| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

Okay, I guess I can make it work out anyway. I just have to fill out some surprise paperwork and waste two hours at a meeting about travel safety or whatever. I've switched from panic to just being angry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Halp PPK! I've decided to go to grad school for my MSN-FNP degree. I just moved to a new city, started a new job, and it's probably not the BEST time to be doing this. But I'm getting so stagnant, I literally feel like my brain is rotting. Right now I'm getting my application in order and studying for my MATs (Miller Analogy Test) which are required for admission. I'm feeling no motivation to get this studying done, I typically don't do spectacular on standardized tests, and I'm bordering on antipathy as what happens if I do all this hard core studying and don't get accepted? I really only want to go to one program as it's online and would be the best choice for me since I need to work full-time as well. Any hints or tips on making my application killer if my standardized test grade doesn't surpass my expectations? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:28 am 
WRETCHED

Good luck SD! You can do it. I would just bite a little bit off at a time with the studying. Don't worry about the test, just worry about the pieces.

I would also say that sometimes online programs require more work than classroom based programs. I say this as I am 3 months away from my online program. Basically, some programs try to prove they are equal by assigning more work than you would expect in a classroom. I've learned well in both types of programs but if you have a classroom program in your new area, I wouldn't necessarily pass it up because of your full time job.

Where did you move to?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had been planning on taking a year or so off between undergrad and grad, but under since I'm now graduating in December, I decided I'd apply to grad school this year since I wouldn't be starting for almost a year anyway. Soooo that means I need to take the GRE this summer.

Is a prep course worth it? Or would lots of practice books and prep on my own be just as good? The cheapest I'm seeing is $500.... I mean, the test costs $200, so I guess if taking a prep course means I only have to take it once instead of a few times, it'd be worth it?

Ugh, I wish the GRE wasn't so expensive!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats linanil! Good luck, SD!

Don't waste your money on a prep course. Buy a gre vocab book and a general gre prep book and take some practice tests. That should be plenty as long as you study!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:16 am 
Saggy Butt

i have a majorly overdue assignment and i am going into guilt/anxiety/self-hate mode. none of which are getting shiitake done mode.

i've been here before and i need to just get started. it won't be as bad as i've made it out to be, because it never is. further, schoolwork is not, in anyway, a reflection of my moral character. i am not trying to redeem myself as a person here. i am trying to learn some neat statistical concepts. that's all. nothing more than that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

assignment done enough and submitted. i'm such a potatohead sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:01 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

couroupita wrote:
Don't waste your money on a prep course. Buy a gre vocab book and a general gre prep book and take some practice tests. That should be plenty as long as you study!
Yes to this. I took a bunch of practice tests online for free, and I think it definitely helped me flex my test-taking muscles. Good luck!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks guys! I ordered a general prep book and some vocab note cards.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yay! Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 am 
WRETCHED

Good luck with the GRE. I took it 15 years ago or so and it has changed a lot but I agree with just studying the vocab and doing the best you can.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:53 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

re-post from the Feminism thread in the Parlor, but I thought it might also be applicable here since women face ... special issues in grad school. e.g. in my dept, something like 80% of the students, grads and post-docs are women, but only men + two women are on the dept's faculty (and the women, of course, have a lower rank). At meetings, only the men speak. It is uncomfortable, and no one seems to know how to change it.

This piece, about the challenges women face in STEM fields, written by an organic chemist who was pretty much chased out of both academia and industry. The quote bellow is a pretty good sum of the rhetoric around women, STEM, etc. etc. http://modelviewculture.com/pieces/i-di ... o-lean-out

Quote:
When a pipeline leaks, we don't blame the water. We fix the pipe and design the next one to leak less. Why do we blame women who leave STEM fields?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 am 
WRETCHED

STEM fields are hurting and on the job market, IT specifically is hurting as women leave the unfriendly environment.

I didn't share my full story about getting into Georgia tech but they initially rejected me, citing that I needed more courses in Computer Science. At which point, I became upset. I emailed them telling them that I have an undergrad CS degree with lots of extra classes and research with a professor, I have a MS in Computer Information Science (which is closely related to CS), a sprinkling of grad CS courses and 15 years experience in IT. I then told them that if they thought I needed more CS classes then I'd appreciate them telling me specifically what they thought they were lacking. The email I got back indicated they would look into my rejection and then 2 weeks later, I got an accept. I mentioned above that this is a program where 90% of the students are male. Now I don't know what happened but the initial reject listed the wrong semester. Now if they had rejected me citing grades (my undergrad was barely a 3.0 but my grad was 3.9) or that they just had too many applicants, I would've been fine with that. Telling me that I needed more classes was just upsetting. It was hard for me not to feel that it was due to me being female more than not.

And my husband jokingly told me that I was my own helicopter parent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

On a somewhat related topic: A culture of acceptance of mental health issues in academia, http://www.theguardian.com/higher-educa ... university, as in: Academia creates mental health issues in PhDs, Post Docs and Others, and no one wants to do anything about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks linanil and coroupita! I just took my first practice test and got 53/100 questions right :/. I don't know what that translates to as an acceptable score, but my program wants over a 400. Back to studying!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

When you're putting together a powerpoint for a conference presentation, what are the rules/expectations for citing? Google is just telling me how to cite a conference presentation which is not at all helpful.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 pm 
WRETCHED

Jdub, this meshes with how I've done it before
http://library.peirce.edu/html/Citations/powerpoint

And this is their APA example
http://library.peirce.edu/APA/powerpoint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 pm 

Thank you!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:28 pm 

OH MY GOD. I thought I was presenting on Sunday but it's actually this Thursday. How the hell did I get that wrong?! AHHHHH. So soon! And it's during a class of mine. Whoops!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck, j-dub!!!!!!

I'd planned to spend my tax return on a tattoo - but it turns out that people are actually *asking* me to give papers at conferences in my field now. o.O I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed. So many papers to prepare and articles to write this year! But can you see the giant smile on my face???!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:10 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

lutin wrote:
Quote:
When a pipeline leaks, we don't blame the water. We fix the pipe and design the next one to leak less. Why do we blame women who leave STEM fields?

I saw that article! Part of me thinks it is true but another part of me is befuddled by it. I think part of it is the 'tough love' or 'this is how it is' attitude of some. My field (synthetic organic chemistry) is definitely an old boy's club. I have additional pressure because of being in my (not yet tenured) professor's first class of students. The younger years definitely can get away with more slacking than my other year mate and I, which is sort of frustrating. If I didn't have such a supportive boyfriend or wonderful students that I teach, then I would have been in danger of quitting years ago.

ETA: A visiting lecturer once commented on this issue and said that part of it may be how to motivate others. He commented that the women he has mentored respond better to positive reinforcement, but the men can handle a little more screw tightening. I agree but also know that mentality plays a big role. Some in my research group start to whine and moan if the screws are starting to tighten, while I just shrug and accept it for the most part.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:44 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My sister has been talking for years about how she wants to go to grad school. As in, with no specific career objective in mind, she feels like a acquiring any sort of graduate degree will magically improve her life somehow. She has worked for a city government for a while and this year applied for masters programs in public administration. She thinks this degree will get her a higher paying job. As someone in a field where an expensive graduate degree is absolutely the only option, I have been desperately trying to convince her that she does not want the kind of debt I have to deal with. I know I sound mean but I really want to tell her that the kind of programs that accepted her just want her money, and that in the current economy she is probably more employable without a masters degree. Am I too much of a dick for not wanting to leave my sister alone when I think she's making a huge mistake? She's certainly made it clear that she thinks I'm a dick. Does anyone else agree with me though?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

it's spring break! I spent all day friday and saturday in the studio (9am-11pm) and today i'm calling "vacation day" so I went for a walk and then read 50 pages of theory because that's as relaxed as I can get.
I have work I need to get done every day this week, and a doctor's appointment and that's the entirety of my spring break.

~grad school fun times~

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm right there with you, Boober. I'm a first year BA/undergrad and there is just always SO MUCH STUFF TO DO. And the rare full days off are always reserved for doing laundry/cleaning the house/meeting up with friends that I've neglected. I guess it's good that studio time and the lectures are so much fun, otherwise I'd have gone crazy by now! We don't even get spring break, we're traveling with the department (but I'll take traveling for 10 days over watching bad tv shows in bed from exhaustion any day). Can't wait for the 2 month summer break! I really really want to read some fiction just for the sake of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've just applied to get in to the institute of my dreams (the school is making a big change; we've been 9 departments with different profiles for the past million years, but from September there will be 4 institutes instead, and I REALLY want to get into the one called "The art of building and culture"). I might have gone a little overboard with my application, but that can only be a good thing, right?
Aaargh, nerves = wrecked. Guess I can't do any more about it now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 61  Next