| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motorcyclists
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I really love winter and snow, but I miss my motorcycle and riding! I'm excited to get him out of storage so I can sell him and buy a Suzuki S-40 (a bit smaller than my V-Star, but still 650cc).

I didn't miss riding last winter, but I also had less free time last winter. I got him out March 14 last year, so I'm hopeful that I only have a couple more weeks til I have him back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm 
A Bad Person

I've been trying to ride despite the cold, but we just got a solid six inches of snow dumped on us, so I guess I'll just sit on it in the garage and make engine noises.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:04 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh, just noticed this thread! This is my old bike from a few years back 08' Suzuki M50. I was a beginner and it was a bit too heavy and I was too nervous to ride by myself (you know, learning to shift while a car runs you over, MO wasn't the friendliest place for motorcyclists).

I'm currently shopping for a new bike and hoping I'm not as scared in CA. I retook the MSF and it didn't help much with the whole "real world traffic and hills" issues I have. Oh well. I still have to tool around on one of my husbands bikes (preferably the '12 Bonneville, he has an 08 Victory Vegas that is way too big for me to be comfy) and figure that out but he's kind of never available to take me out. Need to fix that very soon. He's been pushing me into a Thruxton or a Scrambler. I looked at Royal Endfields and it was like sitting on a washing machine. The husband rode it and said no. Heh.

Tomorrow he's riding a '13 KTM Duke 690 for me. It's light and has power I need for CA traffic and is easy to move in and out of traffic. The Moto Guzzi V7 has made the look and spec cut too but they didn't have anything set up for a test ride and he's worried that it only holds 2 quarts of oil, blah blah blah. I have a feeling I might become a hooligan on a KTM ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

xanthia check out a Suzuki S40 if you can find one. It's 650cc, but felt like it would be a lot easier to handle than the Yamaha I have. It's lighter and a bit shorter (height and length) than the M50. I've found 650cc to be plenty to get me around Boston and MA traffic.

I don't mind the cold for riding, but with the snow we get here I store my bike for the winter (I park on the street in a high-traffic neighborhood). I've been driving everyone crazy talking about motorcycles, which isn't as good as riding but helps!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need to do the MSF again this spring. Trying to save up for the private course. The group course is too much standing etc for me to handle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Pi, yeah, I saw the S40 but I think I'm over the cruiser style. I was on a KTM Duke 690 today (husband tested it for me) and if I get on his bike a few rounds that one will be mine. I just want to make sure I can get over my anxiety first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

we'll have a huge construction site in the metro for the whole month of march and I'm def considering braving the chaos on the autbahn with my bike. didnt ride too much last year, but this year will be different again. Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:15 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Been a pretty mild winter here, so lots of riding. Rode to work today, which I rarely do. I just got a new two car garage workshop so i can work on some of my project bikes. I love wrenching when I have a good place to do it in.
If any of you are near NYC or anywhere in the NE we should do a vegan ride for lunch/dinner or dessert one time.
I am a teacher and thinking of doing a long 6-8 week trip this summer, just to ride, camp, hike, rock climb, and find the best vegan food the U.S. has to offer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

RichBeBe wrote:
I am a teacher and thinking of doing a long 6-8 week trip this summer, just to ride, camp, hike, rock climb, and find the best vegan food the U.S. has to offer.

Oooh, anything involving riding, camping, hiking, rock climbing, and eating sounds like heaven! Do you want company?? I'm more serious than not... I'm not working and am looking for adventures (which is why I quit my job, to go on adventures!) and was thinking about doing a long motorcycle ride this summer that involved more camping than hotels but wasn't sure about going by myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Pi. wrote:
RichBeBe wrote:

Oooh, anything involving riding, camping, hiking, rock climbing, and eating sounds like heaven! Do you want company?? I'm more serious than not... I'm not working and am looking for adventures (which is why I quit my job, to go on adventures!) and was thinking about doing a long motorcycle ride this summer that involved more camping than hotels but wasn't sure about going by myself.

We can talk. I will be doing a lot of dirt on this trip, and plan on doing a fair amount of the Trans-America Trail so not sure that would work for you. But I wouldn't mind some company for some of the trip. BTW I want to head up to Rumney at some point this spring/summer. Good weekend ride for me from NY. Could be a fun trip for us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just realized I let my permit lapse! I probably have to take the $100 compulsory course in RI again now due to my own laziness! Gag me!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

RichBeBe wrote:
Pi. wrote:
RichBeBe wrote:

We can talk. I will be doing a lot of dirt on this trip, and plan on doing a fair amount of the Trans-America Trail so not sure that would work for you. But I wouldn't mind some company for some of the trip. BTW I want to head up to Rumney at some point this spring/summer. Good weekend ride for me from NY. Could be a fun trip for us.

That sounds amazing! I don't think my bike could handle that type of riding... but now I want to get one that can! I'll have to plan for a bit. Doing some of the east coast part could be fun if it works out. I love Rumney and could easily be talked into a ride up there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:26 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

My friend who is a newish rider rides my little Yamaha XT225. It is the perfect little dualsport and they can be had cheap. When I let her ride it she always washes it for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:31 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I started doing motorgymkhana a couple of weeks ago and I really like doing it.

It's mostly about handling skills, but there can also be a speed element in it if it's a competition.
For me the biggest challenge so far is the mental part of it. Focussing on where you want to go instead of looking where you drive.

I never had this bike so close to the ground before, and doing motorgymkhana makes me feel more confident on the bike.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Nice riding Veg_Eric! I love to lean my bike way over in turns, but i have footboards and end up scraping them so I try not to.

I just got my bike out of winter storage! I rode a tiny bit, but I didn't have time for a longer ride today. Maybe tomorrow. I think I'm going to try to ride everywhere and not take the T. With the exception of when I'm going out and will be having drinks, then I'll definitely take the T or a taxi (I won't ride after ANY alcohol, 1 beer sometimes effects me since I'm pretty small).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:21 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Wasted the crank on my KTM 300 racebike so no dirt riding this weekend. So I am going to combine two loves tomorrow. I plan on riding up to the Gunks (one of the top climbing spots in the north east) and a good two hour ride from home. Meet a few friends who are climbing, run a few pitches and then ride back home.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

Almost had my bike for a year now, still love riding, no accidents minus bike getting knocked over a couple times while parked. Found some good Vegan gear that I recommend (though haven't been down in it). For gloves I got the Motoport Kevlar Race gloves http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=23&cid=14&Itemid=15
and for boots Sidi Fusions http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-fusion-boots that are made of synthetic Lorica -- I really wish I could find more shoes in general that use this material as it looks and wears fantastic so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Gunnar Handsome wrote:
For gloves I got the Motoport Kevlar Race gloves

I'm going to look into those gloves. My winter pair is vegan, but my summer pair has some leather (I tried on SO many pairs before I even found a pair to fit my small hands). I can't buy new gloves for a while, but I'm bookmarking these for when I need a pair!

I love my Sidi boots! I've had them for 2 years. They are great for riding but comfortable enough that I can walk around quite a bit in them too.

Ride safe!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Just an FYI I love some of the Mechanix wear gloves as summer gloves. I had a pair of M-pact's I liked a lot. Cheap, pretty good protection, and wear well.
FWIW I have the first pair of Motoport Vegan Racers he made, they are samples and I have had them since 2007 and they are perfect. My hands sweat a lot when riding and leather gloves never lasted me more than a year or two. These have probably 50k miles on them and many more to go. A good investment if I ever saw one. Though they are pricey.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:30 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Flyingto Austin, TX tomorrow after work for the MotoGP race and from what I hear some good vegan food.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 am 
Tofu Pup

Anyone knows if the Alpinestars Stella gloves are vegan? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14 ... loves.aspx
I'm currently looking for the elusive vegan motorcycle gloves. Preferably one for cold (later), and one that can handle mild cold to warm. The canadian weather can see hot and cool same day. The motoport glove is out of budget for now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 pm 

nyx wrote:
Anyone knows if the Alpinestars Stella gloves are vegan? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14 ... loves.aspx
I'm currently looking for the elusive vegan motorcycle gloves. Preferably one for cold (later), and one that can handle mild cold to warm. The canadian weather can see hot and cool same day. The motoport glove is out of budget for now.

Looks like they could be vegan. The alpinestars website also doesn't mention leather.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:24 pm 

I used to travel like this:
Two textile saddle bags with a luggage roll tied on top of them, and a tank bag for the small stuff and food.

My winter-bike has hard bags and I like them so much that I got a rack fitted on to my "summer/sports" bike.

It's so easy to just toss something in the top-case and just drive off instead of fitting stuff in a rucksack. (cases are 45 liters each)

I aim to (permanently) import this bike to the U.S and use it for at least two vacations if I can.
That's also the reason I had a chain lube system fitted to the bike; that way I can lube the chain with (biodegradable) chainsaw oil and don't have to find or mess with chain lube from a spray can on long trips.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

How would you handle taxes, tags, inspection, etc? Wouldn't all that cost a fortune?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My bike crate is due to hit the dealership Saturday, they should have it assembled by Tuesday! Now to figure out how to get my husband to take off work with me. Hmm....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next