| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks, C& S, and congrats to you, too!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:04 am 
WRETCHED

Camuscando, your job is in the NE, isn't it? Or did that change? are you actually moving to the SW?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Ha! I just received my co-author's first pass at our paper. She "helpfully" retitled the draft to "Actual title: This is NOT the most boring result you have published, Famous-journal-with-a-tendency-of-publishing-boring-results". That improves our chances of an accepted without revisions decision letter, right?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats to everyone! Lots of good news lately in this thread! High fives all around.

I start my internship Monday. I feel stressed about how to do that and get the rest of my thesis work done, but at least it's progress. Onward!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Good Luck Coroupita! Let us know how it goes!

I seriously, seriously dislike my Nursing Informatics course. I am not inspired by it at all, and I find myself putting off studying and work that needs to be done because I dislike it so much. It's a required core course, so I can't get out of it. I just don't know how to make it more bearable. I have been out of school for over 15 years and everyone else in this course (it seems) graduated from undergrad last week. I feel a huge disconnect with my peers and am really struggling to process/interpret what we're learning. And I don't consider myself stupid, just very long removed from school.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Good luck with your first day at your internship couroupita!

Just as I'm (hopefully; I still don't know because my grades still aren't posted! argh!) exiting grad school, one of my little brothers is entering it. It's the ciiiircle of life.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:05 pm 
WRETCHED

Aww! Good luck on your transition C&S!

I started class last week and it is interesting. Lots of work with little direction, I just hope I don't head in the wrong direction.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

SD, I've heard that a lot from students who have been out of school for a while. Can you try to get into a study group or something to feel more connected? One of my best friends in college was in her mid-30s and she was really involved with all her classmates, which seemed to help a lot!

Linanil, what classes are you taking?

I asked my supervisor for some reading to do this week so I could hit the ground running and she sent me a few papers. I'm soooo happy I asked! I'm a little rusty on some of the chemistry and this will give me time to refresh. I want to make a good impression my first week and come up with good ideas!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:45 am 
WRETCHED

Couroupita, I'm taking Computer Networks which is a bit of a cheat because it is one of the subjects I'm very familiar with. I am learning stuff and I can say that between when I was in undergrad (16+years ago...) and now it is amazing to see what tools are available that weren't when I was in undergrad.

SD, I know it is tough to get back into it, but you'll get the hang of it. Are there office hours? I'm taking an online program as well and they have virtual office hours a few times per week with the TAs.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:26 am 

Thanks all. We don't have TA's, & it's online so I can't really join a study group. I talked to a coworker of mine about the class yesterday (she's in my program ahead of me & had already taken the class) and I just have to power through. I just need to remember how happy I was to get accepted to grad school and how much I want this degree. My wheels are a bit rusty - it's about time I got them moving.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:39 am 
WRETCHED

Have you tried asking questions on an online forum like allnurses.com?

My class is a bit different but we have a google plus community set up and someone set up an irc-like chat group that we can use as a study group. We are a bunch of computer nerds though so you kind of expect that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 am 
Flounceiad 2011

ScooterDiva wrote:
Thanks all. We don't have TA's, & it's online so I can't really join a study group. I talked to a coworker of mine about the class yesterday (she's in my program ahead of me & had already taken the class) and I just have to power through. I just need to remember how happy I was to get accepted to grad school and how much I want this degree. My wheels are a bit rusty - it's about time I got them moving.
Yes,and you can and will get them moving! When I was applying to PhD programs I told my partner that if I got in, and later started complaining about it, I wanted him to remind me of how much I wanted this, and how hard I'd worked to get as far as I had. And of course there have been times when you'll feel overworked and overwhelmed, or filled with self-doubt, or in the midst of an existential crisis, but remember to stay in touch with why you wanted to do this in the first place, and be sure to pat yourself on the back for what you've already accomplished. Just getting accepted is a huge achievement!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:36 am 
WRETCHED

I had a dream the other day that I was getting a Ph.D in Biology for some reason and it was a pretty stressful dream. I am not a Ph.D. type in the least so it isn't even a thought.

I can tell some of my fellow students are feeling stressed out and struggling even though our community so far is pretty helpful. Since the class I'm taking is a subject I'm familiar with, I've decided to prep for my class next semester which I've been told is a lot of work. I didn't mention it but all the students admitted are conditionally admitted. I need to get a B or better in my first 2 classes or I'm out. I don't think it will be a problem but I have to make sure it happens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:45 pm 

Thanks all. I now have the opportunity to skip my masters & go from post-bacc right into their doctorate program. I'm so torn. I think eventually having a doctorate will be a requirement for my profession, but I don't know that I have the discipline to spend the next 5 years in school. And I have to decide by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:09 pm 
WRETCHED

Since the career path for a doctorate in nursing isn't necessarily teaching, I'd do it. I've always said that time passes no matter what but if you think you wouldn't regret it, you could just stay in your program.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I passed both my classes (B+! Which is astounding considering I left half of the final in one of them totally blank, yes really) so unless graduate studies for some reason DQs me, I'm really going to graduate.

My advisor sent me an email pretty much saying, you should really think about going back into a phd program. Which is like, jeez. What a nice thing for someone to say to you, but I also really really can't derail my life for that again.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:19 am 

Grad stuff is still painfully slow because of my brain. I'm able to give co-authors written advice on papers they're writing for us. Supervisors are doing most of the tech analysis for one major project (equally grateful and embarrassed about that; also unsure since it will mean my co-promotor becomes author #2 and .... that might be difficult for other reasons). And I just got the ok from everyone to continue with my meta-study/methods chapter for the summer since that's what I'm able to do. It sucks to have to cut back on all the plans (seriously brain?) but I'm happy they're understanding and picking up/giving slack where they can. In September we have talks for a contract extension, since all PhD theses are written on temporary contracts here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:53 am 

1) NatureBoy got an awesome data visualization trick to work for me!
2) I'm working on a meta study. One of my advisors hates it. HATES it. Today, I got a long email from that prof trying (again) to talk me out of pursuing it while, at the same time, I got an email from another prof (whose work I love) encouraging me to do exactly the meta study of my dreams AND to come give a talk to his lab about it (advisor and second prof don't know each other, at all, afaik). Win?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 am 
WRETCHED

Oh hai!

I am nearly finished with my first class. My last assignment is due Friday and I am 95% done. I just have to finish writing something up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I dreamed I was at a conference, and had forgotten my paper, so I had to either find a place to access my email and print it or borrow a laptop to read it off, but I was already late and didn't know where my session was. I was in a complete panic and saying, "I really need to stop screwing around and step up my game viz. scholarship, professionalization, etc." That's my second academic anxiety dream in a week (the other one was the classic "arriving for the first day of class and realizing you haven't made a syllabus"), and the fall semester is still more than a month away. The funny thing is that I gave a successful conference paper two weeks ago, and my syllabus is already done, but it's clearly time to get busy on that dissertation chapter!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ya'll! just signed up for my 2nd year (and final year) TA training (same as 1st year, new topics!) and I'm so excited for the next year! and if I can find a job teaching anywhere in the whole world after this I will happily move. I love teaching print (and other art things) so much, if I can pull this off and find work in my field I am going to feel like the luckiest human ever, I mean I already do most of the time.
dunno what i'm trying to say other than I am so excited about what I do.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:31 am 

That's awesome boober!

Today I finished a manuscript and sent it to my supervisor. I met my own deadline despite have major headache crashes this month, too. I know there will be lots of revisions before I can send it to the journal (for additional revisions) but I'm still so happy this draft is done, and is temporarily Someone Else's Problem. Bonus: This means I can have a proper anniversary-weekend with NatureBoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

Today makes a week since I moved from Colorado to Tokyo, where I'll be working on my dissertation for the next five months! I'm on a fellowship awarded by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, which I'm still dumbfounded about receiving since this one was a long shot for a literature scholar. Now that the jetlag is wearing off I'm ready to dive back into my writing, which I've taken a break from for a couple of months while teaching an intensive summer course, preparing for travel, and, this week, dealing with the various bureaucratic things required of new residents in Japan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:43 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

chop_socky wrote:
Today makes a week since I moved from Colorado to Tokyo, where I'll be working on my dissertation for the next five months! I'm on a fellowship awarded by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, which I'm still dumbfounded about receiving since this one was a long shot for a literature scholar. Now that the jetlag is wearing off I'm ready to dive back into my writing, which I've taken a break from for a couple of months while teaching an intensive summer course, preparing for travel, and, this week, dealing with the various bureaucratic things required of new residents in Japan.
This is all so exciting! I look forward to hearing about your research, your writing, and everything else you experience while you're there!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:25 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

Desdemona wrote:
This is all so exciting! I look forward to hearing about your research, your writing, and everything else you experience while you're there!

You will hear aaaaalllllllll about it, in case you hadn't figured that out via FB already! No adventures today because I was indoors trying to meet a deadline, but my husband went out to a coffee shop and was glared at by an elderly woman who was mumbling something about him being a "gaijin" (foreigner). Jesse doesn't speak any Japanese and so could only report this much to me. I knew we would be stared at constantly because that's just how it is here (it doesn't help that I'm covered in tattoos), but I will never get used to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next