| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1330, 1331, 1332, 1333, 1334, 1335, 1336 ... 1825  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Fee wrote:
Maybe everyone was just trying to ease my fears, but I was told by a lot of people while worrying about The Gap that companies are really understanding about gaps in resumes right now while unemployment is so high. I mean something really big - like a ten year gap - might make them ask, but a realistic looking-for-work gap isn't a big deal. And sure enough, no one I interviewed with asked about mine.

Same for me. After leaving Korea I basically sat on my asparagus for 4-ish months before even starting to look for work, and no one asked. I have a 8-month gap in my resume, but even for high-demand fields it doesn't seem to be a big deal these days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:20 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Damn fire alarm went off at work while I was on the toilet. Then I had the horrible dilemma of whether to wash my hands or go. I washed my hands. Luckily it was only a test alarm that they forgot to warn us about.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I challenged "that's so gay"-type homophobic language with some students today, and when they tried the usual twatty "it just means happy" bollocks I eventually said something like "well, I'm gay and I really don't like it". I'm surprised a voice didn't come from nowhere booming CRITICAL HIT, because that's basically how they reacted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

aelle wrote:
Fee wrote:
Maybe everyone was just trying to ease my fears, but I was told by a lot of people while worrying about The Gap that companies are really understanding about gaps in resumes right now while unemployment is so high. I mean something really big - like a ten year gap - might make them ask, but a realistic looking-for-work gap isn't a big deal. And sure enough, no one I interviewed with asked about mine.

Same for me. After leaving Korea I basically sat on my asparagus for 4-ish months before even starting to look for work, and no one asked. I have a 8-month gap in my resume, but even for high-demand fields it doesn't seem to be a big deal these days.

This is all good to hear. I guess I could always claim I took time off to travel or some shiitake, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

Gulliver wrote:
I challenged "that's so gay"-type homophobic language with some students today, and when they tried the usual twatty "it just means happy" bollocks I eventually said something like "well, I'm gay and I really don't like it". I'm surprised a voice didn't come from nowhere booming CRITICAL HIT, because that's basically how they reacted.

Good for you! I challenge this type of oppressive language every time I hear it, too. Sometimes I use myself as an example, but I mostly tell people not to use someone's identity in a disparaging way and to stop perpetuating the use of the phrase that way. Sometimes it goes smooth, other times I have left the room crying and mad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

Haha. There's an ad on the bus for one of those "crisis pregnancy" centers where they talk you into not having an abortion (the ad is really subtle.) Someone scrawled on it "This is anti-choice bullshiitake. Call Planned Parenthood."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Gulliver wrote:

This is awesome. Good for you.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:37 pm 
Semen Strong

monkeytoes wrote:
Haha. There's an ad on the bus for one of those "crisis pregnancy" centers where they talk you into not having an abortion (the ad is really subtle.) Someone scrawled on it "This is anti-choice bullshiitake. Call Planned Parenthood."

I really like that, but it kind of makes me really upset that where I live there are SO MANY "crisis pregnancy centers." We live right on the edge of a lower income town, where a lot of the people are minorities, poor or don't speak English as a first language, so it would be harder for them to find resources to support them in terminating a pregnancy, and they end up going right to these "centers." And in my "parents group" there are always a few people trying to get us to donate used baby clothing. When I said that people shouldn't because they were anti-choice the response was that it doesn't matter because "well the babies are already born, so why not give the clothes?" Except that you're continuing to help these people with their charade that they care about women.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Tofulish wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

I really like that, but it kind of makes me really upset that where I live there are SO MANY "crisis pregnancy centers." We live right on the edge of a lower income town, where a lot of the people are minorities, poor or don't speak English as a first language, so it would be harder for them to find resources to support them in terminating a pregnancy, and they end up going right to these "centers." And in my "parents group" there are always a few people trying to get us to donate used baby clothing. When I said that people shouldn't because they were anti-choice the response was that it doesn't matter because "well the babies are already born, so why not give the clothes?" Except that you're continuing to help these people with their charade that they care about women.

Here there is Options for Sexual Health (awesome pro-choice, sex positive organization that used to be PP), the Pregnancy Options Line (pro-choice nurses line that refers to abortion providers, and the Pregnancy Options Centre which is a CPC. I actually had to send out a mass email at work because a couple coworkers had unwittingly referred clients to that last one. They're sneaky!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Gulliver wrote:

Way to go, Gulliver! Doing the right thing, now THAT'S so gay. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Dudes. Brideshead Revisited (the TV show) is so good. And the way they film it is so beautiful. And the smirks Charles Ryder makes are so gourd-dammned sexy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I know I'm super late on board with the whole "oh hey, I should watch the West Wing" bit, but I am finally doing it and I can't get over the fact that this serious politician lady is also the pervy guidance counselor from "10 Things I Hate About You."

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:31 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I've taken too much codeine today for stomach pain, and now it still hurts but I feel nauseus and dizzy. I have to get up for work in less than 3 hours.

I'm so sick of this hurting. It's been so bad lately.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:35 am 

Mars wrote:
Dudes. Brideshead Revisited (the TV show) is so good. And the way they film it is so beautiful. And the smirks Charles Ryder makes are so gourd-dammned sexy.
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. We have it on DVD.

Don't bother with the film version that came out a few years ago, it chops the story down too much and destroys and subtly. The cast are good, but the film really would have benefited from being two hours longer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:36 am 
Dead by dawn

I am not getting a cold for my birthday. I am not getting a cold for my birthday. I am NOT getting a cold for my birthday. Just so we're clear, immune system.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 am 

DarthCupcake wrote:
I know I'm super late on board with the whole "oh hey, I should watch the West Wing" bit, but I am finally doing it and I can't get over the fact that this serious politician lady is also the pervy guidance counselor from "10 Things I Hate About You."

I am so jealous of anyone just starting to watch West Wing. I've watching the whole 7 series right through a couple of times and series one and two I've probably seen 30 times each.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 am 
WRETCHED

I've never watched West Wing but I'm not really into political dramas (although we are loving House of Cards right now).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:19 am 

Gulliver wrote:
The guys in question came and apologised to me, which I appreciate.

Efcliz wrote:
I am so jealous of anyone just starting to watch West Wing. I've watching the whole 7 series right through a couple of times and series one and two I've probably seen 30 times each.

My boyfriend introduced me to it, and I've probably seen every episode twice or more. I don't like the first series as much; too many aborted storylines and not-quite-right characters, but the rest is gold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:00 am 

Well yes, you could take Mandy out of series one and I'd be very happy. I follow all of the characters on Twitter and when Sam Seaborn retweeted me it was my proudest hour. I think In the Shadow of Two Gunmen part 1 and 2 is some of the best television ever. I dragged my husband to the cathedral from Two Cathedrals when we were in DC and took a cigarette end with me so I could drop it on the floor. Then I made us go to the White House so I could see where President Bartlet lives.

/WW nerd rant over

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:02 am 
Chard Martyr

Efcliz wrote:
Well yes, you could take Mandy out of series one and I'd be very happy. I follow all of the characters on Twitter and when Sam Seaborn retweeted me it was my proudest hour. I think In the Shadow of Two Gunmen part 1 and 2 is some of the best television ever. I dragged my husband to the cathedral from Two Cathedrals when we were in DC and took a cigarette end with me so I could drop it on the floor. Then I made us go to the White House so I could see where President Bartlet lives.

/WW nerd rant over

I <3 you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:05 am 

Dont you remember my first Avatar? Must see if I've still got it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:35 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Update on work pooping: Ever since I started working here, some dumb student had written 'Finals Suck!' in my pooping stall. Today there is a response! It says right underneath 'So does pooping here.'

I beg to differ, sister.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 am 
A Bad Person

I'm supposed to be going straight from work to the gym for a run, but I forgot to bring a pair of white cotton socks. Now I get to decide between running tonight in my black, half polyester, work socks, or making a trip to Target on my lunch break to buy an emergency pack of cotton socks. Stopping at home on the way to the gym is out of the question, as I'm meeting someone at the gym, and home is nowhere on the way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ahhhhh, it's almost the weekend. I started my day off with some Major Lazer and some Synergy kombucha, and that felt good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:10 am 
Dead by dawn

brian wrote:
I'm supposed to be going straight from work to the gym for a run, but I forgot to bring a pair of white cotton socks. Now I get to decide between running tonight in my black, half polyester, work socks, or making a trip to Target on my lunch break to buy an emergency pack of cotton socks. Stopping at home on the way to the gym is out of the question, as I'm meeting someone at the gym, and home is nowhere on the way.

If it was me, I'd wear the work socks and just sort of scrunch them down so they're not super conspicuous. But I don't run in cotton socks anyway (or cotton anything, for that matter) because it just gets wet and stays wet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1330, 1331, 1332, 1333, 1334, 1335, 1336 ... 1825  Next