| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:49 am 
Inflexitarian

Wow, smoothie, that looks like a really rad workspace.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Smoothie, I'm so glad you are enjoying it! And that is a seriously cool place to work in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm getting pissed at this online exam prep course. The NAVLE (exam for veterinary licensing) is at the end of November/beginning of December and my online course keeps reminding me that I've only completed 9% of the practice questions and that everyone else is at 30%. Eff you, VetPrep, I'm not going to rush this!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm 
Inflexitarian

Someone else defended and there were post-defense drinks. So I've had 4 or 5 drinks and it is 3pm and I need to get some work done. But. I think this is a benefit. My code hasn't been working so looking it over with a different state of mind will surely help me to figure out what the problem is.

It's exciting though. Plotting colour magnitude diagrams for the stars from the cluster I'm looking like, it actually looks like a main sequence. It even has a turn off and a red giant branch! It's like, holy crepe my work isn't nonsense. It looks like a thing!

My code still isn't working right though, so time to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

LOATHE having 2 computers with 2 operating systems and 2 sets of programmes. It is impossible (for me) to use both effectively, so I get lost with copies of copies of files, can't find the most updated thing, cloud sharing doesn't work (the uni has disabled that, apart from google drive, which isn't very handy for the kind of sharing I'd want to do). Also, (re-)converting files multiple times? sucks bigtime for those files. Arg. What a forking first world problem, but maaaaaan, it makes my data life unnecessarily chaotic.

I have a laptop and a desktop at the university with a giant screen which I love. But data stuff? Oof. Dislike, dislike, dislike.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Lutin: Time for a Dropbox-account? My boyfriend swears that dropbox changed his life! He even uses it for bigger movie files and music files (that's what he works with).

We're having a week of lectures - the themes are awesome: "Abstraction", "Fragment", "Transparence" and "Rationalism". The theme is "Modern art and architecture" and we're learning about Dadaism and Bauhaus and all sorts of awesome things that I've been geeky about for a long time.
BUT lectures are pretty hard to sit through when you're used to participation in class. Lectures is a completely different world that what I'm used to. Luckily it's not very often that we have lectures like that, which is awesome because I've been tired and a bit headachy every day!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Lutin, this is a problem for me as well now that I am toting around one laptop (for work, with Windows) on odd days and one laptop (my own, with OS X) on even days. It makes me a little crazy. For some types of docs, Google Drive or something is probably really useful...

As for me, I am coming here to post in shame. I missed a class for the first time this semester, for a stupid reason (so busy at work I genuinely lost track of time and missed my bus aaaaaah) and I'm worried that I also missed a quiz... I could swear the professor said the quiz was next Monday, but it's listed on the schedule as being today and now I am FREAKING OUT.

I sent the professor an email and hopefully she's cool about it because aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahljlkjfadsfsdaf.

Also I just worked for 9 hours and after I get done here I need to go straight home and do some work on my thesis project because I have a lab meeting tomorrow and I need to have something to show.

Can working part time and being a full time graduate student actually be too much for me to handle? What the fork have I gotten myself into this time?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:24 am 

I'm switching between OS X (with Pages, Numbers, Keynote) and Windows (with MS Office), so dropbox doesn't work since I have to convert files from one format to another, as well, and doing that too many times is terrible for the file. I use Drive to keep track of group projects, and half of my work, because it is in the cloud and very deliberately platform generic, but a lot of the older academics I work with are still suspicious of it, or hate having to have additional logons, so that means more file sending as well (grr.). I also often run into the problem that my spreadsheets are too big for Drive to handle (true fact! they're giant!).

The "solution" would be to have open office or MS office on both computers, but I like the Mac suite so much more. =/
Otherwise, FWP, gripe, gripe, gripe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I can't finish the key reactions I need to do for my paper/thesis because other people in the lab/department have used up reagents without re-ordering them or have destroyed the integrity of the reagents by not using them properly. I am ripping my hair out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:42 pm 
Inflexitarian

Today was the first colloquium of the school-year, with refreshments afterwards. Free food season has recommenced!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

What I have been doing all week at school: working with fragments, talking about fragments and making a collage. I like this version of grown up very very much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I've been pretty good about not procrastinating so far this semester but today has consisted of waiting for a meeting that got cancelled, forking around on the internet, eating, getting a coffee, forking around some more. At some point I've gotta read!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love critiques you guys. I don't even care about my own as much as I love looking at and talking about other people's work and seeing their process and and!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My research project isn't going well. It is frustrating and is sapping my will to work on it. My advisor has been very encouraging and has told me he's pretty confident I'll get through and I suppose I am too but right now I just want to put it in a box and forget about it for a month... which of course is the absolutely last thing I should rationally do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

coldandsleepy wrote:
My research project isn't going well. It is frustrating and is sapping my will to work on it. My advisor has been very encouraging and has told me he's pretty confident I'll get through and I suppose I am too but right now I just want to put it in a box and forget about it for a month... which of course is the absolutely last thing I should rationally do.

That's rough, dude. Is there a different part of the project you can work on right now and ignore the frustrating part for a week? I try to do that sometimes and just having a little breather helps my brain process and come up with solutions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:37 am 

couroupita's suggestion, plus outlining the remaining stuff, or making a giant flowchart (which you can X out) or something might also help...?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:47 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I met with my advisor and she likes my dissertation idea! We've agreed that the goal is for me to have the prospectus written, approved, and filed by Christmas, which seems like a reasonable proposition. So now I just have to read All The Books And Articles. (And maybe find that bonzer primary document that guarantees me scholastic immortality? Or something?)

In other news, my first round of freshmen papers came in, so there goes the weekend; that's what I get for assigning them!

Le sigh.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just spent my saturday at a 7 hour fundraising-workshop, and it was without a doubt the best workshop I've ever attended. It was super well planned and executed, and it turns out that tiny Denmark with 6 million people has no less than 13.000 funds that you can apply to! And A LOT of them are for artists and creative people - and because I attend the Royal Danish Academy of Arts I can find hundreds that I can apply to.

This education just keeps getting better and better and better! We were only 20 participants of more than a thousand invited, and it was FREE. And we got to buy the book and a 6 month subscription to the list of relevant fundraising dates and stuff for 20 dollars.

OH and we had our first big, official critique and the professor was REALLY positive about our project - he said that he didn't think that anyone was able to combine Dada's and Bauhaus' work with fragments in a natural way, but that we achieved that and that it was different from anything he's ever seen before. And he's been a professor for around 30 years!

I really hope that I can remember how awesome and RIGHT this feels right now, when I'm in the middle of something that's really hard and makes it hard to remember!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My research is still stuck in the outline phase because my supervisor doesn't think my idea is developed enough to be put in paper form. I'm sorry, but my idea of an outline is a bullet point list with what I plan on covering, not 5 paragraphs about what I'm covering in each chapter. I'm racing the clock because my study permit expires at the end of November and I don't want to pay for an extension.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Holy molasses I don't know how to keep up with all of this reading. There is just SO much.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:44 pm 
Married to the wolfman

J-dub, I feel you. My first year of grad school, the amount of paper-reading required was so immense as to kill my enthusiasm for reading for pleasure. I used to be the kind of person who was never not reading so... yeah. It was big.

Guess what! Good news on my front! I figured out the thing I was stuck on. I was so convinced it was a problem with my code, but in order to prove it (to myself and others), I went ahead and ordered an extremely inexpensive piece of hardware that let me test my other hardware. And!! So revealed that it was a hardware problem all along. Ordered another component and I should be back in business on that front in a couple of days.

Meanwhile, I've been doing as much else I can without functional hardware... it's hard because all the actual work I need to do is contingent on that working. But, the enforced break from programming gave me more time to think about the problem in different ways and explore a couple of tangents... some of which I think will ultimately end up in my project.

Grad school is such a hilarious rollercoaster of good/awful/good/awful/good/awful/OH fork DEADLINES.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:58 am 

coldandsleepy wrote:
Grad school is such a hilarious rollercoaster of good/awful/good/awful/good/awful/OH fork DEADLINES.

Yes, this.

(And yes, grad skill killed my pleasure reading, too.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:34 am 
Inflexitarian

I know I'm hardly ever around, so you're probably all, "Go the fork away, attention hors d'oeuvre," but... I passed my oral qualifying exams!

And now I have to catch up on all the shiitake I've been neglecting for the last two months. But still. Yay me!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:21 am 
Flounceiad 2011

quark wrote:
I know I'm hardly ever around, so you're probably all, "Go the fork away, attention hors d'oeuvre," but... I passed my oral qualifying exams!
Yes! Congratulations! Don't you feel better now? Or has the air of surrealism not worn off yet?
quark wrote:
And now I have to catch up on all the shiitake I've been neglecting for the last two months. But still. Yay me!
That's how it goes, but do pause for a minute to pat yourself on the back! Onward and upward!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thank you! It's still surreal. I certainly feel relieved, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 61  Next