| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1297, 1298, 1299, 1300, 1301, 1302, 1303 ... 1826  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 pm 
Semen Strong

I think there is a big difference between making jokes at the expense of BigPharma and making them at the expense of the patient.

I agree that it is really inappropriate, unless Mars and the MD had an existing relationship where they agreed it was okay. It would be really troubling to do that to someone you didn't know.

But you know, I'm not going to be offended on Mars' behalf if Mars isn't offended.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah, we don't have that kind of relationship, no, however I do feel like I'm real easy to read. I mean, in the beginning of the apt. I said something along the lines of of 'So... you know I'm transgendered yeah? So it's not going to be really weird when I start talking about my vagina right?' And laughing after I say it. Who knows though how she would have been to someone else, possible that she still would have said. But our general rapport was all around very fun and comfortable even not trans-stuff related.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 am 
Mediocre Tart

choirqueer wrote:
Vantine wrote:
Mars wrote:
Yeah, I mean I definitely don't reccomend saying this kind of thing to anyone, but for me , I just laughed! She was super nice and actually seemed super excited, medically/professionally. Seemed like she's all amped up to go learn more about Trans people. I however do tend to be in the rarer category of person that wouldn't care about that kind of thing. Hah, at the end of the exam she said 'and your current partner is male?' I said, 'male, but with female anatomy' and she said 'OH My God, you're blowing my mind!' Haha. I just laughed again.

I'm going to guess that the doctor read Mars' personality right or that they have the sort of relationship that allows for this sort of conversation. My OB/GYN makes hilarious jokes (often at the expense of the pharmaceutical industry). My first gyn was medical director of a Planned Parenthood. He used to tell me about some of the threats and protestors. He saw a population that include all sort of people including trans people. He was blunt and matter of fact. Someone who was soft and extra-sweet would have driven me insane.

What's appropriate depends on the people involved in the conversation.

I am telling you from my personal experience as a trangender person that health care professionals (and, just, people in general) feel free to say all kinds of outrageous things to transgender people that they would never think would be appropriate to say to cisgender people. I imagine it is possible that Mars's doctor just happens to be one of the ones who would normally never say something like that out of the context of correctly reading someone's personality or whatever, but frankly, that would be a pretty unlikely scenario. Not impossible, but unlikely. I would definitely not make the assumption that the doctor had some reason to believe it was appropriate to make such comments, other than that people just generally assume it's totally okay to say ridiculous things to transgender people.

I am sorry that you have had personal experiences with healthcare professionals/people in general that were not ok (to say the least), but vantine was addressing Mars and not you in that quote. Healthcare professionals, crappily, say things to cisgendered people too that are shitty and/or inappropriate. While I don't doubt that it happens more often regards trans people, Mars himself has said he wasn't arsed about it. I've had things said to me during exams which, out of context/personality could be considered 'off' or whatev, but it happens and I think in general most people who have experience in people-facing roles have a good grasp over what's 'ok' to say/do in a given situation, in particular how to read people and respond in an appropriate manner.

It's possible to imagine all kinds of scenarios, but Mars has been straight-up (if you'll pardon the phrase, love!) saying in this particular scenario it was alright.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

We have this graduation requirement in astrophysics where we go to professors' homes and listen to them talk about their research and careers. Today was my adviser and it was the single most surreal moment of my life. He was basically me, except a grown up. We're neurotic about the same things, we both go on at length about how we have no skills outside academia, he went to grad school because what else can you do with an astrophysics BS, he prefers history and literature to physics, etc. Oh my god. I'm going to grow up to be my adviser.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 am 
WELFARIST!

I am so stressed out or something that I can't sleep. I don't want to take melatonin again after what happened last time, and I need to sleep because I have work tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:09 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have my first ever meeting with my first ever real client for the new business. I am nervous. But I am also so prepared that it will go well.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:29 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I am not sure that I can wait until the 23rd for my snack box to ship. I might lose my mind thinking about all my lovely snacks before then. And I've made a deal with myself that if I am spending $20/month to subscribe to this thing, that I'm not allowed to buy any other snacky things in the meantime. So...no snacks for, like, 2 weeks?! I need to stop thinking about it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I have become very good at dribbling coffee all over things.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, man. Not sure how I'm going to get through the rest of my work day/evening with this sauerkraut belly. Whoa. Rumbly tumbly. I was going to take another serving of that soup for dinner, but I had best not. To be on the safe side.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

allularpunk wrote:
Oh, man. Not sure how I'm going to get through the rest of my work day/evening with this sauerkraut belly. Whoa. Rumbly tumbly. I was going to take another serving of that soup for dinner, but I had best not. To be on the safe side.

Oh man!! That can be rough!! I had a bit of time where I thought Field Roast apple sage sausage and sauerkraut made THE BEST meal (on top of mashed potatoes). It's delicious, but my God what horrible squealy guts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I told my orthodontist that the elastics she gave me make my lips swell and my face itch and that I would prefer to use the other ones I'd gotten from the surgeon's office. She seemed confused, told me, "They both have latex so I don't know what you're reacting to," and ended my visit by putting the bad elastics in and telling me to call her if there was a problem.

By the time I got home (2 hours later) I was so forking itchy, and my lip is a little swollen. I called her and left a message asking her, again, to please order the other elastics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:59 pm 
Chard Martyr

kfad wrote:
I have my first ever meeting with my first ever real client for the new business. I am nervous. But I am also so prepared that it will go well.
Good luck! It's going to be awesome!

So, what makes yogurt "Greek Style?" I never had Greek yogurt as a non-vegan, but the So Delicious Greek style seems like regular yogurt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

GymClassZero wrote:
I told my orthodontist that the elastics she gave me make my lips swell and my face itch and that I would prefer to use the other ones I'd gotten from the surgeon's office. She seemed confused, told me, "They both have latex so I don't know what you're reacting to," and ended my visit by putting the bad elastics in and telling me to call her if there was a problem.

By the time I got home (2 hours later) I was so forking itchy, and my lip is a little swollen. I called her and left a message asking her, again, to please order the other elastics.

Aw, that's terrible! She didn't have something else for you to try in the mean time? Even if she didn't have the same ones as the surgeon, surely she has some for people with latex allergies, just so you could try and see if they'd stop the itching?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 pm 
WRETCHED

Meggs wrote:
So, what makes yogurt "Greek Style?" I never had Greek yogurt as a non-vegan, but the So Delicious Greek style seems like regular yogurt.

It is generally thicker. Is it not thick?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:12 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Meggs wrote:
kfad wrote:
Good luck! It's going to be awesome!

It's thick and much tangier. And surprisingly low fat for being so creamy.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm 
Semen Strong

I loved Greek yogurt pregan, but the So Delicious stuff didn't do it for me.

Greek yogurt is thick and tangy, and you can spread it a bit like creme fraiche. I also really love labneh which is the Turkish equivalent. If someone has recipes for those 3 things, I would be thrilled if you would share. I need Turkish food now too.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Freetahtah wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:

Aw, that's terrible! She didn't have something else for you to try in the mean time? Even if she didn't have the same ones as the surgeon, surely she has some for people with latex allergies, just so you could try and see if they'd stop the itching?

I was hoping she would offer something like that, but she didn't. I have enough of the good elastics for two more nights, and then hopefully she'll come through and send some elastics over. It's stupid because I didn't have a problem wearing the bad elastics a couple months ago. I seem to be prone to sudden allergies involving my mouth/face (RIP my love for cashews/walnuts/chapstick).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish wrote:
I loved Greek yogurt pregan, but the So Delicious stuff didn't do it for me.

Greek yogurt is thick and tangy, and you can spread it a bit like creme fraiche. I also really love labneh which is the Turkish equivalent. If someone has recipes for those 3 things, I would be thrilled if you would share. I need Turkish food now too.

Kip has a labneh recipe here http://www.messyvegetariancook.com/2010 ... nd-labneh/ I haven't made it but everything else I've made or eaten at her suggestion has been awesome so I have no reason to doubt this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Mmmmmm roastred cauliflower... I am so tempted to go and eat the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 pm 
Chard Martyr

Hmmm... I guess it was thicker but I didn't think it was tangier! Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not sure, but I think the telecomm repair guy that came to my house might've been flirting with me. I never know these things. When he left, he asked for a pen/paper and gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him if I had any problems in the next couple weeks. I'm like huh? If so, it seems weird to flirt with someone in their own home? I don't know, even if I was single and available, I think I'd still feel weird. He wasn't bad looking either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hey, send him my way then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Moon wrote:
POIPPED! It is fun!

My mom is not giving up on poipped. She keeps saying, "That's so poipped!"

I just got this weird spam voicemail. All it said was "two hundred dollars in your account! AT&T cares about you!" Isn't that nice? They care about me! I don't even have AT&T.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:52 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

in this YA novel i'm editing, there's a scene where a boy has to explain slides to a teenage girl because she's never heard of them (like, photo slides, not the playground kind). i've never felt so old in my life. i wouldn't be surprised if my bones turned to dust while i was typing this and my ancient body just blew away in a little puff of relic powder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1297, 1298, 1299, 1300, 1301, 1302, 1303 ... 1826  Next