| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 166  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:33 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:50 am
Posts: 214
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Until my layers grow out my rope braid will look untidy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 4526
Location: zomgz dijk
Not a problem, but an awesome thing: British Airways gave me vegan margarine, vegan soy creamer, vegan salad dressing and made an amazing vegan rice pudding ("warning, contains soymilk!") with my vegan/veg. meal on the flight from LHR to SFO. The packages had vegan + smileyface! written on them. So, so awesome.

_________________
ॐ लोकः समासतः सुखिनो भवन्तु
http://www.embracingtheworld.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:52 am 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Brighton, England.
I've been having too much fun recently & now I'm tired!

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:14 am
Posts: 59
Location: London, UK
VanillaDoe wrote:
...
Also I keep spending too much money on food. I don't know whats going on, I keep looking in my overflowing cupboard and thinking
'huh? I cant make a meal out of THIS!!' then i'm in the supermarket AGAIN.

...But like... what? I don't understand!! WHY arrghh! I look into my cupboard and think I need more things to make a meal!
Im so not inventive :(

Don't worry about whether it'll taste nice combined together and often you will be pleasantly surprised
(Who knew that I loved fried beetroot, courgette and leeks with pasta? Not me until they were all I had in the fridge)
Also, most of the time if you mix a bunch of vegetables together (fried or cooked in sauce), add some kinda fake meat and pasta/rice/noodles you WILL have a meal that will taste at the least reasonable.
Try adventurous rather than inventive maybe?


First world problem: I give unsolicited advice on the internet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:08 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm
Posts: 1105
Location: Sweden
The cider I used to like tastes kind of bitter now (I think they renamed it and did something to it at the same time, waaah). The English stuff is twice as expensive as Swedish cider too.

VanillaDoe wrote:
Also I keep spending too much money on food. I don't know whats going on, I keep looking in my overflowing cupboard and thinking
'huh? I cant make a meal out of THIS!!' then i'm in the supermarket AGAIN.

Sure i've lotsa things. Lots of fancy vegany things like braggs and furikake and nooch and agave and cashew butter and 3 kinds of rice and mushroom pate and fruit and nut bars, hot sauce, liquid smoke,a can of pinto beans,a can of pineapple, noodles and pasta, dry packets of sosmix and chikin bake and a can of corn and veggie gravy granules and canned mock meat, tvp...
Tofu in my fridge AND freezer, cream cheese, a pepper, 2 vegan fish fingers, 2 vegan sausages.

Throw the pintos, hot sauce, liquid smoke and corn together with some sautéed mock meat and herbs (I assume you have some form of coriander, thyme or oregano and black pepper) and cumin. Serve with rice and pineapple salsa (chopped up pineapple, salt, mint, citrus juice, more hot sauce).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:20 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:46 am
Posts: 1097
Location: Sweden
Chipmunk wrote:
The cider I used to like tastes kind of bitter now (I think they renamed it and did something to it at the same time, waaah). The English stuff is twice as expensive as Swedish cider too.

I tend to avoid cider since I'm not sure which ones are vegan and the Swedish ones are usually so so sweet. As far as I know Kopparbergs is NOT vegan, Kivik can't say for sure, Rekorderlig and Gravendal ARE vegan. Xide may be (depends if there's E120 in them). They were when they were called Xider and only made the Cactus Lime flavour (I'm just that old)... Others I have no idea. Do you know? I'm sad they stopped selling Two Dogs Lemon Brew. I used to like that. Spendrups say they don't use animal ingredients in any of their products and they make Aquatini, but I seem to remember that as being sweeter. I could be wrong. I haven't had either in years!

And now I've totally forgotten what I came in here to post!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:29 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12180
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
My parents are going to loan (hahaha as this assumes an end to medical bills) me the money to buy a new laptop since my 6 year old one is not responding to my best efforts. I need it now for work but new MacBooks should be out soon. What to do?

(have to get a Mac as there is no budget to repurchase Adobe Creative Suite or Office)

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:33 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:46 am
Posts: 1097
Location: Sweden
If you need it for work, shouldn't the school (you're a teacher right?) pay for one?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:45 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm
Posts: 1105
Location: Sweden
fruitbat wrote:
Chipmunk wrote:
The cider I used to like tastes kind of bitter now (I think they renamed it and did something to it at the same time, waaah). The English stuff is twice as expensive as Swedish cider too.

I tend to avoid cider since I'm not sure which ones are vegan and the Swedish ones are usually so so sweet. As far as I know Kopparbergs is NOT vegan, Kivik can't say for sure, Rekorderlig and Gravendal ARE vegan. Xide may be (depends if there's E120 in them). They were when they were called Xider and only made the Cactus Lime flavour (I'm just that old)... Others I have no idea. Do you know? I'm sad they stopped selling Two Dogs Lemon Brew. I used to like that. Spendrups say they don't use animal ingredients in any of their products and they make Aquatini, but I seem to remember that as being sweeter. I could be wrong. I haven't had either in years!

Yeah, I've had the strong Rekorderlig and it's too sugary for me, which is weird because English ciders tend to be on the dry side when the alcohol content goes above 6%. Westons is vegan. It says so on the label. Unfortunately, they don't sell the Vintage here and, as mentioned above, I wasn't in love with the organic one I just had. Maybe I'm just having a weird tastebud day. Thatcher's Green Goblin is also vegan according to barnivore.com, but I haven't seen that here in a while although Systembolaget does carry it (though I prefer Katy or Vintage). I used to live in the West Country where they make that stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:52 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:46 am
Posts: 1097
Location: Sweden
Chipmunk wrote:
Yeah, I've had the strong Rekorderlig and it's too sugary for me, which is weird because English ciders tend to be on the dry side when the alcohol content goes above 6%. Westons is vegan. It says so on the label. Unfortunately, they don't sell the Vintage here and, as mentioned above, I wasn't in love with the organic one I just had. Maybe I'm just having a weird tastebud day. Thatcher's Green Goblin is also vegan according to barnivore.com, but I haven't seen that here in a while although Systembolaget does carry it (though I prefer Katy or Vintage). I used to live in the West Country where they make that stuff.

A few of the Swedish ones are drier. Astrakan comes to mind, but I have no idea if it's vegan or not. The only English one I remember as vegan is Strongbow, which isn't a favourite. I'll check out Westons/Green Goblin next time I'm in the mood for a cider, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:53 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12180
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
fruitbat wrote:
If you need it for work, shouldn't the school (you're a teacher right?) pay for one?


We have work laptops but they are locked down tight: cant install new devices or use wireless networks, so I could theoretically use it at home if I needed no internet and didn't have to actually print or scan anything.

I can do those things in the building, but I'm part time and leave right after school most of my days to go to another job, so I can't hang out there doing my lesson planning.

I also need to do online GeD training and finish some college classes this summer. Not to mention redesigning my curriculum over the summer because the state standards are changing. We are expected to do that on our own time and we don't get laptops over the summer.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:57 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:46 am
Posts: 1097
Location: Sweden
lavawitch wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
If you need it for work, shouldn't the school (you're a teacher right?) pay for one?


We have work laptops but they are locked down tight: cant install new devices or use wireless networks, so I could theoretically use it at home if I needed no internet and didn't have to actually print or scan anything.

I can do those things in the building, but I'm part time and leave right after school most of my days to go to another job, so I can't hang out there doing my lesson planning.

I also need to do online GeD training and finish some college classes this summer. Not to mention redesigning my curriculum over the summer because the state standards are changing. We are expected to do that on our own time and we don't get laptops over the summer.

I see. Bummer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:05 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm
Posts: 1105
Location: Sweden
fruitbat wrote:
A few of the Swedish ones are drier. Astrakan comes to mind, but I have no idea if it's vegan or not. The only English one I remember as vegan is Strongbow, which isn't a favourite. I'll check out Westons/Green Goblin next time I'm in the mood for a cider, thanks.

I'll have to check that one out. Strongbow tastes like apple juice based on what I recall from trying it once.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:22 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12180
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
We are lucky to have those laptops! At my last school, all we had were ancient desktops running windows 98. It had 256mb of ram. It was so miserable to use! It really didn't meet the specs for the attendance and grade book software, so it would take eons to do anything. We had to send attendance on scan tron sheets. This was at a fairly well off district too!

Teachers are pretty much expected to use their own money for all sorts of things, including consumable lab supplies. I'm poor this year, so my classroom has no tissues, no hand sanitizer, no colored pencils, no batteries for some equipment, etc. and I'm in a very well funded district. This is just normal.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6506
Location: Boston, MA
What are the rumors for the new MacBook release date? I would hold off if possible, but if you absolutely need it now, go for it. I mean, it's still going to be an amazing computer and functioning unlike what you have now. Also your parents might want to try the Barclays card. I used it today to get an iPad for me and my dad. Not the smartest thing ever, but I have a year to pay. Dad says he'll pay for it, but I'm going to try to do it myself. I've only bought him one nice thing in my entire life. It'd be nice to make it two. Of course I couldn't get him one and not one for myself, because I'm a greedy, miserable person. How's that for a first world problem?

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:50 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12180
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
The rumors are sketchy. Was April, then mmay, now maybe June, or the fall.

I will wait. My last one held up for 6 years, so I want to get the most updated processor possible.

It's just vexing trying to deal with computer issues now. I should be doing state exam review materials this weekend.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:55 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6506
Location: Boston, MA
Anything you can do on your iPad?

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:02 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12180
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Not without my files. Plus trying to edit a media intensive PowerPoint is too much trouble. If I were creating stuff from scratch, would be tedious but doable.

Basically, I need to condense and combine my last two units. Ill stay late on Tuesday and try to get ahead of things a bit.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:06 pm 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: idontevenknowanymore
ndpittman wrote:
What are the rumors for the new MacBook release date?

WWDC is mid-June (11th-16th). I'd wager if they have something 'revolutionary', they'll show it off then. I'm almost expecting them to not announce a new iPhone this WWDC (since they were only available last November-ish), and instead announce the new Air/Pros, possibly with retina displays

according to Buyer's Guide, there's still a couple of months compared to the average. so a WWDC launch fits in with that.

buuuuut don't hold me to that. it's completely speculation :)

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:09 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6506
Location: Boston, MA
Much luck to you LW. I'd offer my iBook G4, but it's going to my dad too, probably. It depends on what he likes. I don't want to force this stuff on him, but I think he'd really like seeing all the silly pictures and videos and connected with people on FB and whatnot. Plus we'll be able to FaceTime, which will be so, so nice.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:16 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12180
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
joshua wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
What are the rumors for the new MacBook release date?

WWDC is mid-June (11th-16th). I'd wager if they have something 'revolutionary', they'll show it off then. I'm almost expecting them to not announce a new iPhone this WWDC (since they were only available last November-ish), and instead announce the new Air/Pros, possibly with retina displays

according to Buyer's Guide, there's still a couple of months compared to the average. so a WWDC launch fits in with that.

buuuuut don't hold me to that. it's completely speculation :)


Yeah, that seems the best the rumor mill has now. No leaked parts or anything.

Mountain Lion isn't looking too thrilling. I don't want my computers to turn into my iPad!

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:23 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12180
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
ndpittman wrote:
Much luck to you LW. I'd offer my iBook G4, but it's going to my dad too, probably. It depends on what he likes. I don't want to force this stuff on him, but I think he'd really like seeing all the silly pictures and videos and connected with people on FB and whatnot. Plus we'll be able to FaceTime, which will be so, so nice.


On the G4? Mine still works great, but lots of things won't run on it these days.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:11 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA
I flipping ordered a dress a month ago to wear to my sister's graduation next week. I haven't gotten so much as an email that they shipped it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:00 am
Posts: 422
Location: UK
Chipmunk wrote:
Throw the pintos, hot sauce, liquid smoke and corn together with some sautéed mock meat and herbs (I assume you have some form of coriander, thyme or oregano and black pepper) and cumin. Serve with rice and pineapple salsa (chopped up pineapple, salt, mint, citrus juice, more hot sauce).


GENIUS!!!! Will be giving that a shot. Thanks so much!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 am 
Offline
Crazy bat lady
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:59 pm
Posts: 507
lavawitch wrote:
We are lucky to have those laptops! At my last school, all we had were ancient desktops running windows 98. It had 256mb of ram. It was so miserable to use! It really didn't meet the specs for the attendance and grade book software, so it would take eons to do anything. We had to send attendance on scan tron sheets. This was at a fairly well off district too!

Teachers are pretty much expected to use their own money for all sorts of things, including consumable lab supplies. I'm poor this year, so my classroom has no tissues, no hand sanitizer, no colored pencils, no batteries for some equipment, etc. and I'm in a very well funded district. This is just normal.


I thought we had it bad in California, but this is atrocious.

_________________
BoomBoomLegume


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 166  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gunk, mooo, Padraigin and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer