| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1358, 1359, 1360, 1361, 1362, 1363, 1364 ... 1846  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Absolutely needs to be a dislike or frowny button. Or they need to change "like" to "acknowledge", which is how most people use it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Do you guys follow Michael Ian Black on twitter? It's kind of hilarious right now because he made a bunch of OBVIOUSLY joking/sarcastic tweets about not supporting gay marriage and now he's retweeting all the people calling him a bigot. Why were they following him in the first place if they didn't get that he is a comedian who makes TONS of inappropriate/offensive jokes. But his jokes are just so obviously jokes that's it's ridiculous that people would be offended by him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:34 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I hate the phrase "disagree with [their] lifestyle". It's a weaselly phrase. It isn't something you agree or disagree. It exists. You can dislike, hate, or condemn someone's lifestyle. But disagree with, no. If you want to discriminate against people because of who they are, own it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Phoenix wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
I'm irresistible.

That's more like it. ;)

Also, how did your job interview thing go?

:p

Got through 2 rounds, but not through to the final one. I feel like I'm unhireable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fisticuffs wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
I'm irresistible.

That's more like it. ;)

Also, how did your job interview thing go?

:p

Got through 2 rounds, but not through to the final one. I feel like I'm unhireable.

Don't give up. It's not you, it's the shitty economy they've manoeuvred us into. I didn't get my dream job 2 years ago (I was "second-best", yay, thanks so much), but now the position is being advertised again, and I'm applying again (with lots of additional qualification). Because I can't not take the chance.
Thinking of you. <3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i just got up and got ready for work like a zombie and now realize i don't have to be at work til the afternoon. i am going back to bed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:03 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There's a dream job open right now that I really want. So I'm actually getting my stuff together and applying. (Have to edit my cover letter and then I'll send it all in) The only con is that it's across the country in San Francisco-which while awesome, is not Boston where I've built up a life. Hrmph.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:41 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

So. This exists.

Quote:
In two acts, common vegans live in an underground world without color led by Sesom, who dreams of color. Sesom is met by an extraordinary creature named Painter who shows him a life of meat and color. Sesom returns underground to recruit disciples for his Cult of Color. Seven enlist, but one, Betto, resists the cult. After battles between good and evil ensue, Betto joins the Cult of Color. Or does he?

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/life-an ... l-to-color

Curiously, all the reviews by more official media (this is a student newspaper), glossed over the vegan/meat bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i think i would choose black and white over a meat-colored world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I saw a commercial truck this morning with "Good Wives hors d'oeuvres" painted on the side, and it made me confused.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

mollyjade wrote:
I am just so sad for people who don't know what hummus and falafel are. They're so delicious.

Same. Anytime I have to explain to people what they are, I'm just kind of dumbfounded. Because the explanation doesn't sound nearly as delicious as the actual things.

Well. Nothing like getting your cervix swabbed with a giant Qtip first thing in the morning. At least I have a script for BC now and I don't have to worry about it for another year. Also, am I the only one who super loves getting their vital stuff taken? I don't own a scale anymore, so it's always interesting to me to see how much I weigh (a little less than the last time I weighed, at least 6 months ago!) and I absolutely LOVE getting my blood pressure taken. Mostly because it's so low that they always compliment me on it. 114/76 today! A little higher than the last time (90/70), but still cool as a cucumber! I also never tire of people (especially medical people) telling me that I don't look anywhere near my actual age. Today I said, 'I blame good genes and veganism!'

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I once knew a girl who tried falafel for the first time and then disparaged it as "just little fried grain balls". I was like, "WRONG it's not made of grains" (in my head).

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 am 
WRETCHED

I can't remember the first time I tried falafel but I think I tried hummus when I was fairly young. I don't think it was the first time I had falafel but when I lived in Denver, my friend and I would go to this Mediterranean type place that had a veggie plate with falafel, baba ghanoush, hummus and maybe dolmas? It was so good. I ate meat and she ate meat but we both ordered the veggie plate. Also, I still think their hummus is the best I've ever had.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:16 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Spring break is busy busy busy and we are not even doing anything.
In other news, after living in this house for three and a half months, there are finally no boxes in the living room.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 am 
Dead by dawn

I regret not trying falafel sooner. In the late 70s we moved to central CA and our town had this tiny little shack of a restaurant called King Falafel. We went there all the time... for the burgers. My mom sort of tried to explain to me what falafel was but I don't think she really even knew at the time. I bet the King made really yummy falafel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am 
WELFARIST!

Now I want a falafel burger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The first time I tried falafel, I made it myself and it turned out horribly oily and gross. Then for a long time I called it awful falafel until finally I had delicious falafel, made by someone else of course. Many years later and I have actually made yummy falafel, but that first disaster delayed my falafel enjoyment for quite a while.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

On my bike ride yesterday, it occurred to me the irony of my vegan journey: I initially went on a vegan diet for the health benefits -- now if you told me my vegan diet would cut 10 years off my life, I would be fine with that.

and I had falafels yesterday for dinner and they were awesome as usual...I do the start in cast pan and transfer to hot over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I always like falafel well enough, but Amsterdam street cart falafel made it true love. Mmm. Now I want vegan frite saus.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

allularpunk wrote:

Well. Nothing like getting your cervix swabbed with a giant Qtip first thing in the morning. At least I have a script for BC now and I don't have to worry about it for another year. Also, am I the only one who super loves getting their vital stuff taken? I don't own a scale anymore, so it's always interesting to me to see how much I weigh (a little less than the last time I weighed, at least 6 months ago!) and I absolutely LOVE getting my blood pressure taken. Mostly because it's so low that they always compliment me on it. 114/76 today! A little higher than the last time (90/70), but still cool as a cucumber! I also never tire of people (especially medical people) telling me that I don't look anywhere near my actual age. Today I said, 'I blame good genes and veganism!'

I inherited low blood pressure from my mother and scared the crepe out of the physician assistant on her first day on the job when she took my blood pressure and it came out as like 60/40 or something close to it (70/40 maybe?). I'm also usually very intentionally relaxing myself for these and it was through a long sleeve shirt. It ended up being more like 90/60 in the end after someone else took it later and I tried to not relax through it, but I kind of felt really bad for her.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I had to hang around and get more fluids after the iron infusion today because my blood pressure was too low. They wanted to me an ensure, so I'll have to bring something for Friday.

I really, really, really can't complain about anything involved with this; most of the other people in the center were getting chemo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:49 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I really, really want to move out of the UK for a while but it's stupidly difficult. I'd pretty much go anywhere but my husband loves his job and will only consider moving to the US or Canada which, whilst they're at the top of my list too, are almost impossible to get into. It isn't helping that the holiday entitlements over there are zero/two weeks a year compared to the six you get here, not great selling points when you're tryna convince someone to move halfway around the world!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:55 pm 
WRETCHED

If I was an EU citizen, I'd move to Greece for a while at least. I loved it there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:10 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

linanil wrote:
If I was an EU citizen, I'd move to Greece for a while at least. I loved it there.

I would certainly consider Greece but without speaking the language it would be very difficult to work there. Barcelona's currently top of my EU list because I can speak a little Spanish now & if I worked hard at it I could probably make it work. But, yeah, it's not me who needs convincing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

jojo wrote:
I really, really want to move out of the UK for a while but it's stupidly difficult. I'd pretty much go anywhere but my husband loves his job and will only consider moving to the US or Canada which, whilst they're at the top of my list too, are almost impossible to get into. It isn't helping that the holiday entitlements over there are zero/two weeks a year compared to the six you get here, not great selling points when you're tryna convince someone to move halfway around the world!

can you guys get working holiday visas in Canada? AU/NZ can (if you're under 30, I think). US is a whole 'nother matter though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1358, 1359, 1360, 1361, 1362, 1363, 1364 ... 1846  Next