| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 155  Next
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So...am I the only person who thinks that taking all of the containers of spoiled food out of the fridge and piling them on the counter for someone else to empty and clean when the sink is already full of dishes doesn't constitute "cleaning out the fridge?" :\

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

Alright.. It could be nice if a mod did that, not sure why we'd want to keep an offensive, ignorant title around :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I put off going to bed for as long as possible because I feel like my night time routine (take out contacts, brush hair, wash face, brush teeth (in particular this one!)) takes so much work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Actually, since I titled the thread, I am fine with addressing why I titled the thread thusly. When I started the thread, which was about 2 years ago, I hadn't really thought about the implications of the reference. Since then, it has been pointed out the ways in which it is problematic, and I agree with those criticisms. If I were starting a thread like this today, I would not use that title. But, I don't personally believe in going back and changing the title of something that I wrote in the past, because I feel that would be kind of revisionist and deceptive, as if I were pretending I never said it. Like, if I were having a conversation with someone in real life and I said something offensive, I wouldn't be able to just magically go back and say "I didn't really say that, I really said this other thing that isn't offensive at all" and make the thing I said go away like that. I used the term, I acknowledge that I used the term, I cringe a bit when I see it now and I understand now that it wasn't a good choice, but I would not be comfortable with just pretending that I didn't make that choice at all.

I would not be offended personally if a mod decided to change the title at this point, especially since this conversation has occurred multiple times in the thread and it's obvious what the original title was. I don't feel entirely right about "changing the past", as it were, but if the title is causing hurt to people, that's definitely not what I want to be doing. I'm okay with it going either way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:50 am 
Huffs Nooch

Nevermind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:07 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I've been contemplating back and forth for months on whether I should sell my mustang which is my pride and joy. I worked on it for years before getting married and have a lot of pride in all the work I have done to it. I've always dreamed of handing it down to my future son/daughter when they get their license. But I only drive it maybe 3 or 4 times a month and my wife and I are trying to save for a house which is going MUCH slower than as planned so it feels like the "right" thing to do. But seriously, I feel like the car is a part of me and there will be a big empty void in me if I part with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:19 am 
WRETCHED

Tynamite, I think the meaning you have may not be the meaning any kids you may have for the car. What about planning to buy a future fixer upper when your children are youngish but not too young? So that it can be the car that they worked on with you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:36 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks Linanil. Some great points for me to consider. I definitely wouldn't project any interest of mine onto my son/daughter unless they truly shared the interest. Whatever their interests happen to be... those will be my new interests too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My cousins fixed up a car with their dad. It took several years and now they travel around to car shows together, showing it off. All three of my cousins LOVE that car. I think what linanil was getting at was doing something like that, where it was a family project.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:11 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Yup it's a wonderful thing when families are bound by a shared hobby that they love. Every time I get close to selling it tho my brain goes "nope mine mine mine". I totally know how selfish that sounds and I then feel guilty.. Maybe I just need a little more time to come to terms with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't think it's selfish to love something you've spent so much time working on at all. But I do think it's a good idea to consider whether you want to make the sacrifice and parting with it, in order to achieve a new goal: buying a house. Buying a house can totally be a new project if you're into those kind of things and if you're handy (which you must be to some extent, considering you managed to work on a car!). But I truly don't think that having sentimental feelings for something you chose to spend so much time on is a bad thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:47 am 
Dead by dawn

I don't think it's selfish to want to hold onto something you put a lot of yourself into. It's not just a possession and it can't be replaced. It's definitely worth considering the upside of selling it, but don't do it unless you can be at peace with that decision. (This is coming from someone whose dad had an affection for cars and motorsports, and who would have loved to inherit a piece of her dad in the form of a car he'd put his work and heart into had there been such a thing, so not an unbiased opinion to say the least!)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:52 am 
Dead by dawn

choirqueer wrote:
Actually, since I titled the thread, I am fine with addressing why I titled the thread thusly. When I started the thread, which was about 2 years ago, I hadn't really thought about the implications of the reference. Since then, it has been pointed out the ways in which it is problematic, and I agree with those criticisms. If I were starting a thread like this today, I would not use that title. But, I don't personally believe in going back and changing the title of something that I wrote in the past, because I feel that would be kind of revisionist and deceptive, as if I were pretending I never said it. Like, if I were having a conversation with someone in real life and I said something offensive, I wouldn't be able to just magically go back and say "I didn't really say that, I really said this other thing that isn't offensive at all" and make the thing I said go away like that. I used the term, I acknowledge that I used the term, I cringe a bit when I see it now and I understand now that it wasn't a good choice, but I would not be comfortable with just pretending that I didn't make that choice at all.

I would not be offended personally if a mod decided to change the title at this point, especially since this conversation has occurred multiple times in the thread and it's obvious what the original title was. I don't feel entirely right about "changing the past", as it were, but if the title is causing hurt to people, that's definitely not what I want to be doing. I'm okay with it going either way.

I think that all of the posts that were already titled with the original title would stay titled that way, so the original title would stay intact, along with the various conversations about it. The new title would show in the list of threads in the Foyer and on new posts, made post-change. (I could be wrong about all of that but I think I've seen it work that way when thread titles have been changed in the past.) If that means anything to you... it wouldn't really be covering up the fact that you said something you don't love that you said at all, instead it would sort of show the evolution of how it went from A to B.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:55 am 

Yeah. Ugh. My dad sold is Corvette for a down payment on a house or whatever it's called. '63, powder blue convertible. I think he and I are both a little sad about it. He's been living in the house for 25 years though, so there's a lot of value in that. He also keeps track of the car. The guy he sold it to do some overhauls or whatever and ended up selling it for a lot more, and it makes my dad kind of proud (and a little jealous, but that's the way it goes). Given that I have no idea what I'd do you in your situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Tynamite wrote:
Yup it's a wonderful thing when families are bound by a shared hobby that they love. Every time I get close to selling it tho my brain goes "nope mine mine mine". I totally know how selfish that sounds and I then feel guilty.. Maybe I just need a little more time to come to terms with it.

I would have a really hard time coming to terms with it, I understand! I'm like this with many things. Sometimes you just get a strong fondness for a material possession and then you're just hooked in for good!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thank you all for your comments. It's very comforting it is to hear that others can relate and identify with my feelings. It's also, very welcoming of you all since I'm new here. I don't mean to sound dramatic, I know we're talking about a material possession not somebody's health or anything, but although it may be inevitable, I think I'll wait until I feel more comfortable with the decision than I do now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:57 pm 

Tynamite, I asked my dad if he'd sell the car again, and he said he didn't know. I think waiting a bit is a great choice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:47 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ndpittman wrote:
Tynamite, I asked my dad if he'd sell the car again, and he said he didn't know. I think waiting a bit is a great choice.

Thanks for asking him. I feel more comfortable waiting after reading the comments here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My dad sold a GTO that he loved after my brother (the oldest child in my family) was born, as they needed a car they could put a carseat in. My brother always said that daddy sold his birthright until he had children of his own and had to trade his (much newer, but still beloved) GTO for the same reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:04 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tynamite wrote:
I've been contemplating back and forth for months on whether I should sell my mustang which is my pride and joy. I worked on it for years before getting married and have a lot of pride in all the work I have done to it. I've always dreamed of handing it down to my future son/daughter when they get their license. But I only drive it maybe 3 or 4 times a month and my wife and I are trying to save for a house which is going MUCH slower than as planned so it feels like the "right" thing to do. But seriously, I feel like the car is a part of me and there will be a big empty void in me if I part with it.

My dad had a '68 mustang that he was saving for me (we kept it at my grandfather's house because he had a suburban house with a big garage and driveway and my parents and I lived in the city with street parking), and my grandfather sold it one day without telling us (my grandfather wasn't usually a jerk like that, but I think he decided that my dad had "abandoned" the car). It's been at least 20 years since it was sold and my dad and I are still a little sad about it.

Of course, you should do what's right for your family and what you need to do for your finances, but having a special car handed down from a parent is pretty awesome if you're able to do that for your child.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

$21 to replace my stupid iPhone charging cord.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Well, just don't get a generic one! Two people in China died! Last week from counterfeit iPhone chargers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 pm 
A Bad Person

vijita wrote:
$21 to replace my stupid iPhone charging cord.

Depending on your model, you could get it for almost half price or less on Monoprice, barring any immediate need (shipping and all).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... 13#1083101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

Tynamite wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but you WILL regret it. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be the "right" move given the circumstances, and further down the road you're probably going to still feel that way largely, but don't think you're not going to kick yourself in the asparagus for it.
I had an old Toyota truck that I wish I would have never got rid of. It wasn't anything special at all, but little did I know some of my fondest memories of my early 20s would be because of that thing. It was a beater and I wasn't necessarily kind to it when I was out on the trail, but it certainly gave me more than one great story. Going on 7 years removed and I still miss it.

Post subject: Re: PSPTYHWAEPACTYP thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:54 am 
Naked Under Apron

Consider history revised!

Mat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 155  Next