| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1191, 1192, 1193, 1194, 1195, 1196, 1197 ... 1850  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ha! I love it, Bathsheba. I realized as I thought on this more that it also comes with a level of comfort and rapport you've built with someone. Ie. Interrobang talking about boob honking doesn't make me bat an eyelash. Of course neither does Desdemona affinity for baby eating. I guess it takes time?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:30 pm 
Mediocre Tart

ndpittman wrote:
Ha! I love it, Bathsheba. I realized as I thought on this more that it also comes with a level of comfort and rapport you've built with someone. Ie. Interrobang talking about boob honking doesn't make me bat an eyelash. Of course neither does Desdemona affinity for baby eating. I guess it takes time?

This one time, I honked Desdemonda's boob while choking down a baby leg. Totally happened.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pics - preferably with kittens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:42 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

bathsheba wrote:
My preferred kind of flirting is when people are like "Ew, you're hideous," or "you have really ugly feet" and then they punch me or push me down on the jungle gym and throw sand in my hair.

true story: my first real boyfriend was someone i worked with. we'd been talking for a while, and i was pretty sure he liked me, but nothing was happening. one day we were passing in the hall and we made eye contact, but as i started to say hi he turned and looked at the wall. it was SO FRUSTRATING, and without thinking at all, i punched him in the arm. like, kind of hard. we both froze and looked at each other for a minute because neither of us could believe it had happened, and then we both turned around and kept walking. i was pretty sure he'd never speak to me again, but that day after work he followed me to the subway (yes, followed; like, hid out near the door and walked half a block behind me) and onto my train, which was heading away from his house. three weeks later we were dating.* schoolyard tactics: not just for kids! also for romantically inept and dysfunctional adults.

*cautionary note: this relationship ended horribly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:50 pm 
Mediocre Tart

***sentimental warning***

But, for serious. I think this came up in a sense in another thread- many people here have hung out in a positive way in real life, and that is what is so brilliant about the ppk. And that's what has made much of the flirting in the past 'ok'. I don't think I could ever explain it properly to people in 'real life.' The flirting and forking about? Much of that comes from people building real relationships with each other, both on and off the boards. I would hate for that to diminish. I've been a prick on here in the past. Nothing I ever said wasn't true, but I wish I hadn't spilled so much personal messed-up crepe. I really do adore many of the people I have and haven't met through this crazy random happenstance and while it's perhaps in a bit of a trough (as opposed to peak) right now, and while I don't post nearly as much as I used to (hurrah! say certain people), it would really cause a wee hole in my heart if it weren't around. There's also a reason I'm sending, off my own bat and nothing to do with any thread, more holiday gifts this year to ppkers I've never met than people I'm actually related to.

Jammy pieces for all.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This week is so stressful and busy.
Working late, finals, Hobbit, mandatory Christmas party for friend's work, baking with cousins Sunday...I just want to do nothing. Specialized retail during December is exhausting and I wish people were more kindly towards us.
I don't even get any extra days off because the days we're closed are Tuesdays, a day I'm already off.

Note on PPK flirting- I've even seeing a lot that makes me really uncomfortable, even though it isn't directed at me. Also a lot of really personal probing that bothers me. I don't say much because it hasnt been directed at me. And I rarely post anymore but I lurk lots and do enjoy and appreciate all you people for various reasons. But please, new people, understand this is a long standing community with intricate rules. We love new people, but we also love having a safe place.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 pm 
Mediocre Tart

We need some patented Panders disco up in here. Relieve the tension. Do do do do do do do do do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

missdelaney wrote:
Note on PPK flirting- I've even seeing a lot that makes me really uncomfortable, even though it isn't directed at me. Also a lot of really personal probing that bothers me. I don't say much because it hasnt been directed at me. And I rarely post anymore but I lurk lots and do enjoy and appreciate all you people for various reasons. But please, new people, understand this is a long standing community with intricate rules. We love new people, but we also love having a safe place.

Ditto pretty much all of this.
Also: I hope you get some nicer customers in the mix, this time of year is so rough in retail.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

interrobang?! wrote:
We need some patented Panders disco up in here. Relieve the tension. Do do do do do do do do do.

Can we all sit in a long line and do the Oops Upside Yer Head dance?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Ruby Rose wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

Can we all sit in a long line and do the Oops Upside Yer Head dance?

YES PLEASE. Followed by Superman (AND... SPRAY!) And the Grease Megamix. Where's Jive-Bunny when you need 'em?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:35 pm 
WRETCHED

I still love you all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

missdelaney wrote:

Yeah, I mostly lurk and don't post a lot, so that might put me in the "new" column, but there have been a few posts on various threads here that made me feel uncomfortable. It's like, you can just get a vibe that's different between two people who are long-standing friends joking around vs. when someone else is being skeevy. It's one of the reasons that although I thought about posting a link to my profile on the Facebook thread so maybe I could better get to know some more regulars around here, I decided against it for the time being for fear that my information, etc. would fall into the wrong hands. Not that I'm really all that anonymous anyway...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

So...have you guys ever steamed seitan by wrapping it in corn husks tamale style as opposed to wrapping in foil? I'm about to work up a batch and need some input as to why this might work/won't work. I can't see any reason it wouldn't...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:39 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yes to all that has been posted upthread here. Yes to noticing lots of inappropriateness lately. Yes to the fact that I still love most of you forking gobshites.

Down with being sick, this forking cold has done me in. I never get sick so this is a real blow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It seems like most of you are talking about one particular person (maybe I'm wrong). If so, perhaps there is a good way to address this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Hahaha. PPPP said gobshites. GOBSHITES!

That's not very Canadian, I don't think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 pm 

What the utter fork have you done to me, 'bang?! I dinnae who I've become!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

seitanicverses wrote:
So...have you guys ever steamed seitan by wrapping it in corn husks tamale style as opposed to wrapping in foil? I'm about to work up a batch and need some input as to why this might work/won't work. I can't see any reason it wouldn't...

the only potential problem i can imagine is that the seitan might bust through the husks. you can wrap foil tightly enough to keep the seitan from bulging out and getting all wonky and misshapen (usually). but i have never worked with corn husks and don't know what they're capable of, strength-wise, so perhaps this is a non-issue.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

paprikapapaya wrote:

With apologies to Burns, I think you dearies are all daft-buckies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

acr wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

the only potential problem i can imagine is that the seitan might bust through the husks. you can wrap foil tightly enough to keep the seitan from bulging out and getting all wonky and misshapen (usually). but i have never worked with corn husks and don't know what they're capable of, strength-wise, so perhaps this is a non-issue.

Yeah, I think you're right. I got my corn husks out and I'd use two to wrap the seitan and then tie off the ends with corn husk strands tootsie roll style but the corn husks to tie off break easily so I think the seitan would burst it in steaming. I might lop off a small sample and try it out with a few small pieces just to see what happens and roll it up in corn husks, but I'll steam the rest with foil. I just don't like steaming much with foil as there are always foil particles in my seitan after I freeze it. I wonder if I could wrap in wax paper and then foil to avoid that foil transfer that comes with storage? It's the foil particles that get embedded I really don't like.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

Also, I hear from the kitchen my cat now has my corn husks and is batting them off the counter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

acr wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

Yeah, I haven't worked with corn husks, but I *believe* they can be tied quite tightly, since I think bursting is a problem with tamales as well. I want to know the results if you try it, though!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I freeze it unwrapped, in plastic bags with parchment paper between the pieces. Then promptly forget its in the freezer until I find a freezer burned mass 8 months later.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Ohh...maybe that's my solution. To remove it from the foil before freezing and storing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:57 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

With apologies to Burns, I think you dearies are all daft-buckies.

Oh you did not just go there.

(Smiling and pretending I know what any of this means)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1191, 1192, 1193, 1194, 1195, 1196, 1197 ... 1850  Next