| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motorcyclists
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lavawitch wrote:
How would you handle taxes, tags, inspection, etc? Wouldn't all that cost a fortune?

I don't know how that works or if it's even needed.

Import tax is like 2-4% of the value of the bike. Even if the bike is estimated at a crazy $ 1,000 than import tax would be less than $ 50.

I will keep the Dutch registration active and hope/assume that means I don't have to register at a DMV in the U.S.

I know I can get temporary import (regardless if it meets EPA/emissions standards) but than the vehicle has to be exported after one year, or when the owner leaves the U.S "whatever comes first".

If my plan works out and if I can use the bike for two vacations than it will be cheaper than renting a motorbike for the same time.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:54 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I didn't know that was possible. Property taxes and tags on my bike are over $500/year. With recent increases, might be closer to $700 next year. Our county personal property taxes here are among the highest anywhere. I know a lot of people who don't buy new cars because they can't afford the taxes year after year.

This sort of thing is all local level for the most part. My state registration is pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:32 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Veg_Eric wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
How would you handle taxes, tags, inspection, etc? Wouldn't all that cost a fortune?

I don't know how that works or if it's even needed.

Import tax is like 2-4% of the value of the bike. Even if the bike is estimated at a crazy $ 1,000 than import tax would be less than $ 50.

I will keep the Dutch registration active and hope/assume that means I don't have to register at a DMV in the U.S.

I know I can get temporary import (regardless if it meets EPA/emissions standards) but than the vehicle has to be exported after one year, or when the owner leaves the U.S "whatever comes first".

If my plan works out and if I can use the bike for two vacations than it will be cheaper than renting a motorbike for the same time.

sounds like a cool idea. how much is the shipping? and where would you leave it between vacations?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:10 pm 

jerusha wrote:

sounds like a cool idea. how much is the shipping? and where would you leave it between vacations?

595 pounds (700 euro/ 900 usd -ish) from Southampton in the U.K to New York. For that price they will also crate it for me.

I think (hope) I can rent a storage unit to put it in. If I see TV programs like Auction Hunter or Storage Wars then I get the impression that you can store anything that fits in a unit. If that's true than I only need a 5x10 feet unit.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, you could use a storage unit, but those aren't too cheap. I'd guess at least $50/month. I've bad them at various times, and that's been about the cheapest for a small one with no climate control.

It might be cheaper to buy something from Craigslist and then resell at the end.

There are also some places that just store motorcycles for people who loves in apartments or similar. Depending, this might be a cheaper option since usually you only have access to the bike at the end of the winter season.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:46 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Veg_Eric wrote:
I aim to (permanently) import this bike to the U.S and use it for at least two vacations if I can.
That's also the reason I had a chain lube system fitted to the bike; that way I can lube the chain with (biodegradable) chainsaw oil and don't have to find or mess with chain lube from a spray can on long trips.

With the price of shipping and the value of bikes in the UK versus here, I am pretty sure you would be better off selling that pretty FZ there, banking the money and buying something here.
I replied before I saw another page. If you kept the dutch plates it would be worth it.I have friends who travel the U.S. and store their bikes in storage units, it works well for them. When you get more serious and closer to reality let me know. I live in NYC and have a lot of bike knowledge, good contacts, a van, tools, and work space to get you sorted when you arrive.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:30 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Yeah, you could use a storage unit, but those aren't too cheap. I'd guess at least $50/month. I've bad them at various times, and that's been about the cheapest for a small one with no climate control.

It might be cheaper to buy something from Craigslist and then resell at the end.

Storage units are expensive, that's partially why I won't store it in a big city like Seattle.

Buying something in the U.S is something I considered, but the problem seems to be that I can't register the bike to my name. Like Massachusetts which requires a (U.S) drivers license or other documents that prove residency. And I am not sure how to get insurance coverage at the same day.

RichBeBe wrote:
If you kept the dutch plates it would be worth it.I have friends who travel the U.S. and store their bikes in storage units, it works well for them. When you get more serious and closer to reality let me know. I live in NYC and have a lot of bike knowledge, good contacts, a van, tools, and work space to get you sorted when you arrive.

Thanks for the offer! I will let you know when I know more on what I can do :)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:58 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My motorcycle is now parked in a parking garage at my new home!

The bonus: it's out of the weather, super convenient, and I'll never have to search for a spot. Plus, I think I'll be able to store it there for the winter.

The downside: getting into the garage requires swiping a RFID tag while on a sorta steep incline with my bike on the weight sensor. It's tricky. I think I'm going to try to put the RFID on a bracelet... getting it out/into my pocket was near impossible. I haven't tried to exit the garage, but I'm expecting a similar problem. I have a feeling it will take me a while to learn exactly where I need to be to hit the weight sensor too; took me 3 tries to get far enough up for it to register to open the door last time. Any ideas? I hope I get the hang of it all after a few times.

I'm still considering whether to sell my bike or not... I'm hoping now that it will be convenient I'll ride more so I think I'll keep it for the year and re-evaluate next spring. Or see if I can find a Suzuki S40 to test ride before I commit to selling my Yamaha and buying a Suzuki.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Got my bike today! Trailered her home, I'm exhausted.

Planning a ride tomorrow, maybe after my tennis lesson :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

xanthia, how exciting! Nice looking bike and nice looking rider!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Pi. wrote:
xanthia, how exciting! Nice looking bike and nice looking rider!

Aw thanks! I had to trailer her home though. Too nervous for 3 major highways and a windy bridge. I'll get there, just not on the first round!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:21 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

xanthia wrote:
Got my bike today! Trailered her home, I'm exhausted.

Planning a ride tomorrow, maybe after my tennis lesson :)

Beautiful new Katoom, enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:03 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I haven't been on my bike in weeks! I'm hoping that the rain clears up soon so I can get back on it. I really need to get my guy a helmet so he can ride bisque. He has a huge head and the 2 extra helmets I have aren't large enough for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:12 pm 

I bought a motorcycle today, ...... so now I have three.

It's a 1986 Yamaha FJ 1200, I was told that an Army person bought it in California and imported it into Europe when he was deployed here. Has run 47,000 miles in 28 years.

Came with topcase, original windscreen, tankbag, battery charger, a cover, some tools, repair manual, helmet, (leather) jacket & trousers and a motor-mover.

It does have a few things that need attention, but that's what you can expect for a 28 year old motorbike.

I need to find an excuse for a long distance trip that will allow me to test if this actually does 140-150 mph as they seem to be capable off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Nice! Congrats on the new addition to your family!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Nice! Somebody loved and took care of that baby.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Veg_Eric wrote:
I bought a motorcycle today, ...... so now I have three.

It's a 1986 Yamaha FJ 1200, I was told that an Army person bought it in California and imported it into Europe when he was deployed here. Has run 47,000 miles in 28 years.

Came with topcase, original windscreen, tankbag, battery charger, a cover, some tools, repair manual, helmet, (leather) jacket & trousers and a motor-mover.

It does have a few things that need attention, but that's what you can expect for a 28 year old motorbike.

I need to find an excuse for a long distance trip that will allow me to test if this actually does 140-150 mph as they seem to be capable off.

Nice, new fork springs, and update to the later R6/R1 calipers and you'll have a great ride.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:17 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Nice! Somebody loved and took care of that baby.

Previous owner had it for 13 years and always stored it inside.

RichBeBe wrote:
Nice, new fork springs, and update to the later R6/R1 calipers and you'll have a great ride.

He said the fork springs had been replaced with progressive springs, but I don't know how long ago that was. The R6/R1 calipers won't fit on the early models. Perhaps that at some point in time I might replace the fork legs with the later model version so I could mount those brakes.

The bike is so pretty for it's age that I don't want to store it outside as I do with my other bikes....so for the time being it's stored in my brothers workshop. He likes the bike enough to ask me if he can borrow it some time for a ride with his wife. (his Ducati 748 isn't that comfortable for her)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm not a huge bike fan (I don't dislike them either) but if that were to change I'd totally go for something like that. Looks like it would get along well with my '81 LeMans.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've done 15 miles in a damn parking lot. Time to suck it up and hit the road. I'm getting my bike professionally tuned tomorrow night so it should fit like a glove!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i don't know how i missed this topic either!
I wonder if Alden is still here...?
I have the 25th anniversary model of his bike (mine is a 2007). But i think he sold his?
These pics are a bit old...
2011:

2010:

Thanks to Veg Eric for tips on vegan gear!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:11 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

xanthia... I hope you were in a big parking lot. I need to take mine out to a parking lot soon and practice some super tight turns.

Awesome new bike veg_eric! It's so pretty.
Hi calcio! Nice bike!

I'm still thinking about selling my V-Star 650 and getting a Suzuki S40 Savage. It's less power, but it's a lot lighter and a bit smaller and I think would be better for me. I love my V-Star, but I want something narrower.

A rant:
I moved last month and park in a parking garage now. I thought it would be nice, but I hate it. I much prefer parking on the street and having to remember to move my bike for street cleaning. Mostly getting in/out of the garage is hard - I have to stop on an incline (on the weight sensor), wave a key in front of the thingy, then wait for the door to go up/down, without dropping my key. I dropped my key yesterday and the garage thought I was in but I wasn't so I had to call the security dude to reset it. Also, I've almost been hit twice by minivans who were barreling down the middle of the ramp. That I'm learning how to manage better... turn my headlight on bright and keep way on the edge... practicing tight turns on a flat parking lot soon will help, although I'm having to do them on a ramp in the garage. I'm trying to figure out if there is some way to manage the sensor key (about the size of a quarter, but thicker)... I thought about sewing it into my glove, but I wear different gloves depending on the weather.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:16 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Pi, can the sensor go on one of those keychains with a springy chord for around your wrist?

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I just found a new apartment that has a garage for my motorcycle!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Moon wrote:
Pi, can the sensor go on one of those keychains with a springy chord for around your wrist?

I'll look for one! It's a way better solution than anything I've come up with and superior to moving keys in/out of my pocket in SO many ways. Thanks! I immediately went for the obvious solution of start looking for a new apartment -- I'm going to keep looking but the garage is only one of many reasons. My guy gave me the okay for us to move if I find one.

That's awesome fupapack!

Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next