| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1308, 1309, 1310, 1311, 1312, 1313, 1314 ... 1828  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Submitting an optional revision of a paper that already got an A: reasonable thing to do because I do honestly think it could improve and want to address the prof's comments? Or look like a perfectionist crasshole who doesn't know how to leave well enough alone?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

could you just meet with the prof and let them know you appreciate their comments and will use in the in the future to avoid making them regrade your whole paper?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Possibly. I get anxious about meeting with her because she kind of sees a lot of me as the only medievalist currently on campus (working on independent project continued from last term, turn up on her doorstep a lot saying 'so I had this insane idea for a paper', planning an independent study with her next term) and I don't want to outstay my welcome. Maybe revise and make it clear that it's an "only if you have time to take a look, not looking for a regrade" thing?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't know. I've been that prof (well, grader -- not yet a prof!). I think it's better if you use the comments to make the next thing you write stellar, rather than re-working a thing both of you have already read. From the way it sounds, she'll already know how dedicated and awesome you are.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:49 pm 
A Bad Person

zwingtip wrote:
Submitting an optional revision of a paper that already got an A: reasonable thing to do because I do honestly think it could improve and want to address the prof's comments? Or look like a perfectionist crasshole who doesn't know how to leave well enough alone?

Were you specifically given the option to revise it or was it a class-wide thing? If you can't improve your grade any further, I don't think it warrants the effort. You've already done enough to justify the highest grade you can receive. If the option to revise it is class-wide, then it's not really meant for you. It's a chance for the others who didn't do so well to improve their grade. On the other hand, if the option to revise was just for you or under circumstances only applying to you, then you should do it because it's not really optional.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:49 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

What about rewriting it but not turning it in again? Would you get something out of working through the professor's suggestions even if you don't get further feedback?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

lutin wrote:
I don't know. I've been that prof (well, grader -- not yet a prof!). I think it's better if you use the comments to make the next thing you write stellar, rather than re-working a thing both of you have already read. From the way it sounds, she'll already know how dedicated and awesome you are.

Yeah, this was always what I did. Use their criticism toward the next thing. I think it's better to move forward than go back in almost every case life presents (including graded papers) and an A is a STELLAR mark. If it really means a ton to you though, by all means, resubmit it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

zwingtip wrote:

If it's something you care about enough to put more energy into, do it! Don't let the fact that it's schoolwork kill your passion. If it feels like drudgery, don't do it...but if you really want to do it, just pretend it isn't schoolwork and have at it ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

brian wrote:
Were you specifically given the option to revise it or was it a class-wide thing?.

Class-wide, so you're right she probably means "no, not you"

You guys are probably right with the don't resubmit. Put that energy into finishing the independent project (expanding an existing paper into a writing sample for grad school apps)? I'm just obsessive on this topic because misogyny in medieval romance is REALLY AWESOME and I'm really insecure about my writing. Maybe take her up on offer to talk about the passage some more at a later date.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:10 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Work on the independent project and make it awesome. If you're still concerned about the passage later, talk to her about it -- that's even potentially more fruitful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:35 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ack. my husbands birthday party is on saturday, but i'm juggling all this stuff i have to do to get ready to start my new job. I can't go too crazy with cooking (like i want to) so does this sound good? I think this will be manageable.

sanctuary ranch dip with potato chips, carrots and celery
hummus and pita
mini phyllo cups with spinach/tofu ricotta/cream cheese mixture inside
fruit salad
carrot cake cupcakes

I think he invited 20 people, but hopefully not that many people will come at once because our apartment is pretty small!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ack. my husbands birthday party is on saturday, but i'm juggling all this stuff i have to do to get ready to start my new job. I can't go too crazy with cooking (like i want to) so does this sound good? I think this will be manageable.

hummus and pita
fruit salad
carrot cake cupcakes

I think he invited 20 people, but hopefully not that many people will come at once because our apartment is pretty small!

I want to eat ALL THE THINGS

So, yeah, sounds good :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

YUM SO HUNGRY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I took the cover off the dog bed to wash it, and there are these dark smudges (like dark grey/black) on the mattress part. How would I tell if it is mold vs. dirt or something else? Obviously I don't want my dog sleeping anywhere that might possibly have mold, especially with her allergies! But this was a $400 bed, so I can't afford to just toss it if it's only dirt. (I saved up the money to buy it for Sable because she needed orthopedic.) I sniffed the spots, and they don't smell like anything... and sniffing it hasn't killed me (yet).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:34 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

The tub was reglazed today, so we had to get the cats out of the apartment. They survived a day in the laundry room at my in-laws. Poor Tristan was SO upset and scared when we went to pick them up, he was hiding in a box and there was diarrhea in the litter box we gave them. He cried the whole way home. It was really, really cute though, when we came back home and opened the carrier, he sprung out, his tail flipped up and he got immediately happy again.
Gershwin is a tuffcat, so the whole day was hardly any reason to bat a whisker.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 pm 
Semen Strong

RC can you use bleach and see if it kills the mold/dirt? Can you open up the dog bed? Is there any manufacturers info as to whether the stuffing is mold resistant?

PPPP that is really sad and sweet about Tristan. Sadorable.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:
RC can you use bleach and see if it kills the mold/dirt? Can you open up the dog bed? Is there any manufacturers info as to whether the stuffing is mold resistant?

I'm afraid to use bleach because of Tegan's respiratory issues (I'm sensitive to bleach fumes, so I'm afraid she would be too). I have vinegar and nature's miracle and stuff like that... not sure if any if that would kill mold? It's a tempurpedic brand mattress, so no stuffing, just foam. It does have a completely waterproof liner and then a cover over that, so I don't think there's any way it could have gotten damp.

I've been looking into hypoallergenic dog beds for her anyway, I just don't have the money to buy one right now (and I hate to get rid of this one because it was so damn expensive!).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:02 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Sadorable! It so was. And he's been such a suck all night. Since we can't use the shower/tub to let it cure, I had a big plastic bowl of hot water I was dipping my feet in to soothe them. Tristan came up and started drinking the hot water! Foot tea. Then he mewed and rubbed against my leg. Cutiepants!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 pm 

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I'm afraid to use bleach because of Tegan's respiratory issues (I'm sensitive to bleach fumes, so I'm afraid she would be too). I have vinegar and nature's miracle and stuff like that... not sure if any if that would kill mold? It's a tempurpedic brand mattress, so no stuffing, just foam. It does have a completely waterproof liner and then a cover over that, so I don't think there's any way it could have gotten damp.

I've been looking into hypoallergenic dog beds for her anyway, I just don't have the money to buy one right now (and I hate to get rid of this one because it was so damn expensive!).

I would clean it with vinegar (it's pretty good against mold). If the stain comes back, it's definitely mold. If it doesn't, it might have been dirt or or might have been mold that you successfully killed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'll try the vinegar tomorrow. I grabbed one of the downstairs dog beds to use for now. Tegan walked into her crate and looked at me like "what the fizzle is this? This isn't tempurpedic!" She is now lying on top of her giant teddy bear so she doesn't have to lie directly on the non-tempurpedic bed. What a diva.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 am 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:

hummus and pita
fruit salad
carrot cake cupcakes

YUM! Except for the celery.

I am so annoyed. My aunt RSVP'd to my wedding saying that she and her (jerky) husband would come only for the ceremony, because the food at the dinner will be all vegan. I just think that's so selfish. I mean, we are paying for everything ourselves, and the food is going to be forking awesome! Plus she's one of the only guests invited (out of a mere 32) who actually lives in town, so there's really no excuse. I guess I should just be happy that it's two less people to feed, but ugh. It's all naturally vegan food: dal, garlic naan, celeriac kofta, two salads, a bunch of accompaniments and chutneys. Nothing terrifying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 am 

vijita wrote:
I am so annoyed. My aunt RSVP'd to my wedding saying that she and her (jerky) husband would come only for the ceremony, because the food at the dinner will be all vegan. I just think that's so selfish. I mean, we are paying for everything ourselves, and the food is going to be forking awesome! Plus she's one of the only guests invited (out of a mere 32) who actually lives in town, so there's really no excuse. I guess I should just be happy that it's two less people to feed, but ugh. It's all naturally vegan food: dal, garlic naan, celeriac kofta, two salads, a bunch of accompaniments and chutneys. Nothing terrifying.

That's incredibly rude! On the bright side, no jerky aunt husband to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

allularpunk wrote:
Whoa, CQ! That dream is somehow way worse than mine. Sounds anxiety-ridden :(

Yours sounds pretty awful too! I hope you sleep better tonight! I hope I sleep better tonight also, but dreams like that make me so afraid to go to sleep that I dunno if I'll be able to. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Great, more idiots. Just what I need today.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:44 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Vijita, sounds like you are better off without them there then. They would probably make faces and complain constantly if they came to the dinner.

RC.... my bet is it on being dirt. Lexi always picks up weird asparagus looking dirt. Someone else said wash it and see if it comes back.... I would do that. That bed is far to expensive to just toss!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1308, 1309, 1310, 1311, 1312, 1313, 1314 ... 1828  Next