| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1308, 1309, 1310 ... 1767  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 pm 
WRETCHED

Mars wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
linanil wrote:
the verbiage in my review is "linanil is a model employee, something others should strive to be" but then rating: good. I think that is the worst part of it. If it said I was a good employee, then a rating of good would be ok. I am allowed to make comments but I didn't because I felt so defeated.

I think you're great.

I think she exceeds expectations!

Aww thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:28 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

linanil wrote:
the verbiage in my review is "linanil is a model employee, something others should strive to be" but then rating: good. I think that is the worst part of it. If it said I was a good employee, then a rating of good would be ok. I am allowed to make comments but I didn't because I felt so defeated.

I think you should talk to someone! I got something similar in my review, but my principal explained that I get a rating of "good" because, as a second year teacher, there's still SO MUCH I need to do to improve. That said, I work hard, I'm doing really well for a second year teacher, and I am a model of student relations/school involvement/etc. So I get a "good" rating in the grand scheme of things, but for where I am in my trajectory, I am ahead of where most would be. It might be something like that! I'm unsure of how long you have been in your career/at your job.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 pm 
Semen Strong

linanil wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
linanil wrote:
I'll complain here because why not. Today I got my yearly review at work. I got "good". Not great, not superior, not exceptional, good. Good sounds good, right? No. Compared to other people, I do a lot more work and I'm a lot more involved. I have this problem that I've always had in that I do my job, try to do my best and don't try to tell people how great I'm doing. Well that always bites me in the butt. This is the first year I've had a 'good' in many years and it has also been one of the most challenging and demanding. It just makes me feel defeated.

Have you considered writing a rebuttal letter for your file listing anything extra you've done? Perhaps have someone in a supervisory capacity also write one.

It is frustrating; I've been there.

I am so sorry, and I understand how rough it is to get a ranking that isn't commensurate with the level of work you do and what you know you deserve. I don't know if this would work for your office, but I remember reading a McKinsey white paper on women in the workplace and one of the big gender differences they pointed to, was that if a man got a review that wasn't sufficiently positive, he would generally address it and go out of his way to "toot his own horn" while women tended not to do that, so a less than stellar review would remain standing. In the white paper, it encouraged women to do what LW suggests and challenge the review - at worst you'll learn something and at best you'll get the stellar ranking you deserve. But not all workplaces are conducive to that, and I expect it depends a lot on your relationship with your supervisors.

I hope things get cleared up soon. It does sound pretty amazing to be described as a model employee that others should emulate! Clearly people think you're doing a great job.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm 
And you never will.

My husband was supposed to be home 1 1/2 hours ago. I haven't heard from him in over 2 hours, he's not answering his phone or texts, and there's been a huge thunderstorm tonight. I'm going back and forth between being annoyed and worried.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

I hope he's okay!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:59 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks! He's home now, he'd finally texted around 10:15, at which time I started being officially annoyed :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Linanil - I once worked at a place where I had a similar yearly review situation. I had won multiple awards, was known for consistently doing more work than many of my peers. I later found out that my supervisor was not giving the highest marks to anyone in our department, because the company was possibly going to do some pay cuts and layoffs, and they wanted to keep their options open. Depending on your work environment it might just be politics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:12 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, my dad was explaining to me that at his company, they actually have a limited number of how many people they can rate at each level. In their system, you get a number from 1-5, with 5 being the best, and most departments are only allowed to give one person a 5, then a certain percentage can get 4, and most people are going to get 3 no matter how well they performed because it just "wasn't their turn" to get the coveted 5. That company also bases pay raises on your rating, so if you get a 5, you're getting a bigger raise than your colleagues who got a 4 or 3...so even if you're lucky enough to get a 5, you're probably never going to get it again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:36 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

interrobang?! wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Today's Black Mirror was particularly unpleasant. Last week's was a science fiction ghost story, this week's was just brutally unpleasant.
Yeah, I just watched it. Agreed. Though I totally get what they were doing and Lenora Crichlow was amazing. Still, disturbing like woah.

ahhh it took me a long time to get into today's ep. but by the end I had so much to reflect on. so good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:53 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Convert to Christianity, Wilders tells Muslims
Quote:
All Muslims should renounce their religion immediately in favour of Christianity or atheism – it would be better for them and for everyone else, controversial Dutch politician Geert Wilders said in Melbourne on Monday.

I wish there were a way to deny entry to countries on the grounds of being a bigoted cockbag.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:10 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

linanil wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
linanil wrote:
I'll complain here because why not. Today I got my yearly review at work. I got "good". Not great, not superior, not exceptional, good. Good sounds good, right? No. Compared to other people, I do a lot more work and I'm a lot more involved. I have this problem that I've always had in that I do my job, try to do my best and don't try to tell people how great I'm doing. Well that always bites me in the butt. This is the first year I've had a 'good' in many years and it has also been one of the most challenging and demanding. It just makes me feel defeated.

Have you considered writing a rebuttal letter for your file listing anything extra you've done? Perhaps have someone in a supervisory capacity also write one.

It is frustrating; I've been there.

I have just once challenged my review. It was a stupid system there anyway. It was all tick boxes, and I got ticked excellent in every single box but didn't get a pay review, when others who'd not got as many excellents as me did get them. It took a lot of guts but I went to see the Principal and explained that since I couldn't see how I could improve it wasn't a helpful review, and didn't make me feel motivated it work as hard again. I did end up getting a pay review, and though there was a bit of an awkward atmosphere for a few days, it soon cleared up. They ditched the stupid system soon after that after being called out on it on the front page of a natioanl education newspaper.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:36 am 
Chard Martyr

Efcliz wrote:
I have just once challenged my review. It was a stupid system there anyway. It was all tick boxes, and I got ticked excellent in every single box but didn't get a pay review, when others who'd not got as many excellents as me did get them. It took a lot of guts but I went to see the Principal and explained that since I couldn't see how I could improve it wasn't a helpful review, and didn't make me feel motivated it work as hard again. I did end up getting a pay review, and though there was a bit of an awkward atmosphere for a few days, it soon cleared up. They ditched the stupid system soon after that after being called out on it on the front page of a natioanl education newspaper.

This is actually really inspiring to hear.

The company I work for isn't meeting the (impossible) sales goals the owner was looking for, so she wasted hundreds of dollars looking for an HR expert and headhunter to mix it all up. The frustrating thing is that our core staff are all GREAT at our jobs. She explained to me in one of her many tirades about how dire things are (they are not dire--she is just greedy), that since we're not meeting her impossible sales goals we have to reshuffle everyone around, and everyone is upset about it. I feel extremely unappreciated, because I stepped into an unfamiliar position and have really changed things around. She's praised me for that but there is no raise (even after I was promised one!) because she is not happy with the fiscal year's numbers.

I love my job. I hate not being trusted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 am 
Chard Martyr

speaking of annoying job stuff, I just faxed over all my new hire paperwork to a number I was given by a recruiter. she emailed me this morning and said she didn't get it and to re-refax it. she gave me the number again and it's a different number than the first one, off by one digit. I'm super annoyed because that means I faxed paperwork with a lot of private info to a random number. I don't think it's appropriate to say that she gave me the wrong number, but I'd also like to know if the first number I faxed to is at least within the same company, so I won't feel like my identity is going to be stolen.
I tried googling the number, but didn't come up with anything.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:03 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have started an illicit affair with an older (unmarried, don't worry) man and it is totally amazing.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

for the last three days i have been trying to download a gigantic (2g) file and each time when i get to the last few megs the power goes out. i am getting close and just waiting for the power to go out. dammit stupid no-books-in-this-place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:49 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Everytime I eat one of my (homemade) cookies I get sick. What is wrong with me?! There's nothing in them I can't eat. Not faiiiir.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

joshua wrote:
Convert to Christianity, Wilders tells Muslims
Quote:
All Muslims should renounce their religion immediately in favour of Christianity or atheism – it would be better for them and for everyone else, controversial Dutch politician Geert Wilders said in Melbourne on Monday.

I wish there were a way to deny entry to countries on the grounds of being a bigoted cockbag.

Ugh. Just seeing his picture sets off a visceral hate reaction in me.

Actually, he was banned from entering the UK for a while, but the ban was overturned. I wish we could ban him from The Netherlands.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Last day of my twenties. Scary. So scary in fact I am thinking of having a nap on the sofa.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:11 am 
Chard Martyr

Thirty rules! DO NOT worry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Hooray for 30s!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

poopiebitch wrote:
Thanks! He's home now, he'd finally texted around 10:15, at which time I started being officially annoyed :)

yesterday on Fresh Air, Richard Blanco, the man who wrote the poem at this year's inaugural address, read some of his poetry and your post reminds me of this one he read from called "Killing Mark." (i'm excerpting from the transcript off of the npr website, so i don't think the spacing is correct)

His plane went down over Los Angeles last week, again. Or was it Long Island? Boxer shorts, hair gel, his toothbrush washed up on the shore of New Haven, but his body never recovered, I feared. Monday he cut off his leg chain-sawing. Bleed to death slowly while I was shopping for a new lamp. Never heard my messages on his cell phone. Where are you? Call me. I told him to be careful. He never listens. Tonight, 15 minutes late. I'm sure he sits a moose on Route 26. But maybe he survived. Someone from the hospital will call me, give me his room number. I'll bring his pajamas and some magazines. 5:25, still no phone call. Voicemail full. I turn on the news, wait for the report. Flashes of moose blood, his car mangled, as I buzz around the bedroom dusting the furniture, sorting the sock drawer.

By 7:30, I'm taking mental notes for his eulogy, suddenly adoring all I've hated, 10 years worth of nose hairs in the sink, of lost car keys, of chewing too loud and hogging the bed sheets, when joy yowls. Ears to the sound of footsteps up the drive and darts to the doorway, I follow with a scowl: Where the hell were you? Couldn't you call? Translation. I die each time I kill you.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had to have a nap because I exhausted myself from the pure panic earlier! Now that I am well rested I now have enough insight to realise that my 20's was far too dramatic and controlled by people who didn't matter to me. I have all of those people out of my life now so here's to my 30's being calm, secure and happy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

ijustdiedinside wrote:
speaking of annoying job stuff, I just faxed over all my new hire paperwork to a number I was given by a recruiter. she emailed me this morning and said she didn't get it and to re-refax it. she gave me the number again and it's a different number than the first one, off by one digit. I'm super annoyed because that means I faxed paperwork with a lot of private info to a random number. I don't think it's appropriate to say that she gave me the wrong number, but I'd also like to know if the first number I faxed to is at least within the same company, so I won't feel like my identity is going to be stolen.
I tried googling the number, but didn't come up with anything.

There's a good chance, since faxes are so unusual these days, that it went to a phone number rather than a fax number. Also, if it's a big enough company and it was only one digit off, it was probably within that company anyways.

That is worrisome, but probably nothing TOO major, though I can understand why you might be nervous!

Maybe quote the email to her with the original number she gave and ask her if she knows where that number leads?

You could also try calling the number. If it's a fax, it'll give you fax noises, and then it's worth looking into further. If it's not a fax, you'll get a phone, and then you have nothing to worry about.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

I loved the poem cc. Reminded me of my grandmother.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We got the house! Signing papers sometime today.

Roommate was like "When do I need to move out?" I guess he doesn't understand the concept of a lease? He knew we were looking for a house, and I thought I made it clear, but I had to explain that we were at least sticking around through most of the lease term, and even if we move out a little early, we made a commitment to share the bills with him until the end of the lease.

Reply to topic  [ 44164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1308, 1309, 1310 ... 1767  Next