| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508 ... 563  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the best thing about your day?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:05 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

choirqueer wrote:
joshua wrote:
you have a bison? and you got it tattooed? how'd you get it to sit still?!

(sorry)

The only verb I saw in that postscript was "did".

I have a professor who really wants to make everyone aware of the verbs that they use when they speak, so every time someone uses the verb "did" in a vague kind of way ("I did chapters 4 and 5 for my presentation" or "I did the assessment with a fourth grade student," stuff like that) she says, "You had sex with it?" It's effective.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:04 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

kilgore trout wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
joshua wrote:

(sorry)

I have a professor who really wants to make everyone aware of the verbs that they use when they speak, so every time someone uses the verb "did" in a vague kind of way ("I did chapters 4 and 5 for my presentation" or "I did the assessment with a fourth grade student," stuff like that) she says, "You had sex with it?" It's effective.

It was a big thing when I was in massage therapy school. We were very strongly cautioned against ever saying things like "I did a client", "Let's do it on the table", etc.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:51 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

That's so interesting! I have a policy of avoiding vague pronouns in place of nouns, even if everyone knows what I'm talking about. For example: I don't say "They're doing construction" and try to say "the city is doing construction". I'm not sure why it bugs me! But now I'm going to start watching my verbs too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am in DC for a conference. I finished up around noon and was able to visit part of the Smithsonian and the National Mall with a friend I've known for a few years on the internet but we've never met in real life, then we went for dinner and I had an awesome vegan nicoise salad. Great day!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:12 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mars that tattoo is amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kilgore trout wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
joshua wrote:

(sorry)

Huh. To me that kind of deliberate obtuseness to make a point seems a bit petty and irritating. If it is obvious what is meant by "did" from the context then what's the problem?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Uh, the above was aimed at the professor, by the way, not anyone in this thread!

The best thing about my day so far is not having to go to work! Because I only have half time hours at my permanent job and that doesn't give me enough to live on I'm having to say yes to any extra hours I'm offered, and they tend to be in 2 or 3 hour chunks here and there, mostly evenings and weekends. I'm grateful to have the opportunity for the extra work but it is kind of tiring, especially as they involve standing and walking quite a bit which is extra tiring because of my hip pain, so I'm very happy to have a whole day to relax.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:08 am 

dropscone wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

Huh. To me that kind of deliberate obtuseness to make a point seems a bit petty and irritating. If it is obvious what is meant by "did" from the context then what's the problem?

I tend to agree. It's a class for elementary teacher preparation, so she's trying to make us more aware of how we speak to students. It makes sense in that context, I guess, but it's still annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:53 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

dropscone wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

Well, in massage school, it's for a very specific reason -- massage therapy is often associated with sex work, and sex workers often use euphemistic language to describe their businesses. So massage therapists who aren't sex workers and don't want to be mistaken for sex workers want to be really careful to avoid using any language that might make them sound like they are sex workers. NOT that there's anything wrong with being a sex worker, just that most massage therapists who aren't sex workers don't want to be mistaken for sex workers, since that's not the service we're offering, and it becomes a big issue if we get clients who think we're going to "do them on the table".

I don't understand kilgore trout's professor's reasoning, though. It seems pretty apparent to me that "do/did" could conceivably be construed as referring to sex in the context of massage therapy...but, I can't imagine anyone would actually interpret "I had sex with chapters 4 and 5" from the use of the verb in that context. The verb "do" does actually have a meaning that isn't "have sex with"!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:09 am 

It has less to do with do/did sometimes meaning sex than it has to do with non-specificity. Her logic is that do/did has lots of meanings, and when you're talking to kids who are still very concrete in their language, that vagueness might cause miscommunications--not that that miscommunication would have anything to do with the sexual meaning of the word, but they might not understand what you mean, so it's best to be clearer in your instructions. "Read and respond to questions 1-3" is more specific than "Do questions 1-3."
The sex thing is mostly just because it's funny, or she thinks it is. Honestly I see where she's coming from but I think she's unnecessarily nit-picky in some instances. I've heard her get on someone's case about the distinction between done/finished in casual conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:08 pm 
Impressive boner

We did an awesome show, Demented Are Go want to gig with us, I saw old, dear friends, we decided on an album title and we have all the mixed album tracks. I don't think a Sunday could get much better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:28 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I got so much done today. Feeling good about it! Finally went through the last 6 boxes of stuff that I never really unpacked because I don't need all that's in them, and condensed it into 4 boxes of "For Sure Won't Need In The Nearish Future" (with a detailed item list!) that I can shove into the garage! Now there are no boxes in my room! I still need to build a fairly good sized shelf or hutch or something though before I can remotely call the room 'done' but oh well. I also made a giant batch of chili and canned a bunch of hot sauce!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:46 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Met some Ethiopian runners today and tomorrow we are going to do a tempo run together :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

wow! hangin with the rock stars!!!!

the best thing about my day was that the 13 page job i had, the last two pages were blank. thank you Lard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Putting Carly Simon's "You're so vain" on repeat and dancing in my underwear in front of a mirror.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 am 
Dead by dawn

I briefly dated Carly Simon's next door neighbor. True story.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:24 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I got to see some of my family today! and I'll see some of them again tomorrow!

AND coincidentally got to see my favourite couchsurf host/vegan/Belgian extraordinaire.

people, man. they made my forking day. so grateful.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Nobody spoilered the final episode of the Great British Bake Off for me! I got to watch it in real time and eat tasty cake I had made.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

Getting home from a cold, tough track workout to find that biker boy had stir fried up a big skillet of spicy veggies and chickpeas for dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I have four cats sleeping with me. And I ate my favorite ice cream today.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:35 am 
Impressive boner

Got the mastered version of the album. It sounds perfect. I cannot fault our recording engineer with anything he's done, it's beyond what I could have ever hoped for. It even has a sample of rats squeaking on it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rock on!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:03 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

That is so awesome, 8ball!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I had my "I want a raise" talk with the manager today, and to my surprise he said he thought that my suggestion (+13%) was reasonable and he would do his best to defend that to the higher up management.

I'm almost afraid to wonder if I shouldn't have asked for more, and it's not sure I'll get that raise, but it's really nice to get the impression that he thinks I'm worth what I'm asking for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You're definitely worth what you're asking for! (Even more than that in my book!)

Reply to topic  [ 14055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508 ... 563  Next