| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271, 1272 ... 1767  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:37 am 
WRETCHED

choirqueer wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:
Say I'm the daughter of a black Jamaican guy and I am American. Am I African American? Or is there another term for black Carribean peeps?

Actually I know a lot of black people who really strongly prefer to be called black rather than African American, because of the sense that "African American" sounds like terms (like "Polish-American" or "Italian-American") which are used by people whose families came to the US more or less voluntarily, implying that their histories are similar when they really aren't, and because it makes them feel like they are not "really" Americans.

I also know a handful of white people who were born and raised South African, were forced out of the country for standing up against apartheid, and ended up moving to the US and becoming citizens, so they actually are African-Americans.

So, yeah, national and racial identity stuff is complicated! (Not that you didn't know that.) Maybe Jamaican American or Caribbean American? I think it's kind of up to you how you prefer to self-identify.

Sometimes figuring out your own identity is difficult, especially when your parents are from 2 different cultures. I prefer Mexican-American but I realize my experience as someone who is different from other Mexican-Americans as my family's most recent immigration from Mexico was over 100 years ago and the fact that my biological father was white (mostly).

My husband, whose both parents are from Irish heritage with one of his grandfathers being from Ireland doesn't identify as Irish at all. I think the reason being is he didn't grow up around a lot of recent Irish immigrants, as I grew up living in a community that was at least 50% Mexican with a variety of recent and not so recent immigrants. And my family practiced a mix of Mexican and American traditions.

I also grew up with a lot of black friends and black people within my community. I'll say, I always considered 'black' as a culture, not a color and the culture being those that descended from slavery in the US. I never considered someone from other countries (like Caribbean/Central America/South America or Africa) as black. So for instance, calling Obama 'black' wouldn't be something I would've done. And I knew someone from Panama in high school that may have looked 'black' to people but I considered him to be Panamanian. Some might take this the wrong way in thinking that 'black' is a bad thing but I do think there is a certain culture related to those that were descendants of black slaves vs someone who recently immigrated from other countries. That doesn't mean that they don't share similar experiences though because skin color in many countries is used to put people down. Anyway, this isn't my call and probably not a subject that is best represented on the PPK due to the few people who are of African descent.

I just say do what feels right for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 am 
Chard Martyr

Yeah, I don't like being called American, because I am not an American. My country just happens to be located on the continent of North America. Ironically, when I was living in England, my friends always called me American, which was a pain in the arse to continually reexplain. I remember someone asking me "what the fizzle is with Alaska?!" and it was hilarious, because seriously. Why don't we get Alaska? (I mean, I know, of course, but it's funny from an outsider's perspective).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

lepelaar wrote:
It is, though. The British Isles is a geographical term rather than a political term and includes the whole of the island of Ireland (both NI and ROI). The C.G.P. Grey video explains it this way too.

To add further complication, from a linguistic categorisation perspective, English is not a British language, unlike Breton, which is spoken in France.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So many things!

PB, I hope your birthday party is awesome!!

Chouettecrepes: yes!! I had completely forgotten about that.

Not to sound too ignorant, but what's a Nat? I really appreciate your explanation, Fezza. So the people that are rioting, the loyalists, loyal to England? Also, what is a Tory? Political party? Conservative? Sorry for the questions. My googler is broken.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GymClassZero wrote:
Say I'm the daughter of a black Jamaican guy and I am American. Am I African American? Or is there another term for black Carribean peeps?

I think that is up to the individual to decide.
In FL, many of the people from the Caribbean that I have met prefer to be identified with their country of origin. I used to work with a man from Jamaica who would get furious if someone called him African-American.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 am 

Wilson's FB is in Portuguese, obvs, so I think he listed his race as brown, which I believe brazilians use to refer to mixed ancestry. When I went to his page and saw the English version or whatever they had translated that to African American. I was like, Wils, you're African American now? "I'm me Brazilian!!!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:09 am 
Semen Strong

Vantine wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:

I think that is up to the individual to decide.

I think its a distinction between race and nationality, and it sounds like your father identifies as Black. And as Vantine says, its your decision what racial group you want to identify with. At the same time, if you're filing out forms, you want to look at what the definition is. For example, for the US Census the definition is "Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am.' or provide written entries such as Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."

I find it interesting that it includes people who identify as "Kenyan." While 99% of the population of Kenya and Haiti etc are Black, it may be a fair assumption for most of the people who identify as such, but I do think that it is problematic to conflate race and nationality. I was born in Kenya (as was my mother), but we are ethnically South Asian, so I fill my census form out as Asian (which includes South Asians by definition), even though based on our nationality, we were Kenyan until we gave up our Kenyan passports.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 am 
Discovered unobtainium

choirqueer wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:
do you remember that game you used to play when you were a kid and you could only step certain places and everywhere else was lava? that's what i'm doing right now while i'm painting my bathroom. onto the toilet seat, jump to the side of the bathtub, back onto the stool to reach the top of the door frame!! it's very fun.

YES!! Oh gosh, be careful, you don't wanna get DEEP FRIED IN THE LAVA.

I don't see why not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ndpittman wrote:
The lights in my office are making a buzzing noise that no one else can hear, and it's irritating as all heck!

Have you heard the This American Life episode about mapping? There is a section about mapping your space by sound, and this guy found the tone of all the crepe he is surrounded by in his office (computer, heater, dial tone on the phone) and they made a minor chord, which is just a bummer for your brain. Isn't that interesting? Being constantly, and subliminally, bombarded with minor chords all day long? Like, no wonder people hate their jobs!

My friend let me borrow season 2 of Archer last night (so hilarious) and when I went to plug in my computer by my bed for optimal late night viewing, it charged right up, like there was no problem! There must just be something wrong with the outlet in the dining room, which I can live with. Now I can cave in to my extreme phone anxiety and I don't have to talk to the Apple Care people! Hooray!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:27 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ndpittman wrote:
Also, what is a Tory? Political party? Conservative? Sorry for the questions. My googler is broken.
The Tory Party is the historical name for the Conservative Part. Or rather, the Tory Party transformed into the Conservative Party, but people still call them Tories. To a political historian, they might technically mean different parties, but on the news and in speech, Tory is a synonym for Conservative.

The Conservatives are, traditionally, on average, centre-right. Labour is traditionally left but increasingly centrist and the Lib(eral) Dem(ocrat)s are traditionally centrist but increasingly centre-left. Currently in power is a coalition between the Conservatives and the Lib Dems, which is going about as well as can be expected from two parties that traditionally opposed each other on every single point. As an aside, we were talking about politicians in the pub the other night, and the thing we all liked most about David Cameron was that last year he and his wife left one of their children in a pub.

TVTropes has a quite good, quite easy to read guide to British Politics in its Useful Notes section.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:28 am 
Discovered unobtainium

lepelaar wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I don't go anywhere near that topic. I've got yelled at for saying an irish movie was british once and since then I tried to figure it out, but I don't want to fork up and insult anyone so I just keep my mouth shut.

In high school, they tried to teach us that Ireland is part of the British Isles. Yeah, no.

It is, though. The British Isles is a geographical term rather than a political term and includes the whole of the island of Ireland (both NI and ROI). The C.G.P. Grey video explains it this way too.

That doesn't fly very well in Ireland. It's pretty offensive actually, but the way Irish history is taught goes along with that anyway. Textbooks also rarely, if ever, ask why a country starved when it was only potatoes that failed. I'll have to ask my cousins what is in their textbooks today. Years ago when my uncle (he taught history for many years) saw my American books, he thought the geography/social studies was "rubbish."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I feel awful. I just read an article about some burglaries where they killed the dogs that were in the house. In the first they stabbed a german shep pup and in the second they beat a terrier with a stick. I find it hard enough leaving my girl when I go to work without thinking that there are people like that out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I probably spent 30 minutes in the shop trying to decide what pajamas to buy. They had these cute onesies*, but after I searched all 4 different places where they had them, I discovered that they only had xs and small. Then I was looking at sets, and they were put together in such a way that they couldn't be separated, so I couldn't try them on. So I went to find individual pieces that I could try on, and they were sized differently (I think I hover between 16 and 18 - the sets were 16/18, and the singles were 14/16 or 18/20). I ended up just grabbing the ones I liked and checked that I could take them back if they didn't fit.

*One was a leopard with a leopard-face hood, and the other was a hedgehog with a hedgehog-face hood and feet. They also had a monkey but I'm not really a monkey person so didn't look.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:30 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

We had no hot water this morning. No one thought to inform me of this. Cue bathtub filled with freezing cold water that I unfortunately did not think to check the temperature of before climbing in. Not a pleasant way to start the day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am 
Discovered unobtainium

The kids are SO CONCERNED about the grades. They are BEGGING to know what they can do to raise their grade. I've had 4 emails this morning from one kid alone.

(for the past two weeks, it was well announced that grades would be final on Thursday. The entire last week of class was devoted to makeup crepe. Grade reports were passed out weekly.)

What do they expect to happen, emailing me on Saturday? That I'm going to say I'll be happy to waive the project they didn't do that was due in November? That it's ok they didn't make up any of their assignments? They can have an A anyway? what the fizzle)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Kucinich found a new job on Fox. I think he is their pet democrat now. I'm glad to see him around, but I wish he was still in Congress.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Whu?! Kucinich at Fox?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

He's been there for a while apparently. I just now saw him on, but I don't know what was being discussed since I turned the tv off. Can't deal with news and politics on a Saturday morning.

But, why not be on Fox? They get the ratings. Kuchinich is more likely to be heard there than another network; he isn't afraid of debate and he always comes across well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:18 pm 
Impressive boner

daisychain wrote:
I find it hard enough leaving my girl when I go to work without thinking that there are people like that out there.

I feel like this sometimes with the guinea pigs. We used to live next door to some really confrontational, aggressive people and for a while there I was afraid that I'd come home to find they'd been harmed, even though they're indoor piggies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It transpires that my whisker doesn't quite reach the bottom of the bowl. Instead of whipping flax meringue, it gave it a head massage. Woo?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:35 pm 

Gulliver wrote:
It transpires that my whisker doesn't quite reach the bottom of the bowl. Instead of whipping flax meringue, it gave it a head massage. Woo?

I read this sentence in utter confusion at least a dozen times before I realized that you were referring to a kitchen utensil (which in the US we call a "whisk") and not your facial hair. That was an interesting mental image though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

choirqueer wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

I read this sentence in utter confusion at least a dozen times before I realized that you were referring to a kitchen utensil (which in the US we call a "whisk") and not your facial hair. That was an interesting mental image though.

I had the same reaction. I was wondering is whisker might have been a euphemism? Then it sounded quite dirty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

aelle wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

I had the same reaction. I was wondering is whisker might have been a euphemism? Then it sounded quite dirty.

I wondered if it were a filter. (Couldn't figure out what for......)
Nice to know I wasn't the only one confused?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was talking about facial hair...

We probably call it a whisk really, but I talk like a child sometimes. At any rate, after half an hour of fruitless whisking (with my beard, moustache, eyelashes etc) I threw the whole thing down the loo and flushed it away.

I don't actually like soft meringue, so it's just as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I do not appreciate my boss calling me on Saturday morning. For any reason, ever.

Reply to topic  [ 44165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270, 1271, 1272 ... 1767  Next