| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452 ... 590  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the best thing about your day?
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I went through my clothes, the kid's clothes, the kid's stuffed animals, my bookshelves, inventoried the pantry [i need to use everything up in the next 2 weeks], washed clothes, made up bags for donation, made vegan ham, and made caramel corn [which is too salty and is the only bummer of evening]. I am getting shiitake done.

now if only i could get myself to sit down and work on work, i would be really productive.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:17 pm 
And you never will.

I've been feeling pretty overwhelmed and a little down lately, but as I was delivering an order to the cafe I bake for earlier someone stopped me on the way in to ask if I made the desserts there, and when I answered yes they said a bunch of really nice things about my desserts and how much they enjoyed them. Then later as I was leaving a table of people saw me carrying out the empty cupcake containers and did the exact same thing (even saying they loved me! ha!). It made me feel really good.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I've had such a shiitake week, but you know what? Today was great. Went for a challenging (for our group! which includes a 1 year old and a 4 year old) and rewarding 4 hour long hike and just spent the whole damn day enjoying being outside and not thinking about any of the shiitake that's been bringing me down. Sometimes that is what I really need, just a fun sweaty distraction.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Being an adult. Chocolate chip cake for dinner + in bed before 9pm? Yes please!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My friends' wedding! I love weddings!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:37 pm 
Dead by dawn

I was going to say squashing my anxiety about riding in traffic, getting lost, breaking down, etc... and doing a long ride on a new route alone. But then I heard from biker boy (who's on vacation a jillion miles away) when I got home and that was pretty great too, especially since he was proud of me for not just copping out and riding on the multi-use trail like I usually do. It's like a marriage of best things about my day.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:35 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I had a really, really ridiculously awesome yoga week!

-First pincha in probably 6 years. This is a Big Deal, since my shoulder's been screwy ever since I had neck surgery 2.5 years ago. It's pretty much back to normal and I now have enough strength to do a pose that's this shoulder-intensive.
-First tripod headstand to chaturanga.
-First time standing up from wheel using the wall (being mildly tipsy at the time must have given me courage, 'cause I haven't been able to do it since).
-First arm pressure pose.
-My crow is getting really steady. So steady that I was able to jump back to chaturanga for the first time. Sort of. It was a bit of a bellyflop. But still!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I actually managed to make myself spend over two hours working on writing a paper and studying for a final I have on Tuesday evening.

It's not nearly enough, but I have been in such a funk this past week that even this little of a start is something.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Bittersweet but best thing - my ex-bf and I resumed communication, and I spent the best weekend with him. Heartbreaking because I'm permanently moving away in 2 weeks, but I've never stayed on friendly terms with an ex before, and it would be great to keep him as a friend in my life (even if he wasn't a superb bf).

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 am 

Updates from mom about grandma. In the past 48 hours, they've drained more than 20lbs of fluid (!)***, and she's still weak/frail/incoherent, but able to move around a bit, including sitting in a chair. Mom gave me her number, which I can't call (I call the US with Skype, and the hospital doesn't accept Skype calls), but 2 of my friends love my grandma a lot, and they're going to surprise her with calls and loves 'from me'.

Not out of the woods yet, but I like that things are looking up for grandma, even in bits.

***My guess is they have to drain 40-50lbs of fluid before she'll look "normal" again. Her heart's failing in a pretty major way, and isn't strong enough to deliver nutrients or remove waste anymore, so everything just kind of sits in her body and slushes around. Even though this draining intervention is awesome, and will improve her quality of life in the super immediate short term, I want to know what, if anything, they can do to help my 91-year-old grandma long(ish) term.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lutin wrote:
Mom gave me her number, which I can't call (I call the US with Skype, and the hospital doesn't accept Skype calls), but 2 of my friends love my grandma a lot, and they're going to surprise her with calls and loves 'from me'.

You should be able to call with your cellphone. Probably smart to check rates before you do, but it should be possible.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your grandma.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Wowwwww lutin. That's a dang lot of fluid. (Coincidentally, another friend of mine has an ailing grandmother who was just drained of fluids. Grandma draining! Who knew that was a thing!) Anyway, I'm so glad to hear that she's a little more comfortable at least. You're still both in my thoughts.

My best thing is that even though today promises to be an agonizing endless shiitake shovel of a day, it is the last day of my semester and that is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got a call back about a paid summer internship! I was napping when she called, so I have to call back in the morning, but yay! It's more on the business end of things and has absolutely nothing to do with my major (Ecology and Conservation Biology), but it's money and experience. Really, really hoping this pans out!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:35 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Surprise breakfast with Jojo and Cupcake Kitteh! So delightful.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:31 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

john hodgman explaining why batman would beat yoda in a street fight. i don't even agree, and it's still the best thing i've ever heard.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Our A/C was fixed yesterday. I'm so so glad it works!
Fred and I went to a really fun wine dinner at the offices of one of our distributors last night. All the food was vegan, aside from a cheese/charcuterie plate and some kind of pork thing. I have to email my rep and get the recipe for this one dish: bulgur, chickpeas, little brown lentils, cherry tomatoes, arugula and awesome. So good. And we got to hang out with the girl that had my job before me, who is now a buyer at another store. I miss her!
Cherries showed up in the produce department the other day, and they went on sale today. I <3 cherry season and will eat waaaaaay too many bags.
Just finished a really awesome gratitude-centric superstretchy yoga class. Yoga has really become the best thing about most days.
And I just realized that if you hold shift + cmd + delete on a Mac, it deletes whole words at a time. I love learning silly little shortcuts like that.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:39 am 

42 minute-long call with a super compassionate Delta rep. who sweet talked her supervisor into making an exception for my unchangeable ticket so I can fly home a week early to my grandma (who is 30lbs lighter thanks to massive fluid drainage, but still in the hospital). Home on Monday at 11:45am means seeing grandma before 3pm. AWESOME.

(Many, many gold stars and bonus points to that Delta rep.)
(Also, cheers to whichever PPKer said "apparently draining grandmas is a thing?" because it still cracks me up whenever I think about it.)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lutin wrote:
42 minute-long call with a super compassionate Delta rep. who sweet talked her supervisor into making an exception for my unchangeable ticket so I can fly home a week early to my grandma (who is 30lbs lighter thanks to massive fluid drainage, but still in the hospital). Home on Monday at 11:45am means seeing grandma before 3pm. AWESOME.

(Many, many gold stars and bonus points to that Delta rep.)
(Also, cheers to whichever PPKer said "apparently draining grandmas is a thing?" because it still cracks me up whenever I think about it.)

What a lovely thing for her to do! I'm so glad you're going to get to see your grandma soon.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I got a ticket to go & see one of my favourite comedians tonight. The gig had sold out immediately that tickets went on sale. So I asked to be put on a waiting list if there were any returns & YAY there were!! Really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:55 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Who is the comedian?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:38 pm 
Impressive boner

I've just seen Brucie Bean jumping around (in guinea pigs this indicates happiness) and I just read that Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is releasing a new album next month.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:49 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

tickets have been purchased. Lutin, today the airline gods seem to be smiling at us.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Hurrah T! So looking forward to seeing you!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

So am I! So excited! So terrifying! TOO MANY EMOTIONS ^explodes^

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Awww! One day at a time! And I hope that this journey brings you a lot of peace and clarity for whatever you decide.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452 ... 590  Next