| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:27 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Congrats Chipmunk!!! That is so wonderful :) What's next for your life?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
smoothie wrote:
you guys are all badass and i can't wait to be done with my adult high school course and start on my bachelors degree! and my masters degree! it will be geekilicious. just one more year..
You! I for one cannot wait to welcome you into the sleep-deprived, lifeless, self-pitying black hole of grad school! (No, seriously - it's awesome. We're not bad people, we just made a terrible life choice!)

oh my goodness . . .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:32 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
We're not bad people, we just made a terrible life choice!)

Sigh. I used to think this funny. I also used to believe in the tooth fairy. Now, I'm just waiting for my execution... or my dissertation defense. Either way, a fitting end to a bunch of terrible life choices.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So, final grades will be rolling in today. So far I have a B. Guessing an A for another and crossing my fingers to have not totally screwed up on the other one. That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So, final grades will be rolling in today. So far I have a B. Guessing an A for another and crossing my fingers to have not totally screwed up on the other one. That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:03 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I wish there was something in-between Master's and PhD. Because I'm almost done with my Master's and I really like school (even though sometimes I hate it SO MUCH). But, I don't feel smart/crazy enough to go for a PhD.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:25 am 
Chard Martyr

bathsheba wrote:
I wish there was something in-between Master's and PhD. Because I'm almost done with my Master's and I really like school (even though sometimes I hate it SO MUCH). But, I don't feel smart/crazy enough to go for a PhD.
You could always just get a second Master's. For kicks. Knowing what I know now, though, I'd skip this second one and go for the PhD.

So yeah, Uni may drive me nuts but at least it keeps me busy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:36 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Meggs wrote:
So yeah, Uni may drive me nuts but at least it keeps me busy.

True that! I just got comments back from supervisor #1 on my first year report.
Now I have to make those edits so I can send it off to supervisor #2.
Luckily, they agreed that after New Years is fine.

As for MA/PhD, etc. - I don't know what programmes your country offers, but an MPhil is usually a step from a typical master's to a Ph.D.
At least in the non-US countries I've lived in, the expectation is either 2 MAs --> PhD or MPhil --> PhD.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Assuredly the dumbest query in this thread: So I just started dating someone who is starting grad school (or whatever you do when you're getting a master's degree -- hopefully this is the right term?) in roughly a month. Though I have zero experience with post-high school education myself, based on what I've read here, I get the sense that this endeavor will be incredibly difficult and emotionally trying for him, and I'd like to help lessen the unpleasantness as much as possible. Oh, and he's also going to be a TA. (I am wholly unfamiliar with this concept and don't know what it involves.)

Do you have any "How to Care for Your Grad Student"-type suggestions, like some stuff you would/have loved if someone did for you while you were slogging through it all? Pep talks, motivational posters, weekend deliveries of homemade soup and bread?

Wished respectively to those who have just finished as well as those who are mired in the thick of it: Congratulations, and/or hang in there! <3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

stephanie wrote:
Do you have any "How to Care for Your Grad Student"-type suggestions, like some stuff you would/have loved if someone did for you while you were slogging through it all? Pep talks, motivational posters, weekend deliveries of homemade soup and bread?

Oh my gosh, homemade soup and bread! That's so nice! I think just being supportive is really important. Like, not getting mad if they have to take up the whole weekend writing a paper. Certainly I wouldn't expect it, but cleaning the house/apartment would be very helpful and stress-relieving.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:07 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

if someone would come do my laundry that would be amazing. But yes, food is helpful!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:49 pm 

kimba wrote:
stephanie wrote:

Oh my gosh, homemade soup and bread! That's so nice! I think just being supportive is really important. Like, not getting mad if they have to take up the whole weekend writing a paper. Certainly I wouldn't expect it, but cleaning the house/apartment would be very helpful and stress-relieving.

This is one lucky dude. I could fill all the tubes in the interwebs with my thoughts on what you could do. And I second the "just being supportive" thing is the best short answer. As long as you're thinking along those lines you're gonna be fine. Some other thoughts...

There'll likely be a lack of free/social/personal time, especially as a TA, so getting creative and being flexible about how you spend your together/social time may be important. It was nice for me when I was in grad school (okay, I still am, and it's still nice) to have someone get all the stuff necessary to cook, but then cook together so we'd at least have that time together. A lot of what makes graduate work hard on personal lives, IMO, is the distance it creates between the student and everyone else in his or her life. Cleaning together or doing errands together may sound trite, but if he's like me and many others in the same situation, just the chance to turn off mentally for a little while brings a moment's joy and an opportunity to just be a BF/GF/person again, so any time you can be part of that it's probably a good thing.

So in short: yeah, doing my cooking, cleaning, and laundry would be great. But not as great as us doing it together.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:58 pm 

bathsheba wrote:

It's not even a matter of how smart you are, it's about how you want to put your smarts to work. A PhD is a research degree. Earning a PhD without the intention of doing research is like doing an MD without the intention of practicing medecine. If you really like school for school, i.e., being in the classroom and learning, don't get a Doctorate of any sort. Get another Masters, or just take individual courses. Unless you really want to do research - or, to a lesser degree, teach at the University level - a PhD is highly unlikely to fill the same space in your heart as the classroom/learning environment did.

One last thing: if you have a DLS - Doctor of Liberal Studies - program near you (one like this) you might find that to be a feasible option.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:08 pm 
Human Gravy

philadelphegan wrote:
bathsheba wrote:

It's not even a matter of how smart you are, it's about how you want to put your smarts to work. A PhD is a research degree. Earning a PhD without the intention of doing research is like doing an MD without the intention of practicing medecine. If you really like school for school, i.e., being in the classroom and learning, don't get a Doctorate of any sort. Get another Masters, or just take individual courses. Unless you really want to do research - or, to a lesser degree, teach at the University level - a PhD is highly unlikely to fill the same space in your heart as the classroom/learning environment did.

One last thing: if you have a DLS - Doctor of Liberal Studies - program near you (one like this) you might find that to be a feasible option.

I have to agree. Most PhD programs don't require constant coursework, and if that's what you long for, you probably won't enjoy doing the dissertation.

Have you thought about working at a college/university so you can be in the environment and get the added perk of taking free classes?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:13 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Someone got her first grade back today. Ahem: not only was it an A, but the prof thinks I should do some revisions and submit it to James Joyce Quarterly...and I'm not even a modernist (like, at all)!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:18 am 

Yay Des!! Congrats!

I got mine back from first semester, 3.95

When is everyone heading back?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:22 am 

stephanie wrote:
Assuredly the dumbest query in this thread: So I just started dating someone who is starting grad school (or whatever you do when you're getting a master's degree -- hopefully this is the right term?) in roughly a month. Though I have zero experience with post-high school education myself, based on what I've read here, I get the sense that this endeavor will be incredibly difficult and emotionally trying for him, and I'd like to help lessen the unpleasantness as much as possible. Oh, and he's also going to be a TA. (I am wholly unfamiliar with this concept and don't know what it involves.)

Wished respectively to those who have just finished as well as those who are mired in the thick of it: Congratulations, and/or hang in there! <3

This is totally not a dumb question, I think its really sweet and sensitive actually. I would like to add to this convo-space. Its hard to manage school and relationships at times, and although my partner and I are both in graduate school now, I do wish that I had given him (and myself) more space to get work done earlier on. But, from the sounds of it, you don't seem like you will have a problem with this. Otherwise? Food, its damn hard to eat properly in grad school (for me at least). My partner is a TA, and it actually seems pretty cool. How is all going by the way, since its been a while since you posted that question?

p.s. I really like your idea about motivational posters… feel free to post them here!! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Allison, not Alison wrote:
philadelphegan wrote:
bathsheba wrote:

I have to agree. Most PhD programs don't require constant coursework, and if that's what you long for, you probably won't enjoy doing the dissertation.

Have you thought about working at a college/university so you can be in the environment and get the added perk of taking free classes?

I have considered taking some time off, working in the museum field, and seeing how I feel. I do very much enjoy the classroom experience, so I think you both offer some really good advice. The program I'm in right now, however, is specifically geared toward public history. If I were to try to go for a PhD at my current school, I would be applying for a joint program in public history and American history, so though it would of course have a research focus, it would be a little bit different than some PhD programs.

Though I have taken many courses with straight history majors, much of my coursework is more focused on putting history to work in a public history setting. I really like my school, and as one of the few master's student TAs I've gotten to see what it's like to work with other PhD students, but like I said, I guess I'm not that confident in my prowess as an academic. Maybe I've let the old public history stereotypes get me down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Did anyone start back up this week? I have some friends that started yesterday. I'm not back until the 16th.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:41 pm 

I haven't gone back, I'm starting the 17th. Do you all have any resolutions for school this year? I'm going to to try to pack lunch 95% of the time!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I start back on the 18th... which seems weird now that I realize it's a Wednesday. The college I teach at (different from the one I am a student at) starts on the 11th, which is also a Wednesday. So who knows...

Anyway! This is my last semester for my 2nd Master's and it's been awesome. I really want to figure out how to do the PhD program at this school but I'm not sure if the class schedule will work for me.

One of my classes this semester will be an independent study - I get to develop a course that I started to create as a project last semester into a real course that will be offered in my grad program. I am so excited!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I got all A's in last semester and I bought no books. Dare I try it again?

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

AutumnLeaves wrote:
I got all A's in last semester and I bought no books. Dare I try it again?

Why the hell not?

But seriously, I didn't buy two out of the three books required for my psych class last semester and I totally aced it. Although I spent a good amount of time in the library.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Bah. I had to turn in my progress report to my thesis advisor today. I realized how little I've accomplished in the last 6 months...and now everyone is asking me when I'm going to graduate. Um...never??? :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:42 am 
Naked Under Apron

couroupita wrote:
Bah. I had to turn in my progress report to my thesis advisor today. I realized how little I've accomplished in the last 6 months...and now everyone is asking me when I'm going to graduate. Um...never??? :(

Yes, you will graduate, and you'll be all awesome and stuff!!!

Writing Praying Vegan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 63  Next