| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1322, 1323, 1324, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1328 ... 1769  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

linanil wrote:
I bought some Nasyoa tofu on sale. I wanted some soup with tofu... I open up the tofu I bought (expires at end of March). It is moldy and gross.

I bet if you contacted their customer service, they would send you a bunch of coupons. I mean, if you want to buy their product again.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:40 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:
I bought some Nasyoa tofu on sale. I wanted some soup with tofu... I open up the tofu I bought (expires at end of March). It is moldy and gross.

I bet if you contacted their customer service, they would send you a bunch of coupons. I mean, if you want to buy their product again.

Yeah, I would definitely write them. If you still have the container you can even tell them the batch number and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:12 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm so sick. My throat feels like it's on fire.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:28 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:

Yeah, this is definitely worth a shot. I mean, even if you don't want coupons and stuff, if this is a thing that's threadworthy (and I think it was) customer complaints might be important.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

vijita wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
*As for my outfit, I have my roomy hemp pants on and my Voltaire shirt that says "Language Is A Very Difficult Thing To Put Into Words". I am resplendent in hemp! But it's not exactly office garb.

I <3 you and I 100% relate to everything you said. I am middle-management too and I wish I could take it all in resplendent in hemp!

Godspeed, nervous system!

<3 to you too!

My day is done and it wasn't so bad, actually, it was quite all right. I think I had anxiety about it and got a migraine though, because I kind of woke up with a headache, but the day turned out fine. Kinda nice being more social and taking a lot of calls and talking to everyone!

I don't know why I missed this post earlier, was probably scrolling the thread too quickly on my work break.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I wonder if you lose final Jeopardy! if you spell your answer wrong? I got today's question right, but I would have spelled it Neilson, not Nielsen (or however Nielsen from Neilsen ratings is properly spelled).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:56 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Limone wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:

Yeah, I would definitely write them. If you still have the container you can even tell them the batch number and stuff.

Warning: gross egg-related story

When I ate eggs, I bought one of those containers of flavoured egg whites that you just pour into a pan. So I went to go make it, poured it into the pan and this big glob chunk of...membrane? Fetus? I don't know...falls into the pan. I saved it, took a picture, sent it to the company and said I was super disgusted with their product. They sent me coupons for free product! Which I never used because that's forking gross and was never remedied.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:28 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Here's some crazy happen ramblestance. I was chattin' to my mum tonight about Thatcher and immigration and food deserts and all that jazz... which is just yer regular conversation (right??) And we touched on when I was a kid and she got a weekend job working in a shop. Now, all my life I presumed she got that job because she wanted to get back into working. But when she was chatting tonight about it it was to save us from homelessness. Huh. The things you don't realise that are going on when you're a kid, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

seitanicverses wrote:
I wonder if you lose final Jeopardy! if you spell your answer wrong? I got today's question right, but I would have spelled it Neilson, not Nielsen (or however Nielsen from Neilsen ratings is properly spelled).

that's an interesting question since every other question you say aloud. Hm...

I just googled it and apparently, if you spell in such a way that it would be pronounced correctly, then it's ok. That might not be the official rule though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

According to my husband, they will let you get away with it if you spell it wrong. I guess as long as the mispelling does not totally change the word, they give it to you, like Nielsen and Neilsen would be accepted. Not sure about Neilson.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

interrobang?! wrote:
Here's some crazy happen ramblestance. I was chattin' to my mum tonight about Thatcher and immigration and food deserts and all that jazz... which is just yer regular conversation (right??) And we touched on when I was a kid and she got a weekend job working in a shop. Now, all my life I presumed she got that job because she wanted to get back into working. But when she was chatting tonight about it it was to save us from homelessness. Huh. The things you don't realise that are going on when you're a kid, eh?

Wow, I feel like that happens sometimes. Like, my mother will reference things as if I know what she's talking about and it'll be news to me because I was oblivious and they were trying to hide it from me (some combo of the two). I don't have any particularly specific examples at the moment but I totally understand having this major thing dropped on you in what seems like a somewhat casual conversation!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

interrobang?! wrote:

my dad lost his job about a year after my parents bought their first house, when i was sixish and my younger sister was maybe a year old. before that, my mom had worked sometimes when she felt like it, as a nanny or something, but she didn't have a job job after i was born, because she wanted to be home with me. so they had no real savings or safety net of any sort. she wound up taking a job as a waitress, and later she tended bar at the same restaurant. she worked all the time after that; i barely remember seeing her between kindergarten and about tenth grade. it took my dad a long, long time to find steady full-time work again, but in the meantime he took any work he could get. i can remember going with him on weekends while he refinished floors, and visiting him at kmart where he worked at the snack bar for a while. i didn't realize until much, much later what a paycheck-to-paycheck existence it was, and how stressful it must have been to be living a life that was basically the exact opposite of the one they'd thought they were starting, and i can't give my parents enough credit for shielding us from all of that. i mentioned missing doritos once after i'd gone vegan, and my dad said, "i remember one time we had a little money left over at the end of the month, and i let you and your sister pick out a treat, and you got doritos and held them on the seat between you in the car while we drove home. god, they tasted so good." and i remembered it, too! but i never knew that we never got chips because we couldn't afford them. parents, man. i know they don't always get it right, but when they do . . .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:01 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm thinking of going to a tanning salon... Ugh I always thought those were the worst, and bad for your skin in the long run, and all that but... my acne (mostly back and chest) was so much better in the summer, and it's gotten really really bad. I think UVs might help keep my skin clear. I want to test that theory out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:50 am 
WRETCHED

acr wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

my dad lost his job about a year after my parents bought their first house, when i was sixish and my younger sister was maybe a year old. before that, my mom had worked sometimes when she felt like it, as a nanny or something, but she didn't have a job job after i was born, because she wanted to be home with me. so they had no real savings or safety net of any sort. she wound up taking a job as a waitress, and later she tended bar at the same restaurant. she worked all the time after that; i barely remember seeing her between kindergarten and about tenth grade. it took my dad a long, long time to find steady full-time work again, but in the meantime he took any work he could get. i can remember going with him on weekends while he refinished floors, and visiting him at kmart where he worked at the snack bar for a while. i didn't realize until much, much later what a paycheck-to-paycheck existence it was, and how stressful it must have been to be living a life that was basically the exact opposite of the one they'd thought they were starting, and i can't give my parents enough credit for shielding us from all of that. i mentioned missing doritos once after i'd gone vegan, and my dad said, "i remember one time we had a little money left over at the end of the month, and i let you and your sister pick out a treat, and you got doritos and held them on the seat between you in the car while we drove home. god, they tasted so good." and i remembered it, too! but i never knew that we never got chips because we couldn't afford them. parents, man. i know they don't always get it right, but when they do . . .

I had the opposite experience, I was pretty aware but I also know my mom enabled us to do a lot better than many people in our area. She worked 2 full time jobs for a while, which was really rough on her. I spent a lot of time at my grandparents and when I saw my mom during that time, she was always sleeping. Then she was able to stay with 1 job but she worked 2nd shift but she was alone so she'd often come get me (she worked at a school) and I'd play while she worked. Sometimes I helped her work when I got older. Then she got a day time job and later got a part time waitressing job. I'd help her roll the coins from her tips. I knew we didn't have a lot of money but we seemed to have enough after the first few years after my father left. And during winter, we'd move our beds out of the bedroom into the living room/dining room because we only had a space heater and heating the whole house (it was a 2 bedroom, 800 sq ft house) was expensive. And although at some point we did get food stamps, it was for a short period of time and then sometimes we'd stand in line for cheese/butter but my mom told me one day "we don't do that anymore".

The part that I didn't know until I was older that my parents lived in someone's garage at one point and paid rent. My father gambled and often would gamble away money needed for food and such. My father was an army cook so I think sometimes he was able to bring home some extras, but my mom said it was rough. I was too young to know/remember all this. Obviously she struggled after he left but I think she also didn't have to worry if money would be there or not because someone went gambling.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:10 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I wish I had been so unaware of what was happening or that my parents tried to protect me from seeing how things were. Instead I was always told, "ha, tough luck! We can't afford that." My parents constantly talked about money, and how we had none, and I got the third degree if I asked if I could get some supplies for a new school year. Meanwhile, my father worked a very hard factory job, and my mom laid in bed being an alcoholic, and could always afford a big bottle of wine each day, and my dad could afford drugs that he did infront of us.
I feel like that makes it less surprising that I'm a terribly anxious, straight edge, intensely motivated type. If I ever have children, I'd never have them until I know I could afford to give them all of that and more.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 am 
Semen Strong

A friend of my husband's OD'd last night, and the people he was with didn't call 911 or get him help, they just dumped his body in some bushes near the hospital.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:46 am 
Chard Martyr

Tofulish wrote:
A friend of my husband's OD'd last night, and the people he was with didn't call 911 or get him help, they just dumped his body in some bushes near the hospital.
Sorry to hear that, Tofulish. A few years ago we had a couple people die of OD when "friends" didn't take them to hospital. They ended up charged with and convicted of something related to the death and drugs. It was all awful.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mike and I decided to go to Ocean Terminal (it's sorta like a mall, but not on the scale of an American mall) to have hot chocolate at Starbucks. It's within walking distance, so I thought we would walk. But he didn't realise we were walking and didn't bring his gloves, so he asked if we could take the bus. So we got on the bus, I put my card on the card reader, and as I'm taking my card off, it sticks to my glove (somehow) and falls into the change thing. Like, straight down, no way to get it out. I called Lothian buses to find out if they'd be able to get it back to me, and the guy was really dismissive. He kept telling me that I wouldn't get it back for 2-3 business days, and I'm fine with that because I can walk to/from work, but he kept trying to convince me that it would be easier to (pay to) get a new one. I was like, no thanks, I'll wait. So now I have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to get my bus pass back.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I accidentally ate an entire tub of hummus for lunch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:53 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

jogirl wrote:
I accidentally ate an entire tub of hummus for lunch.

I did that a week ago. Masala hummus, so friggin tasty. Figured out it was like 700 calories worth of hummus.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 pm 

Tofulish wrote:

I'm so sorry. This is awful and hits way too close to home. I hope your husband is doing okay.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:22 pm 

interrobang?! wrote:

I've had this happen too. My mom was struggling with her alcoholism when I was young, and had several relapses involving prescription drugs. One day when I was still in my teens my dad just casually mentioned an instance when I was 11 and she stole a bottle of painkillers from him after surgery. Probably the only time I managed to stick up for myself and tell him there were things he should not be talking to me about.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Continuing the great buggery debate from the Pet Peeves thread, I just wanted to go YAY LINGUISTICS for a moment.

YAY LINGUISTICS

Bugger, spazz and fag mean different things on different sides of the pond. Be wary of how you use them, kids!

Also, fanny refers to a different "area" in the US than the UK.
Spoiler: show
In America, it's where poo comes from, in England, it's where babies come from.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:51 pm 
Impressive boner

I'd be very unhappy if some spazz kicked me in the fanny hard enough for me to drop my fag.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:59 pm 
WRETCHED

I think spazz is offensive enough here that it wouldn't be used as a word, unless you didn't care about being offensive.

Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1322, 1323, 1324, 1325, 1326, 1327, 1328 ... 1769  Next