| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 am 
Married to the wolfman

One of the classes I was enrolled for got canceled! This has never happened to me as a grad student before. I keep checking and hoping it will magically show up on the registrar's site again.

On the upside, it means I have an excuse to take my advisor's cool class (that I really wanted to take anyhow) now. On the downside, now I have to go to campus four days a week.

Did I mention I am going to push to graduate in spring? That means taking 3 classes plus project work this semester and next (normal course load is 2 + project) and defending in May... Kinda crazy but I have to at least try.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Our courses were just released and every single course is being offered at the exact same time as last year. Same school and profs too (our program is a joint program between SMU and MSVU). Which means Fem Theory is in the same room, same prof and same time Tuesdays.

He wouldn't let me do an incomplete when my dog got sick, instead I did a retroactive withdrawl. Which means repeating 89% of everything in the course again, which is a big enough pain. But it's on Tuesdays. Which is the only day my Boss wants me to work (3 years ago he hired me because the last guy couldn't work tuesdays anymore)... my boss switch every single shift all term last year so I could take the course then the dog got cancer/died and now it's looking like I will have to try and beg him to switch with me again or walk away from my job or wait a third year to try and take the required course.

WHY?!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I love my research adviser so much. SO MUCH.

So that awful group project? I submitted the final report last night at 10:30, because we got an extension. We had 6 people and most of the group just left it to two of us. (One woman had to rush home because of a really serious family emergency though, so nothing but love and good thoughts to her and her family. But the rest of them...) And so I've been up past 4 am every night this week. And I wasn't taking my pain meds, because they make me sleep. And I didn't refill my stomach meds because I didn't have time to go to the pharmacy (yes, I did throw up in my mouth during the presentation and keep going.). Anyway, it was a mess. I'm a mess.

I woke up at 1:30 today. I was supposed to meet my adviser to talk about my research at 10. Then we had a manuscript review for a woman in our group at 11. There was so much swearing when I saw the time. I called my mom nearly in tears and asked her to help me compose an email because I couldn't even think.

I just got an email back from my adviser. She told me to focus on getting enough sleep and doing what I can on my own project.

Am I not the luckiest student on earth?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've missed this thread! I'm still doing my MA. I just found out today that if I work a little bit harder, I should be able to walk away with a distinction!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Huzzah!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I managed to get 90% on one module, which obviously is worth less and less overall as I do more modules. I need to make sure I stay the right side of 70%!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 am 

Gripey Rant: At a fancy, super l33t conference in my field, which is pretty much 50-50 men-women (though obvious gender splits in the subdisciplines, e.g. computational modeling vs. developmental stuff). ONCE AGAIN, despite that, all the prize winners (15? 20?) are men. Blah blah blah I know they're voted by the community, and the community has its own standards, when when year after year there are no women winning these prizes .... it's hard not to be suspicious/annoyed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:30 am 

Pretty pleased that Famous Prof and I keep meeting, and that he's so excited about all of my projects and sub-projects. Sounds like there might be future collaborations with him and another Famous Person? (I like that.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:10 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ugh Mon mornings we always meet with the boss to discuss what happened in the past week and planning out this one. Ended up getting on his bad side for a silly mistake last week and another sort of mistake. I need to make something in the lab but there are two preps to do it. We have the starting material for one, so I try it but can't get the second step to work no matter how I vary it. Turns out that several sources that used the other prep talked about how unstable the product is, etc. Boss was irritated that I hadn't found that out and said I should have done a better job searching the literature. On top of that, most of my lab work failed today. Definitely a good recipe for feeling worthless and stupid for the rest of the day. Yay organic chemistry?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

simplybecause81 wrote:
Ugh Mon mornings we always meet with the boss to discuss what happened in the past week and planning out this one. Ended up getting on his bad side for a silly mistake last week and another sort of mistake. I need to make something in the lab but there are two preps to do it. We have the starting material for one, so I try it but can't get the second step to work no matter how I vary it. Turns out that several sources that used the other prep talked about how unstable the product is, etc. Boss was irritated that I hadn't found that out and said I should have done a better job searching the literature. On top of that, most of my lab work failed today. Definitely a good recipe for feeling worthless and stupid for the rest of the day. Yay organic chemistry?

Dude. I hear you, so so much.

Just had a conversation with my advisor this morning. He's not happy because I'm neglecting my total synthesis (because it's freaking HARD) and instead working on finishing up a communication. Oh yeah, and writing my up my thesis. Pretty much every time I talk to my boss he's unhappy with me and makes me feel worthless. And that's precisely why I'm leaving the field of synthetic organic chemistry once I graduate. Eff this nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

wuh my program starts in less than 10 days! aaaahhhhhhhh!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

booberthefraggle wrote:

yaaay! You can do eet!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:25 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

couroupita wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

yaaay! You can do eet!
Yes! Yes, you absolutely and totally can!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:23 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

My preliminary exams begin tomorrow! Six weeks of essay-writing!! On the plus side, I received a fellowship for this AY and am thus relieved of teaching duties, so I only have to juggle writing with my language course. Sooooo closed to being ABD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Congrats on the fellowship chop_socky!

My classes start Wednesday. My first order of business is to convince my advisor to let me change topics for my thesis! I had a better idea that I just think is more valuable and am a little anxious about convincing him of the same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:01 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

chop_socky wrote:
My preliminary exams begin tomorrow! Six weeks of essay-writing!! On the plus side, I received a fellowship for this AY and am thus relieved of teaching duties, so I only have to juggle writing with my language course. Sooooo closed to being ABD!
Ooooh, I'm jealous of your fellowship/teaching release! I've got my regular freshman comp section, but am putting the language course off until next semester because I'm hoping to get the diss prospectus filed by Christmas. I'm frankly in a bit of denial that classes start up again in two weeks (as evidenced by the comparatively embryonic state of my syllabus!).

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
chop_socky wrote:
Ooooh, I'm jealous of your fellowship/teaching release! I've got my regular freshman comp section, but am putting the language course off until next semester because I'm hoping to get the diss prospectus filed by Christmas. I'm frankly in a bit of denial that classes start up again in two weeks (as evidenced by the comparatively embryonic state of my syllabus!).

Yeah, the teaching release is nice. I've never been a good candidate for pre-doctoral fellowships in my field because most are designed for early-intermediate language acquisition, and I finished taking Japanese language coursework a long time ago. The moment I started studying Korean I was like, "Oh shiitake! There's money for this!" I haven't had a semester off of teaching since I started my first MA in 2006, and this is the perfect time for it. I keep wondering what I'm going to do with myself during all of that free time, then I'm like, "Oh yeah, prelims and dissertation writing." Ha!

We have one more week until classes begin, which is why I'm starting the prelims tomorrow and not my planned date of Sept. 6th. I want all the time I can get before I return to language classes. I'm sort of annoyed right now because I had a journal article accepted eight months ago and was supposed to receive revision suggestions this summer. Still no word, and I guarantee they'll come right in the damn middle of my prelims, and with a super short time frame!

Allll of that said, I would luuurve to read your prospectus-- your work sounds really interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:39 pm 

coldandsleepy wrote:
Congrats on the fellowship chop_socky!

My classes start Wednesday. My first order of business is to convince my advisor to let me change topics for my thesis! I had a better idea that I just think is more valuable and am a little anxious about convincing him of the same.

Thanks!

If it makes you any less nervous, I changed my thesis topic twice before settling in, and my adviser was excited to see my interests evolve as I thought more and more about my field, and thus super supportive of my ultimate decision! What's your area of research??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:28 am 

Back from holiday. SUCKS TO TRY TO WORK. I have so much shiitake to do, and can't get my brain to focus on any of it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:40 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

As I posted that I was thinking about doing earlier in this thread, I have now submitted my request to switch to part-time for the last year of my PhD. Even though it means I now have two more years left before I finish, it's a huge weight off my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:51 am 
Married to the wolfman

Remember how I was like one of my classes got cancelled but it's okay because I'm signed up for another class anyway?

Yeah, that class is getting cancelled too, because a couple people dropped and now we are under the enrollment minimum. This didn't come to light until the end of the first week of classes... So every other class I could take is full already.

I was really upset about this, because I was taking 4 classes (normal load + 1) this semester and next so I could graduate in spring.

But guess what? I did out the math again, and I don't know how I forked it up the first time, but even if I took 4 classes this semester, I'd have to take FIVE (normal load + 2) next semester to graduate in spring.

Oh, and my department change isn't even officially through yet, and the guy who needs to sign the last form isn't responding to my emails and hasn't been in his office in person.

I am in such a forking place of despair right now, I can't even tell you. I have a lab meeting at noon and my ultimate goal is not to cry in front of my advisor and peers on the third day of the semester.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My advisor single handedly solved two of my three pressing problems. The last one (how to finish in a timely fashion) is on me, but I think I have it sorted: four classes this semester and next, then one more in the summer. I'll still defend in spring (good Lard willing and the river don't rise), I'll just have one class left to finish afterwards.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:48 am 

Hot damn, c&s. I love a good advisor, especially when they are magic at solving that kind of problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 am 

Nothing like a group skype with all of my supervisors to make me feel totally vulnerable and worthless. k djf hsjdfsdds.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:39 am 

lutin wrote:
Nothing like a group skype with all of my supervisors to make me feel totally vulnerable and worthless. k djf hsjdfsdds.

It wasn't entirely disastrous. The discussion and progression (changes) need to happen, and I'd rather know it as soon as possible. Still, academic vulnerability. Mooooo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 64  Next