| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 156  Next
 Post subject: Re: PSPTYHWAEPACTYP thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:51 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

poopiebitch wrote:
I feel your pain! I had one batch a couple of weeks ago that tempered fine, I even tested it on a metal spatula in the fridge, but then all the molds I filled started blooming. I don't know what I did between testing and filling, but that was frustrating.

Do you have a really good quick-read thermometer? How are you keeping it warm/rewarming as you work? I was using water in a slow cooker set to low, putting the bowl over it and stirring until it came back to temp, but as the amount of chocolate got lower it was heating too quickly and I had a very hard time keeping it from going out of temper. Then I figured out that I can use my hair dryer to blast it on warm for a few seconds at a time as needed while working - it's much easier to control.

ETA: I don't have an electric heating pad, but I've heard others say if you set one to low and put it in a bowl, then put your (slightly smaller) bowl of tempered chocolate on top, it keeps the chocolate warm without overheating.

I have something that was sold specifically as a chocolate thermometer but I'm not sure how quick it is. I've been using a bowl over a saucepan of water and think part of the trouble is the bowl, which is glass. I'll take it off the heat at 85 degrees to be on the safe side and then it sails on way over 90 and I have to start again. Next year I'll have a metal bowl and a zap thermometer! When you say heating pad is that a cooking accessory or like what you'd rest your aching joints on?

Heck, I might even try making a chocolate tempering gizmo. I bet there are Instructables.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:58 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Songza is striking out today. The "energy boosting" playlists are playing sleepy music. It's too early in the morning for this shiitake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 am 
And you never will.

dropscone wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
I feel your pain! I had one batch a couple of weeks ago that tempered fine, I even tested it on a metal spatula in the fridge, but then all the molds I filled started blooming. I don't know what I did between testing and filling, but that was frustrating.

Do you have a really good quick-read thermometer? How are you keeping it warm/rewarming as you work? I was using water in a slow cooker set to low, putting the bowl over it and stirring until it came back to temp, but as the amount of chocolate got lower it was heating too quickly and I had a very hard time keeping it from going out of temper. Then I figured out that I can use my hair dryer to blast it on warm for a few seconds at a time as needed while working - it's much easier to control.

ETA: I don't have an electric heating pad, but I've heard others say if you set one to low and put it in a bowl, then put your (slightly smaller) bowl of tempered chocolate on top, it keeps the chocolate warm without overheating.

I have something that was sold specifically as a chocolate thermometer but I'm not sure how quick it is. I've been using a bowl over a saucepan of water and think part of the trouble is the bowl, which is glass. I'll take it off the heat at 85 degrees to be on the safe side and then it sails on way over 90 and I have to start again. Next year I'll have a metal bowl and a zap thermometer! When you say heating pad is that a cooking accessory or like what you'd rest your aching joints on?

Heck, I might even try making a chocolate tempering gizmo. I bet there are Instructables.

That was the problem I was having with the double-boiler method, too. It just got so hot so fast. I use a glass bowl too, but the hair dryer method seems to work really well. Also, I do just mean an achy-joint heating pad! My thermometer isn't super-fast, but it's good enough. I just have to heat a little tiny bit at a time, and stir well between each time I check it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Star wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
I broke down and asked him! I confirmed! It is one of these:
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-225813-sj ... te-5-count
Do you think that means there are 4 more hidden in this house waiting for me to find them???
Now I can eat it!

I had those last year. I think they only come in the five pack (but I could be wrong, maybe check Sjaaks web page), so there could be more. They are delicious as well. Couldn't get them in the UK this which was very disappointing

Yes! today i was mysteriously directed to the "junk drawer," where I found a purple one! Apparently today's flavor is raspberry filling. But the filling is like chocolately truffle filling, not gooey liquid stuff, and it is SO GOOD. This is fun!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

ameyfm wrote:
Star wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
Do you think that means there are 4 more hidden in this house waiting for me to find them???
Now I can eat it!

I had those last year. I think they only come in the five pack (but I could be wrong, maybe check Sjaaks web page), so there could be more. They are delicious as well. Couldn't get them in the UK this which was very disappointing

Yes! today i was mysteriously directed to the "junk drawer," where I found a purple one! Apparently today's flavor is raspberry filling. But the filling is like chocolately truffle filling, not gooey liquid stuff, and it is SO GOOD. This is fun!

I'm so glad to hear your getting the full set. I *think* there is a caramel one and a peanut butter one. They were my faves.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ameyfm wrote:
Star wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
Now I can eat it!

This is SO CUTE! How thoughtful of him!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

amey, that is adorable!

I ordered lunch (and was halfway through) when my co-worker invited to me lunch at the beer hall. Boo. now I'm sad-fizzgig eating my sandwich when I could have had beer and a pretzel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm going to be checking this thread everyday now to see what flavor you get!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:29 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

lavawitch wrote:

Same!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got kicked out of the living room because my roommate and a friend of hers came home. I was so comfy on the couch!

In protest I am blasting* the 10th anniversary concert of Les Mis.

*for me this is blasting since I usually use headphones. She doesn't though, so I decided to be obnoxious like her since she kicked me out of the living room.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:18 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

how rude! you couldn't all hang out in the living room? or she couldn't take her friend to her bedroom? I'd never ask my roommates to move so i could have a friend over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Well, they didn't tell me to leave, but it's always strongly implied when she was friends over I should? I probably could have stayed there, but I was trying to watch a musical and they are loud and were ignoring me, so it was awkward? Plus, I've had enough people time today and really just wanted my alone time.

Also, my plan to "blast" my music didn't work, cause when I went back into the living room to get something you couldn't even hear it. How loud does she have it for me to hear her music in my room with both our doors closed?!?!?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:48 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I shouldn't have cleaned the kitchen, then made 2 types of buttercream frosting. Now I have a sugary kitchen.
Also I have never come this close to throwing a cake in the garden before (I had it in my hands over my head but someone stopped me).
As soon as I started putting frosting on the top layer stared collapsing. I had to cut about a quarter away to save it but its been salvaged. it looks a mess but tastes good.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:45 am 
And you never will.

I was up until 4am baking and back up at 6:30am for more baking, and I'm still not done. I should be glad that I have so many orders and the ability to earn an income, but I miss sleep and having a life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:48 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

poopiebitch wrote:
I was up until 4am baking and back up at 6:30am for more baking, and I'm still not done. I should be glad that I have so many orders and the ability to earn an income, but I miss sleep and having a life.

Thats so weird. I went to bed at 4:00 (was up drinking with dad watching village of the damned) and was back up at 6:30 because the cat wanted food/attention, but I feel like a million bucks (must be the sugar from the booze). I hope you get some more rest soon poopiebitch, at least you have the cash!

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think it's weirder that you feel great on less than three hours sleep!

Any chance that you could afford an assistant for a while over the summer, poopie? High school students in the culinary programs might be a good resource. You might find one filling to work odd hours here and there for some extra cash and experience without needing steady hours.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

lavawitch wrote:

today's egg is filled with peanut butter (yummerific!!)

He hid the green one next to the green pot on the mantle, and the purple one next to some purple string in the junk drawer... today's light blue egg was in "the little blue vase," and I knew just where to look!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't know what's better: the sweetness of the Easter egg hunt or vegan truffles. Both are rare!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:20 pm 
And you never will.

lavawitch wrote:
Any chance that you could afford an assistant for a while over the summer, poopie? High school students in the culinary programs might be a good resource. You might find one filling to work odd hours here and there for some extra cash and experience without needing steady hours.

I've definitely had people ask if I'm looking for interns before, it just feels weird to me because I bake in my home kitchen. But at this point I would teach someone anything they wanted to know if they'll wash some dishes for me, so maybe I should reconsider.

I finally finished baking at 4:30pm yesterday, then I had to deliver, then I came home and made dinner, then I was out at a friend's birthday party until 11pm. When I got home my feet and legs really hurt, I'd been on my feet almost non-stop for about 20 out the previous 24 hours. When I took my shoes off and got changed I saw that my feet and ankles were really swollen. Like, HUGE. It kind of scared me, and they're still a little swollen this morning, but they're a lot better than last night. I'm hoping if I just take it easy today they'll go back to normal, but meanwhile it hurts so bad to stand and walk around today.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Poopie. Be careful. You knows I luv you too much to have anything bad happen to you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:25 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Usually I can get away with sending liquids USPS, but they found me out this time and I had to switch to FedEx. So I just had to pay to send a package twice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

This long weekend has been amazing, and now it's over!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:03 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

lavawitch wrote:
I think it's weirder that you feel great on less than three hours sleep!

It did finally catch up with me. I spent a few hours of yesterday afternoon asleep & today I've been very weary & teary eyed.
Should be better tomorrow though.

Goodreads

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I just burned my tongue on the curry I made. ow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have been super stressed out lately. I wanted to take next Monday off so I could have a nice long weekend, but I can't find anyone to cover for me. I shouldn't feel so disappointed about it, but I do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 156  Next