| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Hang in there linanil! I completely understand your feelings!

I'm having a hard time, too. I have a year left in my program and don't know how I'll continue, working full time. And needing to work full time because I am not aware of any local sugar daddies. I work every Fri-Sun 12 hours each day, then do clinical for 8 hours every Tue-Thurs, and am supposed to fit in studying in my free time. Which would be Mondays, right? But my job requires us to do on call shifts very frequently, and I've been on call and called in every Monday. I'm on call tonight and we get these annoying texts about how busy we are and please come in and help us! Which precludes that I will automatically be called in tonight.

I will say it again. I am so envious of those that don't have to work whilst going to school.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:26 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

Hey, y'all! I posted back in April to report that I'd earned my PhD. I'm back to report that this fall I'll be starting a tenure-track professorship!

Hope you're all having a lovely spring semester!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

chop_socky, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Hang in there, linanil and SD.

Linanil, did you decide to stick it out? Is it too much at once to take the required class but also do some self learning through Coursera or something?

I'm still holding it together. I'm working on my major chapter and it's taking forever. I don't have a lot of motivation. I need to be writing every night but I'm so exhausted after work that I'm not being that productive. I keep getting sick, can't sleep, and am non-stop stress eating. This totally sucks!

On Friday my boss talked to me about taking the next step in my career and asked me if I am more interested in being a technical lead or a project manager. Both are more responsibility, in different ways, and will require even more mental effort. It's time for me to take this leap professionally, but I don't know how I'll be able to do it while I'm also finishing up. Ugh!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:46 pm 
WRETCHED

I actually dropped out. I was a bit sad about it, then relieved. Work is just a lot of pressure and I have a lot of self learning to do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:29 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Congrats on the TT position, chop socky!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:30 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

So, after a long, eremitical winter off writing, I have two dissertation chapters in the can, and two to go, which means I am cautiously optimistic that years hence y'all can start calling me Dr Desdemona (in which capacity I shall endeavor I to meet all your late medieval/early modern needs by laying in leeches and trepanning supplies). More immediately, I just heard - literally yesterday - that I've had not one but two articles accepted for two separate edited volumes, and was invited to give a talk at the Renaissance Women & Culture seminar at Harvard this coming winter. I also had a paper accepted to a conference at the Tower of London this November, which gives me an excuse to make two UK trips this year. (Yay!) Since I am now officially Out of Funding, all of this comes a very welcome shot in the arm as I cast about for adjunct teaching next semester, and reminds me why I wanted to embark on this whole PhD caper in the first place!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:16 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I am not longer a graduate student, I became a Dr last week!!! I am so happy and relieved. 12 years of higher education finally done...!

So people: it happens. I did not see the end until I actually was finishing the last chapter and intro, with conclusion and edits to go.

You can do this!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congratulations TomeOrnottome!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:40 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Congrats to all who have finished their studies!

I'm about to start as a PhD student at the end of September and I'm so excited. I'll be fitting in some part time work as well because although my parents are paying the fees, I don't have anything for living costs except for relying on my partner, which doesn't seem fair. I finished my masters a couple of years ago so I'm really just looking forward to getting my teeth into some exciting maths again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:02 pm 

I'm heading into the last 4 months of my program and have the worst senioritis ever. I just want to be done.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:52 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Bumping this thread to rant with AFHA;FHASDF;HSDFSA;F STRESS STRESS STRESS.

I'm TFing (TAing, but my university's snobby special version) this semester while taking two classes and doing research and everything is terrible. The professor teaching the class expects 15 hour/week time commitment from the students and it is basically my job to do everything except lecture. TFing alone is a 20+ hour a week job! I had to cancel weekend plans because the homework is too hard and students need help. I had an all-day doctor's appointment yesterday and checked my email this morning to find 5 emails from the professor! When am I supposed to have time to do research?

Luckily my research adviser is awesome and understanding (and a 15 year vegan!) But still, WHY.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:15 pm 

I'm so proud of myself for writing to my professor about a quiz I just took. It was an online, open-book quiz (i.e., more difficult than is truly necessary) and the questions were worded such that there could be more than one correct answer. So of course I chose the not-correct correct answer. I had references to back up my choices, so we'll see what the professor says. It was only worth 2.5 points total, but I'm finally tired of just letting everything go and allowing myself to be bulldozed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:20 am 
Saggy Butt

Ah, just popping in to virtually/digitally have a little cry about how hard I am finding full time work and part time postgrad study right now. I'm just ("just") studying one 30 credit module this semester which ideally requires 30 hours of volunteering in order to base the assessments on (it's an 'applied' module). I've got some newly diagnosed (but not very new) mega fatigue lately and I would totally die if I tried working 7 days a week, so I was hoping to rely on a local charity I've volunteered for the past few years. I was on the cusp of being organised and half filled out my ethics form before the charity manager told me she literally cannot spare me 2-3 hours of her time in the next 2 months. Back to the drawing board and actually did a little cry in the office today. I emailed my tutor and haven't had a reply yet so here's my little extra wobble. I just feel like a right flipping useless chump at the moment and like maybe everyone else knows exactly what to do except me. Anyway, I'd better do some brainstorming while I do more crying!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:42 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

chop_socky wrote:
Hey, y'all! I posted back in April to report that I'd earned my PhD. I'm back to report that this fall I'll be starting a tenure-track professorship!

Hope you're all having a lovely spring semester!

THIS IS AMAZING!!! CONGRATS!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

y'all I am... heavily considering starting to look in to phd programs right now, tell me to/not to!!

I wouldn't even be applying for like a whole year anyway since I've got another 8 months on my current work contract, plus I'd probs have to re-take the GRE since my old scores were good enough for my masters program, but like Art School Good not Dr. Boober good u kno? ANYWAY tell me this is a terrible idea or a great idea I need Confirmation(tm) please.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

booberthefraggle wrote:
y'all I am... heavily considering starting to look in to phd programs right now, tell me to/not to!!

Are you already miserable and not looking to move on with your life (relationships, family, retirement accounts, vacations, etc) for the next decade? If so, a PhD program might be for you!

I'm not the best source of advice for this, but it seems most of my friends that pursued a PhD regretted it. To me it seems like asking yourself if you really want a job that requires that degree or if you just really like the awful, political, backstabbing environment of academia and are willing to make that your life for a long time/ever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:14 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tigon wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

Are you already miserable and not looking to move on with your life (relationships, family, retirement accounts, vacations, etc) for the next decade? If so, a PhD program might be for you!

I'm not the best source of advice for this, but it seems most of my friends that pursued a PhD regretted it. To me it seems like asking yourself if you really want a job that requires that degree or if you just really like the awful, political, backstabbing environment of academia and are willing to make that your life for a long time/ever.
I'll chime in on the other said and ask: Do you want to engage deeply with a subject or discipline you love and/or feel very invested in? Would you like the opportunity to meet intelligent, similarly committed people who share your interests, and spend time discussing and researching those interests? Do you think you'd enjoy working with and being mentored by people who are experts in your chosen field of study? Would you like to hone and develop your analytical thinking, reading, and writing skills in ways that will help maximize your intellectual faculties inside and outside academia? Do you want to make friends who share your values, and with whom you can have nuanced, thoughtful conversations about issues and ideas far beyond your chosen discipline? Then a PhD program might be for you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:23 pm 
Cranky

Don't do it! Unless you're going into a professional field that requires a Ph.D., it really isn't worth it. Most folks won't get tenure track jobs, so there's not really much point from an employment perspective.

I don't regret my degree, but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't do it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:54 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

STEM PhD? fork YES, because $$ and obvious recognition.
Not-STEM PhD? Really, really depends. If you have zero expectations about fame, glory or employment..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71