| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1264, 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270 ... 1861  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:08 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I have no internet at home and I'm being told it may not be back for about two weeks! It's only been two days and I'm already getting crabby. I work from home, so this is extra unacceptable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

linanil wrote:
I have a random question. Is there a single word that encompasses all the people that live in the UK that is widely used?

Reason I was thinking about that because the shorthand for those that live in the "United states of America" is to call us American, focusing on the last word in our name. But we don't call those in the UK Kingdomers (as far as I know). I was just curious.
From my experience, and a bit of checking on Wikipedia, British is the term used to cover all the UK, generally speaking. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, or on the island of Britain, but I would include Northern Irish people when I say British, because it's part of the UK. There are those who would disagree with its usage, though, sometimes quite emphatically. It's a bit of a tricky subject. Similarly, the term Irish can generally be used for people from either of the two nations that exist on the island of Ireland, from my experience.

If you know which of the four nations of the UK someone comes from, though, use that.

Calling an English, Welsh or Scottish person British is unlikely to offend, though they may inform you that they are English, Welsh or Scottish.

(Efcliz quoted me while I was editing this adding a bit)

Last edited by Gulliver on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I don't think there is. People use British but often incorrectly because of the Irish thing. There's a lot of amusement at the moment about how Andy Murray is Scottish when he loses and British when he wins, and it's true.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Gulliver wrote:
linanil wrote:
I have a random question. Is there a single word that encompasses all the people that live in the UK that is widely used?

Reason I was thinking about that because the shorthand for those that live in the "United states of America" is to call us American, focusing on the last word in our name. But we don't call those in the UK Kingdomers (as far as I know). I was just curious.
British is the term used to cover all the UK, generally speaking. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, or on the island of Britain, but I include Northern Irish people when I say British. There are those who would disagree, though, sometimes quite emphatically. Similarly, the term Irish can be used for people from either of the two nations that exist on the island of Ireland.

If you know which of the four nations of the UK someone comes from, though, use that.

Pulls out the popcorn and waits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm 
Chip Strong

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I have no internet at home and I'm being told it may not be back for about two weeks! It's only been two days and I'm already getting crabby. I work from home, so this is extra unacceptable.

That sucks so much, especially since it interferes with your ability to work. I am outraged on your behalf!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm 
WRETCHED

Efcliz wrote:
I don't think there is. People use British but often incorrectly because of the Irish thing. There's a lot of amusement at the moment about how Andy Murray is Scottish when he loses and British when he wins, and it's true.

I figured Ireland might be a different issue in terms of politics but I also figured that Scottish people weren't called British but again one reason I was wondering.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

From my teensy/sheltered American brain, I've heard it as English is for people from England, British for people from the UK, but better to specify the country as there's a lot of history and politics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

re: linalil's UK question, I have the following youtube offerings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:27 pm 
WRETCHED

That is great Lutin, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one confused. Also, I for some reason thought that Wales was in between England and Scotland.

Holland and Netherlands is also useful because I was confused by that as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't go anywhere near that topic. I've got yelled at for saying an irish movie was british once and since then I tried to figure it out, but I don't want to fork up and insult anyone so I just keep my mouth shut.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:34 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Well my mind is blown.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I don't go anywhere near that topic. I've got yelled at for saying an irish movie was british once and since then I tried to figure it out, but I don't want to fork up and insult anyone so I just keep my mouth shut.

In high school, they tried to teach us that Ireland is part of the British Isles. Yeah, no.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know if I've ever eaten coleslaw. When I was younger, I didn't like mayo or veg, so I don't think I would've ever intentionally eaten it. If I have eaten it, it was at least 20-25 years ago. But now I like (vegan) mayo and veg, so I'm gonna make some coleslaw this weekend. I hope I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm 
Mediocre Tart

This is my favourite bit of the C.G.P. Grey video, it kills me every time. Hilarious.:

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There are workers here putting a liner in the chimney. They turned the heat off and now they are knocking bricks out of the chimney or something... it's so loud and the whole house is shaking. I'm trying to figure out which part of the house will be the safest if the chimney collapses!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rained in for the night. I was meant to be going to a work night out but all routes out of my village are now flooded. To really top it off the dog is pure hyper from hiding out in her kennel all day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:14 pm 
WRETCHED

rachell37 wrote:
I don't know if I've ever eaten coleslaw. When I was younger, I didn't like mayo or veg, so I don't think I would've ever intentionally eaten it. If I have eaten it, it was at least 20-25 years ago. But now I like (vegan) mayo and veg, so I'm gonna make some coleslaw this weekend. I hope I like it.

I like cashew based coleslaw, like Cool Slaw from Appetite for Reduction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:17 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

linanil wrote:

Calling people from the United States American is actually really controversial in a lot of North and South America. To them, "American" refers to anyone from either continent, and it's part of U.S. arrogance that we've coopted the term.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:20 pm 
WRETCHED

mollyjade wrote:
linanil wrote:

Calling people from the United States American is actually really controversial in a lot of North and South America. To them, "American" refers to anyone from either continent, and it's part of U.S. arrogance that we've coopted the term.

I know that there are people that don't like it and really think of it as referring to ourselves as the Americans as if we are the important ones in North America or the Americas in general. I just don't know what other short name for "United states of American" that you would have other than American. Which is actually what started me on this thinking.

So technically everyone who lives in North/South America is American but if you refer to someone in the US specifically, you refer to them as an American. And I've never heard of American being used in any other way other than saying something is North American or South American.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:23 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Yeah, English doesn't really have a good alternative word. I work a lot with Latin American studies, and they're very conscientious about using "U.S. residents/citizens," but that's too awkward to ever catch on in everyday spoken language. National identity is complicated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm sick, my kids are sick, my partner is sick (and working anyway!) - bleh! Therefore, we're all sitting around at home (except my partner!) being incredibly lazy and tired and gross-feeling, when I actually need to be getting laundry and dishes and baby-proofing done. Why is being sick so annoying?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hope you guys all get well quickly, bodhi! We just went through this and I do not wish it on anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 pm 
Mediocre Tart

mollyjade wrote:
National identity is complicated.

Ha. Word.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 pm 
WRETCHED

mollyjade wrote:
Yeah, English doesn't really have a good alternative word. I work a lot with Latin American studies, and they're very conscientious about using "U.S. residents/citizens," but that's too awkward to ever catch on in everyday spoken language. National identity is complicated.

That is interesting, my spanish is more of the spanglish variety but I only remember 'norte americano' used or saying you are from 'estados unidos' but I don't know if there is a good word in spanish for someone from USA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:54 pm 
Impressive boner

interrobang?! wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
National identity is complicated.

Ha. Word.

Word and then some. A few people get really picky and refer to themselves by locality, such as Cumbrians.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1264, 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270 ... 1861  Next