| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motorcyclists
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

brian wrote:
I'll hopefully be getting into a MSF basic rider's course tonight! They've got a bunch of walk-in seats available and I'm getting there early to get one. If not, I'm confirmed for a seat next weekend. I am TOTALLY EFFING EXCITED!

So exciting!

I can lift my Harley again, thanks to all the physical therapy, so I'm going to hopefully do a few private refresher lessons next month so I can start riding again. It's been so long that I've ridden, that the big bike is intimidating.

What kind of bike did you get?

MBM, when are you getting your own bike?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:48 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

lavawitch wrote:

About half past never! My fears aside, I can't even afford a helmet so Brian can ride me around.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Two weeks? We got ours day of the test. That was the only time I've ever not hated waiting around at the DMV.

Check with the DMV. It is possible that they will give you a temp license until you have all the official stuff. I got a 2 week temp since the actual license was mailed.

Just remember that you go where you look, so don't look down.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

mrsbadmouth wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

About half past never! My fears aside, I can't even afford a helmet so Brian can ride me around.

Famous last words.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:54 pm 
A Bad Person

2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. It's a big bike but I'm going to be taking it on the interstate on a regular basis over the summer.

Quote:
Two weeks? We got ours day of the test. That was the only time I've ever not hated waiting around at the DMV.

Check with the DMV. It is possible that they will give you a temp license until you have all the official stuff. I got a 2 week temp since the actual license was mailed.

The course site said they mail out cards two weeks after the course finishes. Which is a bummer, particularly if I didn't take the initiative to get my learner's permit first. What do they expect me to do? Sit on my thumbs for two weeks and let whatever skills I learn rot?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Those are nice bikes. My dad used to have a similar one.

This thread needs more photos.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:18 pm 
A Bad Person

It came with the sweet aftermarket seat, saddlebags, highway bars, passenger backrest, and quick-release windshield!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Nice bike! That windshield will really be great for highway riding. I need to get one for my bike eventually. They aren't cheap though, so you got a great deal finding a bike so fully loaded.

(get thee some boots, stat!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Here is mine. I haven't done much beyond sit on it lately since I've needed my dads help to lift it on and off the stand. Hopefully I will have new photos in a few weeks. Getting it back on the stand is still tough because my right leg is the weak one, but I can lift it off now and back the bike up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Awesome bike brian! I almost bought a Shadow 750, but I couldn't reach as well as on my V-Star 650. You'll get used to the size in no time, mine felt huge when I got it and now it's no big deal! I'm jealous of your quick release windshield... I don't like using the windshield except on the interstate and mine is a pain in the asparagus to put on and take off. My bike came loaded with all the other stuff yours did plus a small tank bag and a small handlebar bag. Maybe I'll price quick-release windshields this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:54 pm 
A Bad Person

Well I have a triangle shaped sunburn on my face, my neck is burnt, and I'm probably rather dehydrated, but the MSF has certified me as safe enough to ride on Illinois roads! Except for the really rather dry classroom portions, it was a lot of fun! I got to spend my weekend riding around on a little Suzuki TU250X and learned a lot. Now I just need to decide if I want to wait for them to send me my card before taking it to the DMV to waive my riding test, or just take the riding test since I've already done it, and I'm rather confident I can do it again on my own bike, and I'm impatient.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Woo! Congrats.

You will have so much fun.

Do the advanced MSF if you can.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lavawitch wrote:
Do the advanced MSF if you can.

I've been debating whether to do this or not. Sounds like you did it... and it's worth it?

I might have to ride in the rain tomorrow... blah. I have to move my bike before 8am Tues (I wake up at 8am so Tues morn is not an option). I can ride in the rain, I just don't really like to. Especially if it is just to move my bike to a different parking spot (so riding a total of ~8 blocks to circle around to where I want to put it). I would just ride to work in the rain, but I don't have rain gear yet!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No--I was signed up before my back surgery, but almost everybody I know who rides speaks very highly of it, even if they already have a lot of experience. You use your own bikes, and it is only one day. Also, riders on the Harley forums mostly all say it is very helpful, especially in terms of safety.

I'll certainly do t as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lavawitch wrote:
No--I was signed up before my back surgery, but almost everybody I know who rides speaks very highly of it, even if they already have a lot of experience. You use your own bikes, and it is only one day. Also, riders on the Harley forums mostly all say it is very helpful, especially in terms of safety.

I'll certainly do t as soon as I can.

Thanks! I'll look into doing it sometime soon, before it gets sweltering hot outside! I'm game for anything to help me ride safer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I should have clarified that I hadn't yet done it and was just passing on the recommendation.

But a huge plus I forgot to mention is that most insurance companies will give a discount. I've got Progressive and they said they do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I never come on here, and I saw people looking for pics so I am going to oblige.
My main bike for transportation, trips, etc.

My knock around city bike, which my roommate is slowly claiming.

I told her if she is going to use it she better wash it, so she did.

My old racebike that I sold yesterday

My new racebike

I also have a few other bikes that I might post later. Counting bikes that are apart between my two garages there are nine bikes (maybe enough for 11 actually) in them.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

RichBeBe wrote:
I never come on here, and I saw people looking for pics so I am going to oblige.
My main bike for transportation, trips, etc.

I also have a few other bikes that I might post later. Counting bikes that are apart between my two garages there are nine bikes (maybe enough for 11 actually) in them.

I never drove a TDM 850 myself but I've heard it's a nice bike to drive from others.
I don't have experience on off-road bike so I can't judge the other ones.

Bought a new helmet today cause the "hand me down" helmet I had was getting too loose on my head; got myself a Shoei XR-1100
This one has a pin-lock visor and I hope that will be an improvement on what I had in terms of fogging up the visor.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nice helmet Eric! I'm tempted to buy some new gear, but my stuff is not even a year old so I can't really justify it.

I've been riding quite a bit over the last month, but lately it's been rainy and yucky out. I learned last weekend to not ride while hungry... it makes me weak enough that some of the more difficult maneuvers result in my bike on its side (slow u-turn on a hill, I laid it down from basically a stop... luckily my bike is tough and can take it). Longer rides will include more snack breaks now!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:05 pm 
A Bad Person

I finally got a serious riding jacket (tour master transition 2) and made my first trip outside of town: almost 200 miles roundtrip to a local state park and back! I stayed off of the freeway because I'm still not entirely comfortable with the amount of traffic but I got a nice tour of rural Illinois. I only stopped twice, once at the park, and once to fuel up on the way back.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The one time I rode without full gear (I had on all but my riding pants) this year is the one time I felt like I might lose control of my bike. I need to find riding gear in grey/silver/white/light color so I can wear it without overheating this summer. My stuff is mesh, but black, and gets really hot!

And now I know what happens when I slam on my brakes and stop quickly from 45 mph. Rear tire did some nice slipping back and forth, but I kept it all upright and came to a stop without hitting the idiot in front of me (who slammed on their brakes for no apparent reason). There was a split second where I told myself to tuck and roll if I went down!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:30 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Pi. wrote:
And now I know what happens when I slam on my brakes and stop quickly from 45 mph. Rear tire did some nice slipping back and forth, but I kept it all upright and came to a stop without hitting the idiot in front of me (who slammed on their brakes for no apparent reason). There was a split second where I told myself to tuck and roll if I went down!

I was told (during an advanced driver course) to do emergency stops without using the rear brake.

The rear brake won't do much and when you lock up the rear wheel; it just makes the back end waggle it's tail.

In some occasions it can be useful to slow down (brake hard), then release the brake and swerve around the object.
I know from experience it can be hard to disconnect from "fear" and target fixation*.

*target fixation: what you look at or get fixated on is where you're going or what you're gonna hit.
It can be hard to "ignore" the thing you're gonna hit and (purposely) look towards where you want to go.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Veg_Eric wrote:
Pi. wrote:

I was told (during an advanced driver course) to do emergency stops without using the rear brake.

The rear brake won't do much and when you lock up the rear wheel; it just makes the back end waggle it's tail.

In some occasions it can be useful to slow down (brake hard), then release the brake and swerve around the object.
I know from experience it can be hard to disconnect from "fear" and target fixation*.

*target fixation: what you look at or get fixated on is where you're going or what you're gonna hit.
It can be hard to "ignore" the thing you're gonna hit and (purposely) look towards where you want to go.

Thanks, Veg_Eric!

I thought it through after the fact and realized I should have slowed and swerved around the car. I usually figure when someone slams on their brakes, they are stopping for a pedestrian so I'm hesitant to swerve around and be the one to hit the pedestrian (people don't follow crosswalks or use common sense while crossing the street here). I'll practice doing some quick stops with just the front brake. And not speed as much on that road.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:28 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Went for nice wet ride tonight for some vegan pizza and then some vegan ice cream. It was raining for the first half of the ride, but the second half was dry and led to some Lula's soft serve.
I do need some new waterproof boots, so guess it is time to spend some more money. There is a great deal on some Forma boots http://www.real-rider.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=134

I've been working on some of my RZ350 projects, here is my favorite stocker I recently sold.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:11 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

RichBeBe wrote:
Went for nice wet ride tonight for some vegan pizza and then some vegan ice cream. It was raining for the first half of the ride, but the second half was dry and led to some Lula's soft serve.
I do need some new waterproof boots, so guess it is time to spend some more money. There is a great deal on some Forma boots http://www.real-rider.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=134

I've been working on some of my RZ350 projects, here is my favorite stocker I recently sold.

Those RZ's are awesome!

Sadly we sold our bikes over the winter and don't expect to replace them anytime soon. As much as I loved my VF it killed my back and was starting to show its age and needed some care I wasn't able to personally give it. My wife's rebel got sold because she had outgrown it skill-wise and we knew the new baby was going to prevent either of us from riding anytime soon. Maybe in a few years we can get back into it with a larger set of cruisers more suited to our riding style.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next