| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485 ... 592  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the best thing about your day?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:12 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Norelle wrote:
I've been without a table in my house since we broke ours on mother's day (the whole thing cracked down the center when we tried to take out the leaf!) and I saw an amaaaaaaaaaazing table handmade out of reclaimed wood with a not-so-amazing price tag of $2400, which i texted a photo of to my mom.
She then went out and garbage picked a table, fixed it, weathered it and stained it greyish, and literally it cost her the 10 bucks for the stain and the time it took her to pound on it with a hammer and put the stain on.

New table by norelle!, on Flickr

Honestly, it's sooo close to the one i liked. My mom rules.

That is awesome! Your mom is awesome!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:29 am 
Saggy Butt

lepelaar wrote:

That is awesome! Your mom is awesome!

I know! she's the best!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

j-dub wrote:
junkyardblues wrote:
Two of my supervisors and a co-worker at my internship told me they wanted to hire me today. They told me how proud of me they were and how amazed they were. They don't just offer jobs to anyone. The type of field I am interning in is one of the hardest jobs to get, and they only accept the cream of the crop out of school for internships. So, this is a big deal for me.

They said that they wouldn't be able to take me right away, but one of their fellow co-workers is going to be moving soon, so a position is going to be open. They want to hire me at that point. They told me to go ahead and put in an application so they will have all of my paperwork and information on file. This way they can just go ahead and tell me when to start once the position opens up, and I won't have to jump through any hoops of fire (super long and involved application which also involves a medical history) come time for them to hire me.

I am so excited!

That is fantastic! Congratulations! What kind of work do you do?

Some people here will probably not like me for this, but I am currently interning as a veterinary technician for laboratory animals (I work with a lot of different species). I went into this line of work in order to make a difference in these animal's lives (who actually do more for us than a lot of people realize), to provide them with the best health care I can give them, and to be an advocate for their welfare.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I just saw Green Day play Dookie all the way through!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jojo wrote:

That is so awesome!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:37 pm 
ugh

Norelle, that table is beautiful! I am jealous of your mother's skills. Would she like to make me a new coffee table?

As I mentioned in the worst things thread, my dad passed away last week, but the calling hours and funeral couldn't happen until tomorrow and Friday, so I took the week off from work and I've kinda been trudging around back and forth between sadness and numbness, not really wanting to do anything.

Anyway, I had expected today to be particularly bad because my fiance couldn't take today off of work so I was by myself, but I got a good night's sleep for once and felt much closer to normal. But I got myself showered in the morning - like a person! - and went to pond with a little beach to go swimming for the first time all summer, even though it took an hour to get there. I actually had a nice time, didn't get sunburned, and made the bus both ways exactly on time. THEN I came home to some very nice sympathy cards and vegan Starburst from paperweight! THEN a couple of my friends came over and surprised me with macaroni salad, soup and chocolate pecan pie!

This post is kinda long, but I'm just so overwhelmed by niceness from people. I've gotten so many kind messages, my coworkers sent flowers, and some friends who never even knew my dad are coming to the calling hours. I really feel loved.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:48 pm 
Semen Strong

(((Hugs b.viscious))))) I am glad you're feeling loved <3

Also, paperweight is awesome <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:55 pm 
ugh

Tofulish wrote:
(((Hugs b.viscious))))) I am glad you're feeling loved <3

Also, paperweight is awesome <3

She really is! :)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Awe, b.viscious, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your dad. But I'm really glad to hear that there are lots of good people taking care of you and doing kind things for you. Hugs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:06 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

After Berlin'ing with NatureBoy, I changed my OkC prefs to "friends,etc." and last night, he asked what he should do to his own account (I told him, Dude, you have to decide that!) and so he did, too, and shyly asked about words to use. It sounds like he would already like to be girl/boyfriended, which is both sweet (aw! he's smitten, too!) and silly, but I'm all for it. After the weekend. :P He's coming here tomorrow (for 4 forking days!) and . . . I have been counting down the days-until-Friday all week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I noticed a new yoga/pilates/barre studio had opened up a block from my work/across the street from my new apartment. I decided to give it a shot since the vinyasa class times and location are super convenient for me. Turns out they've only been open two weeks so I was the only student. I got a private session for the cost of a group class. So rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got hired during an interview today!
it's just a team member job at Joanne fabrics+crafts, but they're hiring all of the hours I need to work and it's a job that doesn't take much energy (which I need since I'm full time student-ing with grad school) !

also, it was nice to not have to convince someone to hire me, for the past few years I've looked pretty bad on paper, but she seemed set on my from the beginning! plus she didn't turn me down as soon as she saw I had visible tattoos, which has happened twice to me this past week so yay!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay, Boober! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Good stuff Boober, congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:55 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Boober, yay for employment! And I'm sure you'll get to put your artistic and creative skills to work helping customers with project ideas and setting up inspiring displays etc. Not that it's like a dream job in the arts or anything, but it sounds like a good situation for you right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jojo wrote:

Oh wow exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:03 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

yaaaay Boober!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

booberthefraggle wrote:
it's just a team member job at Joanne fabrics+crafts, but they're hiring all of the hours I need to work and it's a job that doesn't take much energy (which I need since I'm full time student-ing with grad school) !

also, it was nice to not have to convince someone to hire me, for the past few years I've looked pretty bad on paper, but she seemed set on my from the beginning! plus she didn't turn me down as soon as she saw I had visible tattoos, which has happened twice to me this past week so yay!

go team boober!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So, yesterday and today have been my first two days at my new position, which is actually the exact same position, just at a brand-spankin-new location. It doesn't actually open until next week, but we're setting up. My department is only three people, and the manager happens to be one of my closest, dearest friends. The other person is new to us, but is so awesome and we all get along so amazingly. Well, today my best thing was, we were all going over our list of things to buy tomorrow, and Aerosmith's 'I don't wanna close my eyes... I don't wanna fall asleep' song comes on, and I happen to know that my good friend and manager thinks Aerosmith is one of the cheesiest and worst things to come out of music... So of course I stop everything and say "listen! It's you're favorite song!" To which our new coworker and I simultaneously embrace our manager by shoulder and sing along to the song perfectly for quite a few verses. Oh it was genius.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:02 am 

HA! That sounds awesome, mars.
Congrats to you, too, boober! Work = awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:41 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I signed up for NaNoWriMo! I'm terrified!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:08 am 

It's Friday! NatureBoy is on his way here - right now! For 4 (3ish, but spread across 4) days!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

booberthefraggle wrote:

Congratulations! I always thought it would be fun to work at Joanne.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Whenever i get bummed out i read this thread, and it cheers me up. I am glad good things are coming your way!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Went to the dietician this morning to check up on my low-carb livin' situation and apparently, I have lost 9 pounds since this began (which I can totally see in the mirror). And I don't even feel like killing myself thinking about my next low carb meal. Also, no hypoglycemic issues in the past week at all. The dietician was full of praise, especially when I described a day when I brought something for lunch that seemed gross and inedible once it was microwaved and then made the best decision possible about an alternative and stayed on track. So, yay me for sticking with it. And I am now allowed fruit because I am awesome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485 ... 592  Next