| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thanks everyone! I've had a postdoc lined up for a while and will be starting that in a few weeks, once I've moved house (again).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

I want to go to grad school but my under grad gpa was kinda low, so I'm not sure if I could even get into a decent school. I'm taking a few years to build up my experience (I'm gonna try to get my LBSW here in Missouri) then try for grad school.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:36 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Dissertation writing folks and people who actually finished this process, how the heck did you manage to get anything done? It's such an endless and huge task that it feels daunting to tackle it and so I get a lot less done than I should be getting done. I have some plans to schedule my time, but somehow that's not really coming together yet....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:38 am 
Tofu Pup

grad student her as well. about to start my second semester doing an MA in security studies, which is basically sub field of international relations. time to sacrifice much of my life to constant reading and writing again :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:59 am 
Chard Martyr

Don't want to go back. Classes begin tomorrow but I'm skipping first week. I have to meet with my work placement supervisor to set hours once I get back into town, start my new work schedule, and start attending classes again. Bummer.
Definitely not getting another degree after this one any time soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:48 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thessaly wrote:
Dissertation writing folks and people who actually finished this process, how the heck did you manage to get anything done? It's such an endless and huge task that it feels daunting to tackle it and so I get a lot less done than I should be getting done. I have some plans to schedule my time, but somehow that's not really coming together yet....

Because of how mine was structured: Wrote up individual papers and got them published. No starting new stuff before old stuff was submitted. Wrote intro, discussion, chapter preambles and glued everything together. The last part was a bit dull and only worked because I made myself an artificial deadline by booking a flight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:10 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Chipmunk wrote:
Thessaly wrote:

Because of how mine was structured: Wrote up individual papers and got them published. No starting new stuff before old stuff was submitted. Wrote intro, discussion, chapter preambles and glued everything together. The last part was a bit dull and only worked because I made myself an artificial deadline by booking a flight.

I'm hoping to do three papers as well, but I'm doing qualitative data collection that will probably last through June... so I figure I should start the chapters I need to bookend the papers with... but gaaaah. Maybe I will magically be productive this week since I'm finally getting over my cold.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:52 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thessaly wrote:
I'm hoping to do three papers as well, but I'm doing qualitative data collection that will probably last through June...

I'm in the same proverbial boat, mostly. I have two or three mixed-methodological papers to write (two network analytic and one survey) that are part of a year-long ethnographic project. The three-paper model can still work, I think/hope. I dare say most qual work can be sliced into two or three logical and smaller projects but it isn't clear how to do that until the researcher has generated some preliminary theory; i.e., unlike, say, controlled lab studies, it typically isn't clear what the "natural" divisions are during the initial research design but they can emerge during the data collection and early analysis. That's my approach, and while it sort of depends on the iterative nature of the Grounded Theory approach to collection and analysis, I suspect the basic idea is transferable to any qualitative social science methodology.

Other tips on how to get through the disso-writing phase (which I'm only starting to think about myself, so I haven't tested these... yet) would include (a) having a schedule where you do writing and ONLY do writing, (b) passive-aggressively ignoring the person you're dating until it suits your schedule to get laid, and (c) staring at a blank screen until the beads of nervous sweat that form on your brow become so dense that they fall onto your keyboard at a rate that would resemble writing a dissertation. Again, I haven't tested these... yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:35 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

ah, you're doing grounded theory as well? My condolences! It all makes so much sense on paper and then it's so incredibly messy in reality. But that is what drew me to it, so I suppose I should just suck it up... Me and my bff Kathy Charmaz.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:50 pm 

Thessaly wrote:
ah, you're doing grounded theory as well? My condolences!

Yeah I can't really think of any reason to anything else, and in my field it's an uncontroversial choice. As long as no issues come up when I try to incorporate more systematic ethnographic data and network data, then it's all good.

What field are you in? I study social informatics, aka social science of technology, aka socio-technical systems science.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

philadelphegan wrote:
Thessaly wrote:
ah, you're doing grounded theory as well? My condolences!

Yeah I can't really think of any reason to anything else, and in my field it's an uncontroversial choice. As long as no issues come up when I try to incorporate more systematic ethnographic data and network data, then it's all good.

What field are you in? I study social informatics, aka social science of technology, aka socio-technical systems science.

I'm in public health, so it's fairly standard for my field too. The set steps makes quantitative people feel more comfortable with it I think. Writing my methods chapter and getting into the whole Glaser v. Strauss v. Charmaz thing is going to be a pain in the neck though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:54 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thessaly wrote:

What worked for me was to treat it like a job. I showed up, uh well around 10 am anyway, five days a week and there my asparagus sat for at least 8 hours.

It's really helpful to develop a good outline. Try to get it near the point of how it will look in the final document (not that it will look anything like that in the end, but that's not the point). This really is the road map of the story you're going to tell. You are telling a story, right? Mine was about sediments (it's mostly a bedtime story). But seriously, spend some time developing the outline and then go over it with your advisor and your committee members if you can. The writing is really just filling in the bits in between.

Caffeine helps too. I also discovered espresso near the end.

But also, some days, you're just not going to get anything written. It's okay. It took me a full 6 months to write my dissertation from scratch. Plus another 2 and a move across the country to get it approved.

Remember, also, it doesn't have to be great, just good enough.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:27 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

That's good advice! I'm actually hoping that once my TA spot kicks in next week or so I'll feel more of a time crunch and it'll make more sense to plan. I wish I had an office space to actually go to every morning though! My school is at capacity so office space is close to unheard of for most students.

Outlining sounds good. I'm figuring I'll have about six months to write once data collection is done, and hopefully I'll have portions written during that time. It's crazy how Spring 2013 (when I want to graduate) seems both impossibly far away and right around the corner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:20 pm 

Thessaly wrote:
I'm in public health, so it's fairly standard for my field too. The set steps makes quantitative people feel more comfortable with it I think. Writing my methods chapter and getting into the whole Glaser v. Strauss v. Charmaz thing is going to be a pain in the neck though.

I hadn't heard of Charmaz until now. Thanks for that! Are there any interesting differences between her way of GT versus G&S? My qual-leaning committee members take G&S to be gospel, and I don't see any reason to argue.

As for the "[making] quantitative people feel more comfortable" thing [and having now proofread what I'm about to say, I want to make clear I only bring this up for purposes of shoot the proverbial shiitake; not to accuse you of some crime against methodology!] I kind of have a chip on my shoulder about how this is all polemicized. I think that it's neither necessary nor productive to kowtow to methodological differences. There are limitations to all methods, qual- and quantitative, and as long as the limitations of a given method are respected in a given project's research design and execution, there are no grounds on which to debate methods. In other words, if you use GT-based methods (or regression analysis, actor network theory, and so on ad nauseum) do it well and within its limitations, and leave the broader debates about how the world should be studied to the philosophers.

Woah... sorry about that... once I start on my soapbox it's hard to jump off. But hey, this *is* the Assembly of Graduate Student PPKers, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:39 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

haha, no I agree 100%, but my school is quant heavy and dominated and if you want to use qual you pretty much have to constantly be defending your choices. The first thing we were told in our qual methods class is to be prepared for that and that grounded theory can give you the leeway to do the research you want without the stats people harping on at you about lacking reliability/generalizability.

Charmaz comes from a social constructivist standpoint rather than a positivist one. So she's arguing that the researcher is key to shaping to the findings rather than that through grounded theory you can find some sort of objective truth just waiting to be discovered. She also has a slightly different terminology for the steps (initial coding/selective coding/theoretical or axial coding) that I find more intuitive. This piece is more dense than it needs to be but sort of gets into it http://www.ualberta.ca/~iiqm/backissues ... /MILLS.PDF The GT people at my school favor Charmaz for whatever reason, I think with the argument that pure positivism is an old way of thinking. But I'm sure there are ample debates to be had about that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:06 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

hurdur, the second step is focused coding not selective coding. No one cares, but this will bother me if I don't fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:24 pm 

Thessaly wrote:
haha, no I agree 100%, but my school is quant heavy and dominated and if you want to use qual you pretty much have to constantly be defending your choices.

Yeah I know what you mean. I guess I'm lucky in that area: there is a divide in my somewhat interdisciplinary school, but the two sides are constituted by such different domains with such different data and different goals that they simply cannot share methods and thus do not have much to argue about; e.g., data mining researchers making better algorithms and human-computer interaction faculty members are rarely going to argue methods.

Anyway, I just read a little Charmaz and already I see what you mean - the language of the method is simpler and much more accessible. Thanks again. Jeez. I have learned more from you than I have from any of my real student-colleagues. That's sad, huh?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:03 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

philadelphegan wrote:
Anyway, I just read a little Charmaz and already I see what you mean - the language of the method is simpler and much more accessible. Thanks again. Jeez. I have learned more from you than I have from any of my real student-colleagues. That's sad, huh?

hah, just a touch sad. I'm the only one among my school friends doing GT, so mainly I just get quizzical looks when I talk about it. But that's why we have the ppk!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yay, fellow sufferers!

I'm currently doing a Masters in Political History, specializing in the workings of democracy, civil society and direct democracy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:44 am 
Chard Martyr

So stoked to read more about grounded theory. Probably using it for my data analysis.
I obviously haven't done much lit review on it (or anything!) yet, but glad PPKers have experience with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thessaly wrote:

First off, here's your grain of salt: I'm not even writing a thesis, much less a dissertation, so I'm giving second hand advice here. My research methods professor suggested that students who have difficulty staying on task attempt to present at various conferences. Her reasoning was that if you have that deadline once or twice a semester you can line up your presentations with where you need to be on your dissertation because there's no way you're going to present without preparation. Plus, you get the opportunity to get way more feedback than you would have otherwise and gain valuable experience too.

For psychology there are several student-oriented conferences that are low pressure, making them good to present basic background info in the early stages and you can build up to more serious venues as your work progresses. I'm assuming other areas of study have something similar.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:36 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm a grad student too! I'm getting my masters in international affairs. I spent the summer interning on an environmental clean-up project in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was amazing. This semester I'm doing a group project for an environmental non-profit and interning at a human rights organization while taking classes. Super busy!

This is my final semester and I am terrified of graduating and having to find a real job. Should I go for my Phd?! Or try to find a job and make money? Such a hard decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 am 

Hi all,

Just checking in! How are the first few weeks going (after break?)

I wanted to post here that I got accepted to a national conference thing to give a two hour presentation!!! Other than that I got an interview at a fancy schmany psych ward, hopefully to extern at next year!

Welcome blackheartrose (that is the cutest puppy in your small picture).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:11 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

P-J wrote:
I wanted to post here that I got accepted to a national conference thing to give a two hour presentation!!! Other than that I got an interview at a fancy schmany psych ward, hopefully to extern at next year!

Welcome blackheartrose (that is the cutest puppy in your small picture).

Thanks! That is my favorite picture of her. She makes me happier than anything else in the world, basically. She just turned 4. I'm such a proud puppy parent.

Congrats on being accepted to a national conference and getting an interview! Giving a two hour presentation would frighten me to no end. I have to give a 30-45 minute presentation on my group project and then defend everything we've done to a panel of professors at the end of this semester. I'm terrified just thinking about it. My advice is to practice, practice, practice in front of anyone who will listen. Good luck on both the presentation and the interview! Let us know how they go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:41 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I just got a program called RescueTime to track all the time I spent at my computer.. We'll see if it helps with the productivity issues!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 62  Next