| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So cool, Desdemona!

I just spent forever cutting video and embedding the clips in PowerPoint (I hate PowerPoint) - and then shortening my paper by 3 minutes because I really want to use that last clip! Having to decide what to excise is awful. Now I hope I'm still not talking too fast. Argh!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:36 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lycophyte wrote:
UGH. I still don't know if my thesis will be accepted and if I am graduating (and keeping my job).
My advisor is checked out and doesn't care...may sign if the committee does.
The committee members are reading it, from what I can tell, but I was again mentioning the deadline and one of the members was "well, if you knew these deadlines were so important, you should have been trying harder." Thanks asshat, I haven't been sitting on my asparagus (well actually I HAVE been sitting on my asparagus and not much else, working on this thing). I have been working as much as I can, but my advisor decided to make me take a class this semester (I could have gotten a waiver, but she decided to punish me), so I have had to split time between that, and work, and dealing with the heartbreak of like 20 drafts where my advisor gave shit-for-suggestions and a pretty blank "Re-write this, but better. Look at other papers and see how they do it." SO MANY TIMES THAT WAS HER SUGGESTION. And so many suggestions were things that USED to be there that she asked me to take out, so I did, and then she was "why don't you have _______ in?" Maybe I am a shiitake science writer, but she clearly doesn't care anymore, so I just wish they'd just sign off.

I've been dumped the last 2 Aprils, so since that may not happen this April, I fear the heartbreak is going to be "screwed by the committee and dumped by my job." Blah.
What the hell? Poor you. Your advisor sounds like an absolute nightmare; isn't she supposed to be on your side? I hope you're right, and that the committee signs off and your advisor follows suit. If she is that disengaged from even being interested in helping you - which is reprehensible - you'd think she'd be happy to just see the back of it. Hang in there, and hopefully it will all be taken care of soon!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:27 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Desdemona wrote:
lycophyte wrote:
UGH. I still don't know if my thesis will be accepted and if I am graduating (and keeping my job).
My advisor is checked out and doesn't care...may sign if the committee does.
The committee members are reading it, from what I can tell, but I was again mentioning the deadline and one of the members was "well, if you knew these deadlines were so important, you should have been trying harder." Thanks asshat, I haven't been sitting on my asparagus (well actually I HAVE been sitting on my asparagus and not much else, working on this thing). I have been working as much as I can, but my advisor decided to make me take a class this semester (I could have gotten a waiver, but she decided to punish me), so I have had to split time between that, and work, and dealing with the heartbreak of like 20 drafts where my advisor gave shit-for-suggestions and a pretty blank "Re-write this, but better. Look at other papers and see how they do it." SO MANY TIMES THAT WAS HER SUGGESTION. And so many suggestions were things that USED to be there that she asked me to take out, so I did, and then she was "why don't you have _______ in?" Maybe I am a shiitake science writer, but she clearly doesn't care anymore, so I just wish they'd just sign off.

I've been dumped the last 2 Aprils, so since that may not happen this April, I fear the heartbreak is going to be "screwed by the committee and dumped by my job." Blah.
What the hell? Poor you. Your advisor sounds like an absolute nightmare; isn't she supposed to be on your side? I hope you're right, and that the committee signs off and your advisor follows suit. If she is that disengaged from even being interested in helping you - which is reprehensible - you'd think she'd be happy to just see the back of it. Hang in there, and hopefully it will all be taken care of soon!

I know! She used to be real pressure-y about getting her students to graduate, and now she is all like "I don't think its good enough and you should stay through the summer." I with I hadn't felt so bad about myself that I could have potentially gotten outside help through another professor at the school, but it seriously didn't occur to me til I was tlaking to my classmate who mentioned that it was all sort of shitty and I should have gone to the Bio Dept's grad school liaison.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:04 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Keep pushing.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

i have just a few more weeks (my last exam is 2nd week of may). but i'm so scared, because i've stopped going to class after i had a whole thing with my professor. i don't want to give too many details publicly, because i'm paranoid. but basically, i asked if i could make an appointment to meet with her to discuss something private and she insisted on discussing the issue right then and there in front of a whole bunch of my classmates. she also kept yelling at me and was generally horrible.

and i've just been too humiliated to go back. i will go for the last remaining class. and, like, i know it was the wrong thing to do. i've just never been treated so badly by a professor before. and on top of everything, this was in front of my classmates, which would be bad enough, but these are people who have been horrible to me for two years. people who excluded me from their study groups, who ignored me when i said hello in the hallways, even the man who once hit me in the face with a pen cap and started cracking up instead of apologizing.

so, i'm extremely anxious about these next few weeks and really struggling to forgive myself for not handling it perfectly and focus on studying and getting through the exam. oh well. at least, irrespective of what i do, these next few weeks WILL pass, and it will be over.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:41 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Have you tried going to a university ombudsmon or anything? Sometimes they can help with stuff like that. I'm so sorry that happened :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats, Desdemona!! That's excellent news!

Lyco, that is rough. Apparently my advisor does the same thing with theses (tells you to put something in, then in the next revision tells you to take it out). It's so infuriating and stupid.

paperweight, I'm really sorry. I have no idea what to do in your situation except to try to catch your prof in her office and have another discussion about how it was inappropriate that she humiliated you? Maybe complain to the department chair once the class is over?

It seems like many of us have issues with advisors not respecting our personal lives or timeline. I'm not sure what to do about that but there's an awful lot of abuse going on that ought to be addressed by the universities. The frustration we experience should be with our thesis projects, not fighting with our supposed mentors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:41 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

OMG! One of my committee members said she would sign after I do her edits!!

I think since she said that, my advisor will too! EEP!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:23 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Keep pushing! Edit that shiitake. Yes you can!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:43 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lycophyte wrote:
OMG! One of my committee members said she would sign after I do her edits!!

I think since she said that, my advisor will too! EEP!
pandacookie wrote:
Keep pushing! Edit that shiitake. Yes you can!
YES. Make this happen!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:10 am 
WRETCHED

Go go go Lycophyte!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:11 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks, lycophyte and couroupita. I'm afraid to do anything now, because I'm worried about retaliation. After the class is over though, I will probably try to talk to the relevant office, so no one else has to go through this. (It's, um, ah, a legally protected class issue. And when I told my parents and my friend--all professors--what happened, they all had that "never in a million years, not if you set me on fire" reaction. So either the profs in my department aren't getting adequate training on how to deal with this or this prof is an anomaly. I really don't want to get her in trouble. I just want her to never do that to another student.)

Anyway, I really appreciate the support. It's so easy to feel like I'm just stupid and crazy and wrong, but getting reassurance from people who I know are super smart and awesome really helps. <3

And, lycophyte, awesome news about your committee member! Good luck with the edits!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:33 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

While in the middle of dealing with life BS this week (landlord trying to dictate how much time my bf spends and overnights in my apt, etc. Not allowed by tenant laws here, but getting bullying emails anyway), got a work shock out of nowhere. The only other 5th year in my group has decided to leave after TA duties are done for the semester. Apparently between talking to our advisor and his committee, he is under the impression that he will not have enough working stuff on a single project to start writing a thesis in the fall and graduate at the end of our 6th year. Definitely didn't see this coming, and this makes me the only surviving original member and senior-most grad student in the group. Once the cat is out of the bag, there is going to be so much gossip and BS going around the department about it. Not looking forward to that...

Couroupita that sounds terrible. Are you working without pay at this point? To drag it out this long is ridiculous. Here, we had someone go 8 years before being pushed out the door, but that was because the grad didn't do much work. If you are working hard, that doesn't seem right. Maybe talk to your committee about it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

Still working on committee report. Got a bunch of critiques eventually, and am working on implementing them, but one of the things I need to do is regenerate several of my plots and now my desktop isn't booting (again). The writeup is on my laptop so that's okay, but I can't update the plots because all of my code is on my desktop.

Well... I guess that's not technically true. It's all backed up elsewhere, so I could put it onto my laptop and run it there. But I'd have to edit it a bit to work, which is a hassle, and I'd rather just have a functioning desktop!

It's been doing this repeatedly for the last month or so. One of the drives died (I have 4, ~2 tb each. All backed up elsewhere so that isn't a concern, it's just annoying) so it got replaced, but now another one is complaining I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Off to London tomorrow to meet up with my awesome new co-supervisor, and to talk about science fiction theatre!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:00 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Finally heard from the other committee member. Holy crepe, he has a lot of edits, I am not sleeping tonight. crepe. They are hard ones too....I am dreading even getting to the discussion. I mean, I may have to re-run some stats. NOW?!?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Yes you can! Do you have to make all the edits? Or ignore ones that don't make sense?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:55 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I've ignored a few because they contradict what other people have said. Some of them are good suggestions, but they are hard to do this quickly, and I made so many changes to the results that I worry I have made some shitty writing mistakes and the committee will call off the signing due to bad writing. UGH. I don't know about how to get them too all agree!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:56 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

3 weeks of my DVM program left. Starting my last rotation in ophthalmology tomorrow. Don't have a job lined up yet, even though a large number of my classmates do, which makes me feel pretty disappointed, but I have 3 interviews set up in 2 weeks. Hopefully, once I've graduated and have time to travel for job interviews things will come easier and with less stress.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:10 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Ok, Well, I don't know about doing more edits now. I read through it. I did not make 100% of the changes, and I just can't. I hope he understands and was just trying to be pressurey to get results or something.

I can't find a good article to quote for one of the places they want me to put in a quote. I have tried like 3 articles there and none of them seem like a good fit, and I looked at like 20 articles earlier and none did there either.

Oh wow Camu, 3 weeks! You will find something!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:20 am 
Married to the wolfman

My thesis is due to my advisor tomorrow morning. Guess who is running experiments right now, including re-running some where my data files got all messed up? Yeeeeeah.

Everything else is written though. Really everything.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:48 am 
Married to the wolfman

My report isn't done and one of my group members in one of the classes I'm taking emailed me to remind me that code for that class is due tomorrow, which I am the lead on and which I haven't started. So that's great.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:05 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

THEY SIGNED IT! HOLY crepe!

How are you turning your thesis in while still running tests???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:06 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:23 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lycophyte wrote:
THEY SIGNED IT! HOLY crepe!

How are you turning your thesis in while still running tests???
YES! Congratulations!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 64  Next