| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yay, starrynight87!

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Remember how before I was like, I don't have much left to do! I'm in a good place on everything!

Somehow I am IMPOSSIBLY BEHIND ON EVERYTHING again. Tomorrow night I am going to pull an all nighter and try to get back on track. It's the only way. I am on the verge of a complete meltdown but I need to keep it together a little bit longer.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Sorry, hit submit before I was done writing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

boring story even more boring, my schedule for next semester is all forked up and my advisor pretty much told me "sucks to be you, doesn't sound like you're going to graduate in time."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeeks! Not helpful.

Can you contact the wait list class prof and beg? They can usually circumvent the wait list if they feel like it. I've also had luck going to the first class and getting a force add form signed there.

Worst case scenario: if you don't graduate on time, can you use the extra time to add a minor or something else to add to your skill set?

Oh--also: see if anyone else in the deans office or wherever can advocate for you to do substitutions or whatever to graduate on time. Colleges hate having people not graduate on time because it shows up in their statistics. They do actually have some incentive to help!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:55 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I am applying to grad school this year and I'm really struggling with my letter of intent. What did people write in theirs? How did they format it? How the hell do I convey how excited I am about this program into 500 words? How do I say "I have no real idea what my career will be" without sounding like I shouldn't be there? AH!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:53 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

j-dub wrote:
I am applying to grad school this year and I'm really struggling with my letter of intent. What did people write in theirs? How did they format it? How the hell do I convey how excited I am about this program into 500 words? How do I say "I have no real idea what my career will be" without sounding like I shouldn't be there? AH!

I made mine really, really honest. I basically just free wrote about four pages and then edited, edited, edited, edited. And edited. But 500 words is crazy! Mine was at least 1000. If you need a set of eyes/help editing you know where to find me!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:56 am 
Inflexitarian

j-dub wrote:

Instead of saying you can no idea what your career will be, could you sketch out a few different ways you're considering using the degree?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

quark wrote:
j-dub wrote:

Instead of saying you can no idea what your career will be, could you sketch out a few different ways you're considering using the degree?

You can talk about how excited you are to get into a field in which there are so many opportunities to do whatever it is you're doing. When I wrote mine for nutrition I talked about all the different ways I'd be excited to use my degree and how excited I was to learn more about the field and find even more ways to help people.

I think mine was longer than 500 words, but I basically just wrote about my history: why i want to get into the field, what has got me up to this point, why i took so much time off after my bachelors. then talked about what I like/want to do in the field and then specifics about what I liked about the school's individual program and why i thought it would be a good fit for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I need more things to do. There is one number 1 super important thing that has to happen, but I'm dependent on my supervisor having time about once a week to help Make It So™. Awesome, but lame. Not sure how to fill the rest of my time, and I feel like I'm loosing at grad school right now because of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:17 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi all you people.

I have been following this forum for some time and it has helped a lot. Down here in Australia, perhaps some things run a little differently to USA, Canada etc. But then again . . . amazing how so many other things . . . Just the same! Thanks for being out there . . . Keep it coming.

PS - still getting avatar and signature on board.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:10 am 
Inflexitarian

Anybody have any experience with caring for a cat while in grad school? A friend has a cat who needs a home and I would love to give it one but I spend a lot of time at my office and I'm worried about providing insufficient love and affection.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:03 pm 
Inflexitarian

Honestly, most cats are loners who sleep all day. If you're there for a few hours a day to provide food, clean the litterbox, and give some cuddles, the cat will be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:49 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So many deadlines falling like knives. Oy vey. The good thing is it's almost over... two major deliverables Tuesday, then one more on Thursday, then one more next Tuesday. I pulled an all-nighter on Wednesday to get caught up, worked a few hours yesterday, will work a few hours tonight... I'm hoping to get enough done that I can take tomorrow off entirely yet not have to pull another all-nighter on Monday. We'll see.

On a positive note, if the class I need to graduate on time runs a Tuesday schedule... then I think my schedule is settled. Weird but settled. If it doesn't run? Then I will have to go to campus 3 days a week (and hope to get into the currently closed section on Mondays) and it's just out of my hands now. As long as I get into that class one way or another, things will work out.

re: cats: I would do it! Most cats don't mind being alone, like quark said, and personally grad school turns up my need for furry lovable creatures in my life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Cat: yes. My cats got me thru grad school!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:23 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I need some advice!

I'm in the middle of a group project that I have been excluded from. The group members have had virtual meet-ups at times I specifically said I could not make, where they assigned portions of the group project without permission from myself and another person. I was pissed, but not as angry as I should have been because I was happy with my shared assignment (though not my partner). Now he's submitted to the group our portion of the project without even bothering to consult me.

My question is, do I e-mail the professor about what's been happening or do I keep my mouth shut? I've already e-mailed my partner and told him that I expect to be allowed to do my fair share of the project. I don't plan on being quiet about the exclusion; however I don't want that exclusion to bring down my grade, because he is just the kind of crasshole to be a martyr about doing ALL the work by himself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ok, so I have 10 internship days left. because its been so rough, I'd like to do something to treat myself at the end of each of these days. What is something cheap and simple that I could do to treat myself?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

How about an advent calendar kind of deal: small things escalating to something really cool. Like start with a treat like a special chocolate bar or cup of chai and end with a manicure or something pampering, or a new outfit, or whatever makes you happy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

catintheattic wrote:
I need some advice!

I'm in the middle of a group project that I have been excluded from. The group members have had virtual meet-ups at times I specifically said I could not make, where they assigned portions of the group project without permission from myself and another person. I was pissed, but not as angry as I should have been because I was happy with my shared assignment (though not my partner). Now he's submitted to the group our portion of the project without even bothering to consult me.

My question is, do I e-mail the professor about what's been happening or do I keep my mouth shut? I've already e-mailed my partner and told him that I expect to be allowed to do my fair share of the project. I don't plan on being quiet about the exclusion; however I don't want that exclusion to bring down my grade, because he is just the kind of crasshole to be a martyr about doing ALL the work by himself.

You should probably discuss it with your partner first to figure out why he submitted it without you. Then from there talk to the professor. Just be careful because I think the instinct of some professors would be to think that you had slacked off and were trying to make up for it (this is why you need to know what your partner is going to say! If he does want to throw you under the bus you need to be really mindful about what you say).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

(gulp) okay, everything but my portfolio is in (waiting on some pictures) already nervous. ugh.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thessaly wrote:
(this is why you need to know what your partner is going to say! If he does want to throw you under the bus you need to be really mindful about what you say).

This. Do you have any of your discussions documented? Or even emails which you sent and he never replied to?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:39 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm pretty impressed that for the past two months I've managed to avoid making final revisions (I hope they're final revisions!) to my manuscript. Bad Editor for not giving me a deadline. Bad self for not getting to them immediately. Etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:56 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So one of my sets of deliverables tomorrow-- a 20-some page paper and accompanying powerpoint presentation-- culminates in a presentation in front of the class. There are 2 days of presentations. Tomorrow is the first day. The professor FINALLY sent out the schedule for the presentations just now.

I have been hoping against hope that my group would be on the second day, because I have a fork ton of stuff left to do tonight (editing the whole paper for grammar, a non-trivial task in this group, as well as writing another multi-page paper that I've barely started (because it's forking extra credit but the shouting man will take 5% off my grade if I don't do it)) and I was hoping to not have to cram rehearsing for a presentation where half the slides I'm presenting were written by someone else and I need to deliver way too much content in 10 minutes in with everything else tonight.

So naturally, not only is my group presenting on the first day, tomorrow, we are presenting FIRST on the first day. Yaaaaay.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am going to get the hell off the PPK forums, make a cup of coffee, bite the bullet and FINISH MY WORK. Dammit!

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:19 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I feel less bad about thinking these ms. revisions are so terrible: I just heard through the grapevine that this editor Has Very Particular Ideas (ie, his way or the highway, etc.).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 64  Next