| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271 ... 1768  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm a Sandgrounder all the way. Except that I am also now a Potter.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The lights in my office are making a buzzing noise that no one else can hear, and it's irritating as all heck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:11 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

linanil wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
Yeah, English doesn't really have a good alternative word. I work a lot with Latin American studies, and they're very conscientious about using "U.S. residents/citizens," but that's too awkward to ever catch on in everyday spoken language. National identity is complicated.

That is interesting, my spanish is more of the spanglish variety but I only remember 'norte americano' used or saying you are from 'estados unidos' but I don't know if there is a good word in spanish for someone from USA.

The word is estadounidense. Norte americano is used to refer to people from the U.S. in some places. And sometimes norte americano vaguely includes Canada, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:16 pm 
WRETCHED

mollyjade wrote:
linanil wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
Yeah, English doesn't really have a good alternative word. I work a lot with Latin American studies, and they're very conscientious about using "U.S. residents/citizens," but that's too awkward to ever catch on in everyday spoken language. National identity is complicated.

That is interesting, my spanish is more of the spanglish variety but I only remember 'norte americano' used or saying you are from 'estados unidos' but I don't know if there is a good word in spanish for someone from USA.

The word is estadounidense. Norte americano is used to refer to people from the U.S. in some places. And sometimes norte americano vaguely includes Canada, too.

Thanks, never seen that word. Wikitionary gave some alternatives including my new favorite: yanqui

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm 
Dead by dawn

mollyjade wrote:
estadounidense

This was one of my favorite words when I was studying Spanish. I liked the way it rolled off the tongue (after a couple of tries to get all of those syllables in!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mollyjade wrote:
linanil wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

Estadounidense is the word I learned too (the Spanish I studied was Castillan).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:47 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Gulliver wrote:
linanil wrote:
I have a random question. Is there a single word that encompasses all the people that live in the UK that is widely used?

Reason I was thinking about that because the shorthand for those that live in the "United states of America" is to call us American, focusing on the last word in our name. But we don't call those in the UK Kingdomers (as far as I know). I was just curious.
From my experience, and a bit of checking on Wikipedia, British is the term used to cover all the UK, generally speaking. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, or on the island of Britain, but I would include Northern Irish people when I say British, because it's part of the UK. There are those who would disagree with its usage, though, sometimes quite emphatically. It's a bit of a tricky subject. Similarly, the term Irish can generally be used for people from either of the two nations that exist on the island of Ireland, from my experience.

If you know which of the four nations of the UK someone comes from, though, use that.

Calling an English, Welsh or Scottish person British is unlikely to offend, though they may inform you that they are English, Welsh or Scottish.

(Efcliz quoted me while I was editing this adding a bit)

Northern Ireland is not part of the main Island of Britain but it is part of the British Isles. Northern Irish people are not necessarily British, we have dual citizenship, which legally allows us to identify as British or Irish, we have this option on official forms. We can hold British and/or Irish passports. Many people have both and use whichever one depending on the country they are visiting i.e. if it is British friendly they use their British passport, people tend to use their Irish passport more. In recent years many NI people have found themselves not able to identify fully with either British or Irish. We have a very unique history and many of our characteristics feel more closely related to the Scottish, than with any other country in the British Isles. Northern Irish isn't really a recognised legal nationality, but more and more people are wanting it to be these days.

lutin wrote:
re: linalil's UK question, I have the following youtube offerings

Very close, but not all the countries hate each other, in general, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales & ROI all get along fine. The only Northern Irish who tend not to get along with the ROI are those who identify as staunchly British, they often believe that those in NI who identify as Irish (which is their moral and legal right) should leave NI. The NI do not have any derogatory terms for the people from their neighbouring countries, unfortunately this does not cut both ways.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
linanil wrote:
I have a random question. Is there a single word that encompasses all the people that live in the UK that is widely used?

Reason I was thinking about that because the shorthand for those that live in the "United states of America" is to call us American, focusing on the last word in our name. But we don't call those in the UK Kingdomers (as far as I know). I was just curious.

Calling people from the United States American is actually really controversial in a lot of North and South America. To them, "American" refers to anyone from either continent, and it's part of U.S. arrogance that we've coopted the term.

And conversely, most Canadians I know are kind of offended if you refer to them as American.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:15 pm 
WRETCHED

fezza wrote:
The only Northern Irish who tend not to get along with the ROI are those who identify as staunchly British, they often believe that those in NI who identify as Irish (which is their moral and legal right) should leave NI.

UGH. Reminds me of the people in the US that think those that don't speak English should leave.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

There are so many derogatory terms for Irish, many commonly used. We aren't supposed to complain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
There are so many derogatory terms for Irish, many commonly used. We aren't supposed to complain.

Shur what would we know? We are only stupid Paddys.

Getting a bit of cabin fever now. Think I am going to have to crack open a bottle of beer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Standing ovation for fezza!

Gulliver wrote:
Calling an English, Welsh or Scottish person British is unlikely to offend, though they may inform you that they are English, Welsh or Scottish.

Heh. Someone hasn't met many Nats.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:52 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

interrobang?! wrote:
Standing ovation for fezza!

Gulliver wrote:

This!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm working on a pitch for a show called "survivor: spoiled brat island." there's only one contestant. let's imagine that she has, say, lettuce, oats, fruit leather, kasha, and wild rice on hand, and no other food. she is allowed to go to the store, but it's about 20 degrees out, and she really doesn't feel like it. how long will she whine about being hungry and tired of salad before she puts on pants and shoes and a coat and goes to the grocery store like a grown-up? i say fifteen days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Is there anyone she can form an alliance with and subtly manipulate to go to the store instead?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I am SICK. I have a COLD. This never happens. I'm so pissed off. It's also my own fault.

We were talking about colds at work the other day, and I said that I feel lucky that even with all my medical crepe, my immune system is golden and I don't get colds. It's been years since the last. Even when teaching. Then, *boom* that'll teach me.

I really don't know how I got this, unless it was just by passing an open waiting room for a pedia office on my way to see the gastroenterologist the other day. Those germs hunted me down like a heat seeking missile.

At least I am off work until next Friday, so If I end up being miserable, I can be miserable comfy at home with hot tea, soft pillows, and birdie snuggles. Only thing is I need cookies or chocolate or something now, and I ruthlessly pruned out any junk food when I started my diet.

Moral: don't tempt fate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

lavawitch wrote:
Is there anyone she can form an alliance with and subtly manipulate to go to the store instead?

she is allowed to train the local fauna to help her forage, but food deliveries are grounds for immediate disqualification. we are testing the strength of her will to actively war against her own best interests.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

I love that UK video, and fezza's explanation.
interrobang?! wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

For serious.

Friday! Sushi! Sexytimes! I love this crazy life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Say I'm the daughter of a black Jamaican guy and I am American. Am I African American? Or is there another term for black Carribean peeps?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

do you remember that game you used to play when you were a kid and you could only step certain places and everywhere else was lava? that's what i'm doing right now while i'm painting my bathroom. onto the toilet seat, jump to the side of the bathtub, back onto the stool to reach the top of the door frame!! it's very fun.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 am 

GymClassZero wrote:
Say I'm the daughter of a black Jamaican guy and I am American. Am I African American? Or is there another term for black Carribean peeps?

Actually I know a lot of black people who really strongly prefer to be called black rather than African American, because of the sense that "African American" sounds like terms (like "Polish-American" or "Italian-American") which are used by people whose families came to the US more or less voluntarily, implying that their histories are similar when they really aren't, and because it makes them feel like they are not "really" Americans.

I also know a handful of white people who were born and raised South African, were forced out of the country for standing up against apartheid, and ended up moving to the US and becoming citizens, so they actually are African-Americans.

So, yeah, national and racial identity stuff is complicated! (Not that you didn't know that.) Maybe Jamaican American or Caribbean American? I think it's kind of up to you how you prefer to self-identify.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:13 am 
And you never will.

I'm up late getting stuff ready for my birthday party tomorrow. I would rather be in bed, of course, but this is the first time in so long that I've stayed up late to do something for myself, not someone else. I even turned down an order for tomorrow (which I NEVER do) just so I wouldn't have the extra stress.

I hope I'm not too tired at my party tomorrow, because I am so. forking. excited. This will be my first birthday party ever and it's going to be amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:22 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I hope you have so much fun tomorrow, Poopie! And happy birthday!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:25 am 

chouettes crêpes wrote:
do you remember that game you used to play when you were a kid and you could only step certain places and everywhere else was lava? that's what i'm doing right now while i'm painting my bathroom. onto the toilet seat, jump to the side of the bathtub, back onto the stool to reach the top of the door frame!! it's very fun.

YES!! Oh gosh, be careful, you don't wanna get DEEP FRIED IN THE LAVA.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I don't go anywhere near that topic. I've got yelled at for saying an irish movie was british once and since then I tried to figure it out, but I don't want to fork up and insult anyone so I just keep my mouth shut.

In high school, they tried to teach us that Ireland is part of the British Isles. Yeah, no.

It is, though. The British Isles is a geographical term rather than a political term and includes the whole of the island of Ireland (both NI and ROI). The C.G.P. Grey video explains it this way too.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 44176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271 ... 1768  Next