| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 551 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Too much Woo!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I love the PPK for being a bastion of sane and logical thinking and think we need a thread to talk about the recent types of crazy woo we see around. I feel like so many other corners of the vegan world are consumed by woo.

I know so many people who are horrified by all the risks of food - like everything seems to terrify them because cancer. So no microwaves, no carageenan, no agave. But most of those people also love their chiropractic adjustments and seem entirely unphased by the American Heart Association's position statement about the risk of stroke associated with neck adjustments. http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/201408 ... r-a-stroke Or vaccines.

So much woo so little time to debunk it all. How about you?

Post subject: Re: Too much Woo!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Wait...there are people who are anti-agave? I had no idea. I can't keep up with the woo! It's just created too quickly.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

OH GAWD, where do I begin?!

I had to de-Facebook-friend someone I used to really like because she started posting these long rants about 'Big Pharma', and poorly researched articles (many of them from Natural News or other sites of dubious credibility) about treating depression with diet and vitamins. I wouldn't mind so much except she started encouraging people to ditch their anti-depressants, "learn to deal with their problems without the Big Pharma crutch", and smoke weed and do psychedelics to chase away depression. I'm running into more and more people who are parroting these ideas, and it makes me very uneasy. People have the right to deal with their depression as they see fit, but this is blatant misinformation and I worry about how many people could be hurt by it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

Invictus wrote:
Wait...there are people who are anti-agave? I had no idea. I can't keep up with the woo! It's just created too quickly.

Yes. Most people I know don't use it because it's a source of food for bats (I don't like the stuff so I haven't kept up on it, so maybe I'm wrong), but I've heard other people compare it to poison, the way white sugar is supposedly 'poison.'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:56 pm 
Semen Strong

See!!!! We NEED this thread! The Natural News is the worst. And Mercola (who hates agave). And all the people who talk about how Big pHarma is just out for the money while ignoring that Mercola and the other Peddlers of Woo make tons of money on their "supplements." Even people like Dr Fuhrmann who scare people off using folic acid (cancer! asthma!) and then sell the only prenatals that don't have folic acid, because every single prenatal has folic acid because it has been proven to stave off neural tube defects in developing fetuses (thanks March of Dimes). https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/folic ... amins.aspx

SO MUCH WOO! I just need a place to roll my eyes at the advice by every smug idiot who gets their knowledge from TNN or FB and buys it hook, line and sinker. SOYBEWBS FOR ALL!

Last edited by Tofulish on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

Huh, who knew. More agave-carageenan slurry for me!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I hate to give them the clicks/pageviews but here is Mercola on agave.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -food.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

A few years back someone on FB warned me that kale would KILL ME due to the oxalic(?) acid. She was really freaked out about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Oxalic acid will kill you with terrible kidney stones! Never eat spinach either!

Except it turns out that the oxalic acid is only an issue for people with kidney and gallbladder issues (complete list here). http://www.healthyonraw.com/should-we-e ... alic-acid/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

also, kale has a very small amount of oxalic acid, and the calcium it does have will protect you from the minimal amount it does have. spinach and chard have so much more oxalic acid. (that's why it's recommended only to eat greens in the beet family once a week at the most. my CSA box is really challenging me in this area. it also sucks, because it grows so effortlessly at least it looks beautiful on my front lawn.)

i also would like to point you to http://www.donotlink.com/bi5l (that's your mercola article through a website that doesn't give it any traffic.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

supercarrot wrote:
also, kale has a very small amount of oxalic acid, and the calcium it does have will protect you from the minimal amount it does have. spinach and chard have so much more oxalic acid. (that's why it's recommended only to eat greens in the beet family once a week at the most. my CSA box is really challenging me in this area. it also sucks, because it grows so effortlessly at least it looks beautiful on my front lawn.)

I never knew beet-family greens needed to be eaten less than others! Thank you. I never ever thought about it and I've eaten boatloads of chard and spinach in a small span of days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

OMG. Can we talk about the monstrosity that is Food Babe?! I've seen a bunch of people posting some thing she wrote about how SHOCKING it is that Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks don't have any real pumpkin in them. Nevermind the fact that pumpkin spice is a mixture of nutmeg, ginger, etc. used in baking, nevermind how Starbucks doesn't describe the latte as actually being pumpkin flavored in any advertising I've seen...this must be some scheme to put "toxins" into the bodies of unwitting Americans!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:32 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Anything anti soy because estrogen! Icky female hormones! I swear, if it contained phytotestosterone (yeah just go with it) it would be glorified!

Carrageenan. Why is everyone afraid of it? People were freaking out when it was in tooth paste.

Anti soy, anti grain, anti anything slightly processed vegans. If you are allergic to grains and soy then fine. But to talk like these foods are the devil, seriously. There was a vegan who deomonized soy, grain, and legumes. He would only make his smoothies using bottled water from some spring from another country. That diet sounds very restrictive.

Anytime someone is told to stop taking medicine and eat fruits and vegetables instead. There was a post on a vegan facebook page that told people not to get bypass surgery and instead drink this lemon vinegar ginger mixture which would clear up clogged arteries.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

SassyOh wrote:
I never knew beet-family greens needed to be eaten less than others! Thank you. I never ever thought about it and I've eaten boatloads of chard and spinach in a small span of days.

i have to be especially careful because i've had kidney stones before. (but B6 can dissolve calcium oxalate stones. if you're concerned that you've eaten too many things high in oxalates, take some B6, and you should be fine. also taking a magnesium pill, eating omega 3s, yogurt and making sure you drink enough water will help you to avoid developing them in the first place.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I don't have a real keyboard so I am not typing more but yay this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Tofulish wrote:
I hate to give them the clicks/pageviews but here is Mercola on agave.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -food.aspx

You can use http://www.donotlink.com to link to those kind of sites without driving up their Google rankings. Here's a little about how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:10 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Jigglypuff wrote:
OMG. Can we talk about the monstrosity that is Food Babe?! I've seen a bunch of people posting some thing she wrote about how SHOCKING it is that Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks don't have any real pumpkin in them. Nevermind the fact that pumpkin spice is a mixture of nutmeg, ginger, etc. used in baking, nevermind how Starbucks doesn't describe the latte as actually being pumpkin flavored in any advertising I've seen...this must be some scheme to put "toxins" into the bodies of unwitting Americans!

Oh god, Food Babe is terrible! I have only seen her stuff second hand on facebook, and it is absolutely insane what she posts/what people will believe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:20 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I had to talk my mom out of going on the blood type diet recently. So, that's still a thing.

Also, I'm really not over hating the anti-gluten-for-no-reason thing. I am honestly surprised it's gone on for so long. Bread is so good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 am 
Huffs Nooch

Jigglypuff wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:32 am 
Grandfathered In

This is what gluten talk makes me think of:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:45 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I thought any woo was too much woo? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120531/

I've never cared much about the GF movement because I've been lucky enough to not have anyone try to convince me that I should do it too.

Broseph, where did you get that amazing diagram?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I have nothing constructive to add at this time of night, but yes! So much woo. I feel like this thread will become valuable to my sanity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:16 am 
Huffs Nooch

Squeak wrote:
I thought any woo was too much woo? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120531/

I've never cared much about the GF movement because I've been lucky enough to not have anyone try to convince me that I should do it too.

Broseph, where did you get that amazing diagram?

A friend posted it on Facebook. He shared it from the Vegans for Science and Reason Facebook Page.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:20 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I don't want to dismiss the GF movement because I know people (several, in fact) with legitimate celiac disease, Crohn's disease, or other health issues caused or exacerbated by gluten. I have no doubts whatsoever that a lot of people have jumped on the GF bandwagon because they assume it's 'healthier' without doing any research or thinking for themselves first, but that's not a good enough reason to dismiss scientific evidence that it is a severe and growing problem amongst certain populations.

All that other shiitake, though- have at it.

I'm no longer on FB so I haven't seen the whole pumpkin spice latte furore, but it strikes me as disingenuous. Do people seriously think that when they order what is essentially a shot of espresso, a hefty serving of bovine breastmilk, and a few pumps of syrup and/or tablespoons of powder from a mystery container, they are getting a lovingly crafted artisanal hot toddy made from hand-scavenged herbs?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am reading this at the moment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diet-Cults-Surprising-Fallacy-Nutrition/dp/1605985600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409905502&sr=8-1&keywords=diet+cults

and (aside from the odd snide comment about people's size, which I am not crazy about), it is a really interesting dissection of people's need to belong to a group and how that works with eating.

Mat.

P.S. Food Babe, so much horseshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 551 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next