| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:18 am 
Married to the wolfman

pickledtreats wrote:
I finished! Master's degree...official ;)

WOOOOOO! Congrats!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

HUZZAH!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:17 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Wooooooo! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Congrats pickledtreats, that's amazing!

I'm so crazy busy busy!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:15 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Stupid question? Maybe this is a stupid question. I'm nearing the end of my PhD and am starting to make a memorable impression on people. I will be on the job market (academia and/or research) in the next 2ish years, and have important conferences this summer (and well, future important stuff).

ANYWAY, I have a really stupid, arguably terrible question: My hair's the longest it's ever been, ever (past my shoulder blades) and I want to shave it off. I want it gone, either cut in a straight line around my ears, or just shaved entirely, like to half a inch. It's my hair and my body, and yet, at the back of my head, are several voices going, "That's not professional". Uuuugh. I care so rarely about what other people think about my appearance that I have no idea what to do with these voices. Help?

I'm a lady in cognitive science/linguistics/gesture research, in case academic sub-culture makes a difference.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think it does depend on your field to a certain extent. Like, I want to have parts of my hair colored (like some purple strips or something), more piercings, and a wrist tattoo but I know if I did any of those things or got a non-traditional hair cut it would definitely be problematic. I don't think I'd be taken seriously. Then again, my field is dominated by conservative old men and big pharma corporations.... In my husband's department (astronomy) people are way more laid back and you could look however you want without issues unless maybe you were applying for a position at Harvard.

I would say wait on shaving your head until after the job hunt. My feeling is that you want people to pay attention to your work, and not get distracted by judgements or prejudices they have. Once you're more established, do whatever you want! For my job hunt I'm planning to go way vanilla. If I even wear turquoise eye shadow to lab people flip out. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am 
Chip Strong

I am also about to be a Master! So excited! I just have to turn in final versions of some papers today and show up at graduation, and I'm done! I passed comps (I'm such a bragger, but I actually got the highest score in my cohort), and I have two job offers! Life is good.

Oh, and lutin, I covered up my tattoos for job interviews. I felt a little awkward because it was hot and I was obviously overdressed and (hopefully not so obviously) sweating. But I feel like you can never underestimate how judgmental people can be.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 am 
Married to the wolfman

Yay yay yay Moooooo! That is all awesome, awesome news.

My field is super casual in terms of clothing/hair/etc. As long as you don't show up at the lab naked, you're okay. It is one of the good things about the field.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think a shaved head is pretty conservative in the realm of "wacky hair." Most people don't question it and if you felt self-conscious or like it might distract from your professionalism at a conference or something, you could always wear a scarf or headband.

Btw, I had a conference presenter that was an administrator at a big international school and she had an undercut with most of her head shaved. It was certainly something people stared at when they got to her workshop, but her professionalism and work spoke for itself.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm feeling kind of bummed today. My project took a turn for the worse yesterday and I have to present my research to the group on Monday. I know my advisor is going to berate me in front of the group and I'm dreading it. To make it worse, I'm just feeling kind of alone and sad. A lab mate who works on a similar project as mine has been incredibly rude and disrespectful to me the past several months, which I have overlooked because I know he's stressed too. I just went over to chit chat with him and he pretended to read a paper on his computer while I talked, brushed me off, and when I casually mentioned how stressful life has been because my husband is defending his thesis tomorrow and I've been trying to be extra supportive, he said" well it sounds like your life sucks", and walked off. Um, what????? I'm sorry, it's possible to be stressed out or whatever and not be a crasshole. Especially because I do a lot of things for this person (make compounds, help with lab stuff, etc) and try to be a friendly, positive coworker, so it's not like I'm a drag to be around. Ugh. I've been working 14 hour days and getting very little sleep so of course everything looks really gloomy. I just kind of feel like quitting grad school today and I don't have anyone to talk to about it because I'm trying not to disturb my husband.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:52 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aw buddy. :[ Like I've said before, your situation sounds so super stressful to me just over the internet. I think it's natural to be bummed out when you are not really clicking with your lab, you hate your advisor, etc. (Also, sorry, but that dude in your lab just sounds like a crasshole!)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Aw, couroupita, that sucks. People have absolutely no right to be rude. If someone doesn't want to talk, they could at the very least say they're busy/on a deadline/behind. I mean, he's a grad student (I'm assuming) so yeah, he's busy but that is no excuse. It also makes me sad your advisor would actually berate you like that, too. I get they have to be tough and challenge your ideas, but there are more constructive ways to do it. You WILL get through it, though. From this side of it, I can say grad school is one hell of a bumpy ride, and when things are bad, they are REALLY bad. Things will be better soon.

Anyway, I shall be attending my graduation ceremonies tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

couropita, hugs to you. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. For what it's worth, I like you no matter what.

lutin, I've shaved my head a few times, and it is most definitely true that people respond differently to a woman with a shaved head. The main 3 assumptions were that I had 1) gotten cancer, 2) came out as a lesbian, and/or 3) taken some sort of Eastern spiritual vows. I loved having a shaved head SO MUCH. I felt carefree and really beautiful. But I also decided to grow it back out so that people wouldn't assume that I had some sort of alternative statement to make. In fact, I just like it. I might actually do it again, but after I shave it, I'll probably grow it out again.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for letting me vent, guys. I'm a hot mess today. I'm taking an hour break and hopefully will have a better perspective after soaking up some rays. At least it's a beautiful day today!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:40 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I managed to embarrass myself terribly in front of my advisor AGAIN bringing my semester count to like a million.

But I'm done all my projects for the semester! Now i just need to finish half of a written assignment for one class, write a 15 page paper (just a survey of an area pretty much) and take 3 finals and I'll be done for the year. Wooooooo!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

pickledtreats wrote:
I finished! Master's degree...official ;)

Congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

P-J wrote:
Also, for those of you who are not an MD, do you ever get comments like 'oh, you're not a real doctor...'?

It's pretty common for folks with DVMs or working on a DVM (like me) to hear things to that effect.

edit: oops, didn't realize I opened to the first page of posts and I was replying to something from almost 2 years ago...

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Congrats to everyone who is graduating and/or done with their semesters!

It's the last week of the semester for me, but it seems like the last month has all felt the same level of stress as this week. I can't wait until it's next weekend and I can just take a nap.

I have been working on an research review for publication all semester and it has been such a slog. It's really turned my interest for this topic from positive to negative. On the bright side, a project we've been working on in another class is something we're going to pursue funding for and actually try to do in some form - which would be really awesome.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:07 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Hey folks, just wanted to pop in here and say I got into my number 1! Wahoo! Grad school here I come!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

YAY J DUB!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:07 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

j-dub wrote:
Hey folks, just wanted to pop in here and say I got into my number 1! Wahoo! Grad school here I come!

Hurrah!!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:55 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

j-dub wrote:
That's great news - congratulations!!! (And details, s'il-vous plait!)

Reviewing ridiculous quantities of notes for my oral comps (this Tuesday) is making me feel like I'm going blind/crazy/and/or my brain is going to ooze right out my ears. The frosting on the retrograde Mercury cupcake is that my (usually super helpful) partner broke one ankle and sprained the other last Monday, and is now immobilized and confined to the sofa. This means that I am basically doing everything around here (and I'm letting a lot of stuff fall through the cracks until Wednesday, when I will be completely exhausted but have to lay in groceries, pay neglected bills, etc.), and I pretty much feel like I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

All this week, I've been awake worrying for an average of two hours overnight, and I keep veering wildly between an absolute terror of failure and feeling like I'm going to kill this thing with a stick. My mind is a swirling mass of random literature and I just want to get really hammered and sleep for a week...and then be allowed to write a dissertation. Please, please send good thoughts; I really feel the need of them!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

J-dub, congrats!!

Desdemona, sending lots of mojo your way! You got this!!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Congrats J-dub! That is awesome news!

Good luck Desdemona... you have worked SO hard and you are SO close.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Desdemona wrote:
j-dub wrote:
That's great news - congratulations!!! (And details, s'il-vous plait!)

York. Health Policy and Social Inequity (!! So cool!). Toronto...eesh real winter. I am not made for real winter! Or summer!

Sending you good thoughts, Des. I have full confidence that you will ROCK this.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 62  Next