| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:20 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oh no, I'm sorry c&s. I didn't even know that was possible. Can your advisor offer some ideas as to how to get the result you need?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm changing my thesis to "Comparative Turnips: the prevalence of root vegetables in art theoretical analogies and what that says for the contemporary era of criticism"

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

also, I am currently in a contemporary art theory seminar that I took as an elective and it is SO GOOD and is making me SO MAD about how little I am learning in my mandatory graduate seminar which is essentially the same thing!

in the elective class we have about ~150 pages (totally manageable) of readings and a two page response papers due every week, are expected to teach/lead one class discussion, and have a final paper. The entire 3-hour class is guided discussion of the readings. SO INFORMATIVE, especially since a lot of what we are reading is dense as hell and it helps a lot to unpack it. the readings are varied and some are pretty deep cuts in to the critical history of postmodern art. the professor is SUPER intelligent and respectful and really listens/discusses with us. I love this class.

COMPARED TO:
in the mandatory grad seminar we have about ~50pages of readings over the entire semester (more than 50% of which should have been covered in almost ANY undergraduate art history class, this is the 7th time I've had to read "the work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction" for a class since high school). we have no discussions, are not allowed to ask questions (or disagree with him), and the professor literally stands in front of us and reads aloud from his book for 4 hours straight. his slides are arbitrary and he often misspells artist's names, their works, or misattributes a work to an artist. HE SPENT 20 MINUTES OF HIS LECTURE ON FEMINIST ART TALKING ABOUT JACKSON POLLOCK. ALL OF THE READINGS ARE FROM WHITE MALE AUTHORS. I'm so maaaaaddddddd. he's such a douche and he has tennuurreeeeeeeeeee argh!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:38 pm 

Our digital scale broke and costs $600 to repair. Our advisor won't cough up the money to fix one of the most important pieces of lab equipment we use.

Btw, he's a millionaire (I know personal wealth is separate from lab grants, but still). Screw this guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Haha, boober, I can so relate. (I was ideologically attacked by a prof in my last mandatory course, which brought me *nothing* but sleepless nights and very stressful Tuesdays for 4 months). But still, as long as you get something out of the elective class, at least it's a win for you. And it's great to see how much fun you're having.

Annnd I'm jumping up and down in my office! A paper of mine got accepted at the academic programme of a *major* SF convention. I'm so excited!
That said, I just spent *all* my travel budget for 2014 on that (and even some more). But I feel like it 's so worth it! *jumps around some more*

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mixed bag today.

- My prof. turned my annotations into an awesome statistical model which shows pretty much what I wanted it to. No interactions, but all the important predictors are there. Awesome that she spent a week trying to plough through it in R and then an afternoon at the dept. statistician's office working through the details, but I feel like a looser for not having been able to do it myself.

- My supervisor and I had a meeting today, where I told him this. His opinion is that work is never done in isolation anymore, and having someone stats heavy to work through terrible variable manipulations on my behalf is awesome and I shouldn't fret. (Except I am fretting because, job market, and everyone wants sexy software skills right now, and I have none.)

- My other prof. was teaching a course on my (our) topic last week, and asked his 2 jr. PhD's to present their topics, but not me (I'm in my last year). I'm not sure how he meant that, if at all, but my academic ego smarts from it just the same.

- The journal special issue I am co-editing is comprised of people who are late, late, late, late. I have endless issues with my co-author on our piece because she has 0 time management skills, and another author said, I think, that he pretty much hasn't started his piece, even though the original deadline was October and he's had more than a year to get his shiitake together. Today the journal editor sent an email saying that if we don't submit 5 pieces soon, we should "re-think our original plan" (i.e. kill the special issue) which would SUCK because 2 pieces I've co-authored are going into it, and I want them to be published. One of them might get accepted elsewhere, but probably not the other.

- Also, seriously researchers? I don't think I've ever met so many people with such poor time management skills. I know I'm not a prof. yet, but I expect that a full prof. should, by now, be able to make reasonable guesses about what they are realistically able to do and when. I am really frustrated that so many people seem to think it's ok to not care (about wasting other people's time). I don't imagine for a minute that they're watching Sherlock on re-run at night, or whatever, they're busy people with busy lives, but I wish they could guess their own ability to get work done better because it negatively impacts my ability to work and get stuff done when they are wrong.

\rant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:15 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Last week I found out I passed the NAVLE (North American Veterinary Licensing Exam) and even though I don't graduate until May, I have 3 interviews lining up and just booked a flight to Portland, OR to see about one of them. I'm so stoked on life even though I'm slightly scared about the life changes that will happen once things start rolling. Do I stay in the DC are to be near all my friends and family or should I try adventuring far away and on another coast for a few years? I want to apply to jobs in new cities just so I can have an excuse to take trips and experience new things. Unfortunately, it means I will burn through some of the loans I set aside for savings. Decisions, decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

the school is sending me to a conference in april wheee!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:24 am 
WRETCHED

camuscando, I grew up in southern California and I moved away to experience new things. First, I tried Denver which was alright but it wasn't quite me. Then I moved to the DC area (Maryland) and I really enjoy it. The biggest thing is I miss my family and although I like living in Maryland more, I think sometimes I'd give it up to live with my family. My family is drama filled though so maybe I just say that because I don't live near them. Moving away after college can be somewhat isolating as real life isn't like college. It is harder to meet people unless you are someone who puts yourself out there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:04 am 
WRETCHED

And I didn't update my status from a couple months ago... I didn't get into the first round for the graduate program but I also read that they expected to take on 600 students, out of 3000 applicants, they took on 300 students. I was not one of them. They rolled our applications into the summer/fall admissions and were expected to let us know by yesterday but because of the snow/ice in Georgia (it is an online program), the school was closed so it will be sometime next week. I was actually somewhat relieved not to get accepted as I didn't feel ready to start school again but now I'm nervous... If you don't hear from me, it means I got totally rejected :) But I have no idea on the numbers of how many they will accept for summer/fall and there are still 2699 applications out there with mine.

And I don't know what I'll do otherwise, maybe look for a different program but I wasn't happy with the previous one I was in (local, Johns Hopkins). And not a lot of local options that offer flexible programs for those of us with 9-5 jobs. UMD (an hour away) only has daytime classes unless you do their 'professional' program, which is what I was doing at JHU and I didn't care for it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Right, I'm finally back in the studying saddle and am determined to finish my post-grad. Only 700words left to finish one of the assignments. I'm determined to get it pretty much done this weekend then spend the next week doing some heavy editing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:11 pm 
Huffs Nooch

linanil, I don't remember what you're studying, but my brother did the professional degree program with UMD and so did several of my good friends, and they seemed to think it was pretty good. Of course, they were in the undergraduate night class program so it might be very different for graduate programs. I went to UMD for undergrad and really liked it.

I agree about your advice on isolation. Even though I'm only 4.5 hours away from home, I definitely miss the DC area. Of course, a lot of that is having good food and entertainment options nearby and Blacksburg is lacking in a lot of amenities. I'm taking several days off Feb. 27-March 2 to see Portland for myself in addition to going to the interview. I'm definitely going to pursue the job leads back near home, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

200 words left!!!! I know I have the conclusion but I think there are parts in the main body that need to be plumped out a bit but I am going to print it out tomorrow to have a read through to see what needs to be moved, cut, changed and added. So proud. I'm planning to be completely done with this assignment next Sunday.

Then I get to move on to the big bad one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:28 pm 

Well done, daisychain!

Before I can graduate, I have to write and defend two original research proposals. I'm planning to do them on stuff related to my future internship but I just can't get motivated. I enjoy researching and reading about the most recent advances, but I have absolutely no desire to come up with a project. Does that make me a bad scientist?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm having the weirdest bad week with my thesis project. So I forget if I said it here, but I FINALLY had the major breakthrough that made my project go from non-functional to functional. Great. So now all I really have to do is run a bunch of experiments-- baselines for a bunch of things without my code, then the same things over again with my program running.

This is supposed to be the easy part and it would be but here's the thing: I feel totally unmotivated to work on it at all. What? Why?

I am so so so close to graduating on time. All I have to do is survive my two classes this semester and finish this project. I can NOT stop forking working on it. And yet here I am. What is wrong with me?

Tonight I sat down to work on it and I can't find a cable I need. And the reason I can't find it is because I can't remember what the fork I did with it after the last time I used it, a week ago. This is a cable I need to use pretty much every time I work on my project. So, yeah.

Bad week on the rollercoaster. When it should have been a good week.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:45 pm 

coldandsleepy wrote:
I'm having the weirdest bad week with my thesis project. So I forget if I said it here, but I FINALLY had the major breakthrough that made my project go from non-functional to functional. Great. So now all I really have to do is run a bunch of experiments-- baselines for a bunch of things without my code, then the same things over again with my program running.

This is supposed to be the easy part and it would be but here's the thing: I feel totally unmotivated to work on it at all. What? Why?

I am so so so close to graduating on time. All I have to do is survive my two classes this semester and finish this project. I can NOT stop forking working on it. And yet here I am. What is wrong with me?

Tonight I sat down to work on it and I can't find a cable I need. And the reason I can't find it is because I can't remember what the fork I did with it after the last time I used it, a week ago. This is a cable I need to use pretty much every time I work on my project. So, yeah.

Bad week on the rollercoaster. When it should have been a good week.

DUDE. I feel you. I just need to finish a few experiments for a paper (whose research is finally working after 6 months of misery!) and write my stuff up. I took last week off and sat on the couch all day because I just couldn't get motivated. What the hell, brain?? I think I read somewhere that it's a response to stress, to just shut down. Even if there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

We can do it! Fist pump!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

Good luck to those of you with dissertations!

I'm still only grad special, but. . . I'm taking a couple classes I need later for a teaching license, and I'm taking them at the undergraduate level. The reason for this is fairly simple: I won't need the extra grad credit, since I'll be seeking a TESOL endorsement while I'm at it. And as a grad special student who is not eligible for aid (as I am technically not seeking a degree), I'm happy to save a few hundred bucks on these classes.

Anyway, professor noticed what I did and asked if I still wanted to do the graduate level of work. This comes down to our presentation being twice as long and being relabeled "teaching the class", having longer papers with more outside sources, the basic "English class at graduate level" goodies.

And basically I'm really hoping I get a letter of recommendation out of her come April, because really now. Call me crazy, but nobody does extra work for funsies without *some* selfish intent. Or do they? Do I have the wrong attitude? Am I crazy in hoping this will somehow benefit me?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The organizers of a local conference just said that they are arranging vegan lunch and dinner for several at the event (including a keynote) so it's no problem for me to register (and possibly cancel, because concussion). I did not even request special food! That is awesome.

Also awesome is how seriously my profs are taking my concussion plus recovery time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:33 pm 

I feel like I'm broken. I just can't get motivated to finish what I need to do. I don't feel excited about starting my internship over the summer even though it's going to be great. I'm worried my apathy will carry over from grad school to work. How do I get out of this funk??

On the bright side, I mentioned to my advisor that I have a job lined up. He's so hard to communicate with that I have to introduce to idea of my leaving gradually.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm in shock guys... I got an acceptance to a MS in Computer Science program at Georgia tech (online). Uhh... what?! Am I really crazy enough to go back to school?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:44 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
I'm in shock guys... I got an acceptance to a MS in Computer Science program at Georgia tech (online). Uhh... what?! Am I really crazy enough to go back to school?
YES! Yes, you are! Congratulations!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 am 
WRETCHED

I'm a little overwhelmed but I guess I take it one step at a time. It is a pilot program so I will just be taking one class and I have the choice to start in May or defer to a Fall start. I've been reading all the information about the various specializations they have. I'm not sure if I want to specialize in something quasi work related or go for something different... I don't have to choose right now though.

I should also say that the program is 90% male and they had 3000 applicants, the first 350 started last month and another 250 were chosen for the second wave. I'm the second wave. I feel a little scared that they chose me but I gotta represent the women yo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You will do a great job representing the women (yo!).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yes! :D

2014 rocks! So far I got accepted by two of the three conferences I really really want to speak at (still waiting for a response from #3)!
Right now I'm just battling uni administration, because they want to delete my mail account over the summer. I'm coming back in autumn, and there's a lot of stuff connected to my PhD thesis on there, so I'm still trying to find a way to keep it open.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:24 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm going away in a week for observing at a telescope in Chile and I just got an e-mail about some bullshiitake hoop I needed to have jumped through weeks ago related to travel funding which isn't advertised anywhere, so I might be out a couple thousand dollars.

Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 56  Next