| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1091, 1092, 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097 ... 1858  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

dropscone wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
My little brother made one out of a cigar box. His father is an artisan luthier and he (my brother) sold it to Newton Faulkner for actual money. So... cigar box ukes are really a real thing and are, by their very nature, mostly recycled. Try one!

Is your brother likely to make any more for sale? I'm not that confident I'd get beyond buying the gubbins and then leaving it in a corner with all my other craft projects.
I can ask! Probably not, because he's 14 and at school. I can ask, though. My stepfather is Nick Benjamin who's made guitars for Kaki King and Ray Davies (of The Kinks), and he taught my brother and probably helped with the hard bits.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Veg_Eric wrote:
vijita wrote:
I mean, I know OF Mitt Romney, but I really haven't had time to pay any attention to American politics at all. It's kind of nice.

You probably don't feel it that way, but it must be nice to be completely unaware of the U.S election.

Yeah, I have a lot of reasons for not investing thought or time into the US election. Most of them are personal/work-related, but also I'm pretty disillusioned and well, I don't live in the country.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ndpittman wrote:
I agree with Veg_Eric on this. It's why I get all excited about seemingly silly things (Starbucks thread, anyone?), because then I'm not confronting the real issues I have to deal with.

And nail polish! And Tings. And this is why running out of nooch qualifies as a national disaster.

Apparently, parents of gifted children aren't too bright. I am in room 180, alone. There is a sign and arrow outside "GED Class Here" yet an endless stream of them are coming and asking if this is the gifted meeting.

There are at least 15 signs and arrows in the lobby and down the hall that say "Gifted Meeting room 179." there is also a crowd in and around room 179. Rooms are also numbered with a 10" square plaque.

Am I being overly judgemental here? Can nobody follow simple directions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

And apparently everybody brings their screaming babies to the gifted meeting. My students will be testing tonight.

I am going to be very pissed if this racket doesn't stop. My students mostly tend to be highly anxious about tests and just getting them here this first day is huge. They do not need toddlers running down the hall or babies screaming. Seriously people, get a freaking baby sitter, beg a neighbor, or one of you stay home (seems like mostly couples so far).

I sympathize that this is hard for many parents, however, a school where night classes are being conducted is not an appropriate place for cranky small children.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Veg_Eric wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

My friend's boyfriend plays WoW and he recently moved in with her (another rant altogether on my part) and took several days off work to focus on leveling now that the new expansion has come out. She has gone from complaining about WoW to posting updates on twitter EVERY FEW MINUTES about how her boyfriend's character and guild are doing. Oh. My. God. Why do people do these things?!

My perhaps prejudist and biased opinion is that some people (subconsciously) "use" online gaming as a alternative reality or perhaps better said, as a way to escape real world reality.

Being busy or preoccupied with for instance dungeons and dragons is probably more safe or comfortable than dealing with real life things like Barrack Obama vs. Mitt Romney.......

So I think that some one who's deep into playing computer games can be compared to either an alcoholic or another kind of drug user, cause if the games are used to that extend that you need to take time off from work for it... than it's just the same kind of escaping from reality like alcoholism or other drug abuse.

Again -- this is just my experience, I wouldn't say that it is true for anyone but myself -- but for me it's really healthy to have an activity that I enjoy where I get to hang out in an alternate reality for a while. Yes, it's safer and more comfortable than national politics. That's why I like it! National politics make me depressed and miserable. Playing video games makes me feel happy (because I enjoy the game) and boost my self esteem (by creating attainable goals that I can achieve without "real" dire consequences if I fail), and when my personal happiness and self-esteem levels are high, I can accomplish a hell of a lot more in "real life" than I can if I'm depressed and miserable. People take time off from work to go to things like family events that make them miserable and nobody thinks that's strange. Why is it so odd, then, that someone would take a day or a few days off to do an activity that they enjoy? Is it because it happens to be a video game? If they took the same time off to go to the beach with their kids, or go run a marathon, or get married...would that seem odd?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Whee leaving home again tomorrow. Lots of mixed feelings.

Pros:
-Going to go hang out with Mars
-Science is awesome
-I get to have my own space back
-Amanda forking Palmer

Cons:
-All of my friends are in Boston
-I'm really going to miss my mom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm not at all shocked or put off by the fact that someone would take off work to play video games. The last time I took off work voluntarily was because I wanted to sleep in. Pure, unadulterated laziness. That I earned and accrued and got paid for, but laziness nonetheless. It doesn't mean I have a problem, financially or socially, just because I could take some time off work so I did.

The story would be entirely different if it were that someone works hourly and gets no paid time off and is totally strapped for cash and they took off work anyway to play games while their world crumbled around them....but there's a whole world of gray in between total abstinence and doing 30 roxies a night IV, ya heard?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:27 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

zwingtip wrote:
Pros:
-Going to go hang out with Mars

DEBAUCHERY INCOMING!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:02 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I can't believe I'm arguing with my mother over whether food writers can be vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:29 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Uhhh, sooo, this could be cross-posted with the "who's drunk now?" thread, but I'm really freaked out, guys, and need your opinion.

I'm a medical student and I have this friend, let's call her Mary. Mary is a fairly new friend, and although the rest of our class mocks her relentlessly (mostly due to her appearance... she wears lots of blonde hair extensions and acts a bit airheaded at times), I decided to give her a chance. We've been hanging out fairly frequently for the past two weeks, so this evening she suggests that we head to a local Italian restaurant for their happy hour specials, in addition to their half price bottles on Wednesday. I agree. SOUNDS FUN, AMIRITE? Her husband comes along, too, since it turned out that he didn't have to work this evening.

Well, the evening is going swimmingly until my friend gets a bit too drunk and becomes incomprehensible. Speaks in nonsensical phrases and asks if I agree, and then when I do, trying to placate her, gets very angry and hostile and "jokingly" punches me in the arm repeatedly, calling me a "bisque", in that affectionate female-friend way??? Anyway, she keeps randomly crying about how scared she is of becoming a doctor and not being able to take good care of her patients, and I try to comfort her, telling her that everyone has the same fears and that it's okay if we don't know all the informations right now, it'll come to us later during 3rd/4th year and residency, when we get a more clinical feel for things. She then, throughout the evening, continues to be upset about everything from her personal appearance, to her bladder size, to her husband preferring her hair with extensions vs. natural. She then makes it over to my house and passes out on my couch. Her husband says, "Oh, this is just how she is when she's drunk" and blows it off like it's no big deal, and then asks if she can crash here, which I agree to, because, you know, she's my friend and I'm concerned.

TLDR: My friend is on several psychiatric medications and drinks heavily very frequently to "deal with her problems", including multiple glasses of wine each night along with her Ambien to help her sleep. I think she is a very nice person, but that she has problems that are beyond my expertise and that she needs to actually talk to someone professionally on a regular basis, instead of just calling her psychiatrist that's 12 hours away for a prescription refill when she needs it. I am worried about her and don't want to read "medical student commits suicide" as a headline in the local newspaper, knowing that I felt something was amiss and never alerted anyone to it. Should I contact our dean or someone else in our school to say that I'm concerned about her? Meet them in person to discuss things? I don't want to ruin her career, life, or our friendship, but I really feel that although she needs a good friend, she needs some professional help even more. So torn. I don't want to betray her trust, which I'm sure in the short run I'd be doing by seeking outside help, but at the same time, I'm valuing her life/well-being over everything else. GAH. Halp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't know. I get where you're coming from, but you might have just seen a few bad episodes. I would talk to her husband over the academics. If he doesn't really care, I'd talk straight with her. It could be something pretty intense that she is "dealing" with, and as a friend I think it's best to try to help her before potentially crushing her by passing it on to the school authorities. It's still a sticky situation. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A couple of months ago the safety at work people came over and took everyone's spaceheaters away (fire hazard). I'm in a large room with the doors constantly open. The heating doesn't work properly. I was in a rain storm this morning and my feet are soaked. I want my lil' spaceheater back! :'(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:50 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Last night I had a very pleasant meal with some older relatives who I don't see very often. My aunt has a painting in the Tate! That's really very impressive...

... unfortunately, my salad contained what I think was amaranth, which I've only had once before and it made me feel nauseous later then. This time, it made me really violently sick and spent a not-ignorable part of my night vomiting.

Some you win, some you lose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:14 am 
WRETCHED

I've been having some random foot pain while barefoot and my feet are starting to get cold due to the cooling weather. So I bought some Birkenstocks to wear at home (although finding leather free ones took a lot of searching). Within a day, the pain has subsided and now I'm wondering why because it is odd to have such a quick reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My internet seems to be installed! Yay, internet at home again!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 am 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
I've been having some random foot pain while barefoot and my feet are starting to get cold due to the cooling weather. So I bought some Birkenstocks to wear at home (although finding leather free ones took a lot of searching). Within a day, the pain has subsided and now I'm wondering why because it is odd to have such a quick reaction.

Birks are by far the safest, most comfortable shoes for me to wear. The difference they make for me is HUGE.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am PPKing from first class on the way to PDX. This is almost too classy for me. They took my suit bag! Almost.

Gotta love grandparents with a gazillion miles saved up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:26 am 
WRETCHED

Speaking of planes, my tolerance for the cost of plane trips has apparently gone up. I've been watching the prices from DC area to San Diego for the December timeframe and they have been in the $600-$700+ range for quite a while. Even Southwest was nearly $700/person. I somehow caught a 'sale' but it is still more than I like paying but I got decent flight times and actually was able to get direct flights (a rarity). Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lavawitch wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I agree with Veg_Eric on this. It's why I get all excited about seemingly silly things (Starbucks thread, anyone?), because then I'm not confronting the real issues I have to deal with.

And nail polish! And Tings. And this is why running out of nooch qualifies as a national disaster.

Apparently, parents of gifted children aren't too bright. I am in room 180, alone. There is a sign and arrow outside "GED Class Here" yet an endless stream of them are coming and asking if this is the gifted meeting.

There are at least 15 signs and arrows in the lobby and down the hall that say "Gifted Meeting room 179." there is also a crowd in and around room 179. Rooms are also numbered with a 10" square plaque.

Am I being overly judgemental here? Can nobody follow simple directions?

Nail polish!! Shoes! Apple products!

Also, I don't think you're being judgmental, but I have no patience for... I'm not even sure what to call it. Lack of looking around and sizing up your surroundings? Common sense? Not being lazy and using your eyes to find solutions in front of you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Freetahtah wrote:
Uhhh, sooo, this could be cross-posted with the "who's drunk now?" thread, but I'm really freaked out, guys, and need your opinion.

I'm a medical student and I have this friend, let's call her Mary. Mary is a fairly new friend, and although the rest of our class mocks her relentlessly (mostly due to her appearance... she wears lots of blonde hair extensions and acts a bit airheaded at times), I decided to give her a chance. We've been hanging out fairly frequently for the past two weeks, so this evening she suggests that we head to a local Italian restaurant for their happy hour specials, in addition to their half price bottles on Wednesday. I agree. SOUNDS FUN, AMIRITE? Her husband comes along, too, since it turned out that he didn't have to work this evening.

Well, the evening is going swimmingly until my friend gets a bit too drunk and becomes incomprehensible. Speaks in nonsensical phrases and asks if I agree, and then when I do, trying to placate her, gets very angry and hostile and "jokingly" punches me in the arm repeatedly, calling me a "bisque", in that affectionate female-friend way??? Anyway, she keeps randomly crying about how scared she is of becoming a doctor and not being able to take good care of her patients, and I try to comfort her, telling her that everyone has the same fears and that it's okay if we don't know all the informations right now, it'll come to us later during 3rd/4th year and residency, when we get a more clinical feel for things. She then, throughout the evening, continues to be upset about everything from her personal appearance, to her bladder size, to her husband preferring her hair with extensions vs. natural. She then makes it over to my house and passes out on my couch. Her husband says, "Oh, this is just how she is when she's drunk" and blows it off like it's no big deal, and then asks if she can crash here, which I agree to, because, you know, she's my friend and I'm concerned.

TLDR: My friend is on several psychiatric medications and drinks heavily very frequently to "deal with her problems", including multiple glasses of wine each night along with her Ambien to help her sleep. I think she is a very nice person, but that she has problems that are beyond my expertise and that she needs to actually talk to someone professionally on a regular basis, instead of just calling her psychiatrist that's 12 hours away for a prescription refill when she needs it. I am worried about her and don't want to read "medical student commits suicide" as a headline in the local newspaper, knowing that I felt something was amiss and never alerted anyone to it. Should I contact our dean or someone else in our school to say that I'm concerned about her? Meet them in person to discuss things? I don't want to ruin her career, life, or our friendship, but I really feel that although she needs a good friend, she needs some professional help even more. So torn. I don't want to betray her trust, which I'm sure in the short run I'd be doing by seeking outside help, but at the same time, I'm valuing her life/well-being over everything else. GAH. Halp.

For me, there would have to be a really good reason for me to continue being friends with someone who hit me. I don't care what substances she's consuming...you don't hit your friends, that's just not acceptable. It sounds like she does need some help, but from what you've said, it doesn't sound to me like you're in much of a position to help. If you can help steer her toward help, great...but you probably can't do much more than that. The behaviors you've described are what would ruin her career...not you. If this were my friend, and I wanted to continue hanging out with her, I would make sure we only hung out in circumstances where there would be no drinking, for sure. But honestly, physical violence (and I do consider "joke-punching" to be physical violence) is a dealbreaker for me; if I can't trust my friends not to punch me, they're not really friends.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

choirqueer wrote:
Freetahtah wrote:

For me, there would have to be a really good reason for me to continue being friends with someone who hit me. I don't care what substances she's consuming...you don't hit your friends, that's just not acceptable. It sounds like she does need some help, but from what you've said, it doesn't sound to me like you're in much of a position to help. If you can help steer her toward help, great...but you probably can't do much more than that. The behaviors you've described are what would ruin her career...not you. If this were my friend, and I wanted to continue hanging out with her, I would make sure we only hung out in circumstances where there would be no drinking, for sure. But honestly, physical violence (and I do consider "joke-punching" to be physical violence) is a dealbreaker for me; if I can't trust my friends not to punch me, they're not really friends.

Yeah, you're right, it is pretty unacceptable in retrospect. I usually just try to go with the flow, and so I didn't really know how to react when she started punching me in the arm last night after every sentence I said. Her husband kept giving me looks like, "Ohmygosh I'm so sorry..." but didn't really intervene. I'm not really worried about me, though, because I am planning on having a talk with her about how she acted, since I'm sure she doesn't remember. If she's resentful and doesn't want to be my friend anymore, that's fine. I don't need friends that are going to cause huge amounts of drama on a Wednesday night. I do, however, want to try and get her some help for the issues that seem to really be bothering her. The hopelessness in her speech, like when she kept slurring "It's just not going to be okay"... was scary. I'd ask her "What won't be okay?" and she'd reply "Just everything." Me: "Well, how do you know?" Her: "I just know. It's never going to be okay. I have a feeling." My future brother in law attempted suicide this year after self-medicating with lots of alcohol and drugs for a while, so perhaps I'm just overly sensitive to these things.

I scheduled a meeting with the professor who is in charge of our group of students today to talk about it. I'm not wanting to file a formal professionalism report or anything like that at this time, but I do want to make sure that I discuss this with someone older/wiser than myself. Maybe he can give me some insight as to how I should approach this or something. People in medicine are just very weird when it comes to discussing psychiatric issues with anyone, because they're always afraid it's going to come and bite them in the butt later on professionally. It's hard to know how to give someone an outlet without trying to ruin them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Freetahtah wrote:
I scheduled a meeting with the professor who is in charge of our group of students today to talk about it. I'm not wanting to file a formal professionalism report or anything like that at this time, but I do want to make sure that I discuss this with someone older/wiser than myself. Maybe he can give me some insight as to how I should approach this or something. People in medicine are just very weird when it comes to discussing psychiatric issues with anyone, because they're always afraid it's going to come and bite them in the butt later on professionally. It's hard to know how to give someone an outlet without trying to ruin them.

I would really encourage you to speak to your professor "hypothetically" at this point, as you don't know what his reporting duties may be.

Have you spoken to your friend when she was not drunk or hungover? It seems to me the first place to start is to air your concerns to her, what you fear it will do to her physically and emotionally as well as what it will do to her academically and professionally. You could also explore with her if she is getting any kind of support--like counseling, since psychiatrists pushing meds from 12 hours away is pretty forking irresponsible.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

j-dub wrote:
Freetahtah wrote:

I would really encourage you to speak to your professor "hypothetically" at this point, as you don't know what his reporting duties may be.

Have you spoken to your friend when she was not drunk or hungover? It seems to me the first place to start is to air your concerns to her, what you fear it will do to her physically and emotionally as well as what it will do to her academically and professionally. You could also explore with her if she is getting any kind of support--like counseling, since psychiatrists pushing meds from 12 hours away is pretty forking irresponsible.

I have talked to her when she's sober fairly extensively (maybe 10 or so hours in the past two weeks talking about her problems), and pretty much what I'm getting from all of this is that she has all of these feelings ALL the time and talks about them with me, but they just are amplified when she's under the influence. The psychiatrist 12 hours away is, in fact, all she has because she doesn't "trust anyone here" and her husband tries to get her to seek more help, but she definitely runs the show in that relationship so when the subject is approached, she just tells him to shut up and then stops listening to him.

In my email requesting a meeting with the professor, I didn't divulge her name or any details about her situation, just that a fellow student has me concerned because of the way they've been acting and the things they've discussed with me. I plan on speaking fairly generally about the situation, but once I figure out what would happen with the information if I choose to say who it is, I might divulge who it is. Our medical school has emphasized over and over again that it's okay to have psychological problems and ask for help, since medical school tends to bring these out in people because of all of the stress. This particular professor always tells the story that when he was in medical school, one of his classmates jumped off of the roof of the hospital (and died) and that it's really stuck with him, because everyone assumed he was just stressed like everyone else and no one did anything beforehand. We even have psychological services included in our tuition that we can anonymously access, etc., so I'd like to think that there are ways to handle the situation that don't have to end up being part of her record and then later a Dean's Letter or anything.

I'm just not really cool with enabling or ignoring what's going on the way her husband seems to. :-/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ooooooh, that's a toughy. While it is clear the girl needs more input from health professionals I can understand her mistrust of others. I would encourage her to go to whatever psychological services are available with the college. Emphasise that they respect confidentiality and if she doesn't find she is comfortable with them then she can decided that after a session or two.

At the same time, for your own sanity, don't take on too much responsibility for her too. She needs to be adult and make her own decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:05 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

how am i so good at jeopardy but so bad at bar trivia?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1091, 1092, 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097 ... 1858  Next