| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 173  Next
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
But the virus has been around (if not known) for almost 100 years though, and was identified in the 80s. It just seems all so arbitrary.

Yeah. I should clarify that what I meant when I said "first identified in North America" was that 1977 was the year of so-called "Patient Zero" or the index case who turned out to be the first identified case of HIV in North America. (Gaetan was the man's name, I believe). But yeah, they didn't identify it as AIDS for the first few years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Also, wasn't the mid seventies the year that there was all that HEP C positive blood accidentally given out? I know someone who got HEP C from that whole shebang, 77 sounds super familiar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I really can't handle seeing my guy only Sat & Sun. Yes, I admit it. I'm needy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

monkeytoes wrote:
linanil wrote:
(Last time was right before Veganstock I and I showed up with my arm violet from the crook of my elbow halfway down to my wrist from them yanking out a clot and me bleeding into my skin.)

The first time I donated the needle came out of my vein and they had to reposition it under the skin - I wound up with a green bruise all the way to my shoulder, which did not amuse the manager at the restaurant I worked at.

I keep trying to donate and get turned away for various reasons - couple times low iron, once they were worried I might be carrying malaria from a trip. Some day I'll donate again!

I am on the marrow registry, though. Got very close to donating once and went through extra testing, but they found a better match.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm terrified of needles. For a while I forced myself to donate blood. But at this point I feel like there are other ways that I can give back that don't require as much stress to me.

/cop out

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Have you tried meditating while doing it? I'm also petrified of needles, but I found that a particular meditation and my iPod help a lot. For getting needles for my own medical care when I can get a ride to the appointment, I take a valium first and also do my meditation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Ariann wrote:
Have you tried meditating while doing it? I'm also petrified of needles, but I found that a particular meditation and my iPod help a lot. For getting needles for my own medical care when I can get a ride to the appointment, I take a valium first and also do my meditation.

I haven't tried meditating, but that sounds like a great idea. Now that I think about it though, I think I might be a lot better with needles than I used to be. I was in the hospital for a few days this year when I had to have my blood drawn every two hours, morning and night, and it really didn't phase me too much. At first I was freaked, but then it just became old hat. Still, the idea of a needle going into my arm makes me way uncomfortable. I guess I've gotten resensitized in the meantime.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:10 am 
WRETCHED

Oh I used to be terrified of needles but then a nurse yelled at me, told me that if I didn't relax they were going to take blood from the back of my knee and for some reason that scared me more than anything. So I just relax and breathe. I'm really ok with them now. I mean, its just a needle, small prick. At least that is what I tell myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

ScooterDiva wrote:
I really can't handle seeing my guy only Sat & Sun. Yes, I admit it. I'm needy.

I don't think it's needy. I manage to get to see mine for a couple of hours one week night, then it's broken up with kid care at the weekend a bit. I wouldn't like to have to go from one weekend to the next to see him. I enjoy living alone and have plenty of friends I enjoy hanging out with, I just really love spending time with him. Wanting to see him most of the week would be a bit needy, asking for more than two nights/days a week, not needy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:07 am 
Saggy Butt

I have a cramp in my foot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:51 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Thanks fezza. He's got a bit of family drama going on right now so is stressed from that, but I think when I see him tomorrow ill ask if we can meet up for a quick midweek dinner or something. It's hard to think about anything else but him!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:31 pm 
Impressive boner

Tofulish wrote:
Living in Europe for 5+ years in the '80s makes me a mad cow risk.

I realise this doesn't change whether you'd be allowed to donate blood, however as people donate blood within the UK all the time I was really curious about this and looked it up. The FDA website states that as the UK has the highest number of cases of CJD and variant CJD (75 cases diagnosed since 1995. There have also been 2 in France and 1 in Ireland. No other European countries have any recognised cases.) "... FDA recommends that donors who have spent six months or more cumulatively in the United Kingdom from 1980 through 1996 (i.e., from January 1, 1980 through December 31, 1996) be indefinitely deferred."

I'm tired and out of sorts today as I was up until 5.30am talking to friends in a bar that we'd played a show at. The free drinks didn't help either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

Another person put their mat too close to me in yoga class yesterday. I had JUST moved after they set up next to me so that I would have a bit more space, which apparently this person took to mean they should take up the space I just vacated. Right as class was about to start, so I couldn't pick up and move to another spot. There was lots of space in the room, why the fork would you do that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I thought I saw Silk nog at the discount grocery store today. . . I got all excited, but then realized that it was just Silk creamer in a big carton (I usually drink my coffee black so don't buy Silk creamer). Which means I have to buy nog at the regular grocery store (because I gotta have my nog), where it costs, like, two whole dollars more.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 pm 
Chip Strong

I really wanted eggplant for dinner and TJ's didn't have any. So I didn't get to have eggplant for dinner. *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

we had on all the christmas lights outside and like all the lights in the house and then turned on the super awesome but power sucking cuisinart toaster oven to heat shells for tacos and tripped the fuse like 3 times while trying to prepare dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 pm 
Kale Wreath

So I decided that it was high time to learn how to wear makeup like an adult and booked a consultation at Sephora so someone could teach me how to wear makeup. It was my first time in there, and there was so much amazing stuff! And the consultant did a great job and it looks really great, but I ended up spending more on makeup than the cost of a winter coat (which I actually need). Good but also kind of sick.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 am 
Impressive boner

I tried to update Firefox but my OS doesn't support it. I've lost all my bookmarks and am now using clunky Safari.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:46 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The last time I gave blood they stuck my artery instead of my vein and didn't notice right away. I had blood spurting from my arm when they removed the needle and I bled under the skin and had a huge black deposit of blood in my arm. I couldn't bend it for a week. I've been terrified to donate blood since.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I want to go see The Hobbit, but all the decent theaters are at malls, and it's a week(ish) before Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 am 
Saggy Butt

I have work tonight, but I would rather lie in bed like a useless shiitake and slowly eat my way through a box of cereal. Man, regular employment for a decent wage is just the worst.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I really hate getting gas. It costs money, makes me late, and makes me think about how awful I am for driving so much. The latter is the worst, but a close second is freezing to death at the pump and looking like an idiot cranking my tank cover because it is so ridiculously tight. And then reminding myself that I am awful again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Just painted our house, and we HATE it, so we have to repaint again. However, I can't start repainting until the weekend so I'm embarrassed of how our house looks in the meantime.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The outside? What color is it? I'm sorry you have to redo it all

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Husband fell asleep while putting baby to bed. Now I can't watch Dexter or Homeland tonight!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 173  Next