| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 987, 988, 989, 990, 991, 992, 993 ... 2108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:10 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I've decided I am going to open a home for accident-prone people. The entire building will be made out of cushions. We will have daily entertainment, such as the "Let's try to sit absolutely still and not move any of our limbs" game, and the "Let's look longingly at the outdoors through this safety glass window only don't get too close because you could bump your nose" game.

I need to come and live in your Home.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:29 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I really need to save money. I have so many things I have to save for but I get paid so little that I enjoy spending my tiny disposable income on little things I love like books and flowers and house stuff. How can I get myself to stop spending on things I don't need?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:46 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Sarah-Jane wrote:
I really need to save money. I have so many things I have to save for but I get paid so little that I enjoy spending my tiny disposable income on little things I love like books and flowers and house stuff. How can I get myself to stop spending on things I don't need?

It's definitely something I find really hard (and fail at quite often, damn you Paperchase!) but before I buy anything I try to think of whatever big thing (usually tattoos or travel) it is that I'm saving for & ask myself if I really need / want it more than I want to put the £howevermuchcash towards the big thing, if I don't buy whatever it is I put the cost of the thing I didn't buy into my savings account. I figure even if his only works 50% of the time that's better than nothing! I've recently started doing this with our food budget too, if I can resist £6 kale chips & £2 Go Max Bars for most of the month the money left at the end of the month goes into savings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:24 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The alarms went off at work again, probably because it's so humid that it's interfering with the fire alarms. This is not so annoying as the fact that people from the conference upstairs evacuated themselves while holding cups of tea. If you believe the building may be on fire, you do not stop for refreshments!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:24 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

That ... is a great idea, jojo. I think I'm going to start that. (I tried to do it preemptively - auto-allocating money to savings so that I have less of a cash pool to work with, but it wasn't very effective.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:08 am 
WRETCHED

Tofulish wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
linanil wrote:
I think I need to learn not to ask where people are from. There is a guy in my class who has a pretty thick accent and he is a nice, young guy. While we were waiting for something, I asked him where he was from and he said Sierra Leone... at that point I was like oh crepe, not a good subject. This is the second time I've asked someone in my classes where they were from and they said a country with a shitty, violent recent past.

Many people still love their birth country though and enjoy talking about good things, especially since most people have very negative images. I imagine this isn't true for,everybody, but for a few people I've known or students I've had.

I totally agree with this. We here hear Sierra Leone or Haiti and think it must have been terrible, but people have sweet memories of being kids and playing around that they love to share.

Oh I know, I just don't know how open people are about such things. I've known quite a few refugees over the years. My roommate/friend in college was a refugee, her family fled their country when she was about 9 years old. She said she never understood why her parents reminisced about the country since all she can remember is major political oppression until they started killing people, when they decided it was time to go.

A girl in my class a few months ago that was from another country in Africa with recent violence, seemed very tense whenever the past was mentioned. It was my psych class so the teacher tended to like us to talk about our past but she stood her ground.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:08 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

What helps for me is not just saving for the big things, but allowing myself a small budget for those tempting random things as well. Instead of treating myself to something small and feel bad about it later, I have a set a small budget for "treats and random things" to allow myself nice small randomness once in a while. A soy latte to take on the train. A nice new fancy notebook, that sort of stuff.

This way, treats feel more like treats rather than forking up your budgeting and something to feel bad or guilty over. It's like a diet. Life gets a lot easier if you're not denying yourself everything 'bad' and tasty, but actively enjoy the once-in-a-while exception on the diet, rather than beating yourself up over failing and eating the entire box of cookies. If that makes sense. By putting the treat money in the budget, I don't have to be so hard on myself, but I keep it under control.

Last edited by Paloma on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:09 am 

Yeah that is a good idea. I have several things I really need (and want) to save for such a my first tattoo, a new sofa, my best friends wedding present, paving my garden and that isn't including the fact that I am decorating my house as I go along and sorting out my garden in general!

I think if what I am buying is something that I really want & need for the house (which I am doing) or clothes that I need (mine are literally falling apart) and the price is resonable I will buy it but if I don't need it (I have so many books still to read in my house and DVDs to watch!) then I will think about what I am saving for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:15 am 

Also, be creative about ways to save money. :)

For instance, I buy all my jeans and bras on eBay, so I can buy quality stuff that lasts without paying the insane store prices. Also, my friends and I do a clothes swap party like once a year. Especially useful when you went up or down a size in clothing, because we all have slightly different sizes.

And maybe sell some of the stuff you're not using? Here in NL there's tons of ways to sell of second hand books, for instance.

And that garden: Maybe try finding someone who is willing to do some paving for you, and swap it for labour hours using a useful skill that you have? Maybe you're really good with helping their kids with their homework or you can cater their birthday party or sew them new curtains ? You could put up a note on Craigslist perhaps ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:31 am 

We dont have craigslist here but we have something similar. I like the idea of skill sharing. I know my uncle and (practically my) brother in law have said they will have a go at my garden paving but because my BIL is doing an unpaid internship at the minute I said I would give him some money for that and clearing some of the crepe from my garden.

I thrift a lot for clothes and house stuff, which saves me a lot and I have just sold some books and am considering selling my xbox 360 and games. I will only get about £100 for them, which isn't a lot but I am trying to spend my time doing more things that are creative and less of a time suck. I do love my xbox but I can't afford games for it and there are things I would rather be doing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 am 
Dead by dawn

I love contemplating the things people bring on the bus with them. Today there's a young man with a life size cardboard cutout of Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. I know people carry interesting and odd things in their cars with them, but you don't usually get to see and wonder about them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:40 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Sarah-Jane and Paloma: Do you guys have any Really Really Free Markets near you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:59 pm 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Sarah-Jane and Paloma: Do you guys have any Really Really Free Markets near you?

I have no idea what that is even. Do tell !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:59 pm 
Impressive boner

linanil wrote:
Oh I know, I just don't know how open people are about such things. I've known quite a few refugees over the years. My roommate/friend in college was a refugee, her family fled their country when she was about 9 years old. She said she never understood why her parents reminisced about the country since all she can remember is major political oppression until they started killing people, when they decided it was time to go.

A girl in my class a few months ago that was from another country in Africa with recent violence, seemed very tense whenever the past was mentioned. It was my psych class so the teacher tended to like us to talk about our past but she stood her ground.

Just to add my 2p to this, a friend of mine is Bosniak and moved to England when he was 7. He lived in an intensely shelled city during the Bosnian war, but he's still proud of his heritage and teaches us phrases (mostly insults). Occasionally he talks about how his family was affected by the war and gets very angry (his father lost a leg whilst trying to disarm a landmine), but seems very happy to make a yearly trip to visit his grandparents and cousins.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:02 pm 

Paloma wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

I have no idea what that is even. Do tell !

It's kind of like what you were talking about but on a mass scale. People will set up in a park or somewhere where everyone can somewhat easily gather and everything is free. You bring stuff you'd like to give away whether it be something physical or a certain skill that you have. People will even bring their trucks/cars and transport things for you for free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Really_Really_Free_Market

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Sarah-Jane wrote:

You say you like buying yourself flowers? Well why not start a little hobby of learning how to forage for free flowers, it's pretty simple. Go for walks around your neighborhood with a pair of clippers, look for any abandoned kind of homes, or alleyways, or unkempt planters/sidewalk area... You'll be able to find nice stuff for sure that no one will mind at all if you take. Even if all you can find is some nice foliage, a cool sprig of something in a vase always looks pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:32 pm 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
It's kind of like what you were talking about but on a mass scale. People will set up in a park or somewhere where everyone can somewhat easily gather and everything is free. You bring stuff you'd like to give away whether it be something physical or a certain skill that you have. People will even bring their trucks/cars and transport things for you for free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Really_Really_Free_Market

Sounds nice. :)

However, if anything like this exists in some sort of organised form in the Netherlands at all, it's probably on a very small scale. I am not aware of the existence of any markets like these. I know there is the 'downscaling' community, who are really into recycling, reusing, anti-consumerism, living on the cheap etc. But they're a rather old fashioned group from what I know about them, with its roots in the 1970, and I'm not sure if they still exist even. We also have various squats that run Free Stores, but those are more like free thrift stores. Also, swapping services does happen occasionally through the notice board in supermarkets, but that's usually rather specific, like people learning another language who are looking for a buddy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:38 pm 

Mars wrote:
You say you like buying yourself flowers? Well why not start a little hobby of learning how to forage for free flowers, it's pretty simple. Go for walks around your neighborhood with a pair of clippers, look for any abandoned kind of homes, or alleyways, or unkempt planters/sidewalk area... You'll be able to find nice stuff for sure that no one will mind at all if you take. Even if all you can find is some nice foliage, a cool sprig of something in a vase always looks pretty.

A friend of my mum once got a gigantic fine from an overactive police man. She was cutting some sprigs from a shrubbery, he happened to pass by and wanted to write her up for damaging public property and demanded to see her ID. She told him that she was just walking her dog and didn't carry her ID on her. Then he proceeded to write her up for failing to present him with her ID. Upon which she asked whether he didn't find that all a bit exaggerated, and she got an additional fine for insulting an officer of the law. (It's probably more fun if you know what sort of sweet little flowery cardigan wearing elderly ladies my mums friends are.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:54 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Well indeed one shouldn't do it on public property. If you do it on private property with no trespassing involved, I'm fairly certain the only person who could get upset is the owner of said private property, hence why you pick and choose the properties for level of abandonment/neglect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm 
Kale Wreath

Quick question: hazelnut pie (like pecan pie) or raw hazelnut cheesecake - which would you choose?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

hazelnut pie! i think toasted hazelnuts are much tastier than raw! brings out so much that super yummy hazelnut flavor!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:12 pm 
Kale Wreath

It's also easier/cheaper to make. Ok, decision made!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:18 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

What an emotionally draining week with my husband's grandfather's funeral and all. I'm feeling quite proud to bear his last name today because of what a great man he was. He was given his due honours today and celebrated by family and friends.

But to give you an idea of how drained I am...my dad is taking me, my husband, brother and my mother (his ex-wife) out for dinner tomorrow for my birthday. He asked me where I wanted to go, and honestly, all I want to do right now is go to my favourite vegan restaurant and have some of my favourite things from there. Normally I wouldn't suggest it because my dad is very meat-and-potatoes and I try to find a compromise between me and him and meet there. But I'm just too tired to compromise today. So I said I wanted to go to this vegan restaurant and my dad said, "Okay, honey. It's your birthday, and that'll be just great." And when I got off the phone I CRIED because of how touched I was that my dad would agree to go to a vegan restaurant.

Basically, it's time for me to take a chill pill and get some sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:48 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

RandiJM wrote:
Cool CQ! Can you say what the commercial is for?

Pretty sure it's Cold-Eeze.

I sing two notes! Over and over. Doot doo doo, doot doo doo! Doot doo doo, doot doo doo! I love a cappella.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:26 am 

Can't sleep now. Watched creepy movie. Why do I do this to myself?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 987, 988, 989, 990, 991, 992, 993 ... 2108  Next