| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1308 ... 1873  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Mars wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
I just remember having to sit an inch from the TV to watch CHiPs. (why did I like that when I was 7?)

Duh

I am very bitter that the DVD releases stopped after season 2.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

j-dub wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Me being me, of course this managed to be the expensive Gucci frame, but the whole thing was only $220! The cheapest glasses I've ever had, probably. I'm so used to my lenses costing an absolute fortune (last pair, the Chanel frames were free but the lenses were jaw dropping.y expensive at Lens Crafters)

I think Lens Crafters is also crazy expensive. I went in looking for glasses, found frames I liked (about $220, yikes!), asked about the lenses and was told the lenses themself would be $340!! Went online to Clearly Contacts and paid $165 for the whole shebang! And I'm pretty sure my lenses were about $20 of that.

I think they have positioned themselves as more high end these days? My days there were 10-20 yrs ago. My mom went there for her last pair because she needed them right away and they were expensive. But, back in the day, I think they were pretty competitive because we either went there or the military discount store on base. Since I went there all the damn time, we always had coupons and the optometrist always gave lots of freebies etc.

I also could never get the one hour deals because my lenses had to be specially ground. Technology has sure advanced! Literally, my glasses were at least 2" thick, no joke. And they had to do all sorts of finagling to grind them properly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:27 am 
Seagull of the PPK

zwingtip wrote:
Learning to speak Old English is sort of the same thing as doing econ homework and writing a summer research proposal, right?

beware, young soldier. i thought the same thing and ended up leaving thoughts of med school in the dust and acquiring an insatiable urge for new languages and the tendency to quote long stretches of guttural poetry.
Also, unless you already speak Latin or German (or your teacher is really, really lenient with mistakes in declensions) it ain't nearly the same as fighting your way through Chaucer [and NOTHING like Shakespeare]. Only said with love, because i've been there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:45 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

torque is wise.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

lavawitch wrote:
Me being me, of course this managed to be the expensive Gucci frame, but the whole thing was only $220! The cheapest glasses I've ever had, probably. I'm so used to my lenses costing an absolute fortune (last pair, the Chanel frames were free but the lenses were jaw dropping.y expensive at Lens Crafters)

Are lenses just cheaper in general now, or do high prescriptions just not cost a fortune extra anymore?

I was wondering when you were talking about your contacts whether you had glasses or not. I'm glad you found a nice pair - I got really nice frames at Costco last year and need new reading glasses this year. I don't think it's in general, it's Costco. Their prices for glasses are phenomenal compared to other places. My insurance only covers $150 but my youngest son just got frames and lenses for $140. The glasses I got last year were $240 and they had a special deal on transition lenses for $10 extra. The savings on glasses for the three glasses wearers in my family paid for the membership and more.

I have also bought a pair of glasses from Zenni Optical but it's a bit tricky not being able to try them on first and the frames are not the quality that Costco and other bricks-and-mortar places have (I don't know if that's true in general or just this pair of frames. They are fine for reading glasses, though and were super cheap and fast when my old ones broke).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

torque wrote:
zwingtip wrote:
Learning to speak Old English is sort of the same thing as doing econ homework and writing a summer research proposal, right?

beware, young soldier. i thought the same thing and ended up leaving thoughts of med school in the dust and acquiring an insatiable urge for new languages and the tendency to quote long stretches of guttural poetry.
Also, unless you already speak Latin or German (or your teacher is really, really lenient with mistakes in declensions) it ain't nearly the same as fighting your way through Chaucer [and NOTHING like Shakespeare]. Only said with love, because i've been there.

It may be too late already! Over the past 3 years 'I've gone from I'm awful at the humanities' to 'I could be good and I do enjoy it' to declaring a second major in medieval history to a desire to get a graduate degree in it. I'm applying to medieval lit MA programs in the fall. But really I have zero hope of actually learning Old English right now except for entertainment and undying love for Beowulf. It sounds so pretty when Middle English Prof speaks it, but wow is it a completely different language.
A more grounded in reality idea is looking for an intensive short course in medieval latin right now. The real undergraduate level test of medieval language knowledge is going to come next year when writing a senior thesis on the Middle English text of The Travels of John Mandeville. Mostly this plan involves never reading it out loud (oh god bad memories of having to recite Gawain and Chaucer in class) and liberal consultation of the MED and modern english translation.

Side note: is Shakespeare meant to be easier than Chaucer? I've always found Chaucer less mysterious.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

oooh sounds like great fun! i hope you find what you're looking for!

[re shakespeare/chaucer.....i think whether you find one easier or not depends on how easily you can keep your focus if you're constantly looking at footnotes or definitions or whatever (or if you happen to have French on board, as a lot of that vocab comes from there). along those lines, as a teacher, i think reading/discussing a section of shakespeare in a HS english class is much more realistic than reading a part of the Canterbury Tales, for example, which would require some really motivated students.]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

j-dub wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I think Lens Crafters is also crazy expensive. I went in looking for glasses, found frames I liked (about $220, yikes!), asked about the lenses and was told the lenses themself would be $340!! Went online to Clearly Contacts and paid $165 for the whole shebang! And I'm pretty sure my lenses were about $20 of that.

I love Clearly Contacts! I got four pairs of glasses for free on those promotions where you only pay shipping. I get contacts from there as well, which are about 85% cheaper than what they'd be in a non-magical internet wonderful Trevor Lindon-sponsored world. I don't do the designer frames, but I like my glasses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:37 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

vijita wrote:
j-dub wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I love Clearly Contacts! I got four pairs of glasses for free on those promotions where you only pay shipping. I get contacts from there as well, which are about 85% cheaper than what they'd be in a non-magical internet wonderful Trevor Lindon-sponsored world. I don't do the designer frames, but I like my glasses.

I am lucky enough to have vision covered through work and my $165 included designer frames! <--Only because they were the first pair I found that I liked.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

Wow, I just looked up Clearly Contacts and it's the same exact thing as Coastal! http://www.coastal.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Someone needs to get here and take the batteries out of my dog. Why oh why oh why do German Shepherds like to pace? It's driving me insane!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I couldn't find my contacts any cheaper online without buying 4 or more boxes, which would have cost a fortune. And even then, it was only less than $5 cheaper than Costco. I got Ciba Dailies. I'm not thrilled about the added expense, but my eyes already feel so much better.

I didn't deliberately get designer frames. At Costco, they are all mixed up and not really labeled. After I found the perfect ones, it was like "oh of COURSE I ended up with the expensive ones." I think they said their frames are all between $39 and $149.

I'll have to look around then to see if I can get cheap sunglasses for driving on days I wear glasses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just checked Coastal. The Ciba dailies are $54/ 90 day box or $45 if you buy 8 boxes (year supply). Costco is $45 for any amount.

If you have a Costco nearby or a membership, it's really worth it for contacts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:23 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I pay £13 a month for my (eta: monthly) disposable contacts from an optician here and get free glasses every two years (free if they're under £70 all-in, half-price if they're more than that, I think. It's usually under £70 unless going the fancy designer route.) I really need to get new glasses as I haven't gotten around to replacing these ones for like 6 years or something ridiculous and the prescription is way off what my eyes are currently at. Even if I didn't have that deal, the cheapest glasses here are £25 including lenses. That said, I don't get my lenses thinned as I'm not willing (affording) to pay the extra levy.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

One of my profs told me about a news article that she thought would help me with one of the assignments I'm doing for her class. And I am having a real bisque of a time finding it. I want to slam my head repeatedly on my desk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The monthlies really are so much cheaper. I've always paid about $90/ year. Unfortunately, I seem to have damaged my eyes with them. I had my last pair in too long because I kept putting off going for new ones.

I'm just amazed at how cheap glasses are now since it was such an enormous burden on my family when I was a kid.

I didn't pay extra for thinner lenses since they said it would be negligible on my prescription. But maybe this pair will close! My old glasses have never ever folded shut enough to go in storage cases because of the lense thickness.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

interrobang?! wrote:
I pay £13 a month for my (eta: monthly) disposable contacts from an optician here and get free glasses every two years (free if they're under £70 all-in, half-price if they're more than that, I think. It's usually under £70 unless going the fancy designer route.) I really need to get new glasses as I haven't gotten around to replacing these ones for like 6 years or something ridiculous and the prescription is way off what my eyes are currently at. Even if I didn't have that deal, the cheapest glasses here are £25 including lenses. That said, I don't get my lenses thinned as I'm not willing (affording) to pay the extra levy.

How did you work that out? Are you part of a scheme or is that something that was introduced with so little fanfare that I never heard of it? I know eye exams are free, but we paid £400 for Mike's last pair of glasses (which was about 5 years ago, and he got designer frames) and £200 for mine (though we both got the bogof deal at ... the one that isn't SpecSavers, can't remember the name, but they pretty much always have a bogof deal going on). We both need new glasses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:47 pm 
Mediocre Tart

rachell37 wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

How did you work that out? Are you part of a scheme or is that something that was introduced with so little fanfare that I never heard of it? I know eye exams are free, but we paid £400 for Mike's last pair of glasses (which was about 5 years ago, and he got designer frames) and £200 for mine (though we both got the bogof deal at ... the one that isn't SpecSavers, can't remember the name, but they pretty much always have a bogof deal going on). We both need new glasses.

It's just Specsavers? I've been with 'em since I was 10, contacts since 13, and I pay a direct debit of £13/month for contacts that come in the post and get a letter every so often telling me I should come in for my free/reduced price glasses? I really should take them up on that some time...

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am a rescue volunteer, my home is not a shelter. Emailing me at 3:30pm on a Sunday and asking if you can bring 10 rats to surrender is not sufficient notice. Especially after we haven't heard from you for a week and you weren't replying to any emails RE possibilities for drop off.

We are doing YOU the favour. We aren't dying to take in 10 more rats.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

A page I subscribe to posted about a country singer who committed suicide today and the responses have been absolutely forking awful. I cannot believe how cold and horrible people are. They're calling her selfish for committing suicide, said it was no big deal because of starving Africans, called it natural selection...I just can't believe people. Clearly, clearly these people have not suffered from clinical depression or something similar because I cannot imagine someone who's been through that pain saying that suicide is selfish.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Mr. Shankly wrote:
A page I subscribe to posted about a country singer who committed suicide today and the responses have been absolutely forking awful. I cannot believe how cold and horrible people are. They're calling her selfish for committing suicide, said it was no big deal because of starving Africans, called it natural selection...I just can't believe people. Clearly, clearly these people have not suffered from clinical depression or something similar because I cannot imagine someone who's been through that pain saying that suicide is selfish.

I work in mental health and even people working in the field haven't a clue about what it is actually like to have a mental illness. The amount of times that I've had to sit through conversations about how people with "issues" shouldn't be working in mental health is unbelievable and incredibly frustrating. They see people with mental health problems as "weak and vulnerable" not as people that have been handed down shitty genes or people that have experienced a hell of a lot of difficulties in life. Stigma is well and truly alive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

GAH! Between the horse-meat scandal and now with Dutch-sourced meat being pulled from Swedish markets because of EHEC, I can't watch the news, go to a news source online, or check my FB feed without running across images of hanging carcasses. Do not want!

(Also, I have no idea how anyone can see those images and still want to eat meat, but I know I did when I was omni. My mind boggles now.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lepelaar wrote:
GAH! Between the horse-meat scandal and now with Dutch-sourced meat being pulled from Swedish markets because of EHEC, I can't watch the news, go to a news source online, or check my FB feed without running across images of hanging carcasses. Do not want!

Erf. And the worst offenders today have been vegan-related pages on FB. I can't hide one organization's post without another one reposting the same article complete with hanging carcasses.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We find out about our house today! Or our realtor thinks so. I have no idea what time though, so I'm going to be anxious as shiitake all day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 am 
Impressive boner

Put so much stuff into my protein shake that it turned into pudding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307, 1308 ... 1873  Next