| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

Glad your first year panel review went well!

I just had my committee meeting (maybe equivalent?) and it went pretty okay. There were some valid criticisms, but overall folks think I'm doing okay. I need to publish a paper, though. Soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm halfway through my thesis edits. WOOOOO! And really the worst is over-- I've done my first 5 chapters + my bibliography (which needed a lot of annoying tweaking) so all I have left now is one more really content heavy chapter, then future work (where the edit is pretty much just add more ideas), the conclusion (don't think there's much of anything to edit there), and an appendix (again, no big edits).

Still running experiments though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I have been banging away at my dissertation prospectus for so long that my brain is ready to fall out. Also: I may well have produced 30 pages of solid, impenetrable gobbledygook. Yay me.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

is it just me or is the following a REALLY unprofessional way to apologize to a whole group for making a mistake in protocol? :
(under spoiler because it's long, names and specific names of buildings removed for google-issues, parts where it made me super uncomfortable bolded)

Spoiler: show
Addressed to 25 students in the class:

It seems that I must apologize for an error in judgement last night.

[dean of school] contacted me today to tell me that he was very upset that I brought the course evaluations to the registrar's office. This tells me that some of you or all of you were upset by this fact. I am so sorry.

I really wasn't thinking. I have very few courses after hours and I just assumed that I should bring the forms to [building where the forms go]. I didn't even think about it. As [dean] mentioned, the forms are not explicit in this regard, but the truth is, I should have understood the conflict of interest. It is my fault.

[student in my class, mentioned here by name] even stopped by to ask if she could deliver the forms. I was in a meeting with [other student, known to be a pain in the asparagus] and in the haste of the moment, I thought that she was making an offer to help out and not that she was expressing concern over my holding the forms.

This job means so much to me because I love teaching. I do my very best to do my very best and always want the very best for you guys even if you might think that I could do better. I hope at the least that you see that I am an honest person.

I am so deeply upset that I gave any person any cause for concern. I accept full responsibility for a stupid decision and assure you all that it will never happen again. I dearly hope that you will trust that this was an error of judgement and not an effort to infringe on your rights.

Please forgive me. I am so sorry if I caused you concern. I am upset with no one but myself.

With deep regret and understanding
Sincerely
[professor]

this is weird, right? like, he has been teaching for 20+years and should be able to send a professional apology e-mail IMO. it is possible it just made me mad because he is an AWFUL teacher. agh.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Welp I'm now 4 hours out from the deadline for the report that goes with the implementation of this simulation that isn't done yet. After working on it all day yesterday and all day today (literally since 8 a.m.), I'm still not there yet and not confident I'll be close enough to done by 10 (report due at 11; I will need at least an hour to slap that thing together) to do the writing.

I've emailed the group to let them know that I think we should ask the professor for an extension. I don't know what else to do. On the one hand, I suck. (On the other hand, I'm in a group with 3 other people, only one of whom even OFFERED to help with this code, and all of whom just blindly trusted me to be able to get it done on time so... ?) (I still suck.)

Okay okay back to writing code. God my brain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Whoa. I'm back from a conference trip on which I managed to get off the train at the wrong stop, consequently miss half the keynote, and then realize I'd lost the first page of my paper in the process - and still they tell me I aced it. what the fizzle? At least I had tons of fun as well (and a lot of beer with the awesome organisers & other delegates). :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:51 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Phoenix wrote:
Whoa. I'm back from a conference trip on which I managed to get off the train at the wrong stop, consequently miss half the keynote, and then realize I'd lost the first page of my paper in the process - and still they tell me I aced it. what the fizzle? At least I had tons of fun as well (and a lot of beer with the awesome organisers & other delegates). :D
That's because you clearly have The Necessary Skills!

Emboldened by my recent acceptance (and eager to procrastinate on my dissertation prospectus), I submitted an article to an important early modern journal last Monday, and got a revise and resubmit today. They want some pretty substantial revisions, but if I can turn it around in 6 weeks (yikes) they'll consider it for the next issue! I'm actually going to be cutting the same piece down to conference length this summer, so I was already planning to be spending a fair bit of attention on it anyway, and my supervisor is Very Pleased, so I'm energized to get the &^%$# prospectus off my desk and go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sounds great, Desdemona! All fingers crossed.

And I don't know, I did freak out for a minute or two when I realized that my first page was gone - during the talk that preceded mine - but then I thought, I can't just freak out & despair, these people will want to hear a paper. Now what can I remember from my intro? & I took a couple notes on the back of my printout & went out there & told them I'm going to have to improvise for a bit. I got a laugh from the audience & after a couple of minutes I realized I could safely continue on page 2 and that was it. In retrospect it sounds really courageous, but I was basically just trying to not give up. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Phoenix wrote:
And I don't know, I did freak out for a minute or two when I realized that my first page was gone - during the talk that preceded mine - but then I thought, I can't just freak out & despair, these people will want to hear a paper. Now what can I remember from my intro? & I took a couple notes on the back of my printout & went out there & told them I'm going to have to improvise for a bit. I got a laugh from the audience & after a couple of minutes I realized I could safely continue on page 2 and that was it. In retrospect it sounds really courageous, but I was basically just trying to not give up. ;D
As this enterprise progresses, I increasingly think that "not giving up" is the main objective!

Full prospectus draft (24 pages, plus ginormous bibliography-in-progress) sent. Prayers, good vibes, and vegetable sacrifices will be happily accepted and much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm currently sacrificing a whole batch of Chicky Tuna (from Isa Does It) for your good fortune! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Still waiting to hear on whether I've been accepted for summer term. Applications were reviewed last week & term starts May 19th. I want to get the ball rolling on financial aid & lack of response is making me nervous :/.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck SD! And dang Phoenix, way to keep your cool!

I just took the last written exam I am ever going to take??? And I'm like 20 minutes of paper editing away from officially being 50% done with grad school???!!!!!!!!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'M IN!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Congrats SD!

I presented a poster for my thesis at a poster session today. It went well. Every professor who looked at it was like "you should do a phd!!!" And I was like ha ha ha shoot me now.

Oh, I have to rerun a shiitake ton of my experiments. My report is due to my committee Monday. Happy Friday!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:40 pm 
Chip Strong

I reckon there should be a prize for successfully remaining calm when the laptop with everything on it you haven't backed up since Christmas suddenly stops working for no apparent reason. Luckily I do email most important documents to myself regularly, but I'm really hoping they can fix it at the repair shop tomorrow. I really can't afford to lose so much stuff I've done for my thesis over the last 3 years!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:57 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Imogen wrote:
I reckon there should be a prize for successfully remaining calm when the laptop with everything on it you haven't backed up since Christmas suddenly stops working for no apparent reason. Luckily I do email most important documents to myself regularly, but I'm really hoping they can fix it at the repair shop tomorrow. I really can't afford to lose so much stuff I've done for my thesis over the last 3 years!
That is one of my recurring nightmares. Fingers crossed the wizarding folk can fix it (and henceforth: BACK STUFF UP)!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:00 pm 
Chip Strong

Desdemona wrote:
That is one of my recurring nightmares. Fingers crossed the wizarding folk can fix it (and henceforth: BACK STUFF UP)!

Yes x 1000000! What's even more ridiculous is that I had a similar thing happen during my master's degree. I now intend to stick reminders up on my desk to back up regularly.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:32 pm 
Cranky

Imogen wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Yes x 1000000! What's even more ridiculous is that I had a similar thing happen during my master's degree. I now intend to stick reminders up on my desk to back up regularly.

Use DropBox! You can set it up to automatically sync with more than one device, and when you save it will automatically update on everything.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:34 pm 
Chip Strong

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Use DropBox! You can set it up to automatically sync with more than one device, and when you save it will automatically update on everything.

What's the security on DropBox like? I deal with quite a bit of confidential interview material.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was going to suggest dropbox as well. Or a backup hard drive. I don't know anything about their security.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:30 pm 
Cranky

If security is an issue, I've heard that Box is better than DropBox, but that's a determination you'll need to make for yourself.

Here's what db has to say about security.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:35 pm 
Chip Strong

Thanks, I'll look into it as soon as I've got my laptop back online.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My advisor gave me the thumbs up to send my thesis on to my committee and schedule my defense. HOLY shiitake. I'm trying to get it on the 19th or as I like to call it, two weeks from today. Hyperventilation time!

He had positive things to say about my report and thinks we can squeeze at least two papers out of it, which is pretty exciting too.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:48 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Good luck Imogen in getting that thing back up and running! OMG good luck C&S! Get it!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:12 am 
Chip Strong

I've managed to start the laptop in safe mode and so am currently working on backing up my documents and photos before attempting to fix it. The fact that I've been able to access my documents at all is a huge relief!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next