| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

coldandsleepy wrote:
So naturally, not only is my group presenting on the first day, tomorrow, we are presenting FIRST on the first day. Yaaaaay.

I know I bitched about it at the time, but it was actually a relief to go first and get it done with.

Another class, another presentation today... we're slated to go first again. What is up with that? Thursday is my long day away from my kids though (they leave for preschool at 8:30 am, I get home from campus sometime between 10 and 11 depending on which bus I get) so going first is good because I'll be able to slip out during the last presentation and get the earlier bus home if I need to.

After this presentation, I'll be halfway through the major end of term deliverables... 2 major papers turned in, 2 presentations given. I will just have 1 paper left to finish (working on right after this) and then 3 exams and then I'll be freeeeeeeeeeeeeee for an entire month.

My schedule for next semester is still not settled though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:26 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Ok so I've like EVER posted in this thread, but I've been in grad school for like 5 years because I've mostly been working the last few. I need to be showing real progress but I'm a mess of anxiety about statistics. Or how to start after I finished data collection. Shiiiiit.

Freak out!

(I'm in biology, with an ecology focus)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Six more projects, and I am done with this chapter of gradschool.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm just stopping by to say fork! fork! fork!

okay, that is all. Two group projects, each with a non-contributing person. Both are becoming forking train wrecks and I'm beyond stressed. Which is awesome, because when I get super stressed I start exhibiting ADD or OCD type behaviors...and my brain chose ADD this time. I can't focus on anything long enough to complete a thought. Yaaaaaay!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

bekki wrote:
I'm just stopping by to say fork! fork! fork!

okay, that is all. Two group projects, each with a non-contributing person. Both are becoming forking train wrecks and I'm beyond stressed. Which is awesome, because when I get super stressed I start exhibiting ADD or OCD type behaviors...and my brain chose ADD this time. I can't focus on anything long enough to complete a thought. Yaaaaaay!

I'm almost done my third of three group projects for the semester! This group hasn't had any drama or anyone not doing work in it yet. YET. And the paper's pretty much done except for compiling and final edits. I am wondering what can go wrong between now and Tueday.

Good luck bekki! And everyone else wrapping up end of semester crepe.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've just read a paper that would be really useful if it weren't so flawed. The writer makes claims that I would describe as interesting but probably wishful thinking, and not nearly as revolutionary or new as it is suggested. And, more crucially, he only appears to have researched half his argument. He's making moderately sensible claims about language change in a period of history, and the only history book he's cited is about a different era, and he just says "this probably happened", which is very lazy and does not lend him a great deal of credibility. Which is a shame, because his points are interesting and have a touch of validity in them. I think he's wrong, but he's the interesting kind of wrong where you know exactly what someone means, but they have come to that conclusion because they got carried away with an idea. When you hear hoof-beats - think horse, not unicorn.

Still, I might use it as something to have a counter-argument to.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:03 pm 
Inflexitarian

Uuuuugh, I am not even done rereading the primary text for my paper that's due on the 13th, and I'm supposed to meet with dozens of students in the next week about *their* papers... please just be Christmas already.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy wrote:
I'm almost done my third of three group projects for the semester! This group hasn't had any drama or anyone not doing work in it yet. YET. And the paper's pretty much done except for compiling and final edits. I am wondering what can go wrong between now and Tueday.

Good luck bekki! And everyone else wrapping up end of semester crepe.

Thanks! On the plus side I just realized that my emotional crash was more related to my messing up my birth control than it was being upset with school. Don't get me wrong, the projects still suck, but it is comforting to realize it was my hormones forking with me, not that I wanted to chop my finger off because I have to type up a few extra pages and do some other extra work. Of course, now I"m further behind, too, but whatever.

Anyway, I'm sure things will continue to go smoothly for you. Good luck to everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

One project down, 5 to go!!

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:05 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Man. I should have known better than to try to contribute to a paper about Dutch semantics. (I understand a bit of Dutch. Understanding is NOT the same as having the kind of nuanced insights this paper needs.) Sigh. At least the difficult manuscript revisions are done - I hope the ed. accepts it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Nothing left but exams. One of them is a take home exam which I'm trying to tackle today. The class could have had a nice straightforward in class exam but OPTED for a take home. Whyyyyyyyy? I find take home exams so incredibly miserable to slog through.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

One project and 2 exams, and I am done. I don't feel like doing any of it.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'M FREE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

starrynight87 wrote:
I'M FREE!!!!

Yay!!!

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just submitted my case studies!!! That was one of my final exams. One more project one and one final exam left. I can see the light of freedom. Sweet freedom.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:15 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

AutumnLeaves wrote:
I just submitted my case studies!!! That was one of my final exams. One more project one and one final exam left. I can see the light of freedom. Sweet freedom.
Go, you!

My last two seminar papers ever (?!) are due this coming Friday, which on the one hand is sort of surreal...on the other I just wish it was already a week from now. I hope to finish the first one (15-20 pages) tomorrow, so I can start working on the second (20 +/- pages). I veer wildly between "I've totally got this" and "I have no original ideas and absolutely nothing of interest to say." I think I'd expected to feel a bit wistful about coming to the end of coursework, but at this point I am so ready to move on to the next thing - even though the next thing is reading/studying for my (GULP) oral exams. Before that, though, I am looking forward to giving myself a mini-break over the holidays to cook, bake, eat, and drink things and catch up with some of the people I've been blowing off since the semester began. So please send insightful, prosey thoughts so I can put these babies to bed and get some rest!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Evvvverything is due Tuesday or Wednesday and I'm going kind of crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Final papers are due in almost every class this week AND I'm defending my master's thesis on Thursday. I've been having nightmares in which I find typos in my thesis document, realize that I've run the wrong stats, or find out I interpreted my findings wrong... Just.Want.This.Week.To.Be.OVER!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 pm 
Naked Under Apron

You can do it!!!

I had to resubmit some work that I thought was finished!!! Big migraine is not helping.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I have to turn in a takehome exam for the shouting man's class tomorrow. I've been 95% done since Thursday (which is good because I then got the flu and was totally out of commission Friday through yesterday) but the last 5% is killing me. It's a question almost identical to one on an assignment he gave us and (an identical) one on our midterm. We went over this type of problem about a billion times in class.

But. The question asks for one piece of information that he has NEVER asked for before. I can't find any reference to what he means on his website. It's not in any of his examples. And since all of this comes from his own research, ho ho ho, there's no other reference that contains this thing either. His policy is that things need to be 100% complete or he gives you a zero, so I can't leave this blank. But I'm having trouble legitimately answering it because I haven't got the slightest forking idea what he wants as a response.

I should bull shiitake it I guess but it's hard to know how to bull shiitake something when you don't even know what the format of the answer is supposed to be.

I have an exam Thursday I haven't even started studying for. My plan had been to finish this exam by mid-day Friday so I could focus on studying for Thursdays and then I got sick and uggggggggh why am I procrastinating on the internet.

ETA: and of course the sane thing would be to email him, but he doesn't answer questions about "technical" things (see: anything) and he doesn't have any in-person office hours before it's due.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 am 
Married to the wolfman

coldandsleepy wrote:
I have to turn in a takehome exam for the shouting man's class tomorrow. (whine)

You're going to think I'm joking, but somehow, some way, venting about it here made me finally able to BS that part and finish the exam. Woooooooo!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 am 
Inflexitarian

20-25 page paper due tomorrow, and I'm only at 14... but I'm feeling good, "in the zone," so I think it's all gonna work out....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Props to each of you.

My post-grad critical care training was only 5 months, but it was the 7th circle of hell and nearly killed me. I want to do a non-thesis masters, but for the moment I'm scared straight.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:09 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Well, I've finished the first paper (!!), which is now winging its way through the ether lest the temptation to tinker ad forking nauseam should prove too great to resist. Now I need to turn my brain/hand to paper two, which already threatens to provoke actual nausea: 20 pages between now and 5pm Friday. Can it be done? PLEASE TELL ME IT CAN BE DONE! And when (if?) that's finished: All Grading, All the Time. (So is it drink o'clock yet? And will someone please remind me why we're doing this again?)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I hate filling out session reports. Why did I procrastinate on them so long? Whhhhyyyyyy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 64  Next