| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:45 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Ok, well its all back together again, minus the page numbering! I also may move where the + signs go in the table, and add in degrees of freedom (prob should have included this in the beginning but noone told me what to include in tables...I need to learn to ask things! Otherwise Advisor has it again!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:37 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I can't handle this. She says to stop trying for thjis semester and go into summer.

This means I will lose my job. They made it sound pretty clear that that would happen if I didn't graduate this semester. I really like my job and I really forking hate my thesis. I don't see THAT many changes but she doesn't want to keep going on this.

(eta- technically she says "I don't think you can make it by..."

Maybe I can repeat grovel at the feet of the grad school, work something out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

How much time do you have left? I vote for groveling.

This sounds so stressful. Sorry you're dealing with stupid revisions!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Is there any way you can schedule a meeting to find out what exactly you need to change? I still think you can do it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:19 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I got til tomorrow through the grad school. I wonder if its possible to ask them "I will give you some sort of collateral that will ensure that I made format changes to my thesis even if it occurs after graduation." They have a lot of papers to comb through asnd make sure pages are numbered right, etc.

I really wish the acquaintance I have that worked as asst dean to the grad school still worked there! BAH! I totally used to have pull there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:51 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I've done all the things except for page numbering!

But I can't get it to work. It keeps thinking I want to be on page 18, but I want to start numbering (with #1) at page 10. I don't know why its being to complicated. It used to be easier.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Formatting sucks. Arg. (Agreed it used to be easier.) What a stupid thing to have to deal with on top of everything else. Can you creat section breaks and number each section separately?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:34 am 
Married to the wolfman

lycophyte wrote:
I can't handle this. She says to stop trying for thjis semester and go into summer.

This means I will lose my job. They made it sound pretty clear that that would happen if I didn't graduate this semester. I really like my job and I really forking hate my thesis. I don't see THAT many changes but she doesn't want to keep going on this.

:| That is truly awful lyco. I hope you can work something out. It's really just down to formatting?? The idea of not graduating because your formatting off is... horrifying.

Are you doing the formatting in LaTeX or something else...?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:05 am 
WRETCHED

lycophyte wrote:
I've done all the things except for page numbering!

But I can't get it to work. It keeps thinking I want to be on page 18, but I want to start numbering (with #1) at page 10. I don't know why its being to complicated. It used to be easier.

Which program are you using? I have Pages but I know in word, you can go into the page numbering and tell it to start at a certain page.

Alternative? Make 2 files? 1 starting at page 10 and the other one for pages 1-9. Then save both as PDF and use a program to merge them (I've done this before for some reason).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:14 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lutin wrote:
Formatting sucks. Arg. (Agreed it used to be easier.) What a stupid thing to have to deal with on top of everything else.
GAAAH. I remember that final formatting phase of my MA thesis, and being absolutely enraged. After all the blood, sweat, and tears of the Actual Project, it seems like there should really be some sort of program that does all this forking clerical busywork for you. Hang in there; you can do this!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:56 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

coldandsleepy wrote:
lycophyte wrote:

:| That is truly awful lyco. I hope you can work something out. It's really just down to formatting?? The idea of not graduating because your formatting off is... horrifying.

Are you doing the formatting in LaTeX or something else...?

I'm just using Word. They never offered the use of any other program for it really; they say they don't endorse but there is whining if you try and use something else. It isn't quite down to just formatting, I'm still waiting to see if my committee will sign off (besides the formatting) on the content at all.

I've thought of the PDF merge before- I don't have a program, but my gf has one. Plus, it just occurred to me that the front page can be removed entirely because it isn't supposed to be counted in the page numbers, and it has to be signed in person (I assume), so obviously it needs to be scanned separately anyway.

I might try asking @ the computer lab or something. I figure I should go in and grovel in person, as much as 2 hours on the road seems like a long time in a day to lose, maybe it will give me a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:02 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

If you just need a way to merge pdf's, google drive has an app that'll do it (pdf merge-y, I think) and you can also google a bunch of free ones. For the rest, yeah: My uni is the same, except the default in LaTeX, and no. Just, no.

eta: You are so close to the end! You can do it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:29 am 
WRETCHED

Lycophyte, this is for Word 2013
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 41427.aspx

This is word 2010
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 32542.aspx

This is word 2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 27657.aspx

If none of those work, let me know. We can try some things, like if you send it to me, I can try to add the page numbers for you. My work computer has word 2010 I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:11 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Oooh! I put in a section break where I wanted to start putting the numbers, and it works now! I was definitely too tired last night to make sense of it by the end. Good.

Now, formatting fine tooth comb, then I'll head over to the grad school for groveling. I guess I should also make my account for uploading and do all of that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:32 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Dear committeeeeeee I need to hear from you!

I'm gonna go in and see about coercive sheet signing, and grad school groveling. However, one of my committee members lives out here, which means that once I go out there and come back, the form won't be out there anymore. So I'll have to drive out another day (and take off of work). iiffffffffffff they sign.

Well at least I got my tax ext done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:39 am 
Inflexitarian

I have to set up a committee meeting soon. I wrote up a draft of my progress report which was absolute crepe because I haven't accomplished anything substatial in the last 6 months, but my supervisor seems to think it's okay so I guess I will accept that judgement. I'm not convinced he read it, though, because it's really bad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tea wrote:
I have to set up a committee meeting soon. I wrote up a draft of my progress report which was absolute crepe because I haven't accomplished anything substatial in the last 6 months, but my supervisor seems to think it's okay so I guess I will accept that judgement. I'm not convinced he read it, though, because it's really bad.

My advisor never reads my progress reports!!

My husband's advisor and committee never even read his thesis. We were looking through it last month and found sooooo many typos and errors. Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

couroupita wrote:
Tea wrote:

My husband's advisor and committee never even read his thesis. We were looking through it last month and found sooooo many typos and errors. Ha!

Ha! I love my advisor, he's great, but I really, really doubt he's going to read all 90some pages of my thesis. One of my committee members almost definitely will, though, and she will ask me hard questions about it so... I'm preparing for that.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:35 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

couroupita wrote:
Tea wrote:

LUCKY!
I wouldn't be in this pickle if people didn't bother reading!

I got an extension til Monday! I went over formatting with the format editor of the school so that is all squared away. My advisor's complaints are currently about unevenness in some tables, typos, etc.
She has also totally checked out. I think she will sign off if the rest of the committee does, but otherwise, she seems to have quit. She wants me to not finish right now, but if the committee will sign, I think she will.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:47 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Yes! Keep pushing.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:31 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I love the smell of an alliaria petiolata during some late night editing.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 am 
Inflexitarian

couroupita wrote:

One time, I had written a ~10 page report and sent it to my supervisor. He responded less than a minute later with "Very impressive". He probably didn't even open the attachment!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:30 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

GAAAH! YOU GUYS! I had an article accepted awhile back and was expecting tons of revisions, and just heard back that the readers wanted - wait for it - none. Yes, that is right: zero, zip, nada. This is a ginormous relief, because I am doubleplushappy not to have to revisit this year old article when I'm so pumped about starting my (wholly unrelated) dissertation. Could it be that I don't actually suck so much after all?!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Whoops - double post!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:59 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Congrats Desde!

UGH. I still don't know if my thesis will be accepted and if I am graduating (and keeping my job).
My advisor is checked out and doesn't care...may sign if the committee does.
The committee members are reading it, from what I can tell, but I was again mentioning the deadline and one of the members was "well, if you knew these deadlines were so important, you should have been trying harder." Thanks asshat, I haven't been sitting on my asparagus (well actually I HAVE been sitting on my asparagus and not much else, working on this thing). I have been working as much as I can, but my advisor decided to make me take a class this semester (I could have gotten a waiver, but she decided to punish me), so I have had to split time between that, and work, and dealing with the heartbreak of like 20 drafts where my advisor gave shit-for-suggestions and a pretty blank "Re-write this, but better. Look at other papers and see how they do it." SO MANY TIMES THAT WAS HER SUGGESTION. And so many suggestions were things that USED to be there that she asked me to take out, so I did, and then she was "why don't you have _______ in?" Maybe I am a shiitake science writer, but she clearly doesn't care anymore, so I just wish they'd just sign off.

I've been dumped the last 2 Aprils, so since that may not happen this April, I fear the heartbreak is going to be "screwed by the committee and dumped by my job." Blah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 65  Next