| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Motorcyclists
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:52 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Congratulations! It must have been an awesome trip that you'll remember for the rest of your life.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

It was amazing! The problem I have now is that I want to ride every day. I'm having motorcycle riding withdrawals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Awesome,a trip you will never forget.
I just got back from a "cheating" trip. Had two dual sports, with a set of street and dirt rims and all of my riding gear in my van. We rode a bunch of days, and climbed others. I might take a 10 day or so trip starting next week on the bike. Still undecided on when, how long, where, etc. I need to be back by the 1st of September since work starts on the 2nd (stupid back to school)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

So I love my old Nighthawk, but I'm lusting after a Honda CB300F (which isn't out yet). I mean, I really really really want a KTM 390 Duke, but that isn't coming to the USA for a long while, if ever. As soon as a dealer has the CB300F, I'll be there sitting on it making vroom sounds to see how it feels.

I haven't done much night motorcycling... are there glasses that help cut down the brightness of all the lights at night? My eyes really hurt after 1.5 hours of it from the headlights and the light from my controls. I just had my clear face shield down. I have light sensitive eyes, I wear sunglasses in the day (with foam so they are pretty tight fitting) and on bright days flip down my helmet's built-in sunglasses thingy over those for double protection.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 am 
Nailed to the V

I have a Duke 690, I was excited about the 390 but I don't think I'd want to go lower in a thumper for how much (and crazy) my highway commutes are.

I don't know about the glasses, my eyes are light sensitive too but I haven't had any issues, I also don't really ride for hours at a time though (re: thumper).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:20 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I think the thing with night driving is that you have to learn not to look into the lights of oncoming cars.

I have seen those yellow sunglasses at truck stops that are supposed to improve night vision, but I don't know if that would improve your problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't think I was looking at the oncoming traffic, it was a divided highway so they weren't really a concern... but maybe I was more than I realized, I'll pay more attention to that next time. I think I'll try the yellow glasses, it was worse with my clear shield down but I couldn't ride at 65mph with it up without glasses (sunglasses weren't good, helped with the light but made the dark stuff invisible). It's not a problem riding in the city at night, I guess there is enough light pollution. Once I get out of the city all the lights hurt my eyes, headlights, taillights, my controls, the police car, etc.

I'm happy to be riding again though! 10 days not was too long. SO glad that Bastian was an easy fix.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Some faceshields distort ligght differently. I has an Arai helmet that drove me crazy. I never figured it out until I replaced the helmet and all was well. Also depending on what bulbs are in your gauges you may be able to swap them out to something else. I swapped all of the bulbs in my DR for LED's to lessen the draw on the stator since I run auxiliary lights and in winter heated gloves and vests. I noticed how different the light was on my eyes. Not sure if better or worse, but different.
I ride a lot of different bikes and often put long days on a DR650 (big thumper) and I love singles but you would hate the CB300 on any kind of road trip. I rode 510 mile yesterday about 150-175 dirt, 250 or so twisties and 100 or so slab. I could not imagine doing that on a 300 single.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'll try riding at night with my other helmet to see if it is better! And I've been thinking about switching my lights to LED (gauges and headlight), but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this is a good reason to do it!
I'm thinking of the CB300 more for around the city and short trips. I won't have time to do another long trip for a few years. I still love my Nighthawk. I'll check out the CB300 when they come around, but unless the Nighthawk starts needing a lot of work I'll probably keep him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:46 am 
Saggy Butt

Finally got some dirt experience last weekend... A lot of fun and gained a lot of confidence riding on loose stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That looks like a lot of fun! And so pretty too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:28 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Gunnar Handsome wrote:

Finally got some dirt experience last weekend... A lot of fun and gained a lot of confidence riding on loose stuff.

It really is helpful for bike control and getting used to things not going perfectly which they do in the real world.
Back in the late 80's/early 90's I roadraced somewhat successfully. Well I mean I made it to the expert class and would finish in the top 10 most of the time. Hell I even beat some kid you may have heard of if you following racing, his name is Nicky Hayden. He was like 13 and I was early 20's and I had about double his power and I just beat him. However lots of crashes and some broken bones I realized I was not going anywhere and stopped racing.
Fast forward to 2008 and I rode offroad for the first time. It made me such a better rider. I don't mind the front end sliding (to a point) the back end being loose is normal and fun now. If I rode dirt back then I know I would have been a better racer. I might have even been a frontrunning expert, but alas I didn't.
My long point is everyone should ride some dirt at some point in the riding life to make them a better rider.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

RichBeBe wrote:
My long point is everyone should ride some dirt at some point in the riding life to make them a better rider.

I fully agree with this. Riding on dirt (on my little 150cc street moto) made me SUCH a better rider in general, even now that I'm on a larger moto. I went way too slow and stuff when I first got on dirt, but after 500km or so, I had figured it out and loved it. I can't imagine how much fun dirt would be on a moto made for it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got a silver half cover for my moto! I love it. We moved Sept 1, so now I park on a fairly busy street, usually in the last spot on the block (near a busy corner). I feel like my moto isn't very visible with my black cover so I left it uncovered expect for rainy days. Now I can cover it more because it is even more visible with the silver cover than without!

I'm also starting to meet the other people who park on this block a lot and some of the homeless people that hang out nearby. It's nice to know the people around here and I think they'll be more careful of my moto since they know who it belongs to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9