| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

woah hey important question: is partying an integral part of this experience? because DANG I saw some wasted people on a monday night.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:40 am 
Married to the wolfman

Aw, lutin. Hang in there buddy.

I am stuck between two (totally valid and interesting) thesis ideas. The problem with this is that I need to have settled like, yesterday. Well, not literally... I have to have a proposal in by Friday (jesus). My advisor more or less said "go with the one you're more into" but the problem is I am in to both! I came up with the second idea because I couldn't figure out some issues with the first idea, and then the other day I suddenly resolved them. And my second idea doesn't seem as good as it did.

Maybe I am just scared of commitment?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

We're in different fields c&s, but if you want to run stuff by me (pm or skype or whatever) I'm happy to hear you out. Otherwise, I'd try to outline thesis as much as you can, both in terms of "final written content" and also "prioritized list of shiitake that would need to get done" and take it from there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:38 am 
Flounceiad 2011

booberthefraggle wrote:
woah hey important question: is partying an integral part of this experience? because DANG I saw some wasted people on a monday night.
It's been my observation that nothing gives your inner alcoholic room to blossom like grad school. Seriously, it's like Valley of the Dolls, with a less glamorous cast...

...or not.

Anyway, I'm currently slogging through my English 1 syllabus, deciding what to keep, what to tweak, and what to discard. And now I want a drink. Thanks a lot, boober!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Engineering grad students drink a ton, but alone. More efficient!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:30 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

coldandsleepy wrote:
Engineering grad students drink a ton, but alone. More efficient!
And so much cheaper, too; that's why they (eventually) make the big bucks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

My big qualifying exam is one month away, and I'm terrified. Also nauseated, sweaty, and faint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good luck, quark!

People in my department drink like woah. I never really fell into that scene since I'm a commuter student with a dry S.O. but I think it's pretty common. My experience is that pretty much every social thing revolves around drinking and if you're not into that you kind of remain on the fringe.

C&S, good luck with choosing a thesis topic! I would probably go with the one that seems easier to accomplish.

I keep vacillating between feeling pretty confident/happy and anxious/incompetent. I still have a lot to do and I need to defend by mid-Dec. I haven't started writing my thesis yet. My school therapist is trying to get me to try mindfulness meditation but I think I'm beyond that. It doesn't help that other people around me are graduating and I feel like I'm a failure for not being done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:29 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

quark wrote:
My big qualifying exam is one month away, and I'm terrified. Also nauseated, sweaty, and faint.
Breathe deeply. A month from now you'll be safely on the other side, and this will all seem like someone else's surreal dream. (Trust me!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

Desdemona wrote:
quark wrote:
Breathe deeply. A month from now you'll be safely on the other side, and this will all seem like someone else's surreal dream. (Trust me!)

Thank you! I keep telling myself this. Good lard, I hope I'm right to be telling myself this....

::breathes::

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:11 am 

Working on a group project today (with 2 profs and another grad). We are: a gesture person, a sign (ASL) person, a film person, and me = gesture/sign. My current job is to add some annotations to the ASL person's data, and he wrote to say: I'm so happy you're doing this. The only way we're going to advance the field is by getting sign and gesture people to talk together, and you're perfect for it.

GUSH. Tell me that again! (Esp. after yesterday's traumatic meeting, and the longer meetings I'm anticipating tomorrow.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I did my first year full time and dropped to part time for these last two years so...PEACE OUT YA'LL

*grabs tequila and starts chugging*

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I JUST STARTED AT THE ROYAL DANISH ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS, IN THE ARCHITECT DEPARTMENT. I am SO overwhelmed - it's a BEAUTIFUL location, everyone seems really nice, and I'm so excited to get started for real next week, but damn! That is going to be my home the next 5 years - they told us to expect 15 hour days, weeks of not talking to anyone outside of school and that we'd end up spending basically all of our money on materials for school and traveling with your group (2 trips a year, a small one that costs max 1000 dollars and a bigger one that's max 3000 (!) dollars).

I have no idea how I will afford this, but I guess I'm going to write some applications and look for a job!

But I don't even care that I am going to be poor and have no time to relax, I'M GOING TO BE AN ARCHITECT!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:07 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Congratulations Smoothie!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

smoothie wrote:
I JUST STARTED AT THE ROYAL DANISH ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS, IN THE ARCHITECT DEPARTMENT. I am SO overwhelmed - it's a BEAUTIFUL location, everyone seems really nice, and I'm so excited to get started for real next week, but damn! That is going to be my home the next 5 years - they told us to expect 15 hour days, weeks of not talking to anyone outside of school and that we'd end up spending basically all of our money on materials for school and traveling with your group (2 trips a year, a small one that costs max 1000 dollars and a bigger one that's max 3000 (!) dollars).

I have no idea how I will afford this, but I guess I'm going to write some applications and look for a job!

But I don't even care that I am going to be poor and have no time to relax, I'M GOING TO BE AN ARCHITECT!

HOORAY!!! this is so rad!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 am 

Rock on, smoothalicious! That's forking awesome :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am so so so excited! It's basically impossible to get in, so I feel very happy that I made the cut. And everyone seems so nice and awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:47 am 
Flounceiad 2011

First day of the new semester! This will be my third semester teaching, and my first post-coursework and exam, and I'm a little weirded out at the relative lack of structure from here on out. My Big Plan is to get my dissertation proposal written and approved by Christmas if at all possible, but that's my big plan, rather anything necessarily enforced by external factors (other than wanting to finish in five years, that is). Self-motivation and time management skills, ACTIVATE!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:57 am 

Rock that shiitake, Desdemona!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 am 
Inflexitarian

I've been feeling tired and burnt out, so I took a vacation. The vacation was awesome, but now that I'm back I really don't feel any better, and I've started having second thoughts over whether or not I want to be here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

School starts next week but I started reading yesterday and I feel like my academic brain broke permanently after undergrad. Why do I still not understand the difference between structuralism and functionalism? And why does googling make things less rather than more clear?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ahhhhh I am meeting my primary advisor for the first time (I have one group advisor and one individual advisor) and I am suiupppperrrr nervous!! She's really quite established and serious and that is so awesome! But I'm really intimidated!! Ah!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:58 am 
Inflexitarian

Desdemona wrote:
First day of the new semester! This will be my third semester teaching, and my first post-coursework and exam, and I'm a little weirded out at the relative lack of structure from here on out. My Big Plan is to get my dissertation proposal written and approved by Christmas if at all possible, but that's my big plan, rather anything necessarily enforced by external factors (other than wanting to finish in five years, that is). Self-motivation and time management skills, ACTIVATE!

Yeah, I have my quals in a month, my prospectus defense in May, and then I'll be freeeeee, and it will probably be way too much freedom for me to deal with.

You can do it though! Self-motivation and time-management for the win!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:54 am 
Married to the wolfman

Hang in there j-dub! You are gonna be back with it pretty fast I bet.

As for me, I dropped one of my classes, because i figured out how to graduate this spring without doing anything crazy or drastic. (There's a sort of loophole in transfer credit that works in my favor because I took grad classes both at my current school in a different department and also at a totally different school.) So now I am only taking a normal course load (and working 2 days a week) and my schedule looks so open! Like maybe I don't have to stay up til 11 working every night!

It's probably a trick though and I probably still do need to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am LOVING my school so far. We've spent the last three days working on measuring and drawing a room. We have tomorrow as well, the professors are coming by tomorrow to guide us a little. My group (department 5) is situated a little further away than the rest of the school - it's in the middle of this nature rich island in the middle of the city of Copenhagen.

This is where I have my very own table. It's an old hangar and it's from the 17th century! How crazy is that?!

Materials and drawing equipment is crazy expensive, and I just ordered a bunch of expensive books, but I am LOVING spending money on something that I KNOW I will love.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 64  Next