| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:32 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It's ... interesting to learn the grading scales different countries use. For example, I earned 54% on my final exam in Sanskrit at an Indian university. I thought it was terrible (terrible!) until the dept. head congratulated me for earning First Class First. Jiggawhat? (Similar things happened in both Denmark and the Netherlands; I gather it's especially tough to figure out what's happening grade-wise in France.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:33 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Goddamned undergrads being loud in the library.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lutin wrote:
It's ... interesting to learn the grading scales different countries use. For example, I earned 54% on my final exam in Sanskrit at an Indian university. I thought it was terrible (terrible!) until the dept. head congratulated me for earning First Class First. Jiggawhat? (Similar things happened in both Denmark and the Netherlands; I gather it's especially tough to figure out what's happening grade-wise in France.)

What degree did you do in India? I have a long held dream of studying sanskrit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lutin wrote:

My school would just put up the exam results - sometimes sorted by grade - of the entire student body on a board in the entrance hall, or send them on our mailing list. Sucks for those who failed and wanted to keep it private, I guess, but at least it allows you to figure out where you stand on the curve and how harshly a particular course is graded. French schools are typically very small, though, and with distinct policies, so I have no idea what goes on elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:08 am 
Chard Martyr

Another new class tonight. Night classes are a new thing for me. I do my best work in the morning, but oh well, can't help when a class is offered. I hope that I enjoy this course more, as it is in my field and yesterday's class was a general course that is compulsory.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:24 am 

aelle wrote:
My school would just put up the exam results - sometimes sorted by grade - of the entire student body on a board in the entrance hall, or send them on our mailing list. Sucks for those who failed and wanted to keep it private, I guess, but at least it allows you to figure out where you stand on the curve and how harshly a particular course is graded. French schools are typically very small, though, and with distinct policies, so I have no idea what goes on elsewhere.

Huh. I thought was an ex-Soviet practice. I was actually thinking about trying to make sense of the number scale, especially if you come from abroad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:26 am 

vijita wrote:
lutin wrote:

What degree did you do in India? I have a long held dream of studying sanskrit.

I did a post-grad certificate in Indian Philosophy and Religion, another one in Sanskrit and a post-grad diploma in Agama-Tantra ( = Kashmir Shaivism = more Indian philosophy), all of which was taught in Sanskrit. The grade I mentioned was earned on the final exam for that course. I did all of those at BHU in Varanasi, which was ok, but if you're seriously considering it, PM me because you should go elsewhere OR be prepared to do all your learning with private tutors in the city.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:00 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i teach and am enrolled in graduate classes at the same school, which means i'm there for 12 hours on MW and 10 hours on TTh.

i'm getting really tired of having to poo at school every single day.

also, could do without waking up with crushing anxiety every morning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had a few migraines a week for the first 2.5 weeks of school and now I'm dreadfully behind and responsibilities keep on rollin' in. It doesn't help that at least through October I will have had at least one doctor/dental appointment per week, with the exception of last week...but then I had to take my daughter to the doctor. Waiting and exam room are not good for studying.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:20 am 

lutin wrote:

I did a post-grad certificate in Indian Philosophy and Religion, another one in Sanskrit and a post-grad diploma in Agama-Tantra ( = Kashmir Shaivism = more Indian philosophy), all of which was taught in Sanskrit. The grade I mentioned was earned on the final exam for that course. I did all of those at BHU in Varanasi, which was ok, but if you're seriously considering it, PM me because you should go elsewhere OR be prepared to do all your learning with private tutors in the city.

Neat! I will definitely PM you when I can seriously consider it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm in school for my MAT. I want to teach English at maybe the high school level? I say maybe because I used to think I'd never teach middle school until earlier this year when I long term subbed 7th grade and possibly had a change of heart. I'm currently taking the 2 most difficult classes of my program plus one other class, so I essentially feel as though my brain is melting. After a near mental breakdown last semester I made the choice to not teach and take classes at the same time, which has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. Now I'm actually enjoying grad school instead of just surviving it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Last class done, now a 2 month break to focus on flight training. Then a comprehensive exam. I just can't wait to be done with this damned degree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

every weekday lately I've been at school for 10 hours minimum. Usually I hit closer to 11 or 12. Today will be squarely at 11.5. Just like yesterday. ...sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Fizz,

Don't feel bad, I'm at school for around 14 hours per day. It gets easier! Hang in there, you can do it!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:08 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm so sorry, calcuhater. That sounds awful. You too, fizz, and p-j.

I feel really overwhelmed and am second-guessing my choice to go back to University right now. I think I'm just psyching myself out with the UK/US differences? The two essays instead of exams throughout, while fine... I just think "shiitake, I'm going to have so many essays due on this date." "shiitake, I don't know if my essays are up to par with what they expect here." But I voiced my concern in class last night and the instructor said that they're there to help me.

I am interested in the subject. I am excited about the internship and possibility of them helping me get a job in the field- I love the work I'm trained to do. Maybe I'm just overwhelmed with the move and school and all of that at this point? Oh, and fear. Of not being good enough or smart enough. I just can't let it paralyze me. I have to keep going! If history is an indicator of future behavior, I should do well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Meggs wrote:
I feel really overwhelmed and am second-guessing my choice to go back to University right now. I think I'm just psyching myself out with the UK/US differences? The two essays instead of exams throughout, while fine... I just think "shiitake, I'm going to have so many essays due on this date." "shiitake, I don't know if my essays are up to par with what they expect here." But I voiced my concern in class last night and the instructor said that they're there to help me.

Meggs, I know exactly what you mean. You think, hey, they speak English, sort of, how different can they be? And then the culture shock bites you in the asparagus big time. It's seriously stressful, especially in an academic setting.

But you will get used to it. You'll learn to pace yourself and set your own incremental goals rather than depend upon frequent deadlines to keep you honest. There will be panic and worry, but you'll do okay. Just hang in there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 am 
Chard Martyr

hoveringdog™ wrote:
There will be panic and worry, but you'll do okay. Just hang in there.
Thank you, H-Dog. I know that I did really well in the US system, so I am not a bad student by any stretch of the imagination. A lot of times, I had my work done weeks ahead of time. I'm just stressed out by the fear of unknown right now. I know the US system! Maybe once I get an essay or two back and see how I do, I'll have a better gauge on what to tweak and all of that.

Plus I just got a job and I know people do it ALL the time (plus more!), but I've never had to work and go to school at the same time before. I'm really excited about both things, but it will be interesting to balance it all out. Just a lot going on right now in this new environment!

I appreciate you sharing words of encouragement from a place of understanding and experience!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:40 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Is anyone doing/has anyone done an MSc or somesuch via online distance learning? I was looking at a course... but while it's 1 year full-time, it says it's 6 years part time. 6 years! I mean, really... SIX YEARS. That sounds ridic to me. How can that be real? I don't understand.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm doing an MA via distance learning. I was told "up to seven years", but I think I'll be done in two and a half, or maybe three (hopefully).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

Email and ask for a breakdown of the timeline!

eta: Gulliver posted while I was typing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Gulliver wrote:
I'm doing an MA via distance learning. I was told "up to seven years", but I think I'll be done in two and a half, or maybe three (hopefully).

Mine will have taken 4 when it's all done. But I kept the pace slow, too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Basically, I have a maximum of eight months to do a module, with sixteen for the dissertation. I have to do the whole thing within seven years. I think I did my first module in four or five months, but the second one is taking me much longer as I have a lot of work on at the moment (and it's harder). I think six years is an estimate that assumes you take your time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm *this* close to finishing and possibly also to getting a postdoc position...but I'm not *actually* finished. Gah.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:32 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I have been in grad school for so long that first year MSc students look young to me. Gah.

Also I was walking home from the grocery store (after spending all morning in the lab) wearing all black while undergrads were walking TO school for the homecoming football game yesterday and they were like "WHOOO~!" and I was like "I am way too old for this" haha.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:16 am 

Seeing 18 and 19 years olds around campus is the craziest!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 63  Next