| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1090, 1091, 1092, 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096 ... 1767  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 am 
Discovered unobtainium

choirqueer wrote:
vijita wrote:
How much do you guys pay for phone bills per month? I have an iPhone and I can't figure out if I'm doing something horribly wrong, or if I'm just old and don't know that phone bills can be close to a hundred bucks. It's a bit of a shock each month.

Honestly? The only reason I have a phone is because I'm on my family's plan and my parents think that I should have a phone. If for some reason they decided not to keep me on their plan, I would just not have a phone anymore. I don't have a smartphone or anything, just a super low-tech phone. Yeah, it's convenient sometimes, but there's no way I'd pay hundreds of dollars a year just for that convenience. Even if "everyone else" is doing it! ;-)

Note: not a judgment about anyone else who chooses to have a cell phone! Just my personal feelings about having one myself.

I agree on the phone part. I love having the Internet in my pocket at all times, plus an ereader, and all sorts of other things. It is definitely an indulgence though. I would want some sort of phone for safety though. (sort of what I had before)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 am 
Discovered unobtainium

He hit every single late 80s/early 90s music video cliche. Awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I have a discount on my phone plan through work, so although it's still a lot (roughly $60 per month for 450 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data), I feel like I'm getting a steal for an iPhone. And honestly, I use it A LOT. Do I need it? No, of course not. But I love it, and I feel like I do get my money's worth for it. I use it far more than my home internet connection, which I pay freaking $50 a month for. THAT feels like highway robbery to me.

My friend's boyfriend plays WoW and he recently moved in with her (another rant altogether on my part) and took several days off work to focus on leveling now that the new expansion has come out. She has gone from complaining about WoW to posting updates on twitter EVERY FEW MINUTES about how her boyfriend's character and guild are doing. Oh. My. God. Why do people do these things?!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:30 am 
WRETCHED

Any phone with a data plan is going to cost money and one thing I'd look at is do you really need it? If you wanted the convenience of having internet MOST places, you could probably do well with some other device with wifi. I've done well with having a regular phone for 15 years or so (small pockets of time I have had a smart phone through work but I didn't feel it was a need and I could've done without easily)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:42 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

DarthCupcake wrote:
I have a discount on my phone plan through work, so although it's still a lot (roughly $60 per month for 450 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data), I feel like I'm getting a steal for an iPhone. And honestly, I use it A LOT. Do I need it? No, of course not. But I love it, and I feel like I do get my money's worth for it. I use it far more than my home internet connection, which I pay freaking $50 a month for. THAT feels like highway robbery to me.

My friend's boyfriend plays WoW and he recently moved in with her (another rant altogether on my part) and took several days off work to focus on leveling now that the new expansion has come out. She has gone from complaining about WoW to posting updates on twitter EVERY FEW MINUTES about how her boyfriend's character and guild are doing. Oh. My. God. Why do people do these things?!

Wellllll...as someone who won't pay for internet on my phone, but will pay for WoW, I can say that the idea of having access to the internet constantly sounds like torture to me. Whereas, WoW is fun. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I have a smart phone. It cost 100 bucks for two iPhones on my old plan, and my phone is an extra 40 bucks a month on my new plan. Or something like that. I haven't actually paid a bill yet because my dad said he'd pay till I got back from Europe.

It's worth it to me because I bus. Seattle has an amazing app that tracks buses and lets you know if they're running late. And since I walk and bike, too, having Google Maps at my fingertips whenever I'm lost is a lifesaver. I know Seattle like the back of my hand mostly thanks to Google Maps on my phone, and, without it, I would never have managed to find my way back to my hostel today. I would pay 80 dollars a month for my phone, no question, just for the maps and bus apps.
However, I also use email a lot for school (online courses), so that helps to know what's going on there.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 pm 

DarthCupcake wrote:

Wait, wait, wait--he took time off of work to play a video game?

That sounds like the same plan I have DC only your discount is much better than mine (I pay approx $84/mo). I think you deserve a better discount though, because teachers just do. Gah. Teens.

I've finally caught up on this thread, and I'm feeling really accomplished. Also, I have Gangnam Style in my head. I didn't really think about the racial implications (though I'm glad you brought it up, Tofulish), I just think it looks like they're having so much fun dancing! And I love dancing! So, I like it!

(I may or may not have done a dance at the Apple store yesterday. It was not Gangnam Style. Hypothetically speaking.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Have I mentioned lately that I HATE MY JOB!!!!!

Yes, I did shout that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:18 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

choirqueer wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

Wellllll...as someone who won't pay for internet on my phone, but will pay for WoW, I can say that the idea of having access to the internet constantly sounds like torture to me. Whereas, WoW is fun. :)

I don't doubt WoW is fun. I have nothing against it. I DO have something against people updating all their social media every minute or so to update on how SOMEONE ELSE is doing at playing a game.

I get that it's social media and you can do whatever you want with it, but it's frustrating to have to scroll through several hundred updates like that just to find the few that are either from other people or that are from her and I want to be able to respond to because I care.

It makes me roll my eyes, as well, when she then complains about how she's so behind on stuff at work. Because, uh, I think I can pinpoint one potential factor.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:00 pm 

DarthCupcake wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

I don't doubt WoW is fun. I have nothing against it. I DO have something against people updating all their social media every minute or so to update on how SOMEONE ELSE is doing at playing a game.

I get that it's social media and you can do whatever you want with it, but it's frustrating to have to scroll through several hundred updates like that just to find the few that are either from other people or that are from her and I want to be able to respond to because I care.

It makes me roll my eyes, as well, when she then complains about how she's so behind on stuff at work. Because, uh, I think I can pinpoint one potential factor.

Ah, okay! I misunderstood; I thought you were saying you didn't understand why people play WoW.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:01 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

Helluva lot cheaper than a real vacation.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:04 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have a cold. I feel yucky.

And I am drinking so much tea with ginger that I think I smell funny.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My phone bill is just over $90 a month and includes 500 talk minutes that I never use, plus unlimited text and data. If I dropped the data plan, the cost would be around $45. Once I get a job and start making money again, I'd like to switch to a basic phone for calls & text only, and buy a tablet with wireless for mobile internet stuff.

One good thing about having a data plan - my cable internet is out, and I'm currently using my android smartphone's internet through USB tethering. It's a little slow but it works!

daisychain wrote:
Have I mentioned lately that I HATE MY JOB!!!!!

Yes, I did shout that.

I hope you can get out of there soon. <3 Dealing with work stress is awful.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:14 pm 

choirqueer wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

Yes, and probably more productive than my staycations, which usually just involve eating and naps. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Yes, and probably more productive than my staycations, which usually just involve eating and naps. ;)

Yeah! Video games build hand-eye coordination and improve your decision making skills! (Eating and napping are important too though!)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My dad likes Bill O'Reilly, but doesn't agree with him on most things. (I kind of do too because he is the most palatable source of the conservative angle on things) anyway, he bought me some yummy mint chocolate $5 vegan gluten free cake thing from Wegmans because O'Reilly raved about it and my dad heard the word vegan.

I'm not sure if I'm squeed because the cake is good and my DAD picked it out, or a bit creeped that my dad is now making purchasing decisions based on what O'Reilly recommends.

I guess it's mostly funny? And delicious?

And, holy cow--it is tiny! For $5!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm 

Aw, that's random and really sweet, LW! I don't think my dad would do that unless it was on GMA. Man, does he like GMA.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

DarthCupcake wrote:

My perhaps prejudist and biased opinion is that some people (subconsciously) "use" online gaming as a alternative reality or perhaps better said, as a way to escape real world reality.

Being busy or preoccupied with for instance dungeons and dragons is probably more safe or comfortable than dealing with real life things like Barrack Obama vs. Mitt Romney.......

So I think that some one who's deep into playing computer games can be compared to either an alcoholic or another kind of drug user, cause if the games are used to that extend that you need to take time off from work for it... than it's just the same kind of escaping from reality like alcoholism or other drug abuse.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm 

I agree with Veg_Eric on this. It's why I get all excited about seemingly silly things (Starbucks thread, anyone?), because then I'm not confronting the real issues I have to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

How do I find a ukulele that isn't made in a sweatshop or from carelessly sourced wood or featuring mother-of-pearl, but is not completely unaffordable? I made the mistake of searching for ethical instruments and all I got was rainsticks, pretty much.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My little brother made one out of a cigar box. His father is an artisan luthier and he (my brother) sold it to Newton Faulkner for actual money. So... cigar box ukes are really a real thing and are, by their very nature, mostly recycled. Try one!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 pm 
Chard Martyr

choirqueer wrote:
vijita wrote:
How much do you guys pay for phone bills per month? I have an iPhone and I can't figure out if I'm doing something horribly wrong, or if I'm just old and don't know that phone bills can be close to a hundred bucks. It's a bit of a shock each month.

Honestly? The only reason I have a phone is because I'm on my family's plan and my parents think that I should have a phone. If for some reason they decided not to keep me on their plan, I would just not have a phone anymore. I don't have a smartphone or anything, just a super low-tech phone. Yeah, it's convenient sometimes, but there's no way I'd pay hundreds of dollars a year just for that convenience. Even if "everyone else" is doing it! ;-)

Note: not a judgment about anyone else who chooses to have a cell phone! Just my personal feelings about having one myself.

Yeah, I understand, but I don't have a landline and I need to be reached for work. I resisted a smart phone for ages, but I find that it is so much more useful/convenient (hence the cost, I guess). I have used the GPS SO MUCH.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 pm 
Chard Martyr

This is kind of embarrassing, but my mum was talking about how much she hates "Mitt" and I had no idea what she was referring to. I mean, I know OF Mitt Romney, but I really haven't had time to pay any attention to American politics at all. It's kind of nice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Gulliver wrote:
My little brother made one out of a cigar box. His father is an artisan luthier and he (my brother) sold it to Newton Faulkner for actual money. So... cigar box ukes are really a real thing and are, by their very nature, mostly recycled. Try one!

Is your brother likely to make any more for sale? I'm not that confident I'd get beyond buying the gubbins and then leaving it in a corner with all my other craft projects.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vijita wrote:
I mean, I know OF Mitt Romney, but I really haven't had time to pay any attention to American politics at all. It's kind of nice.

You probably don't feel it that way, but it must be nice to be completely unaware of the U.S election.

The shiitake you'll hear on some occasions is unbelievable. Like when a presidential candidate wonders why you can't open airplane windows...(gives me a full mental block on thinking how such a person would deal with other U.S issues)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... 12167.html

Reply to topic  [ 44157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1090, 1091, 1092, 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096 ... 1767  Next