| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117, 1118, 1119, 1120 ... 1847  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

So true. I've left more than one job in order to have a better paying one, but then seriously regretted it and found myself wanting to beg for the old one back. I just hope my current job can eventually give me a bit of a raise so I can pay student loan payments, but we'll see. Being happy really is more important since I'm already fortunate to have a roof over my head and money for cat food.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Apparently missing breakfast makes me very cranky. But really, offering to replace the food that you screwed up is not "giving [me] a freebie." It's fixing your mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

lavawitch wrote:
Or iron pills make you quite ill and cause a lot of pain. They can be very difficult to handle for many, many people.

I'm not going to start eating steak (as if it would help anyway), but having to take high dose iron is not a trivial issue.

Horrible pain from an iron pill? That's a new one, and I've been taking a prescription dose for 15 years. I could see them really constipating you, but as a vegan (a diet that is naturally high in fibre), that is sooo not an issue.

Also, I did stop being vegan and go back to eating meat for a while, and my iron levels dropped despite taking the same ferrous gluconate dosage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ugh. I was joking a couple of days ago about how if I got sick I wouldn't have to give a talk tomorrow. Well, I got sick and now I am just sick enough to feel like death, but not sick enough to get out of giving my talk. Awesome. Be careful what you wish for, guys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:42 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I've tried so many different iron supplements and they all cause intestinal pain, sometimes debilitating. Not fun. There have been other threads on that issue here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

paprikapapaya wrote:
Horrible pain from an iron pill? That's a new one, and I've been taking a prescription dose for 15 years. I could see them really constipating you, but as a vegan (a diet that is naturally high in fibre), that is sooo not an issue.

Everyone's body is different. Veganism (or any high-fiber diet) does not guarantee that one will never get constipated; it just decreases the likelihood for many people. Other things besides low fiber intake can cause constipation. And some people's bodies just respond in totally unpredicted ways to certain treatments...like, if I take melatonin (which is supposed to help people sleep) I wake up with screaming night terrors and can't sleep at all, which I've never heard of happening to anyone but me, but that's what happens when I take it! So...just because something isn't supposed to have a certain side effect doesn't mean that it won't ever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have now had to explain to a certain otherwise-nice, otherwise-liberal person, for the THIRD TIME, that just because you like someone and get along well with them does not mean it's okay to use their race as their primary designator.

For. the third. time.

Like, I literally have to EXPLAIN that just because you are telling a nice, non-derogatory story about your coworker, specifying that the story is about "Chinese Bob" is still racist. Like, the fact that you have two coworkers with the same first name happens to everyone; the fact that you refer to them as "Bob" and "Chinese Bob" is still racist. Yes, it is. Actually.

(The first time we had this conversation, it was because this person was asking me if referring to his coworkers as Bob and Chinese Bob was racist. I just looked at him like "...you're kidding, right?" OF COURSE IT IS. He insisted it isn't, because he likes Bob and they are friends. Good for you; STILL RACIST. Even if Bob doesn't mind. STILL RACIST. Even if it's Monday. STILL RACIST. Even if someone else who is Chinese does the same thing. STILL RACIST. I mean, the answer to that question is always yes, it doesn't matter how many qualifiers you add.)

Similarly, please do not designate your small child's small child friends as "Jeff" and "Chinese Jeff." ALSO RACIST. After I calmly asked you if "Chinese Jeff" has a last name, and you said yes, continuing your story with "Jeff [lastname] - you know, not Chinese Jeff, Jeff [lastname]..." STILL ANNOYING. I was trying to give you an opportunity to change your language and move on; you had to try and make ME the crasshole. I also don't appreciate your wife asking me FOUR TIMES "...you know he's just kidding, right?"

Because obviously the problem with this conversation is ME, with my PEA BRAIN, not understanding that it's JUST A JOKE, HAHA.

I know. Still not funny, is the thing. Thanks so much for explaining, though.

(OH, and PS: referring to the small children as "Chinese Jeff" and "Irish Jeff" instead does not so much fix the problem, as just make you an asparagus. Some more.)

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:38 pm 

Sometimes I just don't understand what people think a "joke" is!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I think my standard response should be something like "oh. I guess I got confused because usually jokes are FUNNY."

ha.

I'm much less sarcastic in real life. ;)

CQ I OWE YOU AN EMAIL HIIIIIIIIII!

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:30 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

paprikapapaya wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Or iron pills make you quite ill and cause a lot of pain. They can be very difficult to handle for many, many people.

I'm not going to start eating steak (as if it would help anyway), but having to take high dose iron is not a trivial issue.

Also, I did stop being vegan and go back to eating meat for a while, and my iron levels dropped despite taking the same ferrous gluconate dosage.

Abdominal pain/cramping is a fairly commonly reported side effect of iron supplements. It's why my partner (who has Crohn's) can't take them. When he does, the cramps can be debilitating.

But I'm like you, paprikapapaya. I had more problems with anemia when I was an omni than I have since going vegan. (Likely more down to getting my period under control than anything in my diet.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:40 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

choirqueer wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Everyone's body is different. Veganism (or any high-fiber diet) does not guarantee that one will never get constipated; it just decreases the likelihood for many people. Other things besides low fiber intake can cause constipation. And some people's bodies just respond in totally unpredicted ways to certain treatments...like, if I take melatonin (which is supposed to help people sleep) I wake up with screaming night terrors and can't sleep at all, which I've never heard of happening to anyone but me, but that's what happens when I take it! So...just because something isn't supposed to have a certain side effect doesn't mean that it won't ever.

Yeah, iron supplements have pretty much given me every possible problem they can. Which sucks because I'm pretty anemic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mars wrote:
UM. PPK...

You want the best Pandora station ever?

Nu Shooz.

Nu Shooz Pandora station... is blowing my forking mind.

Dexy's Midnight Runner station is pretty forkin' rad too...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

lavawitch wrote:

IRON! I could never understand this thing.

15 years ago when I was a dumb omnivore I used to have chronical deficiency ... so I ate liver. LIVER. LIVER!!!!! Horrible stinking LIVER!!! With a strong Roquefort sauce! Then, suddenly, I turned vegan.

Still, I kept absentmindedly taking one iron pill every now and then (period, typically), but according to my last blood check I had way too much iron -ironically.

"What, you take iron pills? You shouldn't!!!!" Doctor said. ok.

At the end, I just aknowledged that there is basically no link at all between what is found in my body and what I actually put in it. Mysteries make life more exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

(ps: liver didn't help with iron deficency)

(obviously)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 pm 
WRETCHED

I've never had anemia but I was feeling dumb when I realized the FE in my birth control pills meant the 'off' pills. I always just assumed they were sugar pills and no need to take. Now I take those. Otherwise I don't take an iron supplement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:41 pm 
Chip Strong

Chipmunk wrote:
gunk wrote:
Why is it that one of my housemates always slams the front door upon entering and leaving the house? And always slams everything, in fact? I just don't understand. It's not because they're angry, I think they're just careless. I'm probably completely oversensitive, but a little bit of me cringes and curls up into a foetal ball crying every time.

Did my old housemate move in with you? Do they also stomp when they walk down the stairs, spill oil on the stove, and pee all over the toilet seat?

Well, we don't have stairs but they do stomp basically everywhere, and place items on the counter or wherever very, uh, forcefully, but thankfully they don't tend to spill oil on the stove (although they do sometimes spill other things). They are very pedantic about the toilet being clean, so that's something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:57 pm 
Hip Goiter

I didn't mean to imply that I thought everyone with anemia or x issue could be cured the same way! Please excuse me on that poor writing. I know that every body is different and things that work for me do not work for everyone. But the person I was discussing, who shared her story, made the change BEFORE being diagnosed with anemia or anything. The doctor said, women your age can become anemic. And that was it. So there was no attempt to try other treatment, which makes it seem like a convoluted excuse just to eat meat. And I think I wouldn't be as bothered by former vegs making the switch to re-eat meat if they were straight about it, instead of leaning on a faux-apologetic excuse (and didn't make an ENTIRE theatrical event chronicling the change; how lame is that show going to be).

In other news, I subbed at my mom's nursery school today, and this little 4-year-old Israeli boy (who I'm OBSESSED with) who like 8 months ago only spoke Hebrew, said to me "I think that the cutest animal in the world is the bunny." It was like one of his only full sentences in English, and it was freaking adorable. omg.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I was just mildly peeved by the jokes about it being sooooo hard to take an iron pill since it actually is hard for me and causes me a lot of issues. I know I'm not alone on this. I have to choose between severe anemia and being in a lot of pain. Not fun. Usually I wait until I start getting randomly dizzy and then start the pills again, then go off them when I can't deal with the super painful cramping any longer. I'm in the stage now where I'm about to suck it up and go back on them.

in other news: I've apparently volunteered myself to sponsor the school chess club. Oops. I had better relearn how to play. I just felt sad that the kids had no sponsor. I'm sure I'll be better than nothing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:57 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

RandiJM wrote:
In other news, I subbed at my mom's nursery school today, and this little 4-year-old Israeli boy (who I'm OBSESSED with) who like 8 months ago only spoke Hebrew, said to me "I think that the cutest animal in the world is the bunny." It was like one of his only full sentences in English, and it was freaking adorable. omg.

EEEEE!! I miss working with little-little kids, they're so cute.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Have to give a talk tomorrow, PPK. Pick a shirt (the light one is actually a very light blue), pick a tie.

ImageImage

You guys are awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tough. I like the pink, but maybe the blue shirt with the burgundy stripe tie.

You always look super spiffy, so you will look great regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Anemia sucks.

When I was a kid, my friends would be totally wowed by all of my bruises, as if I was some sort of hero. Now I am just tired and tired and bruised and tired.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:36 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Tough. I like the pink, but maybe the blue shirt with the burgundy stripe tie.

You always look super spiffy, so you will look great regardless.

That was exactly my call -- blue shirt, burgundy stripe tie.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:46 am 
Nailed to the V

first choice: pink shirt, burgundy tie :|

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:09 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Worst uni catalog ever. I swear, every second or third book search returns with "not found in index". I miss the library in Aarhus! (And the woods, and the sea.....)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117, 1118, 1119, 1120 ... 1847  Next