| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1282, 1283, 1284, 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288 ... 1824  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Good luck, ijdi! It is good to go see your family. Well they be calling or mailing you the interview follow up?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:22 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks! I dunno if they will email or call. So far it's been by email, but we'll see. I'm really hoping one of them gets in touch tomorrow or wed, so I could set up an interview this week and then not have to worry about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:47 pm 
Chard Martyr

good luck, idji!

I'm having an awesome day/week/month. I feel like this year is going to be made of good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Whoa, I've stayed up too late making contributions for the potluck I'm going to on Wednesday and now I don't feel tired. Stupid body - hit midnight and it seems to think "ah well, I haven't gone to bed yet so it must be a new day!".

Didn't even have time to chocolate-coat the florentines yet, but I do have experimental rum-butterscotch truffles all packed up, along with the ginger beer (which I'm very slightly afraid of, it seems very active now. I hope the bottles hold out on the coach with all the jiggling!).

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:17 pm 
WRETCHED

So I've known temporary homeless people but I've never known someone who has been homeless for an extended period of time so I am truly ignorant on the subject. I saw something on Facebook about gift bags for homeless people including bar soap, deodorant, toothpaste and some snacks. The thing is I would think it might be somewhat condescending and some of the comments indicated as much. Others argued that it was a good thing to do and would be appreciated. I don't know but I'd personally rather give money to an organization that works with the homeless rather than do something that might offend someone. I was surprised though that so many people were upset at the simple question as to whether it was offensive or not. They figured it was a good thing and that was that.

I'd think things like warm socks, hats, gloves, snacks, etc might be in the safe zone but I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm 

What were the reasons people gave for it being offensive? I mean I guess it depends on the person's specific situation, but if they don't have anywhere to live they probably don't have much money and those basic necessities can get expensive. Giving money to an organization is great, but sometimes it's nice to just help out an individual.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I can only speak for the culture of the area where I lived when I was homeless and just-barely-not-homeless, but in that area it was definitely considered offensive to just walk up to a homeless person that you didn't know and hand them stuff. The "correct" way to do it, if you wanted to really help someone and avoid being rude, was to leave whatever it was you wanted to give in a conspicuous location (like next to a popular dumpster when nobody was around) and then GO AWAY so that someone could safely get whatever it was you'd left there without having to interact with you directly. People do really appreciate the stuff, but it's degrading to have some stranger walk up and hand you things, no matter how well-intentioned they are.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:44 pm 

that makes sense. i've given stuff to homeless people before, but I always ask if they need or want something. I've never just handed someone something and expected them to take it. once, i had a pack of new socks in my purse and i saw a homeless guy not wearing any socks, so I asked if he would like some socks and he said yes, so I gave them to him. I can definitely see how just handing someone a bag, assuming they needed it, would be rude. and i can also see how someone might not want to accept stuff, so it'd be easier to leave it for someone to find in some situations. I guess it's just all about paying attention and realizing that every person has different needs. If i wanted to do that, i might ask someone if they needed anything from CVS or something and then getting that stuff for them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah. It's the kind of thing that may also differ depending on where you are...like, the cultural norm in the inner city of Indianapolis (where I was) may be totally different from what it is where you are, or in some other place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 pm 

that's true! i never really thought about it varying regionally since I've only lived in three different cities.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:11 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I've heard of those bags, but really the only thing I heard about them was the girl that did a video on hers said she made them for when someone specifically comes up to her asking for something.

I can definitely see how it could be offensive to just walk up and hand it to someone without even bothering to talk to them first because that'd be kind of rude no matter what. But I doubt that's what most people would do. Or maybe I just think that because I'm an introvert and give when asked but have trouble just volunteering help out of nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

interrobang?! wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
Hmmm... PPK chip crawl in Glasgow?

HELLO.

This sounds like the best thing ever. Ever ever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

dropscone wrote:
Whoa, I've stayed up too late making contributions for the potluck I'm going to on Wednesday and now I don't feel tired. Stupid body - hit midnight and it seems to think "ah well, I haven't gone to bed yet so it must be a new day!".

Ha! My body does that, too.

Also, that sounds like one hell of a delicious potluck. When I hear "potluck" I flash back to jello salads and mix cakes, not ginger beer and chocolate-dipped florentines. Go you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

My boyfriend is away for a week for a business trip and I am miserably failing the "am I as non-codependent as I like to think I am?" test. It turns out I am in a bad way. I could be using this time to be SO MUCH MORE productive, but instead I am sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket, cuddling with the cat while watching bad TV, and making stew. So ridiculous.

I am staying extra late at work tomorrow night to get a bunch of stuff done (I am way more productive at my desk than I am at home) and then getting dinner/drinks with a lady friend, so that'll be something at least. I'm so embarrassed by how much I miss him and how much this is turning me into a pathetic lump.

On the plus side, STEW.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:29 pm 

DC, I totally get that. I've lived alone before, but now when my husband is gone I sleep with the hall light on and basically just sit around imagining all the horrible things that could happen to me alone. I also don't really cook for just me and end up just eating toast and popcorn. It makes me feel really crappy about myself sometimes!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have this problem:
I hate attention in a classroom setting, but I also hate sitting in silence while a professor waits for participation from a group.

so I end up talking. a lot. to the degree that my professor, after I waited the requisite 5 minutes of excruciating silence to answer his question, exclaimed "wow, you know everything"

I wanted to crawl under my seat. bahh.

(he later explained that he wasn't saying I was a know it all, but rather that I had a good knowledge base in regard to the subject, but STILL)

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:27 am 
WELFARIST!

Sounds like my college experience. Then everyone thinks you're super smart but in reality you just, you know, read the text.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:46 am 
WELFARIST!

I have been looking at new phones and service for weeks and I think I've settled on 2-3 phones, now I just need to choose one. I've been researching them for over 5 hours. Does anyone use Virgin Mobile or have used it in the past? What was your experience like?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lepelaar wrote:
acr wrote:
chip crawl is a thing i can imagine doing with good friends or alone, but maybe not with people i wasn't sure of. in all cases i would have a liter of veganaise in a holster.

Fixed that for you!

lepelaar, awesome bunny Anya or not, but you do NOT "fix" malt vinegar.
Great. reminded me again that the only vinegar Kettle crisps we get here are balsamico, which just doesn't compare to the anmazing sea salt & malt vinegar ridge crisps... *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

interrobang?! wrote:
I don't think I could manage 7 portions of chips in a few hours

You, lady, are just not trying. You don't win the marathon just by rocking up on the day with a pair of daps in your handbag - you need to put in good, solid hours of training. Now get your finger out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish wrote:
Plus it plays into an unfortunate stereotype about Germans in many cases.

i think this is really true too.
However, I have found the true reason why: I blame it all on Fahrvergnügen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

booberthefraggle wrote:
I have this problem:
I hate attention in a classroom setting, but I also hate sitting in silence while a professor waits for participation from a group.

so I end up talking. a lot. to the degree that my professor, after I waited the requisite 5 minutes of excruciating silence to answer his question, exclaimed "wow, you know everything"

I wanted to crawl under my seat. bahh.

(he later explained that he wasn't saying I was a know it all, but rather that I had a good knowledge base in regard to the subject, but STILL)

Ugh totes feel like this in like half of my classes, I sympathize.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 am 
WRETCHED

ijustdiedinside wrote:
What were the reasons people gave for it being offensive? I mean I guess it depends on the person's specific situation, but if they don't have anywhere to live they probably don't have much money and those basic necessities can get expensive. Giving money to an organization is great, but sometimes it's nice to just help out an individual.

I think the idea that you are saying they need deodorant and soap. I guess I'd think something like a homeless organization would know better what is 'ok' and what isn't. Also the packs someone was showing had really strong scents and it was mixed with food. If you are going to give someone soap, I'd say go for ivory or something unscented.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Phoenix wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
acr wrote:
chip crawl is a thing i can imagine doing with good friends or alone, but maybe not with people i wasn't sure of. in all cases i would have a liter of veganaise in a holster.

Fixed that for you!

lepelaar, awesome bunny Anya or not, but you do NOT "fix" malt vinegar.

Sure you do, when there's veganaise around! Or better yet, veganaise mixed with sriracha!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I have been looking at new phones and service for weeks and I think I've settled on 2-3 phones, now I just need to choose one. I've been researching them for over 5 hours. Does anyone use Virgin Mobile or have used it in the past? What was your experience like?

I use Virgin Mobile! I like that my service is only $25/month (although I think they may have changed the cheapest plan to $35/month, but I still get the other one since I started using it last year). With that, I get 300 minutes, which I rarely use all of, and unlimited text/data/web whatever. If I had a smart phone, it would be totally awesome, because I'm always hearing people with iPhones talk about how Pandora uses up all their data. I can't afford to actually buy a smart phone right now, but there are some decent ones (mostly Samsung?) for Virgin Mobile. I also rarely have problem with service, and I live in West Virginia. Granted, I do live in one of the more populated areas here, but I don't have problems with it when I got visit my parents in nowheresville, either.

My one complaint: Their website SUCKS. It is basically impossible to use on a mobile device (when I try to use my iPod touch for paying the bill), and it's not intuitive at all. For example, I wanted to get a plan with more minutes last month because I knew I was going to have to use them for calling around for job-related stuff, so I paid the higher amount. And then I still just had 300 minutes, with a 20 credit for the next month... Turns out, you have to tell them you want to change your plan first, then pay the higher amount. That may seem like, duh, to other people, but not for me, especially since there isn't any button to click in the payment area for changing one's plan.

Anyway, aside from that, I really love it. It's mega cheap, and when all you're doing is texting, like me, it's such a pain to have to pay for more minutes than you need.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1282, 1283, 1284, 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288 ... 1824  Next