| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:29 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Sheeeeze louise. Where do tech companies even come up with these things? I considered applying for a job maybe a year ago with a local tech company who basically wanted applicants to spend ~2 days doing unpaid work for them, and then they'd pick the person who did the task best. For realsies? (And I almost went for it.)

Sorry to hear your situation is still so up in the air. My stomach's in knots just reading about it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:18 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

thanks for your response, c&s! so helpful!

i think i'll be doing it part-time. i probably need to keep working during the year too, so full time would probably not be doable. i'll have two things going for me, basically, school is pretty cheap here, and so is daycare. so as long as i can work 20 hours a week or so, i'll probably be able to cover most of my tuition and daycare costs. doing what you're doing without full time day care seems really tough!

you've given me a lot to think about. i don't know if my program is going to be super challenging or not. a friend knows the head of the program though, she's going to pass on his info so we can chat about whether it's the right program for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

EEEEE. Big seminar this Friday. Scared. Not ready for the real world! Get it together graphs, get it together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LB, I am going part time to grad school, working full time, and I have a sixteen month old. It's manageable but I am tired. I'm planning on (hopefully) adding another baby to the mix before I finish the program. I want to finish while my kids are too young to be bothered much by it. Also, for me school is easier to manage than work. I plan to keep taking classes when/if i go on maternity leave from work.

My program is designed for working professionals, so I think it helps that I'm in classes of people juggling similar loads (no one else has kids, but they have jobs).
coldandsleepy wrote:

I am also way better at time management now.

A really priceless thing is that I've become a lot more blunt and assertive. I'm just less able to tolerate other people's bull shiitake; now that I know what a 3 year old's behavior looks like firsthand, I'm less willing to accept that kind of behavior from a grownup. While it likely has not earned me a ton of new friends, it has made group work more tolerable and less stressful.

This! I am soooo direct with other people about what I can do and when I can do it.

Also, this is my second masters. When I did the first one, I was the kind of student who would dwell on every assignment and i worried about every little detail...I really stressed about making sure all of my work was "perfect." Now, I do what I need to do and I move on. It doesn't take over my life because the family/job stuff balances it out.

I do miss putting my daughter to bed on nights I have class. That part sucks.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I had the nicest chat with my soon-to-be advisor during office hours today. Guys, I have such a good feeling about this department change... feeling like I actually know what I want to do my thesis work on (vaguely) and feeling like I've found someone I actually want to work with. OH MY.

The rest of my graduate life is kind of going to shiitake right now though. Yay end of semester!

One of my other classes, there's a group project due in about two weeks. This is the one with the plagiarism guy in the group. Plagiarism guy was dodgy about scheduling a meeting with the other partner and I this week... on Tuesday we got him to commit to meeting today at 3 p.m. He was supposed to reserve a room in the library and send us out the details in the morning. 2 rolls around and we haven't heard from him so I emailed and was like, what's the deal?

First he emailed back and was like oh, I reserved a room for 5-6. So I emailed and was like, that's not gonna work guy, you said 3-4 so I moved another group meeting to 5-6. He emails back and is like but I'm in class from 2-4:30! Um, what the hell guy? Why did you schedule this meeting from 3-4 then????? The other partner showed up, and he had the same understanding as me about when and how the meeting was supposed to happen. So I know it wasn't just me misunderstanding.

Did the guy even say sorry? Nah. He was like, well have a good time meeting guys! seeya next week lol! Argle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What's up with that guy?? Group projects are the absolute worst. I'm convinced the only reason they exist is to lower the grading load of the instructor.

Yay about the advisor!! I hope he and the dept are super supportive and awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:24 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

My orals date is the 14th, and right now between reading, reviewing notes, getting my %$#@ period, and seasonal allergies, I am fried like a goddamn french fry. I am so stressed I feel like my head is going to pop off and/or I am going to climb into bed and stay there forever. Someone tell me why I'm doing this again?? BLURGH.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:53 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Desdemona wrote:
My orals date is the 14th, and right now between reading, reviewing notes, getting my %$#@ period, and seasonal allergies, I am fried like a goddamn french fry. I am so stressed I feel like my head is going to pop off and/or I am going to climb into bed and stay there forever. Someone tell me why I'm doing this again?? BLURGH.

"Gladlie wol ich lerne, and gladlie teche, but ich shal not gladlie wryten a longe and borynge thynge."

My guess is that you're in it for the bit in bold, desdemona.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had a really lousy research day today, BUT it was made 100000000% better when I saw my paper was published today! OK, so it took me 3 years to put the damn thing together, but whatevs. It's OUT and no one can take that away from me!!!!

Desdemona wrote:

Ick, that's a lot to deal with and of course our bodies never seem to cooperate with schedules or stress levels. Why do we do this to ourselves? Just think of how stoked you'll be when it's all over though. Progress!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:10 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lutin wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

"Gladlie wol ich lerne, and gladlie teche, but ich shal not gladlie wryten a longe and borynge thynge."

My guess is that you're in it for the bit in bold, desdemona.
HA! Or maybe Ich am just a masochist!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 am 
Inflexitarian

First thesis committee meeting was yesterday. Set a tentative date for the second half of my qualifying exam (first part is general and sometime in June, second part is entirely on my thesis)... August 8th. A long ways away, but that is still roughly two months earlier than I expected. Ahhh!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I handed in my thesis thing!!!!!

Also I know I've complained about horrible thesis group member here before, and today I passive-aggressively moved his name to the last position on everything we were handing in : (

I'm a jerk. I feel bad but I can't go back and change it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:52 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yay yay yay pastabake!

And seriously, fork that guy. He earned last name position!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Plagiarism guy emailed (just now) to be like oh the reason I flaked out on yesterday's meeting is that I had a class that got rescheduled to that time and if you don't believe me, here's an email from my professor.

Okay, super good. But the email he forwarded us? Was from 1 a.m. yesterday morning, well before our meeting. If you know in the morning that you have to cancel a meeting... Write a forking 3 line email to your project partners and explain it THEN. I probably could have re-re-scheduled my other meeting to accommodate that change if I'd known yesterday morning and not at the time of the meeting.

Is it summer yet?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:07 am 
Inflexitarian

Got a whole bunch of assignments back. Apparently I "have a knack for knowing which corners to cut", which I'm pretty sure is a good thing? I'm going to say it is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tea wrote:
Got a whole bunch of assignments back. Apparently I "have a knack for knowing which corners to cut", which I'm pretty sure is a good thing? I'm going to say it is.

Awesome! I'd definitely call that a win.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Have my last school exam for all of eternity on Friday and I'm pretty sure I can still pass this class by getting just a 50% on it, so you can see how it might be a bit hard to get cranking on the studying and why I'm still on the interwebz.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:46 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yesterday I told this guy (who has done NO WORK AT ALL for our project that's due next Tuesday) that I am not going to be able to do any more work on it until Friday, because I started my internship today and I have another major project due tomorrow evening. Tonight he sends me an email being like I need you to do x y and z for this right now. Really guy? Go eat a bag of dicks.

I will be so glad to be rid of this guy after Tuesday.

In other grad school news, I guess I'm starting my thesis in the fall. My will-be-advisor (when my department change finally goes through) kind of talked me into it. Don't know what the project will be yet but I have all summer to think about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 am 
Inflexitarian

I just started working on my quals reading list of approximately a million books. Fun, but terrifying.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

PPK! Remember when I was put on academic probation because I had to take a class THREE times? I got an A in that class! I guess the third time's a charm.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:56 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

starrynight87 wrote:
PPK! Remember when I was put on academic probation because I had to take a class THREE times? I got an A in that class! I guess the third time's a charm.

Yay! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Okay, so I have two more classes (two weeks) before the semester ends for this one class I'm taking. The professor is a faculty member in my department so I will likely have to work with her again. She has not returned ANY of the assignments we have turned in so far, including two major papers. I have a third paper due on the last class and a final exam so my grade is basically going to be based on the three papers and the exam.

How can I be sure I'm doing the right thing in my papers if she hasn't returned them with feedback? On the syllabus, it says you can resubmit a paper as many times as you like for more feedback. How about returning it to me so I can see the feedback? what the fizzle. This is even more frustrating because the second paper was an independent project. She gave us no rubric, no assignment, nothing, so I made up the entire thing/process for completing it. What if that was a piece of shiitake? I really don't think this is fair.

I have been holding my tongue about this because several people in my class (that have had her before) have warned me that she doesn't like questions about "feedback" and that she might never return our papers. How is that okay? I just emailed her asking anyway because I tossed and turned about all last night.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Starrynight- You're giving me hope because I have to retake a class and do something to try to get my GPA up to a 70%. My grades this term are better, but not enough to pull my GPA up.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

finnophile wrote:
Starrynight- You're giving me hope because I have to retake a class and do something to try to get my GPA up to a 70%. My grades this term are better, but not enough to pull my GPA up.

You got this. :) I think the key is not to let yourself get all wrapped up in the "failure." Look at it as an opportunity to wipe the slate clean. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I finished! Master's degree...official ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 64  Next