| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321, 1322 ... 1769  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:03 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Didn't Keisha Castle-Hughes (of Whale Rider fame) have some similar terrible jokes made at her expense??

I don't know, I'm probably the wrong person to message about this because I use the word in a very offhanded, relaxed way and I don't have the same reaction to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:07 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Fee wrote:
Dude, google "Suri Cruise is a" cause i just did and the suggested search is "little bisque" "brat" "spoiled brat" "lipstick lady" and "mess"

And now I just feel bad for all the little girls ever.

I thought that was part of the joke, too. I know D. Fanning came in for a lot of commentary whenever she was nominated for awards and S. Cruise doesn't even do any acting that I am aware of and still gets negative comments. (Real comments, not satire from the onion) Lots of kid actors get crepe said about them for no real reason (that anyone would admit to much) and going for the worst thing that you could say sort of made of fun of that whole cutting down kid actors for no real reason trend.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:01 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofulish wrote:
Isn't the c-word considered one of the worst words you can use for a woman in the US? I know that its a pretty mild insult in Australia, but I thought it would be a magnitude worse than "bisque" or "brat."

But, I agree that its not nice to call anyone names. :)

Yeah...I know it's used more casually in other countries* but generally in the US it's considered to be so offensive** that even people who comfortably use other offensive words would draw the line at "croissant".

*PPKchat is another country, duh
**I personally think it's an awesome word, but I still would never call someone, especially someone I didn't know, double especially a 9-year-old girl, a "croissant"!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 am 
Chard Martyr

I think calling her a bisque or a brat would be much worse because those are words that might actually be used seriously by someone trying to degrade a little girl. No one would ever call a cute 9 year old (actress or not) a croissant. It's so over the top it's funny, and as panders said it's kind of mocking the stuff that people might say seriously about her.
I like over the top humor like that, though.

I didn't read that article, but I can absolutely see the same thing being said about dakota fanning if she were 9 right now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:32 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I'm sitting in a workshop that is for a group of people I have nothing to do with, other than being the program organizer. I now realize how much I like to just sit at my desk doing my job the whole day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The woman in the car beside me just nearly took my wing mirror off my car getting out of her car. Then she pulled out her car again to repark and pulled out in front of another car nearly causing an accident. Then got out of her car again hitting off my wing mirror. THEN opened her rear door and hit the door off my car not once but 3 times.

I think I'm going to move my car before she returns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:30 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I think calling her a bisque or a brat would be much worse because those are words that might actually be used seriously by someone trying to degrade a little girl. No one would ever call a cute 9 year old (actress or not) a croissant. It's so over the top it's funny, and as panders said it's kind of mocking the stuff that people might say seriously about her.

I didn't read that article, but I can absolutely see the same thing being said about dakota fanning if she were 9 right now.

I think this is spot on. Calling her a brat or a bisque might actually ring of a bit of seriousness, but the joke is the absolute absurdity of calling a sweet, gorgeous little girl a croissant. I won't say it's tasteful, but it's meant to be over the top. I think that kind of stuff is funny though.
And I think if D. Fanning were still a young girl, The Onion would totally make a comment like that about her.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 am 
ugh

Tofulish wrote:
I think there are also problematic racial overtones. As others have pointed out, no one calls Dakota Fanning, Suri Cruise or other children names like that.

I thought this was a pretty insightful piece on that: http://www.forharriet.com/2013/02/for-q ... e-and.html

Love this article!

Moon wrote:
She's being called this because she's the youngest actress to ever be nominated and that puts her in a bit of a special spotlight. She could be white or green or purple polka dotted and The Onion would have come up with the same terrible joke. But the fact that a lot of people are saying this is a race issue really bother me because it wouldn't be mentioned at all if she was of a different race.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but the whole "white or green or purple polka dotted" thing seems kinda.. trivializing? condescending? I dunno.

I don't agree that this has nothing to do with race, but I do agree it wouldn't be mentioned if she was "of a different race" - if by "different race" you mean white. If that were the case, why should they mention it? White people aren't racially oppressed.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 am 
Dead by dawn

paprikapapaya wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I think this is spot on. Calling her a brat or a bisque might actually ring of a bit of seriousness, but the joke is the absolute absurdity of calling a sweet, gorgeous little girl a croissant. I won't say it's tasteful, but it's meant to be over the top. I think that kind of stuff is funny though.
And I think if D. Fanning were still a young girl, The Onion would totally make a comment like that about her.

I agree, mostly. Diva or brat or bisque wouldn't have read as satire in the slightest. I mean, Suri Cruise has done absolutely zero to put herself in the public eye and people are (evidently) calling her a bisque online. So I can't think of another word they could have chosen that would have made it clear it was satire. On the other hand, I think it's in poor taste because she can't be in on the joke. Saying that about an 18 year old actress who is so universally thought of as sweet and sunshine-y that calling her a croissant is pure ridiculousness? That might be funny because she has the maturity to understand that the joke isn't about her at all, but about our culture. I don't think a 9 year old is equipped to fully understand satire (I mean, I don't remember when I first encountered A Modest Proposal in school, but it sure wasn't 4th grade!) I do think that they'd have made that joke about any child actress who happened to be in that position (Anna Paquin's nomination years ago comes to mind... if the twitterverse had existed then, I think this exact joke could have happened.) But I realize that's from the perspective of someone who's never been on the receiving end of racism.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 am 
Chard Martyr

yes, i agree with that, monkeytoes. i definitely think it was in poor taste and i agree tht it wouldn't be even remotely funny to her, so that definitely takes away from it. it was a dumb thing to post on the internet. like i said earlier, maybe best as a joke you say to your friends at home at your oscar party.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm working on editing a portrait of someone who has had a noticeable amount of plastic surgery, which involves zooming in really close and fixing blemishes (at her request) and the tautness of her skin is weirding me out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

someone stole my credit card number which I'm pretty sure is proof that my birthday is cursed BUT the only charge I have to dispute is for 73 cents so birthday miracle?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Birthday miracle. (Who steals a credit card to charge $0.73?)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 am 
Ninja Master

I was ill all last week / at the weekend and had no appetite. Well now it's back with a vengeance and I'm forking STARVING!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lutin wrote:

My theory is that they test it first to see if it works and they get away with it before trying for something big. I got a call that someone was trying to charge something over my credit limit, and I confirmed it wasn't me. Then the card company and I went over my pending charges, and the person had also charged lunch at a diner in California somewhere. Still not as weird as $0.73 though.

Glad it's not a huge headache! And happy birthday!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:53 am 
WRETCHED

ndpittman wrote:
lutin wrote:

My theory is that they test it first to see if it works and they get away with it before trying for something big. I got a call that someone was trying to charge something over my credit limit, and I confirmed it wasn't me. Then the card company and I went over my pending charges, and the person had also charged lunch at a diner in California somewhere. Still not as weird as $0.73 though.

Glad it's not a huge headache! And happy birthday!!

Yeah, somehow someone got my credit card number for one of my credit cards. They made a couple small charges, a decent sized charge at Lush (this is not the credit card I use when I order from Lush) and then a HUGE charge after. The CC company caught it and stopped all charges until they talked to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:09 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

When my credit card number was stolen there was a charge of 1.01 that was put through. Then an attempted charge of $70 ish (which the company blocked) and then they tried another $1. Then the credit card people called me. I was actually really impressed.

73 cents is weird, though!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:10 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah, it's kind of weird but they did 73 cents and then $1700 at Best Buy, then reversed it. So that's weird. But lucky since I don't have to dispute that one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

2x birthday luck. Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 am 
WRETCHED

And Happy Birthday Fee :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

happy birthday, fee! sorry about trying to steal 73 cents from you!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah my cc company blocked some charges on mine for a while and contacted me. It was actually me spending the money. Ever since they have gotten used to me using the card.

So I some how managed to snort tea up to my nose from my mouth. It feels awful in there right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My boyfriend just said he forgets how intelligent I am sometimes, which while meant as a compliment, just made me wonder how stupid I act in day-to-day life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The boards are back! Hooray! I was starting to panic!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:12 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Urgh. 'Invitation' for a smear test. Interestingly, they've reduced the age to 20. Before, it was 25 for your first. Hrmmmm. Still not enthused.

Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321, 1322 ... 1769  Next