| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motorcyclists
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:13 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

brian wrote:
I struggle with boots. I have three requirements: vegan, protective, and wearable in an office environment. It seems like I can get two of the three, but they're always power ranger boots or real close to subtle except some huge logo.

Me too - i have been considering these.... have you seen them?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi ... eviews_tab

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

calcio777 wrote:
brian wrote:
I struggle with boots. I have three requirements: vegan, protective, and wearable in an office environment. It seems like I can get two of the three, but they're always power ranger boots or real close to subtle except some huge logo.

Those look like they're made with lorica -- like my sidi fusions -- love that material, looks good, wears well, and held up great in a crash.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:01 pm 
A Bad Person

calcio777 wrote:
brian wrote:

I haven't! So thanks for pointing them out, because these are pretty close to what I'm looking for!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:14 am 

No prob! - and Gunnar, good to know the material holds up!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:29 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have sidi vertigo "racing" boots and an extra pair of normal shoes under my desk at work.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My moto is ready for pickup from the mechanic! New tires (yay!), new gasket thingy (safety, yay), and everything else is good! He said the brake lines are original (1983) so I should watch them but they are fine for now. Now I just have to wait for a non-rainy day to go pick it up (new tires + rain + moto that I'm still getting used to = less than ideal riding conditions).

I've bought a tent and an atlas so I am ready to leave on a 2 month USA moto trip! I'll head out by June 1, but maybe sooner. I'm so excited!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:12 pm 

Wow, lucky you! Hope you have a great trip!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

Can I join the PPK motorcycle gang? I bought a 1968 Honda CB160 from my brother earlier this year. I had no previous riding experience, so I did the safety course & got the licence endorsement. So far I've only been going around on the weekends & expanding by confidence level, but it's been a lot of fun. Anyway, check out my ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Oh, that looks awesome Fridge, congrats!! Take it slow and just build up your confidence, it will come :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:00 pm 

That's great - and a really cool bike!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Bastian (my '83 Honda Nighthawk 650) is doing great this trip! I'm at just under 4,000 miles and besides needing a bit of oil every now and then he is running beautifully. We're in NM now and he's fine at higher altitudes so far. Neo, my moto in S.America hated anything over 2500 meters.

Geared up and ready to leave Boston on June 1. I'm so glad I got the grey jacket (even if it is a little bit too big on me), my black one would have been wicked hot.

A nice picture of Bastian as we entered Colorado the other day. This is fully loaded... and I can travel indefinitely with just this stuff (including camping gear). My mom and I spent a lot of time waxing and polishing him while I was in Iowa, he's buggy and dusty now but still looks way better than when I started the trip!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 am 

Looks great and fun!
Someday I think I would like to do some camping like that. Do you have a tent? If so, what kind? How do you go about finding a place to camp every night? Are there camping places everywhere? And do you carry cooking gear?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have a Big Agnes 1 person that I bought used off a friend so I'm not sure of the exact model. I don't carry cooking stuff right now, but I almost brought my JetBoil stove to do simple meals. Once or twice it would have been nice and if I had a bike that could go on dirt roads better I definitely would have brought it as it would have opened up lots more campgrounds. My bike is probably fine on dirt, but I can only get my toes on the ground so I'm more cautious than I was on my last trip where I could get the balls of both feet firmly on the ground.

I've camped about 1/3 of the nights out... I just do google searches for campsites with a town name or area. Or look in my atlas. I'm at a hostel right now that I could be camping at, but decided to pay a few bucks more for a dorm room. I've stayed in a motel 3 nights (usually on the longer days when I just need somewhere to crash), and stayed with family, friends, and new friends the other nights. There are way more campgrounds out there than I realized that you can drive up to!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:53 pm 

You're lucky with you grey clothing. I wear black and it's 91 F in Northern California.....

Tomorrow I'll start my ride across the country, hoping to do many many miles in the next two days.

I pack way more stuff than you do, but I've found that the more room you have the more you take with you.

This bike (without the bags) will be free to a good home in less than two weeks in the Washington D.C area if anyone wants it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Eric....I may be interested in the bike, though to be honest I would flip it, so want to let you know that upfront.
If you pass through NYC and need a place to crash and a garage to store or work on the bike drop me a message.
That goes to anyone on here. The only caveat is I am a teacher and off for the summer and travel a lot, so not all dates works for me.
Edited to add: I could come down to DC in my van and grab it obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Pi...So jealous and excited for you. When I was 20-years old I packed up my bike 1989 750 Ninja and hit the road for five months. I hit the 49-states you could ride to and put on 37,000 miles. It was an experience I would never trade for anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

RichBeBe, that was a ton of miles! I'll probably end up in the 10,000-11,000 range for 2 months and that feels like I'm moving quickly! I'm doing 400 mile days all too often (and doing 0 mile days pretty frequently too).

I should count the states I've been to. I won't hit all 49, but I'm going through more than I thought I would. Probably over 30 of them by now.
Bastian is doing great as long as I change his oil slightly more often than every 3,000 miles. I really should learn how to do the oil myself... it would save me a ton of money, but I don't really want to deal with it while traveling.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm 

RichBeBe wrote:
Eric....I may be interested in the bike, though to be honest I would flip it, so want to let you know that upfront.

Alden contacted me before you wrote that and he got the bike.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:32 pm 

Pi. wrote:

Bastian is doing great as long as I change his oil slightly more often than every 3,000 miles. I really should learn how to do the oil myself... it would save me a ton of money, but I don't really want to deal with it while traveling.

I wouldn't change oil, or at least not every 3,000 miles. Especially not when you're riding like this.

If I was riding like this I'd extend to 5,000 miles or more.
Oil change is simple, but if it has an oil filter that also needs changing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

It has an oil filter.

The shift pedal starts acting funny around 3000 miles and changing the oil/filter seems to fix it. There could be another problem that I'm not addressing, but to be honest as long as a sort of frequent oil change fixes the immediate issue, I'm not include to dig deeper during the trip. Maybe when I get home, if I keep the moto I'll see if I can figure it out. It's an old bike that was barely used in it's first 30 years... I'm not sure what damage the lack of use could have caused, but it's running and I've almost doubled the milage on it in the last 6 weeks so I think it's doing okay. I honestly don't know that much about the mechanics of motos. I'm learning as things go wrong or need done on mine, but I would love to have space/tools to take them apart and fix everything myself so I understand it all better. Maybe one day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:02 pm 

Pi. wrote:
It has an oil filter.

The shift pedal starts acting funny around 3000 miles and changing the oil/filter seems to fix it.

I honestly don't know that much about the mechanics of motos. I'm learning as things go wrong or need done on mine, but I would love to have space/tools to take them apart and fix everything myself so I understand it all better. Maybe one day.

Yes, that the shifting changes is a sign that the oil gets thinner/older.

I thought about it and it wasn't clear if you just didn't have the opportunity to change oil while travelling, or that you never done it.

Changing oil is in the owners manual, and I have found a workshop manual for your bike too.
If you want to learn more, I could mail those to you and you can always ask me for advice.
(I went to school to become car mechanic, never worked as one but I do a lot of stuff myself)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:07 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Pi. wrote:
It has an oil filter.

The shift pedal starts acting funny around 3000 miles and changing the oil/filter seems to fix it. There could be another problem that I'm not addressing, but to be honest as long as a sort of frequent oil change fixes the immediate issue, I'm not include to dig deeper during the trip. Maybe when I get home, if I keep the moto I'll see if I can figure it out. It's an old bike that was barely used in it's first 30 years... I'm not sure what damage the lack of use could have caused, but it's running and I've almost doubled the milage on it in the last 6 weeks so I think it's doing okay. I honestly don't know that much about the mechanics of motos. I'm learning as things go wrong or need done on mine, but I would love to have space/tools to take them apart and fix everything myself so I understand it all better. Maybe one day.

I worked as a motorcycle mechanic and owned my own shop for many years. If I was traveling like that I would change the filter every other, or maybe every third change. Especially if you are paying someone to do it. I learned that a lot of Harley shops (more so Harley) have oil change pits or places and will lend you the pan if you buy the oil from them. Just make sure to buy the right oil. Learn to do it yourself and you're golden.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Veg_Eric wrote:
RichBeBe wrote:

Alden contacted me before you wrote that and he got the bike.

Not a problem and not sure where you are, but need a place to crash in NYC and a garage to keep your bike, drop me a PM.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've never had to change oil on a moto!
1st wasn't ridden enough and it was done annually as part of winter storage.
2nd didn't have a filter (150cc) so I just added oil as needed and paid a mechanic $5 to change it completely twice.
This one needs it, and I'll learn how when I get home. I don't want to mess with it while traveling. Plus, I'm barely carrying tools.
I have the owners manual, shop manual, and one other book... which I plan to get a lot of use from when I get home. I've worked on cars a ton so I can usually figure out the general problem/solution. Fixing things is the hard part with limited tools/space.

New adventure! The clutch fluid. I'll get it flushed today or tomorrow. It's filthy.
I've been waiting for things to start breaking on the moto. He is 31 and was so lightly used before I got him. But we are 8,000 miles into the trip and he has been amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Trip complete. 11,917 miles, 31 states and 1 province is the final tally.

Bastian needs a new seat cover (his has many rips in it now) and maybe a bit of cleaning. Otherwise, I think we both came through it okay!
I'm looking forward to easy rides around MA now! And maybe not riding for a few days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next