| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 173  Next
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:27 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavawitch wrote:
Now we need a new thread for ideas about what this crazy acronym actually stands for. When we get bored with the duller movie thread that could be our new excitement around here.

I thought we already knew. Isn't this where Mat got the title?

~Sz wrote:
Fee wrote:
"Pesky small problems that you have while acknowledging extreme privilege at calling these your problems"

PSPTYHWAEPACTYP thread!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post subject: Re: PSPTYHWAEPACTYP thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:30 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Think of the other endless possibilities though!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

True, true!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lavawitch wrote:
That doesn't make sense. You should be able to put your sim card back in the old phone. But anyway, if you are stuck paying the $150, why can't you just pretend the old one is still not working and just keep the new one? You could send the old one in to a recycling/parts place.

(I don't know why I'm expecting a cell phone companies policies to make sense...).

I am keeping the new (refurbished) one but I have to return the broken one. That's the policy. I'm not sure what they do if it's stolen -that only happened to me with an I phone when ATT didn't have insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:36 am 

lepelaar wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

New annoyance : I just took the bus from Albany to NYC and the woman across the aisle kept smoking. So rude! My seatmate politely asked her to put it out and she just told him to fork off.

What? Isn't that totally illegal? Why didn't the bus driver intervene?

Totally illegal. I take the Chinatown bus because it's so cheap and flexible timewise but the tradeoff is they just don't care what goes on. People smoke pot too. A fist fight broke out once when they overbooked. It's out of control.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished all my shows that I was watching separately from husband, so I started Twin Peaks, which has been on my list for a while, except he came in the room and got into it during the first episode, so now I don't have a show to watch without him again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I can't walk as much as I want to because of a stupid wound on the back of my stupid foot! It started a few days ago, when the old sneakers that I have been wearing for the past 3 summers with no issues decided to rub the back of my left foot raw and give me a blister. I don't wear socks in the summer, because my feet sweat so damn much that socks get soaked through within 20 minutes. I tried putting a band-aid on, but the combination of super sweaty foot and shoe rubbing made it fall off almost immediately, and by the end of that day's walk, I had an open bloody sore. So I went to the store and got special blister bandages that were guaranteed waterproof and could stay on for as long as 7 days, and I put one on. Five minutes into the next day's walk, my foot was so sweaty that the blister bandage was sliding around. Another five minutes and I noticed that it had fallen off and disappeared. So today I tried a combination of brand new sneakers and super-tough-basically-made-out-of-duct tape-and-guaranteed-not-to-fall-off-ever Band-Aids. That lasted for approximately 1 mile, and then the band-aid gave up the ghost, and I had to limp home, slowly bleeding into my brand new ( and light-coloured! Of course.) sneakers.

It's making me sad, because it's been really nice out, and my dog has been really good about walking, and I just want to take her for a nice long walk every day. But my stupid foot is not cooperating.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I can't walk as much as I want to because of a stupid wound on the back of my stupid foot! It started a few days ago, when the old sneakers that I have been wearing for the past 3 summers with no issues decided to rub the back of my left foot raw and give me a blister. I don't wear socks in the summer, because my feet sweat so damn much that socks get soaked through within 20 minutes. I tried putting a band-aid on, but the combination of super sweaty foot and shoe rubbing made it fall off almost immediately, and by the end of that day's walk, I had an open bloody sore. So I went to the store and got special blister bandages that were guaranteed waterproof and could stay on for as long as 7 days, and I put one on. Five minutes into the next day's walk, my foot was so sweaty that the blister bandage was sliding around. Another five minutes and I noticed that it had fallen off and disappeared. So today I tried a combination of brand new sneakers and super-tough-basically-made-out-of-duct tape-and-guaranteed-not-to-fall-off-ever Band-Aids. That lasted for approximately 1 mile, and then the band-aid gave up the ghost, and I had to limp home, slowly bleeding into my brand new ( and light-coloured! Of course.) sneakers.

It's making me sad, because it's been really nice out, and my dog has been really good about walking, and I just want to take her for a nice long walk every day. But my stupid foot is not cooperating.

Do you have any comfy flip flops or sandals?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have flip-flops. But my dog still has episodes of anxiety sometimes, and it just makes me too nervous that she might spook and hit the end of the leash, and that I would trip over my flip-flops and drop the leash and lose her... I am so clumsy in anything but sneakers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:21 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My sewing scissors are missing. Which, as my day job is now making pretty things from fabric about half the time, I can't work. So hooray for unexpected day off, BOO for not making anything to make money.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:57 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

RC: Actual duct tape on top of a bandaid. Use more than you think you need.
(Kinesiology tape is better, but it is $$$)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:10 pm 

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I have flip-flops. But my dog still has episodes of anxiety sometimes, and it just makes me too nervous that she might spook and hit the end of the leash, and that I would trip over my flip-flops and drop the leash and lose her... I am so clumsy in anything but sneakers!

I have done exactly this and fallen onto the street after Bonnie bark/lunged and I managed to step on my own shoe holding her back. Luckily I didn't drop the leash.

Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 pm 
Semen Strong

lepelaar wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Now we need a new thread for ideas about what this crazy acronym actually stands for. When we get bored with the duller movie thread that could be our new excitement around here.

I thought we already knew. Isn't this where Mat got the title?

~Sz wrote:
Fee wrote:
"Pesky small problems that you have while acknowledging extreme privilege at calling these your problems"

PSPTYHWAEPACTYP thread!

We need this reprinted at the top of every page!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Someone could also just start a new thread and call it something inoffensive and uncomplicated?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think it would be a pity to start a new thread when this one's been around so long, but as funny as it is that it's been renamed PSPTYHWAEPACTYP thread, I do think that's confusing for new folks or folks who were gone for a few days and missed the transition.

Maybe renaming it again? Something like "Luxury Problems"? Or "Privileged Whinings"? Or something? (Actually, the renaming of this thread is turning into a luxury problem.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:30 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

kfad--what do you make?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:42 am 
WELFARIST!

lepelaar wrote:
I think it would be a pity to start a new thread when this one's been around so long, but as funny as it is that it's been renamed PSPTYHWAEPACTYP thread, I do think that's confusing for new folks or folks who were gone for a few days and missed the transition.

Maybe renaming it again? Something like "Luxury Problems"? Or "Privileged Whinings"? Or something? (Actually, the renaming of this thread is turning into a luxury problem.)

Agreed. I think that something like 'Trivial Problems' gets the point across and is actually what we're doing here. You don't have to be privileged or luxurious to have most of the 'problems' we're talking about.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:55 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I've been gone for a few days and had to go back a few pages to catch up. I think the new title is funny and kind of cute. And it's easy to figure out if you open it and read a few posts. But it would be helpful to have a mod edit CQ's first post to include the answer to what PSPTYHWAEPACTYP stands for because people will probably be asking a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

tofucheez wrote:
kfad--what do you make?

Right now I am making ornaments and pin cushions and pillows for craft fairs in the fall. That money is money so I can go back to making tea blends.

I am trying to start my other business and need the start up cash. It gets sort of blended together too, because I am working with an artist and when we work together we work on the stuff for each other.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:54 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

choirqueer wrote:
Someone could also just start a new thread and call it something inoffensive and uncomplicated?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=282

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:03 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mrsbadmouth wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=282

I feel like this thread and that thread serve different purposes, though. People really share some serious stuff over there. This has seemed to me a more light-hearted thread where the problems are more trivial and people acknowledge that they're not the most serious problems in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 am 
A Bad Person

Plenty of people post in the worst things thread with fairly trivial worst things. It's not an explicitly sad things safe space.

I don't think another thread is warranted at all. There have got to be at least a dozen threads in this forum that fall within the general category of "complain about your day". And if I had my druthers, I'd smash them all into one giant thread titled as such, seriousness or frivolity be damned. But who am I? I'm just one dude talking.

I'm waiting for the day when the title of this thread ends up being someone's worst thing about their day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:07 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I like the two different ones. It can be hard to vent about the driver that cut you off when someone is saying their dad just died or something. And maybe that means you shouldn't post about it at all if it's trivial, but even venting about the small stuff can feel good because - even though we're complaining here - we're also laughing at ourselves a little bit. We know we're fortunate enough to complain about this stuff. Whereas the other thread isn't really that lighthearted. And sometimes I avoid it completely if I'm in a sad mood already because you never know if you go in there if you're going to get "I just realized I forgot to wear underwear today" or "My cat's dying" - I can take the underwear, but I'm not always emotionally strong enough to think about someone's pain over death.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:13 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

+1 yummy to everything Fee said!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think people who are already familiar with this thread will catch on quickly, and new people would probably need to read the first post in most threads anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 173  Next