| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1152, 1153, 1154, 1155, 1156, 1157, 1158 ... 1827  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:24 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

booberthefraggle wrote:
that completely blows my mind!
I was such a neurotic and obsessive nerd, I couldn't let myself get anything less than an a- without seriously re-considering my value.
(I was a nutcase, obvs, but still!)

I did this weird thing where I would either get an A or realize I couldn't, stop trying and get an F. I was kind of a terrible student for this reason.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ijustdiedinside wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Honestly, two dudes on a subway is better than most of students come up with. They refuse to follow rubrics or cite sources. Ive stopped assigning these things because they lower grades too much and that a huge headache for me.

Example: 40 point mapping project. 5 points for labeling 5 major cities/towns. 5 for latitude and longitude of each, etc etc. and they just skip whatever steps are too much trouble then whine when they get an F.

LW, that assignment sounds really fun to me.

It was supposed to be fun! Since last year I earned that kids can't find Australia on a map, I had each kid pick a country to do a u it project on all year. For mapping unit, they made a map of their country (printing out a blank outline was ok; a third of the kids printed something out from online and tried to turn that in), labeled natural disasters and resources and looked into nuclear power plants, hydroelectric power, etc. the average grade on this project was a 42% so I ended up not counting them because I don't have the energy to deal with the fall out. I am having them redo for this quarter, but almost nobody has because they don't care.

Honestly, that same assignment could be completed successfully by a class of 4th graders. I'm so embarrassed for these kids. A lot turned their crepe in on ripped notebook paper (I provided construction paper in any size or color).

They know that the lowest we can give them for the quarter is a 55, so they figure they can squeak a pass by the end of the year.

Also, I've got kids from Ghana, Guatemala, Virgin Islands, Honduras, Pakistan, Egypt...don't they want to share something about their country?! I don't freaking get it. (kid from Ghana is an exception--his work is spotty sometimes because he works to help his single mom, but he is a great kid and really does a great job when he can. Total sweetheart too.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just imagined putting a bumper sticker on my Harley and broke out in a cold sweat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:54 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

booberthefraggle wrote:
do put a bumper sticker on an 89 geoprizm, though

Squee! Huge boober crush right now!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:07 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am not a 89 geoprizm! Harumph. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:30 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

booberthefraggle wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
hopes of running into a cute veg*n woman. I just have this idea that she will come up and ask me where the soy milk is and we'll hit it off. Hasn't happened yet, lol!

hey! stranger things have happened, I met one of my exes because they asked me out on a train after we talked about tattoos for the 20-minute ride from one end of broad street to the other.

guess I missed the boat when I didn't ask those lads out on the Boston train when they were asking about my sick ink, yeah? damn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

joshua wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
hopes of running into a cute veg*n woman. I just have this idea that she will come up and ask me where the soy milk is and we'll hit it off. Hasn't happened yet, lol!

hey! stranger things have happened, I met one of my exes because they asked me out on a train after we talked about tattoos for the 20-minute ride from one end of broad street to the other.

guess I missed the boat when I didn't ask those lads out on the Boston train when they were asking about my sick ink, yeah? damn.

ahaha yes, I'm pretty sure they would have been super game, based on the amount of joy in their reactions to them sweet knuckle tattz I gave you.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i mean obvs they would be in to it, duh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:57 pm 

What does that even say?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JonnyWoop wrote:
What does that even say?

Glad someone else asked because I have noooo idea LOL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

"Cat Lyfe Redeems"

well, it says:
cat (picture of cat) lyfe
(heart) redeems

also, it's sharpie.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:22 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My friends and I always hang out on xmas eve and exchange gifts. I really really really do not want gifts. I never do, but this year especially. I celebrate christmas with my husband, but I'm Jewish and didn't grow up in a household where we did a lot of gifts for hanukkah, so I feel really not connected to winter gift giving holidays. I'm happy to give gifts with my husband and don't expect him to abstain from gift getting, but I just don't want presents. So, how can I tactfully tell my friends that I am excited to spend Christmas Eve with them, but please do not give me any gifts. Is that tactful enough?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Maybe suggest something else like a cookie exchange?

I think that a lot of people really like giving gifts (more than getting), so its hard to put a damper on that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I wish my friends exchanged gifts so much!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

What about asking for donations to a (noncontroversial) cause instead?

Unrelated, I want there to be a gravy beverage. It's so close already.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:28 pm 

lavawitch wrote:

I think that a lot of people really like giving gifts (more than getting), so its hard to put a damper on that.

yeah, that makes sense. i don't want to ruin anyone's fun. this group of friends wouldn't be into a cookie exchange and I don't want to try to get them not to exchange gifts with each other because that isn't fair. I'm so torn. I don't want to sound like a total grinch, but the truth is, I AM a grinch!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ijustdiedinside wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

yeah, that makes sense. i don't want to ruin anyone's fun. this group of friends wouldn't be into a cookie exchange and I don't want to try to get them not to exchange gifts with each other because that isn't fair. I'm so torn. I don't want to sound like a total grinch, but the truth is, I AM a grinch!

Honestly, if they have a lot of fun with it, I'd suck it up. What is your real objection to the gifts? I guess it really depends how important the issue is to you vs how much fun it is to them. It's a pretty harmless thing (at least to me). I'm assuming they aren't doing elaborate, high dollar things, but inexpensive fun stuff?

I get uncomfortable sometimes with gifts, but thats usually because the cost bugs me, like my aunt sending me $100 worth of cookies from Allison's. Nice gesture, but it makes me really, really queasy and I choke on the cookies. I haven't figured a nice way of saying "love you, but don't do that!" But, she can afford it, and she spent a lot of time finding a source of yummy vegan goodies, so it makes her happy to do. I try to just focus on that, but I'd rather the $100 go to a food bank.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:44 pm 

I don't like the cost. But mostly, I don't like stuff. I don't need stuff. I try not to keep stuff around the house that I don't use or isn't something I really like. I end up throwing/giving away things a few times a year and often these are gifts I've received pretty recently. I think also because I don't want or need stuff that makes it hard to get me stuff that I'd actually want.

however, I think you're probably right. It's once a year. I should suck it up. for my birthday I can say no gifts much more easily.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:47 pm 

mollyjade wrote:

that's a good idea. I bet people would be ok with that! I could just say that I really don't need anything this year, but if anyone wanted to get me something maybe they could donate to something that helps animals. That doesn't sound too bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Can you tell them what you want? Maybe a gift card to get coffee or tea or a splurge treat from Whole Foods or similar? So it isn't "stuff." I hate random stuff too, and clutter.

Luckily, the few who give me gifts pretty much know to just give me SB gift cards, vegan goodies, or Chanel No5. I stay out of work secret santas etc and just bake cookies for everybody instead so they don't think I'm a horrible, joyless person.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Jones makes a gravy soda. I never, ever, ever want to try it though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:55 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I found a studio for sale in SF that I could actually afford... If the mortgage calculator is correct, it would be several hundred a month less than my current rent. Although I like my place, I also like the idea of saving money and building an investment (property in SF is unlikely to go anywhere other than up in value for the foreseeable future). However, I'm only 27, I really don't need to own a property, and it's probably not a smart or responsible thing to think about doing... but I'm really tempted to contact the agent and look at it.

In other news, I have 110 essays to grade and I don't wanna! I was so busy ALL WEEK with family in town that I didn't get to even TOUCH my pile of work until yesterday. I got through an enormous amount of work, but the fact that there's still so much wears me down, and I know the students are going to complain SO MUCH that I am not returning their essays like I said I would. But I had no time... and I haven't touched my NaNoWriMo novel in like a week and a half, and that REALLY depresses me.

I love my job, but I also really resent it so often. I feel like I've spent the last year and a half having to choose between doing my job well, or maintaining my personality/hobbies/friendships, and I've consistently had to choose the former. I just can't keep this up. I don't know if I'm going to go back to teaching next year.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 pm 
Semen Strong

ijustdiedinside wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

that's a good idea. I bet people would be ok with that! I could just say that I really don't need anything this year, but if anyone wanted to get me something maybe they could donate to something that helps animals. That doesn't sound too bad.

Or you could suggest that they donate to any project through Kiva and surprise you with it! Microloans can make a huge difference in someone's life and they could actually pick different projects that spoke to them. Maybe $10 for water improvement or $20 for a sewing machine :)
http://www.kiva.org/

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 pm 

DarthCupcake wrote:
I love my job, but I also really resent it so often. I feel like I've spent the last year and a half having to choose between doing my job well, or maintaining my personality/hobbies/friendships, and I've consistently had to choose the former. I just can't keep this up. I don't know if I'm going to go back to teaching next year.

My parents were both teachers. I don't know how anybody does it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:00 pm 

kiva is great!

Maybe I will try suggesting that we all donate to a charity that they think the other person would like and get maybe a small gift? it'd be way less stressful for everyone, i think. holiday shopping stresses me out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1152, 1153, 1154, 1155, 1156, 1157, 1158 ... 1827  Next