| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Wow! Congratulations on the start of awesome adventures, chop_socky! I can't wait to hear all about it. When do you meet your dept/hosting profs? I hope they're welcoming and inspiring.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:45 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have 4 weeks and 4 days to complete and submit my coursework. *gulps* No more procrastinating for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

lutin wrote:
Wow! Congratulations on the start of awesome adventures, chop_socky! I can't wait to hear all about it. When do you meet your dept/hosting profs? I hope they're welcoming and inspiring.

Aww, thanks for the kind words, lutin! I met my host professor earlier this week! He actually wasn't supposed to be my affiliate here, but my original host, whose research is closely related to mine, decided to retire earlier this year! So, he hooked me up with my new host, who is a a long-time colleague of his.

Said host doesn't necessarily work in my area of specialization (though his work is cool-- he focuses on the reception of Japanese folklore in China). My dissertation does deal with the supernatural, though, so I'm guessing he'll have some really great insights on that subject, if not necessarily on the other genres I deal with (sci-fi and speculative fiction, which are bit too contemporary for his tastes).

I'm actually feeling okay about his very, very hands-off approach to mentorship, though. Basically, if I hit a stumbling block or want feedback, I should e-mail him or show up for his office hours. Otherwise, I am to "get my work done so I can get on the job market" and "enjoy my time in Japan." Wise words!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ugh. I have a HUGE project to finish drafting in the next few days which means I'm stuck under the computer when I would rather be outside. Why do I always procrastinate so much????

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:58 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Has anyone else heard of this? http://www.falling-walls.com/
It's an "innovative" competition for any grad student below the age of 35. I'd love to be at the falling walls conference, and I'd also love to have ideas for how to turn training in my field (cognitive science/nonverbal communication) into something practical/awesome that the rest of the world could benefit from. But man, I have no ideas! All the stuff I can imagine involves training in pretty much anything but the training I have.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

2 weeks to deadline. I must be starting to get stressed because I have a few more spots on my face.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:36 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I just came across a CFP for an edited collection on "Domestic Drama and the State" in early modern England, with an abstract submission deadline of November 1. Since my dissertation topic is literary representations of domestic violence and how they appropriate and manipulate "based on a true story" scandals between the Elizabethan period and the Restoration, this is a great opportunity and a complete no-brainer. It also means I need to get my seriously get my asparagus in gear and get to work on my murderous wives chapter. I've written to the person who's putting the collection together (who did his PhD with one of the scholars I most admire in this field) to indicate my interest in contributing, so with any luck that will be enough to force me to get to work and come up with something.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:09 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm starting to write the major methods chapter/article for my dissertation. When I started (the project in 2011, and this particular task in 2012), there were pretty meaningless discussions about methodologies in the literature. "We annotated stuff, e.g. XYZ, and got a high kappa when we did an inter-rater check, so ... let's talk results!" (paraphrase). Because of this, I had to invent and re-invent a lot of methods, since no published methods with specific=useful infos existed, and was going to use this process to tell the community HEY WE NEED TO HAVE A SERIOUS METHODS DISCUSSION, yo. Except one of my supervisors just sent me a pdf of his giant just-published-in-2013 handbook which has 130 pages of specific methods information, most of which would have been relevant to my project if I'd seen it in 2011/2012. I am trying not to be furious. (Obviously, it's better to know about this now than during the peer-review phase, but damnit man!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:43 am 
WRETCHED

oh no lutin. That sounds like a bit of a nightmare like "hey you could've told me this!".

I'm starting my second semester which I promptly 'forgot' that I'm going to Portland to hang out with ppkers a month after class starts. My program is online but some classes are more work intensive than others. So I'm taking a class that I think I can get away with being on vacation as long as I do _some_ work. This should be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I passed my first course! Only 2 years left...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well done SD!!!

10 days until submission day!!! Assignment work is nearly done. Just mid heavy editing. Should be done tomorrow lunch time. Then I spend the afternoon doing cover pages, contents pages and formatting.

Then from Sunday onwards I will be typing up my reflective journal. I'm so happy that it is nearly done and the fact that I've done 7 months of work in 3 months while having a depression relapse and enduring major work dramas.

I think that means I'm amazing right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:38 pm 
WRETCHED

Good job SD! I am getting an A in my first course, I got a few points knocked off the last assignment but I'm pretty sure I know why... it took every ounce of me to not ask for specifics... I figure if I'm getting an A, I should just take it. And its not something that could affect me later.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:11 am 
Married to the wolfman

Congrats SD! Getting through the first one is key, now you know you can survive the rest.

I received a revise and resubmit on a paper based on my thesis report a couple weeks ago, about which I was bummed. We only got comments from one reviewer (from a journal that usually has a minimum of 3) and it was clear this person just wasn't that into the topic. The reviewer's comments pretty much boiled down to, "this paper is really well written but I don't get why topic A is interesting, you should have written more about topic B"-- where A is the topic we have good results on and B was a hasty idea I tacked on at the end. Frustrating!

My advisor and I talked about it a bit and he decided to resubmit basically with two paragraphs saying this reviewer doesn't get it, our paper is awesome.

And then it got accepted!! Which seems crazy, but what do I know. I'm excited anyway.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hot damn! Great work c&s (plus prof). All the cookies for you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:31 am 
Flounceiad 2011

That's great, C&S! While I was reading the first part of your post I was thinking, "Withdraw it and submit it somewhere else!" (an idea I've only just really embraced), but it sounds like you've got it sorted. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:18 pm 
WRETCHED

Congrats C&S!

Second semester started and I decided to take 2 courses, we'll see if that is a mistake soon enough :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Desdemona wrote:
That's great, C&S! While I was reading the first part of your post I was thinking, "Withdraw it and submit it somewhere else!" (an idea I've only just really embraced), but it sounds like you've got it sorted. Congratulations!

That was our next step!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Congrats CS!

In 72 hours I will be sitting down to my first assignment free evening in months. Starting to get nervous but not panicking yet. Although I haven't heard from my clinical supervisor in weeks and I need her to sign stuff for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Assignment is printing out but the table outlines aren't coming up. Gaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! Soooooo close to being done and it is stupid crepe like this that drive me batty.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Printer is packing it in. I'm going to have to go in to work really early tomorrow to print out the 200 pages. And I'm probably going to have formatting fun to contend with since I have a mac and work have windows.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:34 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Daisychain: If you have a mac, just print it to pdf and print the pdf from work. Formatting problem solved!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I published 3 bibliographies this morning (at academia.edu and researchgate.net) and have already received enthusiastic thanks from more people than I ever received for my articles. Ha!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ah shoot! Didn't see your message until now!

I got it all in. Their online submission thing was missing for me so they let me submit the electronic version via email. Such a relief getting it in. Even though I wasn't too stressed a wall of tiredness hit me once I handed it in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love my internship so much. I hate finishing up my thesis work so much.

My internship was supposed to be 9 months (april-dec) but since I couldn't start till June it's only 6 months. No one knows if they can extend it into 2015 and they don't have the budget to hire a full time employee. I'm bummed and stressed about having to job hunt AGAIN while finishing my thesis work. Plus I love my project. I don't want to leave!!

On the company website they are advertising for a postdoc. I'm not sure if I should bring up that I would like to postdoc for them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

First paper of the year submitted: meta-methods analysis which pokes so many holes in my field's standard practices. I think it's going to be a very strong love it or hate it paper (and I seriously hope the reviewers love it).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next